Playing Cyberpunk 2077 isn’t going well for last gen console owners

Jet_ski
4 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

ANd the ps4 pro came out in 2016. 4 years. A 4 year old pc could do fine on 2077 (a 6700k and 1080 machine)

Not correct. Nearly every person, including myself, who has streamed or played it off stream, has not been able to play the game at Ultra on a Geforce 1080. One streamer yesterday couldn't get it to run at anything higher than Medium at 1080p.

I normally run games at 4K, and if it hovers around 50-60fps fine. CP2077 was completely fine at 4Kp60 during the character creator, but as soon as it dropped into the game with the mirror, it was less than 10fps. So I dropped it to high, and the game was playable until the car chase, gun fights, etc. So it's either cut the resolution and detail down to high, or cut the detail to medium and keep it at 4K.

This, really isn't CP2077's fault, it's basically the kind of problem that FFXIV 1.0 had, where the released version was optimized a little too far ahead of the equipment that is available. It was likely optimized for PC with PS5 as the console target rather than PS5 as the console target as the cap.

Just now, Kisai said:

Not correct. Nearly every person, including myself, who has streamed or played it off stream, has not been able to play the game at Ultra on a Geforce 1080. One streamer yesterday couldn't get it to run at anything higher than Medium at 1080p.

i meant playable at ok visuals (usually 1080p med, but that perfs better then ps4pro, xbone x, and xss

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I mean, it sucks I guess it will get fixed. But I've seen some comments, people expected some big graphics upgrade on those weak consoles, what a joke. Then again, I was shocked once it was revealed that game will even be on older consoles. Would made much more sense to release for next gen consoles and PC that's it.

The marketshare for new consoles is much too small right now. Were CDPR to make that decision, it would’ve been a better idea to hold back the release a few months. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, CarlBar said:

The argument  that the last gen consoles are old and last gen is irrelevant. it was allways going to be released on them, and was intended to be released on them before the new consoles would have been available. As such it should not run like crap. If you release it on a platform it should work on that platform.

Couldn't agree more. I think they should have just not released it on the old consoles as the experience is probably crap and it would upset customers that spent 60 bucks on the game. 

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I mean, it sucks I guess it will get fixed. But I've seen some comments, people expected some big graphics upgrade on those weak consoles, what a joke. Then again, I was shocked once it was revealed that game will even be on older consoles. Would made much more sense to release for next gen consoles and PC that's it.

To be completely fair, CDPR was probably getting this game onto the PS4 and Xbox One regardless. This game would've been a swan song for those consoles had it been in good shape for its release. 

I'm actually amazed at how dreadfully it runs. And how fucking horrible it looks. GTA V on PS3 and Xbox 360 looked more consistent and better than this. Cyberpunk looks super blurry on the base machines.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

This is a last gen game. They haven't even released a next gen version yet AFAIK. Supposedly said next gen version is supposed to come out some time next year.

Beyond that, the game was supposed to be released back in April, before the new consoles were even released.

Last gen game my butthole.  It's a current gen game.  Funny how the only people whining about this are the people using yesterday's hardware.

"Next gen" games would be those Unreal Engine 5 tech that isn't out yet.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

People seriously believe last gen console is going to smoothly run a next gen title at good visual quality? LMAO

It was supposed to be a current gen title and release window the past like 2 years. It's initial release was supposed to be well before anyone even knew of the next gen consoles. It was built up as a current gen title and you'd expect similar to better than Witcher 3.

2 hours ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Honestly tho, not surprised. The minimum specs call for a GTX 780 right? These consoles roughly match a GTX 660 Ti or 680 if I'm not mistaken. (I might be mistaken tho, I've heard a lot of conflicting info on this)

What's ironic is I have a 960. At the start of this gen it blew away consoles, now I don't even bother with anything in the last 2 or 3 years because it runs like shit.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

I normally run games at 4K, and if it hovers around 50-60fps fine. CP2077 was completely fine at 4Kp60 during the character creator, but as soon as it dropped into the game with the mirror, it was less than 10fps. So I dropped it to high, and the game was playable until the car chase, gun fights, etc. So it's either cut the resolution and detail down to high, or cut the detail to medium and keep it at 4K.

This, really isn't CP2077's fault, it's basically the kind of problem that FFXIV 1.0 had, where the released version was optimized a little too far ahead of the equipment that is available. It was likely optimized for PC with PS5 as the console target rather than PS5 as the console target as the cap.

SkillUp says he has a 3080 and a Ryzen I forget, but with raytracing at 1440 he was only getting 30.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I mean, it sucks I guess it will get fixed.

But will it? It was in development for 7 years, delayed multiple times. How much more time do they need?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

But will it? It was in development for 7 years, delayed multiple times. How much more time do they need?

You can only do so much when scenes are this complex...it'd be far worse if it wasn't built on DX 12.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Actually, you know what's fucking funny? People would complain about modern games needing patches and patches for shit to actually work the way it should. And yet I'm hearing nothing about it concerning Cyberpunk 2077. We all know it's buggy as fuck and runs poorly. And yet no one wants to admit that Cyberpunk is gonna fall victim to the "we'll patch it later" cycle.

57 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Last gen game my butthole.  It's a current gen game.  Funny how the only people whining about this are the people using yesterday's hardware.

It’s a PS4/XB1 game for console. It’s literally last gen. 

You also sound silly projecting your bitterness on me. I don’t own a console aside from a Switch and I don’t even own the game, nor plan on playing it.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Just now, handymanshandle said:

Actually, you know what's fucking funny? People would complain about modern games needing patches and patches for shit to actually work the way it should. And yet I'm hearing nothing about it concerning Cyberpunk 2077. We all know it's buggy as fuck and runs poorly. And yet no one wants to admit that Cyberpunk is gonna fall victim to the "we'll patch it later" cycle.

It isn't releasing with over half the game cut out for DLC, or a game that cost $100 AUD before buying DLC/cut content. Nor is it a case of "just make it ASAP so we can start milking wallets ASAP".

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

"why would people expect it to run well on console lol just get a pc 4head"

There's a huge huge difference between running at 60fps/1080p/4k and looking like someone smeared vaseline all over the camera and having to wait 5s for a texture LOD to update. If it looked better, no one would care if it was 720p 30fps. But the fact is it was announced in 2012, prepro started in 2016, it was heavily marketed for XOS/XOX/PS4/PS4Pro. And the current versions arent even the PS5/XbSX versions either, this is just the base versions. CDPR definitely bit off more than they could chew here.

Just now, Dabombinable said:

It isn't releasing with over half the game cut out for DLC, or a game that cost $100 AUD before buying DLC/cut content. Nor is it a case of "just make it ASAP so we can start milking wallets ASAP".

That's a fair assessment, but it's also buggy as fuck. It's also been in development for a long ass time. I'm not letting Cyberpunk off the hook for being glitchy just because it's a whole game and not a half-a-game with the rest of the game being DLC.

5 minutes ago, bit said:

"why would people expect it to run well on console lol just get a pc 4head"

There's a huge huge difference between running at 60fps/1080p and looking like someone smeared vaseline all over the camera and having to wait 5s for a texture LOD to update. If it looked better, no one would care if it was 720p 30fps. But the fact is it was announced in 2012, prepro started in 2016, it was heavily marketed for XOS/XOX/PS4/PS4Pro. And the current versions arent even the PS5/XbSX versions either, this is just the base versions. CDPR definitely bit off more than they could chew here.

I wrote this on a Discord server I use:

GWo63.png

The problem with Cyberpunk's console ports is not necessarily that it's a demanding game, but rather that it looks really ugly for a game that was supposed to be designed more around the limitations of the PS4 and Xbox One. The game's TAA solution doesn't do it any favors on those consoles, either: it's honestly way worse than how Modern Warfare 2019 fares on Xbox One.

I kinda miss the days when MSAA was a done-deal, even if it was demanding. It was inarguable that it always made a game look cleaner and better. TAA is so damn finicky just because of its nature.

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I wrote this on a Discord server I use:

GWo63.png

The problem with Cyberpunk's console ports is not necessarily that it's a demanding game, but rather that it looks really ugly for a game that was supposed to be designed more around the limitations of the PS4 and Xbox One. The game's TAA solution doesn't do it any favors on those consoles, either: it's honestly way worse than how Modern Warfare 2019 fares on Xbox One.

I kinda miss the days when MSAA was a done-deal, even if it was demanding. It was inarguable that it always made a game look cleaner and better. TAA is so damn finicky just because of its nature.

I'm pretty sure the Doom Eternal Switch port looks better than this. Same with the Doom 2016 port.

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

Um... The console game is actually the last gen game on both the PS5 and XSX the "next gen" version is coming out in an update...

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

That just looks.....objectively awful. It’s not like the PC version fared much better relative to the hardware punch it’s got.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

ANd the ps4 pro came out in 2016. 4 years. A 4 year old pc could do fine on 2077 (a 6700k and 1080 machine)

A 6700K+GTX 1080 is not "a" PC from 2016, though.

24 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Don't worry, there's an upcoming patch that fixes their behavior.

8 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

How much did the 1080 cost? And how much did the ps4 pro cost?

But yea, the game looks horrible on consoles

8 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

LMAO 

LMFAO I'm dying

Is this the reason why they didn't want people streaming it before launch?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Well,... who thought it would run, let alone well,.. on old consoles?

It will run terrible on NEW consoles and we all know it. We knew it months and maybe years in advance actually.

Just like Witcher 3 on the Switch. People ARE dumb enough to buy it anyways for...reasons I guess.

The only thing that comes to mind really: "Stop using the wrong tool for the job!". Bleeding Edge graphics is not gonna work on any console, let alone an old one. Hell: Most PCs won't run it well for a while.

8 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

That's.....not exactly a good comparison. 

A 6700K and a GTX 1080 is significantly beefier (and more expensive) than the PS4 Pro. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

That's.....not exactly a good comparison. 

A 6700K and a GTX 1080 is significantly beefier (and more expensive) than the PS4 Pro. 

And Cyberpunk needs significantly more performance, than a console can and will offer for the next 4-8 years.

Unless, obviously... they turn down the settings some more, to make it in line with the other console games that also just have amazing trailers and look awful while playing.