Apple Destroyed my Expectations.

We finally got our hands on Apple Silicon and put it through its paces to answer the question on everyone’s mind: Can it really replace Intel and provide a smooth desktop experience?

Buy Apple Mac Mini M1
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/JEzh
On Best Buy (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/mmRBV
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/b8lWK1

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

6 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

We finally got our hands on Apple Silicon and put it through its paces to answer the question on everyone’s mind: Can it really replace Intel and provide a smooth desktop experience?

Buy Apple Mac Mini M1

Now that's automatic beyond belief! 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

and my wallet.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

1 minute ago, SlashedM said:

Anyone have this wallpaper?

E81F5E51-07B5-4427-8E44-53C488B7DA4C.png

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

It would be very interesting to see how good Apple can scale this up. Because otherwise x86 will rule supreme.

On the chart written 5600 (without x), a typo or a clue....??

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I can't help but look at this image and wonder.
"Why such a specific number?"
image.thumb.png.2e67b2adaae2374924d806350e6d667f.png
Like nothing wrong with expecting roughly 2x performance from having 2x as many cores in a highly multithreaded application.

Though there can be other bottlenecks and limitations when moving to a higher core count solution that limits that peak performance.
Partly due to Amdahl's law, but more realistically due to bandwidth, power stability, or just cooling.

I am personally of the opinion that it would have been better to put a range for the theoretical score, like 12000-14400. Since it is an estimate, and not real world performance at current. Though, maybe Apple has an 8 core chip as well and you are just "discretely" putting out an actual measured value, but I somehow doubt that, for multiple reasons....

1 hour ago, NeuesTestament said:

It would be very interesting to see how good Apple can scale this up. Because otherwise x86 will rule supreme.

Probably fairly well. Like Nystemy suggested, doubling the cores wouldn't necessarily lead to double the performance. But Apple has a knack for wringing a lot of performance out of its chips, and there's a real chance we'll be wondering how higher-end MacBook Pros and lower-end iMacs are competing well against higher-end PCs.

from my very limited testing I couldn't get more than 4 displays (on an RTX 2080S) with MST hubs, so I would assume if it's limited to 2 displays you probably won't be able to get more with an MST hub (though maybe Apple has a different limitation).

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- GPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB
RAM: 32GB @ 4800 MTs

Storage: OEM 1TB M.2
Display: Main 1800p@120Hz OLED + Screnpad Plus 2880x864@120Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Buy Apple Mac Mini M1

Still doesn't know how to read a graph I see

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

Scale up and put a real gpu in. They were nice enough on the video not to use 2070S in Blender with optix or not to do a gpu enabled Davinci Resolve benchmark.

How does this thing breathe? Looks like the entire underside is covered with that giant black plastic foot.

image.thumb.png.8970f06455f96de2b524a7deaf710eac.png

And underneath there are ventelation holes? I'm confused.

image.png.b5b2b2486346483b7ae7b938641c592b.png

Great work @GabenJr and Linus.

As some have seen I have a 16 GB M1 Mini and I, as a long time Mac user, am very happy with it. 

Only thing I thing you should have emphasized more on is the responsiveness of the system (I just don't know how you could do that), because that is a thing I feel is hard to get across to people that haven't tried an M1 Mac. 

Also someone at LMG should get Linus to daily drive a M1 mac for a month, I would like to see what Linus would think of a macOS once he has used it long enough to get out of the "it should be this way because it is like this in windows" mentality. 

Am I misreading this chart? It looks like the i7 Mac Mini was beating the M1 by 23 seconds (12:32 on YouTube). Other than that I loved the video.

M1 Mac Mini Mystake.PNG

14 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

There’s already large scale use of ARM chips in servers. I think Apple has already had that figured out especially for the likes of the future Mac Pro refresh, heck they can even bring back Xserve should they wish if only macOS Server is as good as Fedora, RHEL, or even Windows Server. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Wrote a short comment on floatplane about Prime95, but want to expand here now I tried to do some more digging.

Prime95 makes good use of FP64 resources, mainly through AVX instructions of modern x86 CPUs although older SIMD instructions are also supported. At least since Sandy Bridge and Zen. It is also the case these instructions consume relatively higher power than average. So x86 CPUs running hot on Prime95 relies on the CPU having a good FP64 execution rate. FMA instructions were added with Haswell which saw a good jump in performance over Sandy Bridge. Zen always supported FMA, but Zen and Zen+ only had two 128-bit execution units, and didn't match Intel's two 256-bit execution units until Zen 2. 

My concern is that we don't know how well the M1 runs Prime95 x86 code. If it runs it poorly, this will show up as lower power consumption. So throughput of Prime95 needs to be checked and compared also. There is a built in benchmark which will run various FFT sizes and give a throughput score. Different size FFTs can't be directly compared with each other. A rule of thumb guide is that FFT size multiplied by 8 gives the data set size. Multiply by number of workers for effective total data set size. A worker may have multiple threads working on the same data. The total data set size may be compared to L3 cache size to see if it can run "on CPU" or if it then also becomes subject to ram bandwidth considerations at bigger sizes. For time efficiency it may be worth manually running a small and large FFT size for comparison, as opposed to the whole range.

The four 128-bit NEON pipelines thus on paper match the current throughput capabilities of desktop cores from AMD and Intel, albeit with smaller vectors. Floating-point operations throughput here is 1:1 with the pipeline count, meaning Firestorm can do 4 FADDs and 4 FMULs per cycle with respectively 3 and 4 cycles latency. That’s quadruple the per-cycle throughput of Intel CPUs and previous AMD CPUs, and still double that of the recent Zen3, of course, still running at lower frequency.

From: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16226/apple-silicon-m1-a14-deep-dive/2

Above is the only write up on the FP execution potential of the M1 I've managed to find so far, and I find it confusingly written. 4x128-bit pipelines does match Intel since at least Sandy Bridge, and Zen 2, both of which essentially have two 256-bit execution units. It is unclear to me if the M1 can do FMULs across its entire width, or does it count separate FADDs to make up the numbers? I believe Intel and AMD can do FMAs across the width. Intel FMA latency is 4 cycles from memory (in Skylake), without looking up to double check, so that's comparable to the M1's FMUL. I don't see how the M1 can have higher cycle throughput as claimed in the article based on what's presented. In the best case I see parity. Also as far as I'm aware there was no change to the FP execution units in Zen 3 vs Zen 2 so I wouldn't expect a factor of two difference there.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

As someone who doesn't follow Apple's business plan, the switch the non-x86 (ARM I assume?) is somewhat surprising to me.

Anyone wanna enlighten me as to why Apple has made this move?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

1) Dramatically lower power consumption.

2) Potentially higher performance.

3) Lower heat output.

4) Bigger control over their own release schedule. A delay from Intel will no longer delay upgrades of Apple's own products.

5) Easier to maintain compatibility and share resources with their iPhone and iPad development and designs.

6) Probably lower cost for the manufacturing of the chips. If they are buying chips from Intel, Intel wants to make a profit as well. If Apple makes their own chips, they do not have to share the profits with Intel.

There are also a lot of drawbacks, such as a massive risk, and needing a ton of investment, but a lot of that is something they are already doing because they develop their own iPhone and iPad chips.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Bigger control over their own release schedule

I thought nVidia was trying to buy ARM, is this a case of Apple licensing the ability to produce their own ARM chips so they control the workflow (so to speak) and what happens to ARM (the company) is immaterial?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

As someone who doesn't follow Apple's business plan, the switch the non-x86 (ARM I assume?) is somewhat surprising to me.

I think this move make total sane for apple. There three reason:

1: is apple love total control over everything from  software, hardware to reaper, by going ARM with they own CPU now there have total control over that part of hardware. I did think there may more back to Power (PowerPC) or something different CPU. I think there will try to block Linux and Windows from running maybe on M2. 

2: To make them more different from PC, so there can say there not a PC it also make easy to hard problems or performance.  

3. There was make ARM CPU anyway for the Iphone so by doing this could have to cut costs. 

They did a really good job with the M1, I think for reason two they will not every sell this or any CPU for other company or PC. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

I thought nVidia was trying to buy ARM, is this a case of Apple licensing the ability to produce their own ARM chips so they control the workflow (so to speak) and what happens to ARM (the company) is immaterial?

It most likely nvidia will keep licensing ARM instruction set out, but apple can added new instructions to make them self different from others.  Who know how long the licensing term are for, it could be 10+ year. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes exactly.

Nvidia might buy ARM, but ARM in and of itself is just an instruction set, just like x86 is an instruction set. Just because a CPU is an ARM CPU does not mean it is just like all other ARM CPUs, in the same way an Intel CPU is not the same as an AMD CPU.

Both accept the same instructions (x86 in the case of Intel and AMD, ARM in the case of Apple, Qualcomm, etc).

So even if Nvidia buys ARM, the cores in Apple products are designed in-house. Apple (ARM CPU maker) won't be at the mercy of Nvidia (potential ARM owner) anymore than AMD (x86 CPU maker) is at the mercy of Intel (x86 owner).