Apple Destroyed my Expectations.

19 hours ago, Senzelian said:

How does this thing breathe? Looks like the entire underside is covered with that giant black plastic foot.

image.thumb.png.8970f06455f96de2b524a7deaf710eac.png

And underneath there are ventelation holes? I'm confused.

image.png.b5b2b2486346483b7ae7b938641c592b.png

There's a vent in the back that takes output from the fan. Remember, the M1 is a very power-efficient chip and doesn't need extensive cooling.

25 minutes ago, Commodus said:

There's a vent in the back that takes output from the fan. Remember, the M1 is a very power-efficient chip and doesn't need extensive cooling.

I know there is an exhaust, but for it to exhaust air, you need to let air into the chassis via an intake.

Doesn't matter how efficient the chip is. If you go through all the trouble of putting a fan into the chassis, then you might aswell use it properly.

But I already found out, that it actually has an intake. It's just incredibly small...

mac_mini_airflow_dust.jpg?itok=x1YmSmKD&timestamp=1521347551

https://fstoppers.com/originals/dont-make-my-mistake-how-minute-spring-cleaning-made-my-computer-run-new-again-233330

10 hours ago, Spindel said:

Only thing I thing聽you should have emphasized more on is the responsiveness of the system (I just don't know how you could do that),

It's called "suggestion" and "confirmation bias".

I think sticking to what they can measure is the right call.

At聽https://youtu.be/4MkrEMjPk24?t=750, Linus says the M1 smoked the old Mini, but the graph shows differently? Mistake?

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

I know there is an exhaust, but for it to exhaust air, you need to let air into the chassis via an intake.

Doesn't matter how efficient the chip is. If you go through all the trouble of putting a fan into the chassis, then you might aswell use it properly.

But I already found out, that it actually has an intake. It's just incredibly small...

mac_mini_airflow_dust.jpg?itok=x1YmSmKD&timestamp=1521347551

https://fstoppers.com/originals/dont-make-my-mistake-how-minute-spring-cleaning-made-my-computer-run-new-again-233330

Ah, my apologies. And that is... subtle. Not so much an issue with the low power draw, but you definitely won't see a giant intake on the Mac mini any time soon.

59 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

At聽https://youtu.be/4MkrEMjPk24?t=750, Linus says the M1 smoked the old Mini, but the graph shows differently? Mistake?

I've noticed every now and then that their script tends to be quite strong ("X destroys Y", "X is no match for Y", "it's basically the same"), despite their charts showing a more nuanced set of results. Sometimes a product has a 10% higher score and therefore "destroys the other one", and in the next graph "everything is within 10%, so they're basically the same". Or "the results reverse once you do X", but the graphs show a reversal of rankings only in some cases, and things like that.

In those cases, I get the feeling that after a large number of tests, a lot of the information obtained gets lost in a summary that tries to be too simplistic in order to be easily processed by everyone.

Of course, when X truly聽destroys聽Y then the dissonance disappears :P

What GPU was paired with the 5600X?聽 There were some GPU benchmarks in there but they were just listed as "5600" not the discreet GPU used.聽

3 hours ago, GodAtum said:

I commented on that last night after I finished doing some homework, maybe the M1 and i7 lines are flipped on accident?

14 hours ago, Anstarmus said:

Am I misreading this chart? It looks like the i7 Mac Mini was beating the M1 by 23 seconds (12:32 on YouTube). Other than that I loved the video.

M1 Mac Mini Mystake.PNG

1 hour ago, Gavin Greenwalt said:

What GPU was paired with the 5600X?聽 There were some GPU benchmarks in there but they were just listed as "5600" not the discreet GPU used.聽

It was the 2070 Super

8 hours ago, A51UK said:

I think this move make total sane for apple. There three reason:

1: is apple love total control over everything from聽聽software, hardware to reaper, by going ARM with they聽own CPU now there have total control over that part of hardware. I did think there may more back to Power (PowerPC) or something different聽CPU. I think there will try to block Linux聽and Windows from running maybe on M2.聽

2: To make them more different from PC, so there can say there not a PC it also make easy to hard problems or聽performance.聽聽

3. There was make ARM CPU anyway for the Iphone so by doing this could have to cut costs.聽

They did a really good job with the M1, I think for reason two they will not every sell this or any CPU for other company or PC.聽

I heavily doubt that they will block either Linux or Windows. Otherwise, why would they demo Parallels running Debian on their WWDC presentation? Also, that would have been a super stupid move which would alienate a lot of developers from the platform (and not all Apple users are video editors or students whose parents have too much money, you know :)).

9 hours ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

I heavily doubt that they will block either Linux or Windows. Otherwise, why would they demo Parallels running Debian on their WWDC presentation? Also, that would have been a super stupid move which would alienate a lot of developers from the platform (and not all Apple users are video editors or students whose parents have too much money, you know :)).

You maybe right, I cannot see that myself. I think they would not block Linux and Windows after聽the end of moving all the user and mac over to ARM. I do know someone who does聽developers on Mac, he told me that no needed for Linux聽on the Mac as Mac OS can run most Linux聽programs. I think apple will in the end block聽Linux and Windows but most likely聽allow virtual machine (e.g. parallels) that run Linux and Windows, this very different to boot camp or dual booting, I think there do not care about聽alienate of聽developers as if you want to聽developer for iPhone聽you have to use MacOS there no choices (this have alienate a lot of聽developers聽including myself as I would love to build apps for IPhone but does like be force to have Mac with MacOS ).聽 I could be wrong and could become more open like Microsoft聽as in聽the last few year.聽 聽

When I mean ban聽Linux and Windows I mean on bare metal not in Virtual Machine (VM).聽Note:聽Java, .Net, Parallels , Rosetta 2 are all Virtual Machine that run on top of Mac OS.聽

4 hours ago, A51UK said:

You maybe right, I cannot see that myself. I think they would not block Linux and Windows after聽the end of moving all the user and mac over to ARM. I do know someone who does聽developers on Mac, he told me that no needed for Linux聽on the Mac as Mac OS can run most Linux聽programs. I think apple will in the end block聽Linux and Windows but most likely聽allow virtual machine (e.g. parallels) that run Linux and Windows, this very different to boot camp or dual booting, I think there do not care about聽alienate of聽developers as if you want to聽developer for iPhone聽you have to use MacOS there no choices (this have alienate a lot of聽developers聽including myself as I would love to build apps for IPhone but does like be force to have Mac with MacOS ).聽 I could be wrong and could become more open like Microsoft聽as in聽the last few year.聽 聽

When I mean ban聽Linux and Windows I mean on bare metal not in Virtual Machine (VM).聽Note:聽Java, .Net, Parallels , Rosetta 2 are all Virtual Machine that run on top of Mac OS.聽

I actually don't think getting Linux to run on M1 macs will be a problem.

The problem will be to get M1 Linux to run well on M1 Macs and utilize all built in functions (NE, GPU, switching processes between firestorm and icestorm cores etc). Because why would Apple release documentation on how to access everything on a hardware level?聽

4 hours ago, Spindel said:

I actually don't think getting Linux to run on M1 macs will be a problem.

The problem will be to get M1 Linux to run well on M1 Macs and utilize all built in functions (NE, GPU, switching processes between firestorm and icestorm cores etc). Because why would Apple release documentation on how to access everything on a hardware level?聽

I think the problem may not be the M1 but many be when M2 come out, as Apple make the CPU they聽could very easy put in a kill code into CPU to stop other OS from running.聽聽A example of this would be when OS start a new process code the OS have to send the kill code before or after if not the CPU would not run that聽instruction. A good example of a company doing this in real life was Microsoft Windows 1 to 3.聽I not sure which one but there was a kill code to stop from running on Non-Microsoft MS-DOS like DR-DOS. They may not do this but they could if they want to, I think they聽would.