AMD Ryzen accounts for over 25% of CPUs among Steam users via Steam's Hardware Survey

RyzenSteamcopy.thumb.jpg.80a9b6f328a179df85c00040f91b843b.jpg

SteamStatscopy.thumb.jpg.413b90921af26bf4cdaea1502a540d31.jpg

Steam's Hardware Survey for September 2020 paints an interesting picture for AMD. The Red Team is pushing some of its most competitive CPUs in years, and while Zen was a slow burn with gamers early on, that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. 

The latest Steam Hardware Survey has AMD laying claim to more than 25 percent of the CPU share among Steam's polled user base. The September 2020 numbers come in at 25.75 percent for AMD, to be exact, marking a 0.84% improvement since August. Meanwhile, Intel still holds the lion's share at 74.24 percent, notching a 0.85% decline month-over-month. Still, AMD has seen continued growth among Steam's users for months -- a trend that's unlikely to wane with Zen 3 right around the corner.

Quad-core CPUs still hold the majority of the market share on Steam at 45.69 percent. However, quad-cores have been steadily on the decline, giving away market share to hexa-core CPUs over the last several months, as 6-core CPUs now account for 26.39 percent of the CPUs installed among Steam users. 

Looking pretty darn good on the CPU side for AMD considering it has only been 4 years since Zen/Ryzen launched. Sadly though, according to these statistics, Radeon isn't doing so well. Only the RX 580 had the ability of making it into the top 10. 

Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/86969-amd-now-accounts-over-25-cpus-among-steam.html

This is good.

Now if they manage to do with their GPU what they have done with Ryzen, that'd be great.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Anybody else thought this was some more ryzen 5000 news the moment they read amd?  

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOO.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

25% in 3 years. Given how hard of a time AMD is giving Intel right now, it won't be long till they get to 50%.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

6 minutes ago, vong said:

25% in 3 years. Given how hard of a time AMD is giving Intel right now, it won't be long till they get to 50%.

I think that road to 50% will be much slower than was to 25%.

Ryzen was a good reason for many people to finally upgrade for quite cheap and while there are still people that wait for Zen3, it will likely not be such a massive jump in Ryzen users as it was till now.

24 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

This is good.

Now if they manage to do with their GPU what they have done with Ryzen, that'd be great.

Well, with the success of the Ryzen platform now...they can put some real capital into GPU R&D...let's see what they can do now!

24 minutes ago, nbrowser said:

Well, with the success of the Ryzen platform now...they can put some real capital into GPU R&D...let's see what they can do now!

First of all, Steam sucks ass for not putting their stats in CSV format....

That said, I was able to pull just DX12 based cards and calculate the total number of AMD cards in use for September 2020. So far, just 10.18%. The RX 590, 580, and 570 alone account for a total of 4.61%. That's not good.

Some of the systems surveyed will have something rather borderline...such as a Duron...POS A8 4555M...or dual Pentium III.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

49 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

dual Pentium III

That's cheating, trying to count as two 🤣

Really though I'll tip my hat if there is an active system of that configuration in the survey data lol

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Some of the systems surveyed will have something rather borderline...such as a Duron...POS A8 4555M...or dual Pentium III.

Keep in mind many people may have a secondary laptop with Intel - inflating the percentage of Intel computers per user.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Ryzen was a good reason for many people to finally upgrade for quite cheap and while there are still people that wait for Zen3, it will likely not be such a massive jump in Ryzen users as it was till now.

100% this, for a couple of reasons:

1. Many of the people buying Zen 3 will already be AMD users. As the final series of chips for AM4, Zen 3 will be a very enticing upgrade to many current Zen/Zen+ owners, especially those with B450 motherboards.

2. Relatedly: AMD pretty much has the enthusiast PC market at this point. What they don't have is the BestBuy PC market - the family PC that the kid games on. Is this due to integrators not choosing their products, or because AMD's branding is atrocious? Lets be real, it's both. There aren't many systems out there with AMD chips in them - TYVM Intel - but we've also heard over and over that AMD systems don't sell nearly as well as Intel ones and so in part I can't really blame BestBuy for making more Intel based systems anyway. They're trying to make money too.

People know the i5/i7/i9 naming scheme - they know the Intel logo and jingle - and so they'd rather stick with the brand they know than to trust the guy in the store who they think is trying to scam them. AMD's marketing department need to seriously up their game here - although maybe making sure they have a marketing department would be a safer start (stop advertising with managers through twitter!) - and then maybe they won't have people asking "what's an AMD?" when they walk into the store.

3. Steam is picking up a lot of laptops here, where Intel pretty much still reigns supreme. 4000 series is good, but they're not helped by the lack of good laptop designs for their products or the fact that they're having a massive shortage of chips at the moment. It's practically impossible to buy a Ryzen 4000 series laptop right now, which isn't ideal when you've got an amazing product to sell - just ask Nvidia!.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

How much of that AMD percentage is not Ryzen?

Every Ryzen desktop CPU has had a base clock of 3GHz or higher (afaik), so at most their older, non-Ryzen cpus will account for about 4% of the overall total. That will be an overestimate though that includes some Ryzen based laptops.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

2 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Every Ryzen desktop CPU has had a base clock of 3GHz or higher (afaik), so at most their older, non-Ryzen cpus will account for about 4% of the overall total. That will be an overestimate though that includes some Ryzen based laptops.

Just noticed in the Hardware survey that 0.87% of GPUs surveyed by Steam happens to be the Radeon Vega 8 iGPU, so I guess ~0.87% of the CPUs surveyed have to be things with the Vega 8 iGPU. 

Which actually bodes pretty decently for substantiating a small percentage of Steam users using Ryzen.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

Not necessarily. Especially not in enterprise space. A lot of companies was waiting there for Zen based CPU's to prove themselves as there you don't just jump to brand new unproven tech. Now that Zen is very mature, you can expect even larger adoption. Especially because that's the segment where MOAR CORES means even more. And when you have thousands of CPU's in server clusters, cost matters too as they are slightly cheaper than Intel offerings.

Also wait for Ryzen 5000 series. Zen 3 is going to be a massive jump again after Zen 2 already being a significant upgrade. Even more people will follow.

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Not necessarily. Especially not in enterprise space. A lot of companies was waiting there for Zen based CPU's to prove themselves as there you don't just jump to brand new unproven tech. Now that Zen is very mature, you can expect even larger adoption. Especially because that's the segment where MOAR CORES means even more. And when you have thousands of CPU's in server clusters, cost matters too as they are slightly cheaper than Intel offerings.

Also wait for Ryzen 5000 series. Zen 3 is going to be a massive jump again after Zen 2 already being a significant upgrade. Even more people will follow.

I'm talking about Steam users and not enterprise 

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I'm talking about Steam users and not enterprise 

It's not much different. Also there are a lot of people who are still holding on to 4970k and the likes CPU's that still work and are kinda getting obsolete now. Those people, if AMD keeps up the pace will go with AMD when upgrade is due for them. I'm also on aging 5820k and I sort of have plans to go with Ryzen 5000 series next year. Or whenever they get released. And that's all the percentage that's not captured by AMD yet. Mobile is also getting stronger on their end and you'll also see more and more Ryzen CPU's there. For as long as AMD can keep up the current pace, they will get to 50% and even past that unless Intel distrupts this somehow.

And yes, successful enterprise does help hugely. It's the brand image as well as just income. It's enterprise where the big money is. And then that helps R&D that also ends up in consumer products.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

That's cheating, trying to count as two 🤣

Really though I'll tip my hat if there is an active system of that configuration in the survey data lol

My Abit VP6 with 2x Pentium III 1000 and 4x512MB of perfectly matched SDRAM.

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Keep in mind many people may have a secondary laptop with Intel - inflating the percentage of Intel computers per user.

This tablet with a Core M3-6Y30.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

A more interesting question is how does the Steam Hardware Survey work now? In the past, it would occasionally ask if you want to participate, and only if you said yes, would your data get sent. Have they changed that so every Steam install is now monitored?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Okay but side note

image.png.cf7bdd8ca075f3c8f0d621be2278c1d2.png

Which one of you nerds doesn't have a mic? 

Give that 45% of all CPU's are still 4 cores, I expect this for fall with relation to AMD % share going up, as a majority of older 4 core units are likely Intel (2700k, 4790k, 6700k, etc)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Okay but side note

image.png.cf7bdd8ca075f3c8f0d621be2278c1d2.png

Which one of you nerds doesn't have a mic? 

Give that 45% of all CPU's are still 4 cores, I expect this for fall with relation to AMD % share going up, as a majority of older 4 core units are likely Intel (2700k, 4790k, 6700k, etc)

I don't have a mic and I don't need it.

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

much interestings, nice to more competition

46 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

-probably unnecessary snippy snap but why not-

*slowly raises hand*

kroambox with linux no likes audio jack and no onboard mic

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh