Which is Scarier? Aliens or No Aliens

UnfinishedBizz
2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

More like to escape getting burnt at the Stake... The Burning Times as the Wicca and Neopagans call it.

I used to be a Wiccan.  You know who Gardener was? He was the guy who made up Wicca in the 60’s.  People who think Wicca is actually older than that were known in the community as “fluff bunnies”.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Are you talking about the Spanish Inquisition?  That thing that was part of the Hundred Years’ War and that happened in the 15th century?  Where the Jesuits were tasked by the then sitting Pope?

It would be hundreds of times more appropriate  to judge Japan by the actions of parts of its military in world war2. 
An interesting point to note though is why the jesuits might have been chosen to be tasked with such a thing? 

The Spanish Inquisition was by a high ranking Monk or Priest to help Spain weed out those who were suspected of actually being Jews and Moslems pretending to be faithful Christians. I'm not sure if he bothered to ask the current Pope then for Permission first.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I used to be a Wiccan.  You know who Gardener was? He was the guy who made up Wicca in the 60’s.  People who think Wicca is actually older than that were known in the community as “fluff bunnies”.

Well Witchcraft was still practice long before Gardener invented Wicca. And wasn't he opposed to Homosexuality or at least the Male version?

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

The Spanish Inquisition was by a high ranking Monk or Priest to help Spain weed out those who were suspected of actually being Jews and Moslems pretending to be faithful Christians. I'm not sure if he bothered to ask current Pope for Permission first.

Not the way I heard it at all.  They weren’t looking for Jews and Muslims so much as they were looking for Protestants.  Now the Spanish monarchy, THEY might have been doing so, and there could have been a synergy there,   It was a pretty famous shitshow.  As to “some priest” it was an actual papal decree and order.  It’s pretty well documented.  Some of its most awful abuses were in Spain which is why its popularly known as “the Spanish Inquisition”, but the inquisition was a general edict. 

None of this at all though applies to the origin of science. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well Witchcraft was still practice long before Gardener invented Wicca. And wasn't he opposed to Homosexuality or at least the Male version?

Gardener was a general creep.  He had all sorts of nasty sexual proclivities.  Getting rid of gardener was imho a very good thing.  As for “Witchcraft” isn’t nor ever has actually been a thing.  It’s a catch all term which is self referential. Like “I’m a pagan”.  Things don’t divide up that way and never did.

On 10/2/2020 at 2:05 AM, Fatih19 said:

I'm more concerned with people who NEED us to not be alone so badly to avoid having an existential crisis.

Maybe they are having an Extraterrestrial crisis😅🙃

On 10/7/2020 at 1:20 PM, Praesi said:

A first Contact like in Contact, which provides a solution beyond our known physic laws, is the only way this could possible.

With Lightspeed alone, we will never reach anything outside the Sol System.

The Center of our own Galaxy is 150k Lightyears away. The next Galaxy, Andromeda, which is basicly in our backyard is 3 million Lightyears away.

Not even with with a Lightspeed fast Generationship we would reach anything.

This is not true - at least if we are considering generational ships too. 

The closest solar system - Alpha Centauri - is around 4.37 light years away. 

If we manage to get conventional propulsion systems to approach anywhere near light speed, then reaching other systems in our galactic neighbourhood is simply inevitable.

If we can reach significant percentages of c, then we could even reach the closer systems in a single human lifespan. 

And honestly in the span of thousands of years, either reaching near c, or discovering science that can allow superluminal travel, is just a matter of time. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If we manage to get conventional propulsion systems to approach anywhere near light speed, then reaching other systems in our galactic neighbourhood is simply inevitable.

If we can reach significant percentages of c, then we could even reach the closer systems in a single human lifespan. 

And honestly in the span of thousands of years, either reaching near c, or discovering science that can allow superluminal travel, is just a matter of time. 

Not convinced of the inevitability.  There are some big ifs attached

I don't think either one is particularly scary.

I can't fathom how anyone would think that there isn't alien life out there. What's the calculation? There are more planets in the universe than the grains of sand on all of earths beaches? Think about that for a second, and if you truly still think that life hasn't evolved on a single one of those planets, I'd say you're just daft. Hell, just recently they discovered 24 super habitable planets relatively close to earth that could support life better than we support it here. On top of this point, I've never understood why scientists are so dead set on thinking a planet has to be exactly like earth to support life. How do we know there aren't lifeforms that breath carbon dioxide, consume phosphates, and shit out diamonds? Just because we haven't found them yet, doesn't mean they don't exist.

People often say that if aliens could travel to other planets, they would have contacted us by now. To that, I say two things; one, how do you know they haven't already and it's just being held secret because we can't handle the truth, and two, if they haven't made contact, why would they? If a being can travel around the stars, we'd have nothing to offer them that they couldn't find out themselves with relative ease.

I don't think mankind is ready for space travel, and when we start, I don't think we'll fit in with the rest of the galaxy. We're a parasite. We'd destroy other worlds to get their resources and just be an all around pest. Unless we somehow manage to completely change our way of thinking, I don't think we'll ever be allowed space-faring technology.

What scares me?

AI. Right now AI is about as smart as a worm, but it could easily go the wrong way awfully quickly.

I still like the thought that we're a computer program, or an experiment in something's petri dish. Then there's the whole alternate dimension theories.

It calms me to think that with infinite dimensions, in one of them I'm married to EmRata.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:24 AM, SansVarnic said:

NASA has already admitted that UFO's are real soooo....

I mean. They basically just admitted that there's things they see flying around that they don't know what they are.

It's not hard to think that they could just be Russian or Chinese technology.

Until they finally say it's extra terrestrial life...

On 10/2/2020 at 12:28 AM, mahyar said:

imo none of them matters! if are aliens out there they can't even notice us or their tech might not be as good as us if they doesnt exist well what's the problem with that

Hahaha, what? You're kidding. If they're able to make their way to our planet, and fly around without us noticing, then they're tech is by far more advanced than ours.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:54 AM, Briggsy said:

Unless we search every last corner of the universe and come up empty, we would never know for sure that there are no aliens.  

Thing is, even our own planet goes through extinction cycles, and we're currently in one right now. So an alien civilization could visit earth in a million years and earth has life on it that is completely alien to life that exists right now. 

It's that pesky dimension of Time that really makes it hard for two alien civilizations to even have the chance of making contact. 

Then theres the possibility that we colonize other planets and solar systems, and over time evolve on other planets to become "aliens." If we are alone in the universe, then that means the milky way will eventually be dominated by humanoids from earth. Given how we've abused this planet, that doesn't bode well for the milky way. If there is other life out there in the milky way and they wish to preserve life and nature in the galaxy, humans would be seen as a threat to that stability because we're consumers of our environment. 

I think what's scary is how we would be perceived to an alien civilization. We're bullies on this planet, probably wouldn't change out in space.

Exactly this. I genuinely believe that we'll never be allowed the technology to explore to points where we can cause real damage.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:11 AM, Lord Vile said:

One of those things we'll likely never know. The closest star is 4.3 light years away so they're never getting here and we're never getting there and that's if they're the closest possible to us. It is likely there's some form of life out there though. 

That's awfully close minded. I'm pretty sure in the middle ages they said we'd never get to the moon. Hell, I'm pretty sure in the 1700s, they said we'd never get to the moon.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:49 AM, isladlewis said:

You mean Asians are look like an alien.

It's interesting, but if you really think about it, by the time we're able to have advanced space travel a huge percentage of the world could very well be Chinese.

Or, at least Chinese in ancestry. They're the largest population of a single race; they'll have the best chance at becoming the global norm.

Therefore, if some theories are true and aliens are simply time travelers, it's not hard to believe that's what we could look like in 10,000 years.

On 10/2/2020 at 10:59 AM, Bad5ector said:

To me the scariest thing is the eventual heat death of the universe.  I actually lay awake some nights thinking about it and it makes me terribly sad.

I mean, that's based on what we know now isn't it? That could easily change as we get to know more about the universe.

How many times have they been certain about something, only to discover something new that goes completely against mankind's perceived belief of the way things are in the universe?

On 10/2/2020 at 11:59 AM, Stockholmes said:

Aliens are actually already here, there's plenty of proof on youtube :D. Just have to search for it!

Elon Musk :ph34r:

On 10/2/2020 at 5:33 PM, Caroline said:

It'd be better if there are no aliens whether those are little grey men, horrid creatures, machines or cute blondes out there. 

This movie depicts why.

Bring on the cute blondes!!

On 10/2/2020 at 6:07 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

I think the most likely answer is the most disappointing: there is life, but it's extremely basic, single-celled organisms at best. Although it would be pretty fucking cool if there were other species as advanced or more advanced than we are (or, I guess, will be), it's unlikely imo.

I highly, highly doubt that. To think that out of the 720,000,000,000,000,000,000 some-odd planets, none but ours supports and had the conditions for intelligent life is a very, very narrow minded belief.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:04 AM, Shreyas1 said:

I am more afraid of a potential great filter in our future than a race of aliens that are too far away to even communicate with, much less reach us.

Why would you think that they would want to communicate with us? There's loads of proof that they've already reached us.

On 10/5/2020 at 11:55 PM, RorzNZ said:

There are aliens, but statistically they are probably some dumb plant or f**cling bacteria.

What makes you think that? Statistically I'd say the odds are very much in the other direction.

On 10/6/2020 at 3:18 AM, whm1974 said:

Because Planets capable of supporting Complex Life are rare to whatever degree in the Cosmos? They need our World and/or want to preserve our Oasis from us Humans destroying Earth. 

They're actually not that rare.

Not only that, that's just people assuming that life would have to be created with the exact conditions we have here. Which is rather asinine.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, Commodus said:

Nah, I'm more interested in tangible evidence than conspiracy theories. Heck, if you want a more serious look at what alien first contact would be like, Arrival is a better pick than either of those!

Agreed, and I think the best look at what we'd be like on other planets would be Avatar, honestly.

Which is also why I think that aliens watch over our planet, and make sure we don't gain access to that kind of technology. We're just not ready.

"Look at these creatures, throwing things up into their orbit."
We're basically the white trash hill billys of the galaxy.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:58 PM, dalekphalm said:

Those are "non-fictional documentaries" - assuming you believe what they're saying.

The Bob Lazaar story is a bit more credible than others, and seems to match the technical characteristics of the UFO video footage we've seen from various national Navies.

But even if it's true, there's still very little evidence for it.

If the US Government has data on legit intelligent alien activity, they're keeping it under wraps from most of the government (particularly elected officials like Congress and the President).

The whole Bob Lazaar thing is definitely interesting. However, I don't think the US Government is the one that controls any of the research and development, or anything of that nature. Governments are notoriously bad at keeping secrets. It's almost certainly in the hands of some very private corporations. It also makes it so that those entities don't have to answer to the general public should any questions eventually arise. Freedom of information act? Doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Don't they also already have theoretical designs for that? Where they bend space around the ship? IIRC they just need a fuel source to power the reaction. Which might make it seem age away, but at the rate we've been advancing who knows what's possible. I think as soon as someone figures out force fields, we'll be able to advance space travel at a much more rapid rate.

That's not even taking into consideration things like cryostasis.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Hahaha, what? You're kidding. If they're able to make their way to our planet, and fly around without us noticing, then they're tech is by far more advanced than ours.

first they might be peaceful and second uranium is not a common element in galaxy

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

@dizmo

There are certain conditions where life can’t exist. For example “shit out diamonds” would quite literally be impossible. Same as if the temp was say 30K 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, mahyar said:

first they might be peaceful and second uranium is not a common element in galaxy

And they might not be Peaceful at all. And what does Uranium not being a common element has to do with Tech far more advanced then Humans currently have?

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

And they might not be Peaceful at all. And what does Uranium not being a common element has to do with Tech far more advanced then Humans currently have?

the shear radio activity of that thing need a lead wall as thick as 1 meter to avoid and heat produced from a nuclear blast is unbelievable 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

3 minutes ago, mahyar said:

the shear radio activity of that thing need a lead wall as thicc as 1 meter and heat produced from a nuclear blast is unbelievable 

And what thing is this? I reread that post and I don't see where the ET power source/FTL Drive is mentioned.

3 minutes ago, mahyar said:

the shear radio activity of that thing need a lead wall as thick as 1 meter to avoid and heat produced from a nuclear blast is unbelievable 

Assumes lead is the only way to stop gamma rays. There are things we know do it well.  Nuclear reactors use graphite or water. magnetic fields can do it.  There was a sci-fi novel series from the 60’s where they used “collapsed nickel” which was collapsium.  Effectively dwarf star material.  Larry Niven’s novels used stasis fields.  That’s the thing about “technology more advanced than our own” no telling what it might have. 

CULTS

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 10/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, SansVarnic said:

NASA has already admitted that UFO's are real soooo....

UFOs are what they are, Unidentified, doesn't really mean anything though, strangely odd all these are found only near US, i'm like most certain its military prototypes.   

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 10/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, whm1974 said:

Because Planets capable of supporting Complex Life are rare to whatever degree in the Cosmos?

Based on our current capabilities to observe the universe, yes. But again, if those aliens able to do intergalactic travel. Earth like planet could be not rare. 

The problem is that we don't know, we can only assume.

Though i have my suspicion on area 51, call me crazy but yeah.

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

25 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

Based on our current capabilities to observe the universe, yes. But again, if those aliens able to do intergalactic travel. Earth like planet could be not rare. 

My suspicions on Area 51 is that it’s a secret aircraft testing facility and they’re obliged to lie when some civilian sees them testing something which mostly leaves the air force laughing their butts off at the “believers” until some deluded moron “Naruto runs” into machine gun fire.   Then everyone is sad.

6 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

UFOs are what they are, Unidentified, doesn't really mean anything though, strangely odd all these are found only near US, i'm like most certain its military prototypes.

It is with near certainly the UFOs are prototypes of experimental aircraft only.  

9 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

Who said Life Requires an Earth like Planet? We only have One Single Data Point. So far, Earth is the only Planet We know of where Life exist.

Of course wither or not Aliens are visiting/studying our World is a different entirely.

7 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

There are certain conditions where life can’t exist. For example “shit out diamonds” would quite literally be impossible. Same as if the temp was say 30K 

Well lets agree to disagree, when you said "life", what kind of life are you referring to?
Currently, we are well aware of the conditions so life could exist based on our current knowledge, but that is for carbon based lifeforms. But out there? None seems to be sure. There could be being who live on a radioactive planet, hell there could be silicon based lifeform

5 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

It is with near certainly the UFOs are prototypes of experimental aircraft only.  

Who said Life Requires an Earth like Planet? We only have One Single Data Point. So far, Earth is the only Planet We know of where Life exist.

Of course wither or not Aliens are visiting/studying our World is a different entirely.

Well you didn't really specify what kind of "life" you were referring to so, but to say Planets capable of supporting Complex Life are "rare" is kind of a BOLD statement knowing our current knowledge about the universe.

10 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Re: what UFOs are:

I would include glitches in detection equipment and user error and whatnot but likelyhood is really high.

10 minutes ago, Ya_Mi said:

Well you didn't really specify what kind of "life" you were referring to so, but to say Planets capable of supporting Complex Life are "rare" is kind of a BOLD statement knowing our current knowledge about the universe.

That was a Question and not a Statement. Did you not see the "?".

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

That was a Question and not a Statement. Did you not see the "?".
Because Planets capable of supporting Complex Life are rare to whatever degree in the Cosmos?

I dont know dude, doesnt looks like a question to me, more like when you eat together with your buddies knowing they like the food after they ate it and you be like "It's good right?".

If you add "maybe" then it would sounds more like a question.

But i could be wrong, if so, i am sorry. Either way, imma sleep lmao its midnight here.