Which is Scarier? Aliens or No Aliens

UnfinishedBizz
1 hour ago, Ya_Mi said:

If those aliens able to do intergalactic space travel and somehow find us, why would they be interested in us?

We human are a horrible being, we kill each other for resources, create differences through religion/caste/etc and kill each other in the name of those things instead of trying to unite together and increase the survival chance of our species or try to become type II or even type III civilization.

If alien able to find us, that means they are way more advance than us. People like stephen hawking with his knowledge in science could be just an average elementary student to them, hell...we could be just ants.

I'd prefer we find them first and not the other way around and i am sure there are aliens out there, but we just don't know what kind of being they are and i don't see the reason on why i should feel creepy even if we are alone in the universe. I am more concerned about what happened before the big bang or what caused the big bang because it'll likely answer everything.

Because Planets capable of supporting Complex Life are rare to whatever degree in the Cosmos? They need our World and/or want to preserve our Oasis from us Humans destroying Earth. 

Hilarie Burton

47 minutes ago, Loote said:

I secretly hope aliens come and fix the shit that's going on purely because they're nice.

That reminds me of an Argument I had with a person when I start going to JR College back in the early 90's. He ask me why would an Alien Species go through the trouble of traveling all the way to Earth just to wipe out or conquer Humans? 

My snarky answer: They need our good looking young women for... Drum Roll... Breeding Proposes.

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So the basic concept is that the AI "AC" collects all of the cold stellar gas that is the remains of the universe (presumably they'd also collect dead stars, neutron stars, asteroids, dead worlds, etc). This matter is then collected into a single giant ball - a ball presumably so large that it reacts with physics in a manner we're not expecting (far larger than any star - even any black hole could be) - and this somehow kickstarts the big bang.

Or AC itself is somehow manipulating the matter with energy of some kind or a machine of some kind.

The big question is how is AC powering itself? If the heat death of the universe has happened, that likely means there's not a lot of fuel to be used, as most elements would have been burned up and fused into heavier elements in stars over the eons.

That’s been a sci-fi trope for many years.  The computer is god.  I first read it in an Early 60’s novel.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s been a sci-fi trope for many years.  The computer is god.  I first read it in an Early 60’s novel.

"I no mouth and must scream"... Or something like that... The concept of Roko's Basilisk from LessWrong is the same Idea but rather silly ass if you ask me. Good example of not all Ideas should be taken seriously.

Of course it is not explained why an Advanced god-like Self Aware AI waste Resources on tormenting Future Incomplete Copies of people who failed to help in it's Development... Such a thing would be entirely dependent on Humans to maintain the Hardware the AI will be housed in.

Simply flip the power off from the Mains would defeat such a thing.

21 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Nah, I'm more interested in tangible evidence than conspiracy theories. Heck, if you want a more serious look at what alien first contact would be like, Arrival is a better pick than either of those!

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

Nah, I'm more interested in tangible evidence than conspiracy theories. Heck, if you want a more serious look at what alien first contact would be like, Arrival is a better pick than either of those!

Those are "non-fictional documentaries" - assuming you believe what they're saying.

The Bob Lazaar story is a bit more credible than others, and seems to match the technical characteristics of the UFO video footage we've seen from various national Navies.

But even if it's true, there's still very little evidence for it.

If the US Government has data on legit intelligent alien activity, they're keeping it under wraps from most of the government (particularly elected officials like Congress and the President).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

Also the movie Contact (1997). Imo it’s the most probable outcome if we ever contacted an extraterrestrial form of life. And it’s impact on society. I also believe higher intelligence beings would realize life is ultimately scarce and precious and would help one another out instead of what Hollywood mostly shows.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

18 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Also the movie Contact (1997). Imo it’s the most probable outcome if we ever contacted an extraterrestrial form of life. And it’s impact on society. I also believe higher intelligence beings would realize life is ultimately scarce and precious and would help one another out instead of what Hollywood mostly shows.

A first Contact like in Contact, which provides a solution beyond our known physic laws, is the only way this could possible.

With Lightspeed alone, we will never reach anything outside the Sol System.

The Center of our own Galaxy is 150k Lightyears away. The next Galaxy, Andromeda, which is basicly in our backyard is 3 million Lightyears away.

Not even with with a Lightspeed fast Generationship we would reach anything.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I'm a Christian so I don't believe in Aliens because the Bible says God is coming here.

In parts in there where it talks about the stars of heaven fell unto the earth and the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together. Words something like that.

I think about how they have only recently in modern history discovered that the universe is flying away from itself and does that have something to do with these things.

It flips me out to think about that maybe before that end time comes.

That will at some point our scientific precision get to a even greater level as to maybe prove out even more so the things said in that book?

It's just my way of thinking about science.

That it is not in the end an opposition to faith but really a study of the universe that God created.

I love science fiction though so thinking about the fantasy of aliens for fun is fun for me.  😄

I enjoy the movies that sometimes use different ideas of communication as the means of contact or travel too (Contact, Virus, The Astronauts Wife, Species). 

So on the fantasy entertainment side of aliens I think it would probably be a good thing that the distances are so great in the universe. Just talking to aliens and exchanging information over years of time could be another good creepy science fiction movie. 

Would they be honest? Would we be honest? Just that alone would be an interesting movie.  🤖

Aliens is way scarier. 😛

😁

27 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I'm a Christian so I don't believe in Aliens because the Bible says God is coming here.

In parts in there where it talks about the stars falling from the ski and the heavens being rolled up like a scroll. Words something like that.

I think about how they have only recently in modern history discovered that the universe is flying away from itself and does that have something to do with these things.

It flips me out to think about that maybe before that end time comes.

That will at some point our scientific precision get to a even greater level as to maybe prove out even more so the things said in that book?

It's just my way of thinking about science.

That it is not in the end an opposition to faith but really a study of the universe that God created.

I love science fiction though so thinking about the fantasy of aliens for fun is fun for me.  😄

I enjoy the movies that sometimes use different ideas of communication as the means of contact or travel too (Contact, Virus, The Astronauts Wife, Species). 

So on the fantasy entertainment side of aliens I think it would probably be a good thing that the distances are so great in the universe. Just talking to aliens and exchanging information over years of time could be another good creepy science fiction movie. 

Would they be honest? Would we be honest? Just that alone would be an interesting movie.  🤖

Aliens is way scarier. 😛

😁

Without getting into a debate... science isn't the Bible's friend now, let alone in the future.

15 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Without getting into a debate... science isn't the Bible's friend now, let alone in the future.

Says you buddy. 😄

Wasn't fishing for a debate.

Don't poop on my detente. 😄

1 hour ago, Intergalacticbits said:

You know the Bible was written by Humans, yes?

And God is already here. Dont you see what a peaceful Place Earth is?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

47 minutes ago, Praesi said:

You know the Bible was written by Humans, yes?

And God is already here. Dont you see what a peaceful Place Earth is?

Given that Every Holy Book was written down before anything remotely close to the Scientific Method was developed,  I can't see how those who strongly believe in those "Holy Books" can reasonably expect other people to accept them as possibly true.

Science has advanced considerably after all "Holy Books" were abandoned as describing Nature.

8 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Given that Every Holy Book was written down before anything remotely close to the Scientific Method was developed,  I can't see how those who strongly believe in those "Holy Books" can reasonably expect other people to accept them as possibly true.

Science has advanced considerably after all "Holy Books" were abandoned as describing Nature.

For me personaly its beyond how any Human can still believe in those fairytale Books.

I know People who believe in some kind of "God" but dont take any of this Religion Nonsense serious. The church came up with this stuff to control People.

But hey, thats another Topic ;) To each their own.

satan.jpg

I mean, if everything we know about the universe is true (which I guess it is) then it would be really really creepy if we were alone. Like, billions and billions of planets and stars and we are the ones who made it? And then we fuck our planet, people and animals up like that? Naaaaah. 

Would be interesting though if the aliens are similar to us or if they are actually completely different. Currently we couldn't think of an intelligent life Form to live on other planets like earth, so they are likely similar. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

7 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I mean, if everything we know about the universe is true (which I guess it is) then it would be really really creepy if we were alone. Like, billions and billions of planets and stars and we are the ones who made it? And then we fuck our planet, people and animals up like that? Naaaaah. 

Would be interesting though if the aliens are similar to us or if they are actually completely different. Currently we couldn't think of an intelligent life Form to live on other planets like earth, so they are likely similar. 

Well given that primates much less Humans didn't had to evolve here on Earth but an entirely different species could have arose and be a Technological lifeform instead of Homo Sapiens. All is needed are Large Brains, Tool making and using hands, and I forgotten what else...

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Formal Science was invented by the Catholic Church.  Look up the history of the Jesuit priests.  Basically all jesuits have phDs btw.   Science isn’t anti religion, it’s an extension OF it.   The Bible says what god did.  Science picks at pieces of how he did it.  The two are only in conflict at all when some religious group or other finds one of its doctrines in conflict with science.  The Catholic Church for 600 years has gone “oh, ok.  I guess that means we need to see what’s wrong with the doctrine.”  Its the hill living Protestant splinter groups that scream out “NO! You’re wrong!” And not even very many of them.  They scream loud though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Formal Science was invented by the Catholic Church.  Look up the history of the Jesuit priests.  Basically all jesuits have phDs btw.   Science isn’t anti religion, it’s an extension OF it.   The Bible says what god did.  Science picks at pieces of how he did it.  The two are only in conflict at all when some religious group or other finds one of its doctrines in conflict with science.  The Catholic Church for 600 years has gone “oh, ok.  I guess that means we need to see what’s wrong with the doctrine.”  Its the hill living Protestant splinter groups that scream out “NO! You’re wrong!” And not even very many of them.  They scream loud though.

Oh really??? And what do the Jesuits have their PhD in which subject? The Catholic Church only allowed what Scientific Research that didn't conflict with what they required everyone to believe at the time.  

Y'all worshipping false idols. The FSM knows no mercy.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

24 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Oh really??? And what do the Jesuits have their PhD in which subject? The Catholic Church only allowed what Scientific Research that didn't conflict with what they required everyone to believe at the time.  

Varies a lot.Astronimic  Physics is common.  There are more than a few MDs.  There’s been a couple of Nobel prizes won by jesuits.  One iirc was for Big Bang theory.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Varies a lot.Astronimic  Physics is common.  There are more than a few MDs.  There’s been a couple of Nobel prizes won by jesuits.  One iirc was for Big Bang theory.

Anyone can do Science... The only requirement is that people have to suspend their Beliefs when conducting Research.

4 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Billions of Galaxies with Billions of Starsystems in each. I dont think there is even a Number for that.

I had a time, many Years ago, in which i tried to get this whole Universe stuff in my Brain. How big it is, whats behind its "Borders" ect. That was scary. 

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Anyone can do Science... The only requirement is that people have to suspend their Beliefs when conducting Research.

How many pretended to go with the Jesuit show to avoid being lynched or discredited? 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

15 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

How many pretended to go with the Jesuit show to avoid being lynched or discredited? 

Are you talking about the Spanish Inquisition?  That thing that was part of the Hundred Years’ War and that happened in the 15th century?  Where the Jesuits were tasked by the then sitting Pope?

It would be hundreds of times more appropriate  to judge Japan by the actions of parts of its military in world war2. 
An interesting point to note though is why the jesuits might have been chosen to be tasked with such a thing? 

19 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

More like to escape getting burnt at the Stake... The Burning Times as the Wicca and Neopagans call it.