Which is Scarier? Aliens or No Aliens

UnfinishedBizz

There have been discussions in the past on whether or not it's troubling to think that there may be no aliens vs aliens in the universe. Odds are there should be aliens in the universe (Drake Equation) but I think it would be creepy if we really are the only ones out here. I can't be the only one right? It would be really cool to see their technology and how it works.

R2 Need 2 Upgrade

• ·       Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz - CPU
  • ·       GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H - MOBO
  • ·       MSI Radeon RX 570 8GT OC 8GB – GPU
  • ·       ADATA 120GB SSD + 1TB Seagate HDD 7200 RPM
  • ·       OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 2666 MHz - RAM
  • ·       Apevia ATX-SP600 Spirit 600W - PSU
  • ·       DeepCool MATREXX 55 V3 - Case

NASA has already admitted that UFO's are real soooo....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

imo none of them matters! if are aliens out there they can't even notice us or their tech might not be as good as us if they doesnt exist well what's the problem with that

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

NASA has already admitted that UFO's are real soooo....

Right, but UFOS =/= Aliens. They will admit there are objects that are unidentified they have seen flying through. A UFO can be many things.

R2 Need 2 Upgrade

3 minutes ago, mahyar said:

imo none of them matters! if are aliens out there they can't even notice us or their tech might not be as good as us if they doesnt exist well what's the problem with that

True, they could be behind us technologically. But to think there is no one else besides us in 100 billion galaxies, each galaxy having 100's of millions of stars and planets would be creepy. I think it would limit where humanity goes in the future.

R2 Need 2 Upgrade

well, look at it this way.

if there are aliens, and we get discovered first, then they have a technological advantage, and if hostile probably could murder us without many problems.

if there are aliens, and we discover them first, then they probably don't have much high end tech, and we will do research on them, some people will try to *ex them (because humans are weird), and either we end up exterminating them, or depending on how selfaware they are, we're gonna try to "adopt" them into society and there will be race wars between humans and aliens.

i honestly doubt things would turn out good in the long run

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

well, look at it this way.

if there are aliens, and we get discovered first, then they have a technological advantage, and if hostile probably could murder us without many problems.

if there are aliens, and we discover them first, then they probably don't have much high end tech, and we will do research on them, some people will try to *ex them (because humans are weird), and either we end up exterminating them, or depending on how selfaware they are, we're gonna try to "adopt" them into society and there will be race wars between humans and aliens.

i honestly doubt things would turn out good in the long run

There are numerous amount of outcomes that could happen. You have listed a couple but they are not the only things that could happen. They could be at the same technological level and have the same barriers on space travel. They could have evolved in a similar fashion and be a lot like us. Once humans master space travel that means we can explore the endless empty universe? That doesn't sound that great either.

R2 Need 2 Upgrade

Unless we search every last corner of the universe and come up empty, we would never know for sure that there are no aliens.  

Thing is, even our own planet goes through extinction cycles, and we're currently in one right now. So an alien civilization could visit earth in a million years and earth has life on it that is completely alien to life that exists right now. 

It's that pesky dimension of Time that really makes it hard for two alien civilizations to even have the chance of making contact. 

Then theres the possibility that we colonize other planets and solar systems, and over time evolve on other planets to become "aliens." If we are alone in the universe, then that means the milky way will eventually be dominated by humanoids from earth. Given how we've abused this planet, that doesn't bode well for the milky way. If there is other life out there in the milky way and they wish to preserve life and nature in the galaxy, humans would be seen as a threat to that stability because we're consumers of our environment. 

I think what's scary is how we would be perceived to an alien civilization. We're bullies on this planet, probably wouldn't change out in space.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If the fermi paradox and great filter theories are right, then I hope there are no aliens because if there are a bunch out there like us, we're trapped here forever.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, UnfinishedBizz said:

That doesn't sound that great either.

i mean, there could always be good outcomes.

however looking back through human history, and looking at how things work today, we seem to have a great deal of hatred towards things that aren't ourselves.

and i wouldn't doubt it for a single second that good things would come with the discovery, but with all good things we would manage to either have people disagree that it's good, or find a new reason to hate it and spread the hate with their influence, i mean we have people that dislike each other because of their skin colour, which is stupid in my opinion (let's not go further with that statement to stay within forum rules).

so just imagine if we add an entire new species.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

i mean, there could always be good outcomes.

however looking back through human history, and looking at how things work today, we seem to have a great deal of hatred towards things that aren't ourselves.

and i wouldn't doubt it for a single second that good things would come with the discovery, but with all good things we would manage to either have people disagree that it's good, or find a new reason to hate it and spread the hate with their influence, i mean we have people that dislike each other because of their skin colour, which is stupid in my opinion (let's not go further with that statement to stay within forum rules).

We can look back at human history and see dislike of the unknown from the uninformed. We are moving forward in human history where we are advancing everyday and people are becoming more informed and less afraid of the unknown. I don't imagine we will have first contact tomorrow, but in a few hundred years a lot can change for humanity. Just look at the difference from 1910 to 2010. A big jump for humanity.

R2 Need 2 Upgrade

I'm more concerned with people who NEED us to not be alone so badly to avoid having an existential crisis.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

1 minute ago, Fatih19 said:

I'm more concerned with people who NEED us to not be alone so badly to avoid having an existential crisis.

An Existential crisis is inevitable.

R2 Need 2 Upgrade

3 minutes ago, UnfinishedBizz said:

Just look at the difference from 1910 to 2010. A big jump for humanity.

in the tech world, yes.

but humans still work sort of the same way which seems to the root cause

48 minutes ago, UnfinishedBizz said:

There have been discussions in the past on whether or not it's troubling to think that there may be no aliens vs aliens in the universe. Odds are there should be aliens in the universe (Drake Equation) but I think it would be creepy if we really are the only ones out here. I can't be the only one right? It would be really cool to see their technology and how it works.

One of those things we'll likely never know. The closest star is 4.3 light years away so they're never getting here and we're never getting there and that's if they're the closest possible to us. It is likely there's some form of life out there though. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

in the tech world, yes.

but humans still work sort of the same way which seems to the root cause

Tech, medicine, ideas, values, relationships. It's more than just tech, humanity has advanced considerably.

R2 Need 2 Upgrade

3 minutes ago, UnfinishedBizz said:

An Existential crisis is inevitable.

Nah, I'm perfectly fine with us being alone in the universe.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

19 minutes ago, flashiling said:

or find a new reason to hate it and spread the hate with their influence, i mean we have people that dislike each other because of their skin colour, which is stupid in my opinion (let's not go further with that statement to stay within forum rules).

The difference here is that they actually have different biology, they evolved differently. They won't be the same as us, maybe they even have different philosophy, logic, and reasoning. Differences between races aren't real, differences between species, especially those who evolved under different solar system and planet, is real.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

2 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

Differences between races aren't real

visually asians look different to white people and black people.

and some morons people dislike asians becaus of that

if that's enough to cause hatred between humans of the same species, imagine how much hatred there could be towards a different one.

i think we should try to find a close to this discussion soon ;)

13 minutes ago, isladlewis said:

You mean Asians are look like an alien.

no.

i mentioned that asians look different to scandinavians and africans and americans.

sorry if it was misunderstood.

To me the scariest thing is the eventual heat death of the universe.  I actually lay awake some nights thinking about it and it makes me terribly sad.

No aliens is much scarier. Loneliness is one of the scariest things there is. Imagine waking up one day and the entire world is empty of humans except you.

The only thing that makes the world not static is living beings.

Dude Aliens are real...

image.png.764e0596c028344412f8eefef77084a0.png

6 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

To me the scariest thing is the eventual heat death of the universe.  I actually lay awake some nights thinking about it and it makes me terribly sad.

Why? You'll be dead a long long time before that happens.

Main Rig :

Laptop :