Which is Scarier? Aliens or No Aliens

UnfinishedBizz

No aliens is definitely scarier.

Give the fact that universe is made of millions if not billions of galaxies, and then those galaxies have millions of solar systems in them, you're telling me out of all (quadrillion?) possibilities only one solar system has ever been in the correct alignment to be able to generate and maintain H20 in it's liquid state? That's kinda scary. 

In my mind, life 100% exists outside our solar system. A great possibility it's also intelligent. However very low that it's managed to travel to us. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Give the fact that universe is made of millions if not billions of galaxies, and then those galaxies have millions of solar systems in them, you're telling me out of all (quadrillion?) possibilities only one solar system has ever been in the correct alignment to be able to generate and maintain H20 in it's liquid state? That's kinda scary. 

In my mind, life 100% exists outside our solar system. A great possibility it's also intelligent. However very low that it's managed to travel to us. 

I personally would say that aliens existing but not being able to travel to earth is the least scary of all options.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Aliens aren't visiting here, you can't travel faster than light I've explained this multiple times already. You could use wormholes but they're theoretical and aren't increasing your speed just shortening the distance.

That is still in effect, going at FTL. Hard Science Fiction has describe Special Devices that are capable of Folding Space-Time around a Ship and allow the Craft to travel much farther.

Just now, whm1974 said:

That is still in effect, going at FTL. Hard Science Fiction has describe Special Devices that are capable of Folding Space-Time around a Ship and allow the Craft to travel much farther.

Sure. Fiction.  Fiction also talks about ghosts and dragons and things. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sure. Fiction.  Fiction also talks about ghosts and dragons and things. 

I'm talking about Hard Science Fiction which is very different from Outright Fantasy. 

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm talking about Hard Science Fiction which is very different from Outright Fantasy. 

No. It really isn’t for purposes of faster than light travel.  “Hard” sci-fi takes more limited and less visible liberties with physics, but it still takes them.

19 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

No it's not. Someone on a bike can finish a 400m lap in less time than it takes light to get from the sun to Pluto, does that mean the bike is FTL?

Sci-Fi is Sci-Fi. Hard or not it still ignores physics that render things impossible. Again to warp space time in a significant manner you need a cosmic event on the scale of supernovae. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

No. It really isn’t for purposes of faster than light travel.  “Hard” sci-fi takes more limited and less visible liberties with physics, but it still takes them.

Stuff like the LASER and Personal Computers have been describe in Hard Science Fiction long before they were even possible. Along with both Cell and Satellite Phones.  

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The visible Universe has ~200 Billion Galaxies. I doubt the Human Mind can realy understand how big the Universe is.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

-Cleaned-

Would like to remind you all that religion and politics are not a topic to be discussed on the forum

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

No aliens, but that would be practically impossible.

Planets like Earth have to exist, the laws of physics should work the same everywhere in the universe, and that means that the same chemistry that lead to the development of life and its inevitable evolution into all the living things we have on this planet, must be possible somewhere else.

Whether they are humanoid or not, that depends on the conditions of the planet their life evolved on.

They may have evolved on a planet with a really dim star, so whatever "eyes" they have are nothing like ours.

Or if they evolved somehow underground, they may have no need for "eyes", or they could "see" only in X-rays.

Like Carl Sagan said:

"The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space."

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

12 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

TECHNOLOGY CANNOT BREAK THE LAWS OF FUCKING PHYSICS. No matter how advanced we make tech we can't travel anywhere close to lightspeed because what you're trying to move has a significant mass and the energy required to move something even at the speed of the parker probe without gravity assist would take more energy than we could generate even with something like fusion which is the most energy dense source in the universe. Like no matter how good nutrition and training gets or even making a genetically perfect human no one will ever run 100m in 2 seconds. There are some things that simply cannot be done. 

Not sure why you keep saying that, when I've clearly pointed out that it doesn't.

Oh, wait I know. It doesn't fit your narrative. Right.

12 hours ago, Praesi said:

So Sience Fiction is your Answer? Ok.

I guess you don't know what science fiction is. But ok.

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Provided we're not just a computer simulation :ph34r:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

One thought to throw at the faster-than-light proponents:  time travel and faster than light travel are the same thing.

46 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

One thought to throw at the faster-than-light proponents:  time travel and faster than light travel are the same thing.

Kind of - it depends on your point of reference.

But that's not inherently a problem.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

What's more scarier, finding out that God is real or not?

If we can sit here and discuss the probable existence of aliens in our universe, but can't have a logical talk about the probable existence of God himself... Not sure what to say. Quick to believe aliens exist, but quick to deny Jesus exist and the creation of.

Light speed, time, gravity... We are governed by these laws. If we want to talk about time travel and moving faster than light speed then we first must LIVE OUTSIDE of those laws/boundaries. To live outside of those boundaries and laws we first must leave our physical body behind (the flesh) and enter the spiritual realm (the soul.) Within the spiritual realm, you are not bound by the physical limitations. Thus, time travel, traveling at light speed can happen. Sadly though, once you enter the spiritual realm by dying physically in the flesh; You'll be judged and your eternal resting place will then be decided according to your actions while alive in the flesh. Your works will then be rewarded back to you, rather it be eternal life or eternal damnation. You reap what you sow.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Kind of - it depends on your point of reference.

But that's not inherently a problem.

They are the same thing. To travel faster than light you’d have to arrive before you set off. As time is relative to speed and practically stands still at light speed. So you’d be younger than when you set off which is the issue with tachyons and negative time having to exist if they also existed.

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Not sure why you keep saying that, when I've clearly pointed out that it doesn't.

You haven’t pointed out anything. You clearly have no grasp of physics at all. I do not have a narrative, I’m going off science and how things work in the real world not on how they work in Star-Trek. 

12 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

You haven’t pointed out anything. You clearly have no grasp of physics at all. I do not have a narrative, I’m going off science and how things work in the real world not on how they work in Star-Trek. 

I've said. Several times. Alcubierre drive. You're inability to figure that out is your own problem.

Funnily enough many things we have today are from Star Trek.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 hours ago, c00face said:

What's more scarier, finding out that God is real or not?

If we can sit here and discuss the probable existence of aliens in our universe, but can't have a logical talk about the probable existence of God himself... Not sure what to say. Quick to believe aliens exist, but quick to deny Jesus exist and the creation of.

Light speed, time, gravity... We are governed by these laws. If we want to talk about time travel and moving faster than light speed then we first must LIVE OUTSIDE of those laws/boundaries. To live outside of those boundaries and laws we first must leave our physical body behind (the flesh) and enter the spiritual realm (the soul.) Within the spiritual realm, you are not bound by the physical limitations. Thus, time travel, traveling at light speed can happen. Sadly though, once you enter the spiritual realm by dying physically in the flesh; You'll be judged and your eternal resting place will then be decided according to your actions while alive in the flesh. Your works will then be rewarded back to you, rather it be eternal life or eternal damnation. You reap what you sow.

The existence of any god is not "probable", all claims about a god violate the laws of physics of this universe.

Physics, chemistry and biology do not.

So it's as simple as applying Occam's razor and go with the explanation that makes the least assumptions.

4 minutes ago, GoldSrc said:

The existence of any god is not "probable", all claims about a god violate the laws of physics of this universe.

Physics, chemistry and biology do not.

So it's as simple as applying Occam's razor and go with the explanation that makes the least assumptions.

I would agree that various sectarian assumptions about the nature of god tend to violate such things.  That does not invalidate the existence, but merely the various sectarian assumptions. 

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I would agree that various sectarian assumptions about the nature of god tend to violate such things.  That does not invalidate the existence, but merely the various sectarian assumptions. 

True, but such a god that does not violate the laws of physics, should be able to be measured or detected.

We can't see magnetic fields for example, other frequencies of light invisible to our eyes, or ionizing radiation, but we can detect their existence and measure them.

Such god would fall into the category of an advanced being, ruled and limited by the same laws that we are, and basically incapable of being the reason the universe exists and whose death will come with the heat death of the universe.

1 minute ago, GoldSrc said:

True, but such a god that does not violate the laws of physics, should be able to be measured or detected.

We can't see magnetic fields for example, other frequencies of light invisible to our eyes, or ionizing radiation, but we can detect their existence and measure them.

Such god would fall into the category of an advanced being, ruled and limited by the same laws that we are, and basically incapable of being the reason the universe exists and whose death will come with the heat death of the universe.

Those are all sectarian assumptions.

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

I've said. Several times. Alcubierre drive. You're inability to figure that out is your own problem.

Funnily enough many things we have today are from Star Trek.

As I and other people have said it’s BS, the person who thought it up has said so. 

Oh wow all the SciFi stuff you’ve brought up that doesn’t actually work that way in real life is from Star Trek, who’d have thought. 

Go read something that is valid scientific literature and come back.