Walmart is teaming up with Microsoft ton TikTok bid

AndreiArgeanu

Summary

Walmart is teaming up with Microsoft to buy TikTok's operations in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zeeland

Walmart joins Microsoft in bid for TikTok's US operations - BBC News

Quotes

Walmart said Thursday that it’s teaming up with Microsoft in a bid for TikTok.

The retail giant confirmed to CNBC that it’s interested in buying the popular short-form video application.

Walmart is pursuing the acquisition at a time when it’s trying to better compete with Amazon.

In a statement, the big-box retailer said TikTok’s integration of e-commerce and advertising “is a clear benefit to creators and users in those markets.” It did not say how it would use TikTok or whether it would be part of Walmart+.

My thoughts

Well, that's interesting, Microsoft and Walmart sharing ownership with TikTok and Walmarts intention to potentially integrate their own services in the app could mean that the app is going to change a lot and potentially scare away the large user base, or maybe not. Also, I find it funny to an extent that Walmart is trying to compete with Amazon. But at this point it's a bit ridiculous how so many companies are jumping in on the idea of buying the operations, and how some like Microsoft and Walmart are teaming up. God knows what this could mean for the future of the app. 

Sources

CNBC

top 10 anime crossovers

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Some things I saw earlier that go with this:

1. TikTok CEO, Kevin Mayer, quit today
  2. Walmart originally had their own bid but they were denied because the government wanted a tech company to be the main buyer. They said this was so the company had more experience with keeping data secure.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

3 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

Some things I saw earlier that go with this:

1. TikTok CEO, Kevin Mayer, quit today
  2. Walmart originally had their own bid but they were denied because the government wanted a tech company to be the main buyer. They said this was so the company had more experience with keeping data secure.

Walmart should've said, "hey, look we made shitty gaming pcs and pretty ok laptops, we're a tech company!"

Edit: are people laughing at the post, or my inability to spell we're?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Walmart originally had their own bid but they were denied because the government wanted a tech company to be the main buyer. They said this was so the company had more experience with keeping data secure.

i mean i guess that kinda makes sense? although its well documented that tiktok hasnt been great about keeping their users' data in safe hands as it is lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

To be fair, I would wager that Walmart could be better set up for local delivery than Amazon, they have more physical locations and thus could have a higher throughput, if reorganized correctly.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Walmart's making a data grab because they want to compete with Amazon.

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Tech news these days feels like us mere mortals watching the all-mighty gods (microsoft, tiktok, walmart and epic, apple, google) fighting against each other.

🤢🤮. Come on guys, can’t we crowd fund the purchase of TikTok to keep it out of the hands of these oligopolies?!

3 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

🤢🤮. Come on guys, can’t we crowd fund the purchase of TikTok to keep it out of the hands of these oligopolies?!

No one really cares enough about TikTok to crowdfund the purchase of TikTok, not to mention who would be the owner, and who would be responsible of updating the app, etc.

46 minutes ago, activehuman said:

Tech news these days feels like us mere mortals watching the all-mighty gods (microsoft, tiktok, walmart and epic, apple, google) fighting against each other.

uncannily true

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

I'm honestly more surprised that Microsoft teamed up with Walmart, they certainly don't need their money or technical help for this acquisition, so I'm wondering if some back room palm greasing/strongarm negotiations went on, after all Microsoft is about to launch a console, and where would you want that stocked?

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

No one really cares enough about TikTok to crowdfund the purchase of TikTok, not to mention who would be the owner, and who would be responsible of updating the app, etc.

😐 we would be the shareholders. The employees will do their thing. We’ll IPO and rake in the 💰 💰 💰. Do you realize why so many companies are trying to buy tiktok?!

If you haven’t tried it, tiktok is much more entertaining than instagram or Facebook could ever be. Tiktok is mostly regular people making fun videos.

11 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

😐 we would be the shareholders. The employees will do their thing. We’ll IPO and rake in the 💰 💰 💰. Do you realize why so many companies are trying to buy tiktok?!

If you haven’t tried it, tiktok is much more entertaining than instagram or Facebook could ever be. Tiktok is mostly regular people making fun videos.

Nah, ain't no one going to crowdfund enough money to bid more than Microsoft and Walmart does. The current bids are around 40-50 billion at least, ain't no one going to crowdfund 50 billion dollars just like that.

I don't care who buys it as long as they pull the plug on this ridiculous clock.

5 hours ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Walmart should've said, "hey, look we made shitty gaming pcs and pretty ok laptops, we're a tech company!"

Edit: are people laughing at the post, or my inability to spell we're?

Walmart are actually a very large tech company, they have something like 10,000 employees in their Technology department(s) and are very active in silicon valley, at conferences and in the open source community.

4 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Nah, ain't no one going to crowdfund enough money to bid more than Microsoft and Walmart does. The current bids are around 40-50 billion at least, ain't no one going to crowdfund 50 billion dollars just like that.

You may have taken the suggestion too seriously. I said it for a laugh.

i recently started using TikTok and i hope that if this does happen Walmart isn't just gonna screw over the app for people who aren't in the USA like me.

She/Her

1 minute ago, Shorty88jr said:

Ok someone is messing with me no way this is an actual partnership?? 

One word: MONAYYYYYYYY

depositphotos_12103681-stock-photo-falling-dollar-bills.jpg

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

11 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Summary

Walmart is teaming up with Microsoft to buy TikTok's operations in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zeeland

Quotes

My thoughts

Well, that's interesting, Microsoft and Walmart sharing ownership with TikTok and Walmarts intention to potentially integrate their own services in the app could mean that the app is going to change a lot and potentially scare away the large user base, or maybe not. Also, I find it funny to an extent that Walmart is trying to compete with Amazon. But at this point it's a bit ridiculous how so many companies are jumping in on the idea of buying the operations, and how some like Microsoft and Walmart are teaming up. God knows what this could mean for the future of the app. 

Sources

CNBC

This seems like a very unlikely pairing. If everyone recalls Fox buying MySpace, they will quickly realize that is what TikTok's demise will be like. The users of the service will readily abandon it the second the experience changes. We also saw this with Verizon buying Yahoo buying Tumblr.

A smart phone maker should buy it and make it an exclusive for their phone only.

They could just name the phone "The Tok" . 😄

11 hours ago, Athan Immortal said:

I'm honestly more surprised that Microsoft teamed up with Walmart, they certainly don't need their money or technical help for this acquisition, so I'm wondering if some back room palm greasing/strongarm negotiations went on, after all Microsoft is about to launch a console, and where would you want that stocked?

Microsoft is also closing all of its retail stores, so perhaps we'll also see Microsoft kiosks popping up in their stores as well?