[Rumour] [AdoredTV] Intel Xe graphics project effectively dead?

Never-edge
15 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Well, from what I know, Lenovo at least are not interested in using Xe in laptops at all.something about C states being too power hungry. Sooo, that's where I'm basing my assumption off of

Lenovo and other OEMs have Tiger Lake development units preparing for new model revisions. Xe in laptop mobile is replacing Iris Pro, for the most part it's just a branding change and Iris Pro was going to get improved likely by the same amount and architecturally Xe is just a revision of Iris Pro here anyway.

Despite what people may think Xe isn't some completely new architecture and is just building on top of what Intel as already been doing, not the iGPU ones anyway.

I wouldn't put any credence to C state rumors, that's normal for engineering chips and probably just isn't fully implemented in the microcode if it actually was a thing at some point. Even with zero C states and the chip running a full power all the time it's not going to change the performance of the GPU, C states are to lower power not increase it. C states are a CPU thing anyway, GPUs don't use that but I guess people don't really have a generic term for it so C states fits the need to talk about it.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Lenovo and other OEMs have Tiger Lake development units preparing for new model revisions. Xe in laptop mobile is replacing Iris Pro, for the most part it's just a branding change and Iris Pro was going to get improved likely by the same amount and architecturally Xe is just a revision of Iris Pro here anyway.

Despite what people may think Xe isn't some completely new architecture and is just building on top of what Intel as already been doing, not the iGPU ones anyway.

I wouldn't put any credence to C state rumors, that's normal for engineering chips and probably just isn't fully implemented in the microcode if it actually was a thing at some point. Even with zero C states and the chip running a full power all the time it's not going to change the performance of the GPU, C states are to lower power not increase it. C states are a CPU thing anyway, GPUs don't use that but I guess people don't really have a generic term for it so C states fits the need to talk about it.

I cannot comment on what I don't know but from what I have read online and what I've been told by contacts - Xe isn't impressive in its current iteration and that's why the rumours of its death are spreading. Some are calling it Larrabee 2

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Intel: *promotes CFO to CEO*

I haven't verified it, and hope I'm not getting people mixed up, but I think he does have some engineering background and isn't a pure bean counter.

34 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

We don't have a single laptop XE GPU out.

It is part of the impending Tiger Lake launch. We probably don't have long to wait and see what that brings.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I cannot comment on what I don't know but from what I have read online and what I've been told by contacts - Xe isn't impressive in its current iteration and that's why the rumours of its death are spreading. Some are calling it Larrabee 2

What would replace Xe if they get rid of it? It is the incoming iGPU, soon on mobile, near future on desktop. Unless it is so bad they revert back to older iGPUs, it will be around until there is something else to replace it.

Killing dGPU remains a maybe, but I can't see the iGPU going anywhere.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Well 10nm has problems, and it seems like 7nm has issues too.

Getting into the GPU market is probably something they want to do even more now instead of giving up.

The margins on high-end stuff is massive (2080ti, titan and quadro) and if they somehow manage to compete even a bit, it would help.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

37 minutes ago, porina said:

I haven't verified it, and hope I'm not getting people mixed up, but I think he does have some engineering background and isn't a pure bean counter.

It is part of the impending Tiger Lake launch. We probably don't have long to wait and see what that brings.

What would replace Xe if they get rid of it? It is the incoming iGPU, soon on mobile, near future on desktop. Unless it is so bad they revert back to older iGPUs, it will be around until there is something else to replace it.

Killing dGPU remains a maybe, but I can't see the iGPU going anywhere.

I mean Ice Lake is not doing well. Most OEMs are selling Coffee Lake ULVs and Ice Lake is less prevalent. I don't think Tiger Lake is going to be too different unless Intel drastically scale down the insane prices. Most OEMs prefer using Coffee Lake ULVs simply due to lower prices for basically the same end result.

10 hours ago, RotoCoreOne said:

It seems like a lot of companies are quick to end a product if the returns arent there in the short term

Google pixel be like

15 Top Nervous Meme Images Photos & Jokes | QuotesBae

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Major corporations typically focus on one thing in markets like this:

If you make the day, you make the week, you make the quarter, you make the year.  (staying within EBIT budget)

How do you make the day?  Make some business critical decisions that ensure that daily you are above all of the variable costs targets. 

And last but certainly not least, the majority of these white collar higher ups are psychopaths that have the ability to get another high paying job shortly after getting ousted or leaving another high paying job, so they dont think like you and I (I have no higher education) in terms of keeping a job.  Careers now-a-days are field relevant not company relevant.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

As expected, there's a lot of people using this as even more fuel that Intel's fked, etc, but personally I've still got faith in Xe and considering the sparsity of information about the project, I suspect this is highly, highly speculative commentary.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

Wait really? If Xe is dead Aurora is dead or now AMD?

I just read the OP properly, they are going to fucking force themselves to make this for Aurora until 2023 basically? Intel is FUCKED

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

56 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Only one of these has an Intel GPU part, the rest appar to be nVidia parts.

Can you help me out here, where's the Intel GPU? I can't see one. If you're looking at the Xeon Phi, while it kinda sits between a pure CPU and GPU, I'd argue it is way closer to a CPU than GPU in that each core of it is an x86 CPU.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Can you help me out here, where's the Intel GPU? I can't see one. If you're looking at the Xeon Phi, while it kinda sits between a pure CPU and GPU, I'd argue it is way closer to a CPU than GPU in that each core of it is an x86 CPU.

Xe looks to be the successor to Phi, we just don't really know what Xe is yet since only some engineers have it.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

Xe looks to be the successor to Phi, we just don't really know what Xe is yet since only some engineers have it.

Xe is the successor to... I don't even know what it is called. Whatever they call a GPU today. Intel UHD Graphics and friends. Phi was really different. It was essentially a double helping of FPU strapped onto an Atom x86 core. Potentially great if you're doing a lot of FP64 work, which is used a lot in traditional HPC, but not so much for other uses. At most Xe is only a successor in time to the Phi, but I don't think there isn't a genetic connection between them. From what people have managed to pull out of code updates to support it, Xe does look a lot more like a traditional GPU.

Intel digged their own grave. Being 100% complacent for being on top for years completely crush any will to innovate. Whoever was calling the shots had absolutely no vision. Now I hope that the same won't happen to AMD after they completely establish their place on top of the market.  

I'll believe it when I see it

7 hours ago, porina said:

Xe is the successor to... I don't even know what it is called. Whatever they call a GPU today. Intel UHD Graphics and friends. Phi was really different. It was essentially a double helping of FPU strapped onto an Atom x86 core. Potentially great if you're doing a lot of FP64 work, which is used a lot in traditional HPC, but not so much for other uses. At most Xe is only a successor in time to the Phi, but I don't think there isn't a genetic connection between them. From what people have managed to pull out of code updates to support it, Xe does look a lot more like a traditional GPU.

Considering they dropped Phi, it and came out with that one slide that says Xe is going into everything from Super-Computers to laptop graphics, I'm more inclined to believe that it's not an evolution of the existing Iris Graphics-related GPU.

I'm more inclined to believe that there's actually more than one actual thing being made, and Xe is just the brand. Time will tell if this is actually what ends up in laptops, but as of right now Intel has nothing for Super-Computers other than the person in charge of Xe fondling a rather large chip in a twitter post.

My opinion, just based on , pretty much everything, is that there was a customer willing to buy the Xe parts.

https://wccftech.com/intel-xe-hpc-7nm-gpu-xeon-sapphire-rapids-cpu-powered-aurora-supercomputer-detailed/

Intel-Aurora-Supercomputer_Xe-HPC-Ponte-

Just, who knows, maybe Cray changed their mind.

Intel-Aurora-Supercomputer_Xe-HPC-Ponte-

Looks like Intel is losing out there.

Man, Intel is really messing up left and right these days it seems.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

I'm more inclined to believe that there's actually more than one actual thing being made, and Xe is just the brand. Time will tell if this is actually what ends up in laptops, but as of right now Intel has nothing for Super-Computers other than the person in charge of Xe fondling a rather large chip in a twitter post.

That's not so much different from the high FP64 models that AMD and nvidia have, that we don't usually see as consumers. It is logical for Xe to go that route also.

What does "nothing for supercomputers" even mean here? They are delivering GPUs for the one in progress. That's a done deal.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Looks like Intel is losing out there.

Depends on how you pick which supercomputers to look at. They're used in 4 of the current top 10 list, with one from AMD, and the rest mostly Power and the odd one I never heard of before or will again. The US strategy in buying supercomputers might be changing from mix and match of suppliers to each one with CPU+GPU from a single source. As such, Intel needed a GPU to play in this area, and likewise nvidia need a competitive CPU too.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:18 PM, RotoCoreOne said:

I hope the rumors aren’t true, but I can see it happening, I guess. It seems like a lot of companies are quick to end a product if the returns arent there in the short term. Or they already see that the long term investment isnt worth it... id hope theyd know that building a good gpu takes several generations

Define "short term" because this project has been costing Intel billions for years.

I don't know, if Intel can't pull their GPU game together between AMD and Apple I think they'll be squeezed in the mobile market...

5 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

I don't know, if Intel can't pull their GPU game together between AMD and Apple I think they'll be squeezed in the mobile market...

Xe cannot compete with proper dGPUs from either AMD or Nvidia. The goal is to make a mobile GPU that is not two times slower than Vega 6/7. That's what they're after. But by the time this thing comes to market, Navi iGPUs will be on the market and I seriously doubt it will be even close.

23 hours ago, porina said:

Depends on how you pick which supercomputers to look at. They're used in 4 of the current top 10 list, with one from AMD, and the rest mostly Power and the odd one I never heard of before or will again. The US strategy in buying supercomputers might be changing from mix and match of suppliers to each one with CPU+GPU from a single source. As such, Intel needed a GPU to play in this area, and likewise nvidia need a competitive CPU too.

And if Intel can offer a CPU and GPU solution, then they don't need nVidia, where as nVidia always needs a CPU vendor, be that AMD, Intel, Power, ARM, or whatever.

That's the only reason IMO that nVidia might be after ARM. That would lower their costs to produce a CPU for this market. Intel on the otherhand just doesn't have a good track record with any of their GPU parts.

Oddly enough I only see AMD "winning" this kind of competition as long as they can produce things that neither Intel or nVidia can. That doesn't make me believe nVidia is going to fall behind, but nVidia has more to lose in producing a product nobody wants than Intel does. Intel has other products to sell.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:54 AM, RejZoR said:

Sacking something after you've spent all the R&D on it and already have working products is what's actually stupid. Also it could be what would be keeping them afloat just like it did with AMD when their CPU division was struggling. Unless it's so crap it won't do even that on any level. Remember, AMD was kept up by Polaris class cards, so RX480/RX580 and RX590... Mid range cards.

Sunken cost fallacy.

You don’t throw good money after bad money.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:18 PM, RotoCoreOne said:

I hope the rumors aren’t true, but I can see it happening, I guess. It seems like a lot of companies are quick to end a product if the returns arent there in the short term. Or they already see that the long term investment isnt worth it... id hope theyd know that building a good gpu takes several generations

In my experience, corporations have the attention span of a really hyper little dog. Shareholders are supposedly even worse.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

51 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Sunken cost fallacy.

You don’t throw good money after bad money.

Then you don't throw a money at something you apparently already know you can't do well. At all.

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Xe cannot compete with proper dGPUs from either AMD or Nvidia. The goal is to make a mobile GPU that is not two times slower than Vega 6/7. That's what they're after. But by the time this thing comes to market, Navi iGPUs will be on the market and I seriously doubt it will be even close.

I'd be interested in hearing a source on this because so far we know very little whatsoever about it.