[Rumour] [AdoredTV] Intel Xe graphics project effectively dead?

Never-edge
57 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

I'd be interested in hearing a source on this because so far we know very little whatsoever about it.

Look at all the Notebookcheck articles on it. All of them are focused on Xe matching last gen Vega iGPUs currently. In its final form it will likely be aimed at Vega iGPUs from Renoir. But by that point, Navi IGPPus will be readily available.

22 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Look at all the Notebookcheck articles on it. All of them are focused on Xe matching last gen Vega iGPUs currently. In its final form it will likely be aimed at Vega iGPUs from Renoir. But by that point, Navi IGPPus will be readily available.

All of those are developer samples not final products. Developer samples merely need to be feature complete the actual performance doesn't matter. AFAIk what actual production units will look like is a complete unknown.

54 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

All of those are developer samples not final products. Developer samples merely need to be feature complete the actual performance doesn't matter. AFAIk what actual production units will look like is a complete unknown.

Every day that passes we're getting closer to final release, and the performance is less likely to change. Amongst the Intel news they said Tiger Lake was to ship in Q3. By the end of September we will know, unless there are yet more delays.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

11 minutes ago, porina said:

Every day that passes we're getting closer to final release, and the performance is less likely to change. Amongst the Intel news they said Tiger Lake was to ship in Q3. By the end of September we will know, unless there are yet more delays.

Oh sure but the last hardware i heard leaks on was months and months and months ago. I don't think there's been a single leak on any Xe hardware that isn't a confirmed development sample meaning we still have no clue what actual shipping products will look like. Also what ahs Tiger Lake got to do with Xe discrete?

Considering the source, i wouldn't trust this being true, or at least it would be really dumb for intel to give up on something they invested billions into. And I hope it isnt true because more competition in the gpu market would be nice.

12 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Also what ahs Tiger Lake got to do with Xe discrete?

Tiger Lake will have Xe in mobile, and I'm sure the usual places will test it to death. It'll give us some reference point to try scaling up to possible dGPU implementations.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Then you don't throw a money at something you apparently already know you can't do well. At all.

You throw money at something you think you can do well, but if you come to the conclusion that you actually can’t (after some R&D) you terminate the project to keep expenses in check. This happends all the time with all companies, not only technology.

8 hours ago, Spindel said:

You throw money at something you think you can do well, but if you come to the conclusion that you actually can’t (after some R&D) you terminate the project to keep expenses in check. This happends all the time with all companies, not only technology.

Can confirm. Or projects drag on for much longer than they should have, and in that time, the market has changed drastically due to a competitor releasing something in a radical new direction and now you've spent the last 3 years chasing that new target. So many projects get cancelled in the concept phase, many in the "exploratory" (engineering validation test) phase, and even a few in the development verification test phase. But even if the project makes it to pilot phase, if anything points to it costing more money to manufacture the product than the customer is willing to pay, you pretty much have no choice but to scrap the project.

As far as Xe, I always thought they were going after specific markets first (like servers or machine learning or something), before consumer-grade stuff.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

7 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

As far as Xe, I always thought they were going after specific markets first (like servers or machine learning or something), before consumer-grade stuff.

Xe will be the new iGPU included in upcoming mobile and desktop CPUs. Mobile Tiger Lake CPUs are due to release this quarter (by end of September). Alder Lake mobile and desktop will have it, given as 2H 2021. Rocket Lake desktop is also supposed to get it before Alder Lake, but I can't find a reliable reference right now. I just remember thinking it would be tight to fit that between current Comet Lake and Alder Lake next year. We also know Xe in Ponte Vecchio form is being used for a US supercomputer. Not so much news on a consumer dGPU.