Multiple internal sources confirm that all initial consumer Ampere products will be on Samsung 8nm

So......right off the bat Tom divulges that two of his 'Nvidia insiders' tentatively verified that all production of "GA102 and higher" (engineering samples aside) leading up to the launch of consumer Ampere cards this fall will on Samsung's 8nm process. This falls on the heels of Intel's troubles (and Nvidia earlier this year) securing capacity at scale with TSMC as Apple, AMD, and Qualcomm have snatched up the vast majority of it.

Screenshot_20200731_051519.thumb.jpg.259c4a16234e0962842d19ce4194dbcd.jpg

This seemingly includes the RTX 3080 (GA102), 3070 (GA103), 3060 (GA104), 3050 (GA106), and 3040 (GA107:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200731_050328.jpg.343ad4cd70049a5bb386b0fb60d9d794.jpg

Maybe we'll see a "Super" refresh on TSMC next year. At least, one can hope.

What are the multiple sources? I’m not watching the video but I hope the only source isn’t that guy and his secret “informers”.

Meh, rumours rumours rumours. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen that guy's whole channel is based on rumours and random assumptions. I'm not trying to hate or anything, but I don't feel like what he dreamt last night or what his mate emailed him is newsworthy.

Regardless, even if consumer-grade Ampere was on 8nm, that doesn't mean anything. Turing at 12nm beats Navi/RDNA at 7nm in both performance and efficiency, for instance. Heck, Pascal on 16nm is about on par with Navi (a 1080Ti is quite similar to the 5700XT watt for watt).

Let's just wait for real performance metrics to tell us what we actually want to know - who the performance king is this generation.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Who cares? 7 or 8nm? You wouldn't see the difference anyway! :D

25 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Meh, rumours rumours rumours, please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen that guy's whole channel is based on rumours and random assumptions. I'm not trying to hate or anything, but I don't feel like what he dreamt last night is newsworthy.

Well if you skim through all his videos, most of his Intel leaks over the past year were spot-on. He also apparently corroborates his info with AdoredTV and Coreteks as well.

The YouTube tech leaking community is still pretty small, but I give them as much benefit-of-the-doubt as the following sites:

• Notebookcheck
  • Tech Power Up
  • PC Gamer
  • PC Perspective
  • PCGamesN
  • Tom's Guide
  • ArsTechnica

Plus, he was leaking and discussing this stuff in videos 2-4 months before other mainstream tech sites started picking up on it.

Go watch his videos and podcasts. He's not just some random guy "confirming" stuff he has no clue about.

3 minutes ago, Korben said:

I think there is some real difference in density. 7nm is a lot better according to some image I found.

101 MTr/mm2 is tsmc 7nm

61 MTr/mm2 is Samsung 8nm

2 minutes ago, Korben said:

It's all about scaling, efficiency, and yields: https://semiengineering.com/5-3nm-wars-begin/

Which is why everyone wants a piece of TSMC before Samsung or Global Foundries despite the latter two offering cheaper prices.

8 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Well if you skim through all his videos, most of his Intel leaks over the past year were spot-on. He also apparently corroborates his info with AdoredTV and Coreteks as well.

The YouTube tech leaking community is still pretty small, but I give them as much benefit-of-the-doubt as the following sites:

• Notebookcheck
  • Tech Power Up
  • PC Gamer
  • PC Perspective
  • PCGamesN
  • Tom's Guide
  • ArsTechnica

Just to play devil's advocate here, Comet Lake-S has been leaked for over a year, and predicting what Intel's going to come out with hasn't been too challenging lately, considering the fact that their die shrinking troubles are public knowledge.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Korben said:

Haven't we learnt that what one company calls x nm isn't necessarily the same as what another company calls y nm? 

I do wonder, even if roughly, where Samsung 8nm fits in relative to TSMC 7nm, Intel 10nm, or whatever else is around. In a bit of searching so far, Samsung 8nm is an upgrade to their 10nm process, before making a bigger jump to Samsung's 7nm process. News about 8nm first appeared around 2017. TSMC 12nm as used for Turing was apparently a refinement of their 16nm process. This also dates around 2017. It is hard to compare these different processes as they vary in different parameters. The only common one I've found between them, shows a big improvement going from TSMC 12nm to Samsung 8nm (about a node worth), Samsung 8nm to either TSMC 7nm or Intel 10nm is about a half node difference. Again, this is only on one parameter of something much more complex than a single number, so performance delta on average may be different.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

And I insist: you wouldn't SEE the difference!

Don't take this stuff so serious... it's just rumours, speculations, nonsense whatsoever... chill a bit.

i am a bit confused with Ampere... Nvidia was going on about 25% better power efficiency and shrinking the die size.

So shouldn't they be going from 8pin power connectors to 6 or 4 pin. Moving to 12 pin plugs that can likely deliver 600Watts doesn't sound like power efficiency?

If you are chasing lower power usage why are we going the other side of the scale here?

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

53 minutes ago, Maticks said:

i am a bit confused with Ampere... Nvidia was going on about 25% better power efficiency and shrinking the die size.

So shouldn't they be going from 8pin power connectors to 6 or 4 pin. Moving to 12 pin plugs that can likely deliver 600Watts doesn't sound like power efficiency?

If you are chasing lower power usage why are we going the other side of the scale here?

Power efficiency is not the same as power draw. If that were the case then an old 75 watt gpu would be the same power efficiency as a new 75 watt gpu. 

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

I'm thinking those 600w 12pin is going to be for those hpc and very high end hopper MCM design cards

Probably be killers but spendy

That’s fine with me, as long as RTX performance doesn’t take a significant hit at 1440p or 4K, I am ready for Ampere’s launch. Sept can’t come soon enough!

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Code XI | Graphics Card: RTX 3090 FE | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz | 

Storage: LOADS of drives: SSD + HDD | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850 W | 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout (window) | Cooling: CRYORIG H5 Universal 

PCPartPicker List

29 minutes ago, Arika S said:

it was inevitable that TSMC was going to run out of capacity. so this isn't that surprising.

Believe this was planned from the beginning considering samsung supposedly under cut tsmc

But i guess 8nm though which is most likely fine

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-nvidia-7nm-ampere-tsmc,39583.html

Think there was news topics here also if memory serves me correct

19 hours ago, Korben said:

it does matter. Samsungs 8nm is way behind TSMC 7nm

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

21 hours ago, Korben said:

Don't take this stuff so serious... it's just rumours, speculations, nonsense whatsoever... chill a bit.

You WILL see the difference in heat and power. It's one thing for your card to be using 250W, it's a whole different thing I'd it's at 350W

22 hours ago, Korben said:

Total role reversal...

The German person makes the joke and everyone else totally misses it :D

I got it at least.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

it does matter. Samsungs 8nm is way behind TSMC 7nm

Yeah, it's a slightly improved version of their 10nm. Basically equivalent to Intel's 14+++ process: https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/1443/vlsi-2018-samsungs-8nm-8lpp-a-10nm-extension/

Transistor Density Comparison

212660_Dde0RFIVQAAcZfO.jpg

efbTLL9.png

Thing is, I don't get we haven't heard anything about Nvidia and Intel buying up Samsung 7nm/5nm capacity. Cuz they've been building out capacity for the past year: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15538/samsung-starts-mass-production-at-v1-a-dedicated-euv-fab-for-7nm-6nm-5nm-4nm-3nm-nodes

12 hours ago, Results45 said:

Thing is, I don't get we haven't heard anything about Nvidia and Intel buying up Samsung 7nm/5nm capacity. Cuz they've been building out capacity for the past year: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15538/samsung-starts-mass-production-at-v1-a-dedicated-euv-fab-for-7nm-6nm-5nm-4nm-3nm-nodes

Probably all allocated to NAND, Memory and Mobile SoCs.

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Probably all allocated to NAND, Memory and Mobile SoCs.

Samsung has been pushing Exynos for not just mobile CPU, including on device AI cores similar to what Apple has done for a while, but also as a 5g modem platform.  Those are already shipping on their 7nm.  Of course there's various memory that they've announced using EUV for now too, but what most people don't see is that they're also in the automotive industry with a different Exynos line that has been on 8nm as well, and not just for infotainment or self driving, but for things like your normal dashboard cluster readouts…and the most often forgotten chipset in computing circles is optics/sensors.

So I would expect their next node production lines to initially be fully used by those items as they ramp up their next generation of stuff.

Still going to knock the park out of what AMD can offer, so why not use the cheaper fab?

Mehh thought this was about Ampere computings ARM CPUs, not some boring graphics card :P

EDIT:// I think it’s time to add a rule to this forum that you ned to have Nvidia ampere in the headline for Nvidia related stuff (and Ampere computing for the ARM stuff, if anyone posts anything about that)

Typical, someone makes a relatively amusing joke about node size and half the forum trips over themselves to correct it.

@Korben I "SEE" what you did there.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.