Survey: How old is your computer?

maxtch

How old is your computer?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. How old is your computer? (If you have multiple computers, take an average)

• Less than a year
    • 1-2 years
    • 3-4 years
    • 5-10 years
    • 10+ years

My oldest was an X230 (that I've sold to somebody whose T440p got stolen). My newest is my desktop that I build a few months ago. In between is my X1 Extreme Gen 1 that I bought refurbished last November. I plan on getting an AMD X13 to replace the X230 as my secondary laptop. I'll probably sell the X1 Extreme next year and upgrade to a P15 Gen 2. Depends on what the P1 Gen 4 looks like.

My main desktop is an R7 2700X that I put together late last year, had an i5 7600K before that and it's a secondary computer now. I have some Haswell stuff hanging around, I rarely get rid of anything. I still have some C2D machines and a few old P4 PGA478 machines in a closet. I even have a couple of laptops, including one with an Athlon XP-M. The laptop I actually use is a Sandy bridge i5 Dell Latitude, kinda crap these days but it works and has decent connectivity, even cellular if I wanted to put a SIM in it. I also have an Early 2008 iMac that's fully-loaded, a first-gen PowerPC Mac Mini that's basically a doorstop, and a CRT iMac.

I had a couple of Phenom II x6 systems, gave one to a family member, gave the other to my office to set up a server. I just got rid of a bunch of parts a few months ago, I had a bag of ISA-slot 1200 and 2400 baud modems, and some 1mb video cards. Also some completely worthless IDE hard drives. I still have a whole pile of SoundBlaster and compatible sound cards that are useless these days, and a few old 3Dfx video cards; So much stuff that hasn't had a driver since Windows XP if that.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Hard to tell since I'm always upgrading. But the oldest parts are 2-3 years old. My HTPC only has reused parts.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

How do you define the age of a computer, though. Is it the age of the oldest component? Is it when you first put it together (see Ship of Theseus)? Is it the age of the main components? Or is it simply the average of all the ages of each component?

Oldest component is the case and one of the fans, 6 years, and is also when I initlally put the PC together. The CPU, motherboard and RAM were changed out in 2017. The average would be I'm guessing about 4 years

:)

Hows about a computer so old it can't even run Windows properly (or a newish version anyway)?

My current and only desktop is a prebuild my wife bought when she was a student ... It's based around a Core 2 Quad Q8200 from 2008.
I'm mainly working on my company's laptop and the lack of time for gaming/video editing due to a house renovation lead to no upgrading this PC since she bought it. We only bought a I7 surface pro 2 years ago to replace a dying Ipad, our computers are therefore definitely not at the cutting edge of technology.

I love hardware and can easily afford a very high end rig but have absolutely no use for it right now, therefore I keep what I've got until there's an actual need. Having more free time now so I'm trying to be a bit up to date with the current things and considering building a new computer.
That's how I do, if there's a use I buy/upgrade, if not then things stay. Quite a cost effective approach, my last actual build from scratch was based on an AMD Athlon 1700+ and a custom loop back in 03' ;)

What do i do if I have all of the computer parts for a $600 build but a motherboard on my table, literally? i am typing this on a 2011 MacBook Air but as soon as the motherboard comes, i will have a 0 year old build with the Ryzen 3600 and 16GB of RAM and a RX 470 OC? I imagine it is the main computer but I have most of the parts for a 0 yr old computer.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

On 7/1/2020 at 5:39 PM, maxtch said:

"There is no point polishing a turd that is an old PC not of the current generation. Sell it while it still worth something." (I trickle upgrade my PC, so the base platform is often a few generations behind.)

I like buying the stuff that's just gone cheap, so I can have quite functional hardware for a small amount of money. :D

On 7/1/2020 at 5:39 PM, maxtch said:

"Why bother with trickle upgrades? It is much more satisfying to get big upgrades year over year."

Simple: I like having money, rather than spending it on something I don't need. ;)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

bought in 2015 (x-99 platform)..then swapped/upgrade parts over the years till the only the casing (corsair 780t), was the only part left from the original build ...

On 7/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, maxtch said:

So I would like to survey this here, on a platform mostly of Western audience, how old is your computer?

How do you define "your computer"? Motherboard and CPU? A week old, 10600K and mobo that theoretically is great, but in practice all core max is 4,7Ghz :(

I edit my posts more often than not

I just got a 15.6 inch HP computer. Runs an Intel Core i5, 12GB of DDR3 Ram, 256 GB of Solid State Storage. I use it for video editing, surfing the web, and social media. However, its not the best for gaming as I tried to play a demo version of Detroit: Become Human on this (For the record, I have the full game for PS4). All in all, I think its a really good laptop. Best one I have ever owned.

Depends on the part and depends on the system.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

My PC is an old ten year old phenom system.

I think it depends on your definition.

My rig is running an i7-5820K fresh out of 2014, a GTX 1070 from 2016, but I've only had this system since July of 2019.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I have a 2 month old laptop and 2-3 year old desktop that I use. But I also have 3 10-15 year old desktops (some still use pata) and a decade+ laptop that just sit in my room.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

7 year old PC with i5 4430 but I added RX480 and new PSU 3 years ago. It's time to switch platform though.

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

• 2 months later...

my newest computer is 5~ ish old laptop

my desktop is a i5 3470 (still runs great)

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 year old B450 platform with flagship 2700x. 

No new platforms till DDR5.

Have hardware 20 years old.

Where should I vote?

I have a i5 7400 and RX480. New 3070 soon, and new r5 3600 later.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 years old, but with a 1 year old videocard (upgraded my videocard last year)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

My current machine was built in August of last year if I remember correctly. I did carry my video card over from my previous build.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Only got a new PC this year because my 7600k decided 2 1/2 years was long enough. Would've kept it for about another year.

1 Month, just got my XMG Core 15 AMD, see specs below. Will build a brand new PC with Zen 3 and RTX 3000 series later this year/beginning of next year. And then I'll upgrade both the Tower and Notebook every two years.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I was always a firm believer of trickle upgrades too: I would ask every birthday a piece of my rig to my parents (sometimes I got two because I got the uncles involved lol), but since I started working a year ago I stopped gaming, so I have my old system with an i7 2700K and no video card, because my 970 broke shortly after I started working.

However now with the new things that are going to be released I am going to make a bulk upgrade for the first time in my life since I can afford it. I am so excited and I can't wait to try VR too!