This really don't ad up - Samsung phone showing ads in some regions

williamcll

Previously, it was thought that Xiaomi and various Android TVs have an issue with ads in their interface. However recent disputed leaks regarding OS update to One UI 2.5 shows that the company may be adding more advertisements to their software ecosystem.

The report in question comes from TizenHelp, and it claims that One UI 2.5 might include lock screen ads that will force users to wait 15seconds to watch a video ad, after which they’ll be allowed to unlock their Galaxy smartphones. The report cites a screenshot recently shared on Samsung Korea’s community forums, which clearly shows an ad on the lock screen with a 15s timer right below the fingerprint scanner. However, both Mishaal Rahman and Max Weinbach from our team believe that the information provided in the report is incorrect.

one-ui-2-5-lock-screen-ads.png

Pic above: the disputed image in question, believed to be a parody.

However, with discussion about the leaks, varying users reported that there are already ads in the system. Which appear from messages from apps made from app contractors of samsung:

weather-app-ad-samsung.jpg

To everywhere else:

Samsung-One-UI-stock-app-ads-1-420x1024.

It seems that advertisement issues may be regional and some phones do not have them at all.

Source: https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-one-ui-2-5-add-lockscreen-ads-problem/

https://www.sammobile.com/news/no-one-ui-2-5-isnt-going-to-put-ads-lock-screen/

Thoughts: You know how a lot of applications would ask you to pay a fee to remove ads? This is the opposite of that, there is no reason a phone that costs over 800$ should have any ads at all. At least some phones still have rooted adblockers (I suggest AdAway).

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I have a Samsung phone myself,but thanks to my very strict firewall rules i don't have things like that happen to me.

Not rooted because of warranty.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I already heard that Samsung is doing ads on their smart TVs and also that some cheap Chinese smartphones do this but I didn’t expect this on samsung phones

might be worth paying the apple tax

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Imagine wanting to make a phone call, but you can't because there's an ad that you've got to sit through for 15 seconds before you can unlock the device.

Utterly ridiculous

If that were true, I can only imagine the utter shitstorm

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I don't see them in my region, but oh wow would I skip such a phone if it did. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So why should one buy a phone that costs more then? Esp if they want to stay in the Android ecosystem?

Xiaomi MIUI is full of it, unless you buy the EU rom versions, but not on the lock screen and can be removed/disabled to all or some degree, plus alternatives to their products. I just need to block notifications and I've removed all aspects of ads on the phone in that sense. There might be a way to stop ads on Sammy devices but Sammy shouldn't need to use them.

3 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Imagine wanting to make a phone call, but you can't because there's an ad that you've got to sit through for 15 seconds before you can unlock the device.

Imagine trying to call 9-1-1 and that 15 seconds means life or death... Ads in apps ok, ads on lock screens and basic functions of a phone no, 0, 100% nothing permitted on any phone.

The new S20 I just got had an option for me to opt in to have ads on my lock screen so i can "help starving children". I'm sorry starving children, i'm sure you really aren't getting any of this though.

12 hours ago, Vishera said:

I have a Samsung phone myself,but thanks to my very strict firewall rules i don't have things like that happen to me.

Not rooted because of warranty.

I require instructions.

Already using Youtube Vanced, so I have no ads there. But I have them elsewhere.

What do? Samsung S8 on Sprint network (boost mobile, I will be leaving in a month when the phone is paid off)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

14 hours ago, williamcll said:

I don't really have a problem with those, they're only from the galaxy store. 

People are overacting to those tbh

16 hours ago, williamcll said:
-snip-

Thats messed up, Ads are annoying, They already have enough, to add more is just messed up, glad i dont use android

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

While it is great that there are people who are knowledgable enough to make it so they do not have to experience these kinds of intrusions.....but it would just be better if people elected to buy devices that just didn't do BS like this in the first place.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Wow. This is bizarre. I would probably set up Pi-Hole if I ever got one.

if day == Friday:

Celebrate()

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

While it is great that there are people who are knowledgable enough to make it so they do not have to experience these kinds of intrusions.....but it would just be better if people elected to buy devices that just didn't do BS like this in the first place.

To be fair, it seems that phones sold for cheap are the main culprits, but it doesn't excuse the fact that my Note8 has ads promoting QLED TVs in the notification tray.

Samsung, I would really appreciate it if you didn't use my nearly-$1000 phone as a direct advertising platform...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Only 2 ecosystems one should ever go for:

Pure Google (not necessarily a stock Android, but one that doesn't force you inside a 3rd ecosystem like Sammy, less those in China)

Pure Apple.

Both companies specialize in software and hardware (for said software) as primary business strategies, while both are really different the similarities are there, unlike the mishmash of a company Samsung is. Diversity is good, but maybe if they focused less on trying to be like the big 2, their batteries might not be as bad in their phones, and I'm not just referring to the Note 7's either, but overall.

If Sammy want its own ecosystem it can do what Huawei is doing making its own damn OS. Grow up and act like a big boy, not just copy and claim to be one.

Actually Samsung reminds me of Veruca Salt... Sees it, wants it.

Wanka = Apple - "The man with the funny hat"

Charlie's Grandfather = Google - Maybe. (the comment he says after this clip ends)

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

To be fair, it seems that phones sold for cheap are the main culprits, but it doesn't excuse the fact that my Note8 has ads promoting QLED TVs in the notification tray.

At least the the markets I know Samsungs cheap phones are not the best specs/cheapest, so there is still no excuse. OLED isn't always the answer for every phone.

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

If Sammy want its own ecosystem it can do what Huawei is doing making its own damn OS. Grow up and act like a big boy, not just copy and claim to be one.

They have, it's called Tizen. Though never really used on their phones, it's mostly used on their other smart-connected devices and wearables.

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I require instructions.

Already using Youtube Vanced, so I have no ads there. But I have them elsewhere.

What do? Samsung S8 on Sprint network (boost mobile, I will be leaving in a month when the phone is paid off)

I use a firewall,You can use NoRoot Firewall or any other firewall out there.

In my firewall rules i set the default to block all traffic,then i whitelist the apps and services i want to have internet access.

This is also more secure than the normal firewall rules and let's you control what's coming in and out,if you don't like a specific IP address you can block it.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

20 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

They have, it's called Tizen. Though never really used on their phones, it's mostly used on their other smart-connected devices and wearables.

I believe Tizen is only used in their smartwatches.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

Use it, if it sucks stop pretending to be good at something.

Also... The phone they used it on sucked even back then... Granted a good price, but it lacked so many features that I actually used in my Stylo 3 that came out the same year, my Stylo was double the price but had at least 3x the features easily, biggest ones where NFC and a fingerprint reader... The stylus was a bonus in that sense.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8694&idPhone2=8682 (Oh the chip they used was only used in 8 phones, 6 of which where Sammy, and 2 of those where 2 variants of one model)

So no in reality they never did have a OS for phones.

This is one of the reasons why I love custom ROM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The problem is that when most of us bought the phones without knowing about it,and at the time there was nothing in the internet on the matter.

And it wasn't a cheap phone,i bought a flagship Note.

I was furious about the many intrusive elements in the software,i wanted to root and get rid of it or install stock android,

but because that voids the warranty,i had to find a different way...

So i installed a firewall on the phone and used CCSWE to disable the intrusive system services and all of my problems are gone.

52 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

To be fair, it seems that phones sold for cheap are the main culprits,

Cheap phones are no excuse,i have seen many cheap phones that don't have such atrocious and intrusive elements in them.

52 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

but it doesn't excuse the fact that my Note8 has ads promoting QLED TVs in the notification tray.

Samsung, I would really appreciate it if you didn't use my nearly-$1000 phone as a direct advertising platform...

Use a firewall ;)

27 minutes ago, Promosss said:

I believe Tizen is only used in their smartwatches.

IIRC, it's also used on their TVs

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

The problem is that when most of us bought the phones without knowing about it,and at the time there was nothing in the internet on the matter.

And it wasn't a cheap phone,i bought a flagship Note.

I was furuious about the many intrusive elements in the software,i wanted to root and get rid of it or install stock android,

but because that voids the warranty,i had to find a different way...

So i installed a firewall on the phone and used CCSWE to disable the intrusive system services and all of my problems are gone.

Cheap phones are no excuse,i have seen many cheap phones that don't have such atrocious and intrusive elements in them.

Use a firewall ;)

The problem is the average user wouldn't know how to set up a firewall to block intrusive ads like these, and they shouldn't have to. I haven't experienced anything like these yet on my Note 9 (though i have once, on Twitter app but i think that comes from another app that i installed). But if these happened to me, no more Samsung phone for me in the future.