Summer Folding Sprint of 2020

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

PRIZES!!!!!

With the posting of this, we have now concluded the event. If you would like to continue folding I ask that you pop over to the Folding Community Board!

@TVwazhere or @leadeater can one of you guys lock this thread please now. 

Thank you everyone, see you again soon!

Happy folding,

Spec.

1 minute ago, rodarkone said:

True SLI :)DSC_0025.thumb.JPG.52c6ed14ae2d999d7a4552d4bf8ba642.JPG

Ahh the good old of days of fighting with drivers and video settings to get 24 FPS and being thrilled when you did ;)

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

1 minute ago, rodarkone said:

"the human eye cannot see more than 24 fps anyway" ... image.png.8a18fe8a37a8c8428a0dc9221aacd112.png

Why would you want your games to not look cinematic?

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

21 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

Why would you want your games to not look cinematic?

make sure to push up that film grain and motion blur for the best gaming experience!

38 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

make sure to push up that film grain and motion blur for the best gaming experience!

Why is motion blur, especially in FPS games even a thing... does anyone prefer it?

46 minutes ago, Filsamek said:

Hello, I don't usually post, but I am enjoying participating. Tis good fun.

We hope you stick around for the upcoming F@H events!

3 hours ago, LAR_Systems said:

Why is motion blur, especially in FPS games even a thing... does anyone prefer it?

Ive said this so much, I really dont get why it is included as a main graphics setting, and automatically turned on esp when you click on high or ultra settings.  I dont know a single person who plays with it on, and it instantly makes everything look bad.  

When I was playing control I remember loading it up and it had both film grain and motion blur on and I was like "what is wrong with this game, I thought it was supposed to look good...ohhhh they turned poop settings on by default"

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

4 hours ago, LAR_Systems said:

The issue is now... NV Link (SLI) is only really there for certain data applications and synthetic benchmarks, pretty much useless in gaming / day to day etc.  They seemed to therefore be killing it off...  But then.  B550.

B550 mobos have the CPU support, PCIE lanes and in most cases I have seen dual GPU support even with the PCI X16 slot spacing setup to support 2 thick boi cards.     AMD is even touting the boards "Dual GPU" support at 16 and 8X...   

So... either AMD is planning to use PCIE 4.0 to finally make AMD crossfire worth it on their net gen cards... or NVidia is going to return to SLI cause PCIE 4.0 is going so mainstream on AMD platforms the bandwidth is just sitting there for insane cards.

OR (marketing brain)

AMD just likes the sound of dual GPU support for B550 and no one really needs that as for most cases RTX cards out already are OP for most people and way out of budget to have multiple for just gaming.

Wait so do if B550 is supposed to have increased "dual GPU" support, does x570 not already have these features?  

4 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Wait so do if B550 is supposed to have increased "dual GPU" support, does x570 not already have these features?  

Many of the higher end X570 boards do, only some with PCIE bifurcation though if you wanted to split the channels up.

What B550 seems to be bringing to the table is  2 X16 slots in PCIE 4.0 with 16 or 8 lanes wired to the CPU (3000, 4000 series)

Then another 16x slot that is 8x commonly and wired to the chipset.

That's a lot of PCIE that is fast enough to game on with multiple cards, way more lanes than you need to fold on a GPU (4x in most cases)

B350 / 450 - Almost always was X16 @16,  X16@4x  at PCie 3.0... with sometimes another X16@4x but PCIE 2.0

2 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

Then another 16x slot that is 8x commonly and wired to the chipset.

Do we know which boards are going to have the additional 16x slot yet?

These two by the looks if you want both to be PCIE Gen 4.0 
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007625 600009016 601334778&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=B550

Then these have a PCIE Gen 4.0 and then another or 2 PCIE gen 3.0
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007625 600009016 600474769&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=B550

3 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Do we know which boards are going to have the additional 16x slot yet?

Personally I would be looking at the Gigabyte boards because they will likely have bifurcation like their X570 boards which means I can use M.2 risers and all kinds of crazy crap to make it a mobo that can run 7-8 GPUs if you want to run a mining case (and I just happen to have one sitting in the shed).

Want that sweet 4x PCI lanes per card so the PPD does not take a hit.

I can say, ive been very happy with my temps this time around. During the COVID event my CPU was getting quite toasty, and my fan config was very not optimal for my GPU's, but now that im under a 280MM CLC my 3900x is at 70c, and both of my GPU's are at 62c (One hybrid, one triple fan axial). Thats after being at full tilt since the event started. Ambient is somewhere around 30c.

Water cooling FTW i guess!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Alrighty, last CPU & GPU WUs that'll finish during the event just finished. CPU gets to sleep, and the GPU gets to fold while it's not playing games again.

I'll get you one of these days @cbigfoot

Thanks @GOTSpectrum for organizing this event!

For the next event:

giphy.gif

F@H    EOC

I predict I jump some spots and finish next to my boy @cbigfoot

And that's a wrap people!

Final ranks and prizes will be announced in due course, thank you to everyone who joined in on this event, I really appreciate every single persons effort here. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

woohoo .. !!!! that was a good one, with 5 power outages, a lot of heat and a lot of power consumed, too many bad units, and a lot of low points units, funny thing at some point my small folding army was running 4 of those bad units in parallel but I let them in order not to be passed to somebody else, hope those projects will finish soon and no more of those will be in the "wild". 

Congrats to the winner @Macaw2000 :) ahahaha :)

PS: forgot to give big thanks to the organisers @GOTSpectrum and his crew :)

Just now, HeavensLastHope said:

Glad to be able to participate in my first Folding Event! Can't wait to be in the next and have more units available to fold! Thanks @GOTSpectrum for putting this together and thank you everyone that got involved!

Same, im already upgrading my trash boxes.