The bicycle thread

YellowJersey
5 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Giant TCX-1 from 2011, which took over from my 1999 Giant OCR-1.

cool! ive been thinking geting a bike soon but man there all out of stock 😞

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

i know this might be a little off topic but it is bike related and it .. so it might fit.

Running a normal Cannondale Topstone 3, just for muttering about, for me, gamerfication of these things motivates me, so i have looked a lot at Zwift as a solution for that..

With a DD solution or maybe an exercise bike.. where do i start with this, any users? 

18 hours ago, adarw said:

cool! ive been thinking geting a bike soon but man there all out of stock 😞

Another problem is that the low-end road bike market doesn't seem to exist anymore. I remember circa 2007 when you could buy a decent road bike for $600 CAD. Now, you're starting well over the $1,000 CAD mark.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

2 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Another problem is that the low-end road bike market doesn't seem to exist anymore. I remember circa 2007 when you could buy a decent road bike for $600 CAD. Now, you're starting well over the $1,000 CAD mark.

yea my budget is quite low so its going to be quite hard 😞

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Got out today. Did 84km in 4 hours and 7 minutes. I was gunning for 100km, but I cut it short since my wife called me and said she lost her job, plus it was getting a little bit chilly and windy.

Total this year: 952km

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for E-Bike recommendations since I'd like to have an E-Bike before Winter.

I'm 170cm tall and am looking for a E-Mountainbike specifically with good tires, it will mainly be used on normal and sometimes gravel Roads. Should be able to do 25 to 30 km/h with paddle assist. Has to be available in Switzerland and max Budget is 2000 CHF. Will go to my local bike shop soon to get my current Mountainbike serviced and to look around for E-Bikes.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

8 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

max Budget is 2000

2000 what? apples? bananas? worthless czech crowns? useful swiss francs?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

13 minutes ago, Red 🙂 said:

2000 what? apples? bananas? worthless czech crowns? useful swiss francs?

CHF of course lol

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 8/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, soldier_ph said:

Looking for E-Bike recommendations since I'd like to have an E-Bike before Winter.

I'm 170cm tall and am looking for a E-Mountainbike specifically with good tires, it will mainly be used on normal and sometimes gravel Roads. Should be able to do 25 to 30 km/h with paddle assist. Has to be available in Switzerland and max Budget is 2000 CHF. Will go to my local bike shop soon to get my current Mountainbike serviced and to look around for E-Bikes.

can't you make one diy? most of ebikes are a scam, and if something breaks good luck repairing it

here is a useful pdf

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ti.com/lit/slva642&ved=2ahUKEwjf3_yU1NPyAhUF7KQKHXFZDlEQFnoECCUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw33VojHzuZjgUsX_pUrEbUn

• 2 weeks later...

Been slacking a bit lately, but I managed to get out twice this week. Saw a pair of bald eagles as well as some pelicans. I experimented with drinking only gatorade this time instead of my chocky milk, but I hit the wall around the 90km mark; I guess I need the calories and protein from the chocky milk. Today's ride started off pretty gloomy since it was pretty cloudy and a bit chilly for riding (17C), but the sun eventually came out and my bike computer read around 27C for a good part of the day. But, with the days getting shorter I need to take every opportunity I can to get out. I'd like to crack 100km before I hang up my bicycle gloves for the year.
First ride was 102km in 5 hours 5 minutes
Second ride (today) was 108km in 5 hours 15 minutes

Total this year: 904km

103km today in 5 hours and 6 minutes. I found myself with an unexpected abundance of free time today, so I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and head out for a ride since it's that time of year where each ride could be your last and you have to take whatever nice days you can get. It clouded over around the half way mark, but I finally cracked 1000km this year!

Total this year: 1,007km

September 24:

106km in 4 hours 59 minutes. I think that's my best time yet.

Total this year: 1113km

September 30:
82km in 4 hours and 8 minutes. I didn't eat enough yesterday and the wind changed direction mid-ride so I had a headwind pretty much the entire way. I did see a bald eagle, though.

Total this year: 1195km

• 8 months later...

Cycling season is back! I did 64km today in 3 hours and 21 minutes. That's not bad for a first ride of the year for me, but I had been training on my friend's peloton bike. I put about $500 worth of work into my bike to bring it up to scratch since I'm hopefully going to be riding the Icefields Parkway from Calgary to Jasper and back later on in the summer. I've done this trip one-way before, but never there and back.

I'm just a fat guy who bought a cheap mountain bike from a large sports chain store, but excited for the summer nonetheless. I assembled the bike Yesterday and test drove to work and back today, whopping 7km. It was fun and surprisingly quick, my neighbourhood is generally pretty hilly, but I have a great mostly flat route to work.

It has been about a decade since the last time I cycled any noteworthy amount. My original bike got stolen and I didn't replace it until a couple of years ago. My second bike was locked in a locked storage, yet it still got vandalised for parts. Fun. This time around I'm going to keep the bike in my apartment, thankfully even these cheap bikes have gotten absurdly light (I think mine is 14kg). I also got a decent chain with a good lock (thanks LPL), but I'll be trying my hardest never to leave it unsupervised anywhere but work.

Each time I have bought a bike I have also had to get a new pump. Figuring out Presta was fun.

8 hours ago, tatte said:

I'm just a fat guy who bought a cheap mountain bike from a large sports chain store, but excited for the summer nonetheless. I assembled the bike Yesterday and test drove to work and back today, whopping 7km. It was fun and surprisingly quick, my neighbourhood is generally pretty hilly, but I have a great mostly flat route to work.

It has been about a decade since the last time I cycled any noteworthy amount. My original bike got stolen and I didn't replace it until a couple of years ago. My second bike was locked in a locked storage, yet it still got vandalised for parts. Fun. This time around I'm going to keep the bike in my apartment, thankfully even these cheap bikes have gotten absurdly light (I think mine is 14kg). I also got a decent chain with a good lock (thanks LPL), but I'll be trying my hardest never to leave it unsupervised anywhere but work.

Each time I have bought a bike I have also had to get a new pump. Figuring out Presta was fun.

I always keep my bike inside. I'm not risking having it stolen! I've only ever kept it outside while cycle touring where you don't have much of a choice.

Just got my Cannondale Quick out and lubed. Love riding.....8-10miles per day is my limit. 

Only problem is its becoming dangerous in my town. Bike riders being shot for no reason.

55 minutes ago, wseaton said:

Just got my Cannondale Quick out and lubed. Love riding.....8-10miles per day is my limit. 

Only problem is its becoming dangerous in my town. Bike riders being shot for no reason.

Is this in the US?

Yep. I rimmed my frame with LED strips like Tron a couple years ago. Cool riding at night, but then I had a few threats made at me from cars....while I was on the sidewalk no less. So, I stick to day riding.

I live in a smaller town, but our police is significantly understaffed which doesn't help. 

Question: How do you pronounce, "derailleur?" I've always pronounced it, "derailer."

On 5/20/2022 at 12:38 PM, wseaton said:

Yep. I rimmed my frame with LED strips like Tron a couple years ago. Cool riding at night, but then I had a few threats made at me from cars....while I was on the sidewalk no less. So, I stick to day riding.

I live in a smaller town, but our police is significantly understaffed which doesn't help. 

Dude, that's nuts. Worst I've ever had is some people yelling at me, but I'm in Canada.

Second (outdoor) ride of the year. Did 81km in four hours and two minutes. The rear derailleur was giving me grief, but I managed to adjust it and sort out the issue. It was windy AF today, too. The only safe direction was south. I also forgot my wallet so I couldn't get my halfway chocky milk. And, for some reason, my middle finger is giving me grief. Perhaps from overuse? I actually don't know what I did to aggravate it.

Total this year: 145km

On 5/23/2022 at 6:25 AM, YellowJersey said:

Question: How do you pronounce, "derailleur?" I've always pronounced it, "derailer."

More de-rail-i-er but yes, about that way here.

As for getting shot at while on a bike, happens in uncivilised countries. Guns are not a problem in this country.

The days of out for a quick 100 km ride are now a bit in the past. My longest trip - 3500 km from LA up the coast of California to Oregon and back to San Francisco. Most interesting ride/trip? Riding across Singapore looking for a railway station which led to sailing a yacht from the Philippines to Japan because we were on our way to Scotland. Yes, a long story.

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

More de-rail-i-er but yes, about that way here.

As for getting shot at while on a bike, happens in uncivilised countries. Guns are not a problem in this country.

The days of out for a quick 100 km ride are now a bit in the past. My longest trip - 3500 km from LA up the coast of California to Oregon and back to San Francisco. Most interesting ride/trip? Riding across Singapore looking for a railway station which led to sailing a yacht from the Philippines to Japan because we were on our way to Scotland. Yes, a long story.

Nice. I did 8000km across Canada in 2008 and then from Vancouver to the Arctic Ocean in 2011. I'd love to do the 8000km trip again! I want to hear your story about Singapore.

I am an old man riding a small BMX, anything more than 10km and my knees want to give out. Was out at the skatepark the other day and I can definitely tell that I am not 20 anymore. Takes me so much longer to get up after a spill.

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I am an old man riding a small BMX, anything more than 10km and my knees want to give out.

Knees? It sounds as if the seat is too low and you are not spinning, that is using too high a gear. Get a proper bike, fit toe clips (they can be loose) and learn to use the gears, low gears so you aren't loading your knees. Then 10 km is just a warm-up.

13 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Knees? It sounds as if the seat is too low and you are not spinning, that is using too high a gear. Get a proper bike, fit toe clips (they can be loose) and learn to use the gears, low gears so you aren't loading your knees. Then 10 km is just a warm-up.

Uhhh, you obviously don't know what a bmx is used for... 😉 I'll just drop this here...

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Uhhh, you obviously don't know what a bmx is used for... 😉 I'll just drop this here...

But you did mention OLD. Not quite the things old blokes do. By old I presume you mean 60+.