The bicycle thread

YellowJersey

130km a few days ago. I just got my Hobson Easyseat II in the mail. Going to try it out tomorrow!

Total this year: 790km

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I dusted off my 15-year-old old Schwinn mountain bike the other weekend (after many years of hanging in the shed), and almost immediately had the rear derailleur snap off, catch on the wheel, and get pulled 270 degrees around.

Fack.

I found a used Simano Deore M570 to replace it for a decent price, but couldn't get it to thread into the mount. (It's a much better part than the Tourney that ate itself, for about the same cost. I figured, why not.) Either I'm a colossal dummy and bought the wrong mount type, or whoever assembled my bike at Target all those years ago managed to cross-thread the old one.

I dropped it off at a local bike shop to have them fix it properly. If they can't get the part I brought mounted, they can just replace like for like.

At least doing the tires, tubes, brakes, and chain should go more smoothly. Those I've replaced before.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I have a 26" Diamondback purchased in 2013 and haven't rode it much for some reason. Tried riding it earlier the Year and fell off trying to get off and turn around. Should have gotten a 24" instead of 26", as that was I what I rode before.

Anyway anyone built their bike?

Here's mine, getting it up to speed is hard on a straight road... the dual suspension / Bontrager tires certain aren't helping even though it isn't exactly a massive bike. Bit heavy as well... it's a good bike though.

131727164_IMG202205231948051266.thumb.jpg.7e3e0ae80ac1e82d2e56879c902bfed4.jpg

3 hours ago, Motifator said:

Here's mine, getting it up to speed is hard on a straight road... the dual suspension / Bontrager tires certain aren't helping even though it isn't exactly a massive bike. Bit heavy as well... it's a good bike though.

131727164_IMG202205231948051266.thumb.jpg.7e3e0ae80ac1e82d2e56879c902bfed4.jpg

Did you build that bike yourself? Looking at the back it looks like a DIY Kit.

103km today in four hours and 36 minutes! I wanted to go for 130km again, but I had to come home sooner to feed the cats. Plus, the wind really picked up and I would have been fighting a massive headwind to go the extra 30km. I saw a beaver, a stout, a pelican, a ring-necked pheasant, a couple of gold finches, and some huge bird of prey that I couldn't identify.

Total this year: 893km

I scored a pair of Serfas Drifters from a local bike shop for $50USD because of a sale(they would've been $70). They're far better on pavement than my god-knows-how-old curbside find tires that had pretty agressive tread. The new Serfas aren't as good offroad though. Unfortunately the reason I got new tires was because the rear one of those old reliables was developing a hole. I tried to patch it with metal tape and gorilla tape, but it started to bubble. 

Spoiler

Old:

IMG20220713144351.thumb.jpg.f0b4497672b72ece1a24ca30aeff2bb7.jpgIMG20220713144418.thumb.jpg.6900c2c6769d3a42d6e2ca4d2c833f3c.jpg

New:

IMG20220713144548.thumb.jpg.2a588fd820c2be9ea2e61e2a7a776f49.jpg

I also recently got a new saddle from someone at my school who bought it and thought it was really uncomfortable. I think it's fine, though a bit hard. Certainly an upgrade over my previous saddle. 

Spoiler

Old:

IMG20220713151447.thumb.jpg.fc4addc0a6351ebb013cb6c2fff5aa98.jpg

New:

IMG20220713144656.thumb.jpg.fe430ee8f955f1620ff63af9c9264f80.jpg

And here's my bike in its current form.

Spoiler

IMG20220713144640.thumb.jpg.2b78b6067594f85b148201128ab2866e.jpg

I'd like the next upgrade to be replacing the rack because the current one is held on with sheetmetal screws, metal tape, and string. The screw holes on the rack are sorta tearing appart, so at some point it's gonna be unrepairable, or at least a massive pain to repair. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

111km today in just over 5 hours. It was stupid hot. I went through 5 litres of water, 1 litre of gatorade, and 2 litres of chocolate milk throughout the ride. I didn't see much wildlife this time around other than a chipmunk and a few pelicans by the river. It was pretty hot, but at least it was about 4 degrees cooler than yesterday, which was stupid hot. The bike trails were surprisingly empty considering it's a Saturday.

Total this year: 1,004km

Looks like somebody went balls out on theirs... just saw this Specialized down the garage:

1054482636_IMG202207181902481330.thumb.jpg.f53a206e6e948d85843ee5238d0e1656.jpg

On 7/19/2022 at 9:48 PM, Toolhead1987 said:

help me find a bike that can support my 350 pound fat ass.

Check our your local bike shop. They should be able to help you.

101km today! Mental health ride. Had a stressful week and needed to burn off some frustration.

Total this year: 1,105km

Bikes are great, my girlfriend and I recently did a weekend trip to Victoria which was about a 80km trip one way. And then we rode our bikes around while we were there, so in total we probably did about 200km of biking last weekend. 

Anyone here riding mountain biking? (downhill, enduro, etc.)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” - Albert Einstein

I am currently 238lbs. I am 5'10. I am a bit ashamed tbh. Don't be put off though dude, riding is a great way to shed weight without the impact of running etc.

What you will want is a cro mo frameset. I would avoid carbon at that weight, and also cheap hi ten steel. It is softer than cro mo, so they over make it to make it as strong so it is much heavier also.

I would also start on a MTB, possibly with suspension, as that will take a lot of strain off of the frame and fork.

I've just been diagnosed with arthritis in both knees and my shoulder. Had been putting off going to the hospital for years but the pain is pretty bad now. So I am on a diet, and will be riding much more into the future to get as much weight off my joints as I can. I may need ops on them too, so yeah getting weight down is very important.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

12 hours ago, AlienALX said:

I am currently 238lbs. I am 5'10. I am a bit ashamed tbh. Don't be put off though dude, riding is a great way to shed weight without the impact of running etc.

What you will want is a cro mo frameset. I would avoid carbon at that weight, and also cheap hi ten steel. It is softer than cro mo, so they over make it to make it as strong so it is much heavier also.

I would also start on a MTB, possibly with suspension, as that will take a lot of strain off of the frame and fork.

I've just been diagnosed with arthritis in both knees and my shoulder. Had been putting off going to the hospital for years but the pain is pretty bad now. So I am on a diet, and will be riding much more into the future to get as much weight off my joints as I can. I may need ops on them too, so yeah getting weight down is very important.

That's why I always buy aluminium frames. You can dent and scratch it to hell and it just keeps going. Last thing I want is a scratch to destroy a bike!

What about bike shoes with clips? I imagine that might get the legs/knees in a proper riding position; that could help.

Saw biking amd immediately got all excited, til I realised it was crosscountry, and not mtb. Unfortunately, I've kinda fell out with biking due to an Achilles tendon injury sustained. Luckily, Covid lockdownss gave me a good and long rest on the tendon, which allowed it to recover quite quickly actually. Surgery also helped too. It's still nowhere near perfect, which is an absolute shame considering I'm only 13, and have already suffered an injury like this. I can't bike anymore as any pressure on it for more than 2 hours causes immense paain, and it then it just drops out. Soccer has been quite a good therapy though.
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

12 hours ago, Mr-G-Man said:

Saw biking amd immediately got all excited, til I realised it was crosscountry, and not mtb. Unfortunately, I've kinda fell out with biking due to an Achilles tendon injury sustained. Luckily, Covid lockdownss gave me a good and long rest on the tendon, which allowed it to recover quite quickly actually. Surgery also helped too. It's still nowhere near perfect, which is an absolute shame considering I'm only 13, and have already suffered an injury like this. I can't bike anymore as any pressure on it for more than 2 hours causes immense paain, and it then it just drops out. Soccer has been quite a good therapy though.

Man, if I get to a point where I can't cycle anymore, just put a bullet in me. (I'm 38 though)

126km in 5 hours 46 minutes today. Got home just after sunset. I thought I saw a beaver, but it turned out to be a duck once I got closer. It was stupid hot today (about 30C) and I went through 3L of gatorade and 4L of water throughout the ride.

Total this year: 1,231km

On 7/27/2022 at 6:14 PM, YellowJersey said:

What about bike shoes with clips? I imagine that might get the legs/knees in a proper riding position; that could help.

Absolutely YES.

I also keep repeating that, toe clips to keep the feet in the right place and allow load off the pedal on the upstroke.

YJ, sorry about no mention of saddle broken metal testing. I don't have the facilitates. About 15 years ago yes.

As I've got older I've put on a bit of weight and am now 157 lbs (71kg) and lost height so down to 6'. So I need to keep riding to try and keep fit.... with toe clips...

On 7/29/2022 at 1:05 AM, RollyShed said:

As I've got older I've put on a bit of weight and am now 157 lbs (71kg) and lost height so down to 6'. So I need to keep riding to try and keep fit.... with toe clips...

Damn, you make me feel self-conscious about my weight! I weigh about 90kg (200lbs) and am around 190cm.

101km today in 4 hours 26 minutes. Got home just as the sun was setting. I saw a snake today, though I don't know what kind; it was sunning itself on the bike path. I also saw a few deer with their antlers.

Total this year: 1,332km

100km today in 4 hours 46 minutes. A relatively short ride. A wasp stung me on the arm about 25km from home, that one still smarts. This was my first time trying to the "spongy wonder" seat I ordered (had to get a new seat post to actually mount it). It works well; it'll definitely take some getting used to, but I could see it being a long-term solution for my broken "The Seat." It's much better than the Hobson Easyseat II I bought and then returned. I'm still going to at least price out some custom work to get decent rail on The Seat, but if that fails, then the Spongy Wonder seat is good enough to replace it.

I also hit 60kmph going down a big hill where the speed limit was 50kmph. Breaking the speed limit on a bicycle is always satisfying.

Total this year: 1,594km.