The bicycle thread

YellowJersey

How can you ride 100km every day?

I can ride 20km and I feel fine during it, but next day my knees are really hurting.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

11 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I can ride 20km and I feel fine during it, but next day my knees are really hurting.

Well, I've been cycling since 1997. So probably just used to it by now? If your knees are hurting, you may need to adjust your seat height. You should be making an almost full leg extension on the down stroke. You could try getting your bike fitted (where the bike shop makes adjustments to make sure your seat post and handlebar positions are correct). You could also try cycling shoes with clips to make sure you're applying pressure to the right part of your foot (so your foot isn't too far back or forward on the pedal)?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

15 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Well, I've been cycling since 1997. So probably just used to it by now? If your knees are hurting, you may need to adjust your seat height. You should be making an almost full leg extension on the down stroke. You could try getting your bike fitted (where the bike shop makes adjustments to make sure your seat post and handlebar positions are correct). You could also try cycling shoes with clips to make sure you're applying pressure to the right part of your foot (so your foot isn't too far back or forward on the pedal)?

Okay. Getting a full leg extension is almost impossible for me, so this is probably where it comes from. Seat is already max height, but I have really long legs.

12 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I used to ride about 35km each way as a work commute.  

It sucked at the beginning but you build up your fitness.  You also need to eat and sleep enough.  I ate ALOT more than normal.

You also need to make sure you bike is properly sized and fitted to you and that you have good equipment/clothing for the ride.

3 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Okay. Getting a full leg extension is almost impossible for me, so this is probably where it comes from. Seat is already max height, but I have really long legs.

Sounds like your bike is too small for you. How tall are you?

3 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

I used to ride about 35km each way as a work commute.  

It sucked at the beginning but you build up your fitness.  You also need to eat and sleep enough.  I ate ALOT more than normal.

You also need to make sure you bike is properly sized and fitted to you and that you have good equipment/clothing for the ride.

When I was cycling across Canada, we ate 5 meals and burned 12,000 calories per day.

21 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

A wasp stung me on the arm about 25km from home, that one still smarts.

I also hit 60kmph going down a big hill where the speed limit was 50kmph. Breaking the speed limit on a bicycle is always satisfying.

Years ago I had a bee stung me inside the lower lip. I used to be really allergic to bee stings. Fortunately another bunch of riders turned up (it was touring cycle rally) and one had some antihistamine, first time I'd tried it and it worked brilliantly leaving only a small lump for a day or so.

We have a hill I used to come down on weekend rides. A bit windy so pass the cars on the way down and surprised looks from drivers.

Eating - it took a month of eating to get back to normal weight after 3,500 km up the east coast of USA, decades ago.

8 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

Sounds like your bike is too small for you. How tall are you?

When I was cycling across Canada, we ate 5 meals and burned 12,000 calories per day.

2m, using a 27" frame. 

On 8/8/2022 at 11:55 PM, Origami Cactus said:

2m, using a 27" frame. 

The biggest size I could find was a 28" frame. But I see your point.

117km today in 5 hours and 10 minutes. No wasp stings or cosmic anvils descended from on high.

Total this year: 1,711km.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:55 PM, Origami Cactus said:

2m, using a 27" frame. 

It looks like the only thing is to try and find a (extra) longer seat post. Do you have any good bike shops around?

With the right tools (a lathe and welder?) another tube could be spliced to the first one with an inner tube. I know someone who is very good at welding (has her own welder and lathe) but she is in the wrong country for you.

11 hours ago, RollyShed said:

It looks like the only thing is to try and find a (extra) longer seat post. Do you have any good bike shops around?

With the right tools (a lathe and welder?) another tube could be spliced to the first one with an inner tube. I know someone who is very good at welding (has her own welder and lathe) but she is in the wrong country for you.

yeah, i brought a "female" bike, and it has the seat a bit higher. Now my knees don't hurt, but it is sitting in the repair shop now because it was so broken.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:54 AM, Origami Cactus said:

yeah, i brought a "female" bike, and it has the seat a bit higher. Now my knees don't hurt, but it is sitting in the repair shop now because it was so broken.

Fingers crossed it works out for you.

Anyone have good tips on how to not get your bike stolen?

I'm considering making a bicycle my primary vehicle (only vehicle) but because I heard that decent ones start at several thousand, and they look a bit bigger than my pocket, I'm a bit concerned. 

When I'm home I can take it inside, but when I go elsewhere... 

Especially if there isn't a bike rack, is there anything I can do? 

I saw Taran looked at a folding bike but it doesn't seem practical and it's still enormous but now it's also a worse bike. 

28 minutes ago, fpo said:

I heard that decent ones start at several thousand

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952835ae0033fbc37a757

My "expensive" bicycle cost me $250 lmao

I of course don't live where you do though

How I secure my bicycle? I have this lock which I can just tie around a lamp post and through my cycle frame. The lamp post near my school is on a sidewalk and no one cares about a cycle or two there. May or may not be viable for you. I know that lock isn't the most secure one, but bicycle theft is rare here and people don't possess the tools necessary to actually even break this simple lock.

Edited by RockSolid1106
Added a link to the lock I have
On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

30 minutes ago, fpo said:

I heard that decent ones start at several thousand

if by "decent" you mean a racing bike, or a high end mountain bike...

if you want something that can get you from A to B safely you can easily spend a lot less. my own bycicle only cost me a couple hundred and it's just fine. maybe look into the used market too, people sell their bikes all the time even if there's nothing especially wrong with them and most age related problems can be easily fixed even by yourself.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

if by "decent" you mean a racing bike, or a high end mountain bike...

Ah yeah, my friend uses mountain bikes that are all super expensive and makes fun of "Walmart" bikes.

How I secure my bicycle? I have this lock which I can just tie around a lamp post and through my cycle frame. no one cares about a cycle or two there. .

The area I'm going to be living is supposedly a higher crime rate area with several gun related crimes in nearly every district for the past several weeks. 

Not really my choice but it's the one that is. 

I know that lock isn't the most secure one, but bicycle theft is rare here and people don't possess the tools necessary to actually even break this simple lock.

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

if you want something that can get you from A to B safely you can easily spend a lot less. my own bycicle only cost me a couple hundred 

12 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

May I ask which country you are both in? 

And what brand bike you have? 

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

I'm from Italy and I have a bike from a local brand, it's possible prices are a bit higher in other places but I doubt they're that different. Just looking on amazon.com I found a couple of bikes in a similar price range which look all right.

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

Ah yeah, my friend uses mountain bikes that are all super expensive and makes fun of "Walmart" bikes.

I'd make fun of him if he uses a heavy, expensive and uncomfortable mountain bike for city biking 😛 try out a couple of those "walmart" bikes, if you find them comfortable enough I'd just go for one of those. As a bonus they aren't worth picking a lock for.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, fpo said:

I'm not comfortable sharing my location, so sorry, can't tell you the country I'm in.

The bike I have is this one:

Btwin Rockrider 340 Mountain Bike - Yellow (2017) - Trail (all-mountain ...

Decathlon(manufacturer) seem to have discontinued this model so this is the only piece of information I have about this bike: https://www.findabike.co.uk/bike/btwin-rockrider-340-mountain-bike-yellow-rockrider-340-mountain-bike-yellow-2017

It costs 159 GBP($190) as the website lists but I remember it going over $220 after adding some necessary accessories.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

12 hours ago, fpo said:

Anyone have good tips on how to not get your bike stolen?

I'm considering making a bicycle my primary vehicle (only vehicle) but because I heard that decent ones start at several thousand, and they look a bit bigger than my pocket, I'm a bit concerned. 

When I'm home I can take it inside, but when I go elsewhere... 

Especially if there isn't a bike rack, is there anything I can do? 

I saw Taran looked at a folding bike but it doesn't seem practical and it's still enormous but now it's also a worse bike. 

If you want to be really careful, I recommend carrying two locks: a cable lock and a bar lock. Make sure the cable lock goes through the frame, both wheels, and the seat (wheels and seats can be easy to pop off and walk away with, especially if they're on quick releases). The bar lock would be secured through the frame and the rear wheel (the rear wheel is more expensive than the front). This is the bar lock I use: https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/kryptonite-new-u-new-york-lock-standard-307164-1.htm

100km today in 4 hours and 26 minutes. Just a "short" ride today.

Total this year: 1,811km

I have a small window where the stars (and hopefully weather) align to do my Icefields Parkway trip. It's a bit cut down from my original plans. Originally, I wanted to ride from my front door in Calgary to Jasper and back over about 10 days. I've had to cut it down to leaving from Lake Louise to Jasper back to Lake Louise; about 460km round-trip. I then intend to chip away at the 200km between Calgary and Lake Louise and back (400km round trip)  in early September as I can do those as day-trips. I'd probably go Calgary-Banff one day, Banff to Lake Louise to Canmore another, and then Canmore to Calgary. So, while it won't be in one go, I'll have done Calgary to Jasper and back this summer (fingers crossed!).

Here's a screenshot of my route. I'll get dropped off at Lake Louise Thursday morning. Depending on how I'm feeling, I might do a bit more on the last day and ride past Lake Louise to either Banff of Canmore as it's mostly downhill; and from there I'll get picked up and driven back to the city.

I've got one mountain pass per-day. I'm pretty excited.

Screenshot at 2022-08-19 16-58-12.png

So I just got a good bike. It was marked up a bit higher, but it's a really good one with gravel and road tires.

Anyone recommend safety lights? Yeah there's the crappy lights, but they didn't feel quality.

Any recommended brands? I'm looking at niterider but the red rear lights all look chinsy despite the USB C charger.

3 hours ago, fpo said:

So I just got a good bike. It was marked up a bit higher, but it's a really good one with gravel and road tires.

Anyone recommend safety lights? Yeah there's the crappy lights, but they didn't feel quality.

Any recommended brands? I'm looking at niterider but the red rear lights all look chinsy despite the USB C charger.

Lezyne, Exposure, LifeLine and Moon are all good bets.

I personally use a set of Exposure Trace lights if I have to ride at night.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Lezyne, Exposure, LifeLine and Moon are all good bets.

I personally use a set of Exposure Trace lights if I have to ride at night.

Thanks!
The exposure blaze looks pretty cool and is made out of metal.

I might check out a few more reviews for their models, but that's the one I looked at.

Thank you!

I rode my first bike for the first time today and this is an awesome bike.

Aside from chain lubrication, gloves, helmet, tire pump, is there anything else I need to take care of the bike?

26 minutes ago, fpo said:

I rode my first bike for the first time today and this is an awesome bike.

Aside from chain lubrication, gloves, helmet, tire pump, is there anything else I need to take care of the bike?

I'd get a multi-tool with a decent bit of a leverage, or a small set of good quality allen keys.

Something like a Crankbrothers F15 or Park Tool HXS-3 would work really well.

The Crankbrothers F15 would give you a full set of allen keys, spoke wrenches and a chain breaker for 50 dollars.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

10 hours ago, fpo said:

A bell.
A bike computer.