WHY do I pay Adobe $10K a YEAR!?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I don't suppose the newest older version of premiere can just be modified?

no adobe has put a lot of work into making new ones more multicore and use GPUs better.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

no adobe has put a lot of work into making new ones more multicore and use GPUs better.

What if Linus N friends pooled some cash to get Resolve or Even Blender fully functional as a NLE that could compete with premiere?

Wonder what the dev could would be, they should also make good CAD software while they're at it, as current CAD all sucks.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

What if Linus N friends pooled some cash to get Resolve or Even Blender fully functional as a NLE that could compete with premiere?

Wonder what the dev could would be, they should also make good CAD software while they're at it, as current CAD all sucks.

Resolve is close, it is paid for by Blackmagic design, who makes cameras, broadcasting and editing gear. I prefer it but they want more flexibility in configuring how it looks.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products

CAD is a whole other game.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

Resolve is close, it is paid for by Blackmagic design, who makes cameras, broadcasting and editing gear. I prefer it but they want more flexibility in configuring how it looks.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products

CAD is a whole other game.

CAD is easy, just give OpenSCAD a good GUI with a persistent plane, and the ability to shape via grid points and lines/shapes between them.

Or modify blender to do the same thing.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Should have publicly announced using other suites and then behind the scenes do what non professionals do to get adobe products 🤫

1 hour ago, Nystemy said:

In short.
Adobe isn't have a utterly stupendous price. But it could though likely be a bit more friendly....
Software as a service is though a model that works in some industries, and in others not.

It works fine in areas where one expects new features, performance optimizations, and tons of general bug fixes. Then paying a recurring cost is logical.

For stuff where "new features" isn't needed, performance optimization is already adequate (or could lead to worse performance for your specific system), and bugs isn't remotely a problem. Then a recurring cost for running the software is less logical.

In the case of Adobe's suite of products, then recurring costs for updates/improvements makes sense. For using what one already has on the other hand can be less so. Would be nice if one could simply say, "nah, I have what I need" and not pay more from that point on would be nice. Though, might need a heavier up front cost though to start with, Adobe though likely has a fairly large margin already.

Though, would be nice if Adobe made a "hobby" license/version, either with locked features, and/or a license restricting how much one can make (annually/monthly) with the software and still have it be a "hobby". This would then give people the opportunity to use the software without the fairly hefty economical burden it currently comes with. This being one reason I use DaVinci resolved myself, it has a free version that has a large portion of all the tools/features available. (and no restrictions in terms of income either to what I know.)

*it works where the industry leaders who uses these software are willing to pay ludicrous amount of money.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Affinity Photo and Designer is really good for the price. If you have the money, check them out!

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

"Software as a service" I know gets a bad rap in the industries where it's become prominent, but it's also allowed for a lot of leeway when it comes to software pricing. For example, Microsoft Office had a hefty price tag to it before Office 365 came along at $100 per year for 5 machines (with different tiers as well). And that Office 365 license provides everything that was part of Office Professional. And Microsoft has also largely moved toward the "Software as a service" model for their other professional suites like Visual Studio - though with VS they also have the community editions available which have enough functionality for most developers who aren't working on enterprise-level software. And from Microsoft's perspective, it's likely much better for their bottom line to have customers paying for a monthly or annual subscription than paying one price up front every however many years, especially if it brings more customers onboard. And that subscription also includes technical support, whereas that support would expire after a short time with the "buy once" model. So there are trade-offs either way.

Adobe's software suite is similar in that regard. I pay $10 for Lr CC with 1TB online storage. I've considered including Ps in that as well, but I don't mind exporting to 16-bit TIFF to use GIMP for the few places where I do need it. It's what I used to do with Nikon's software before I bit the bullet and went with Lr, as it was much easier to learn Lr than learn how to do the same in GIMP.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

1 hour ago, brandishwar said:

And that Office 365 license provides everything that was part of Office Professional. And Microsoft has also largely moved toward the "Software as a service" model for their other professional suites like Visual Studio - though with VS they also have the community editions available which have enough functionality for most developers who aren't working on enterprise-level software. And from Microsoft's perspective, it's likely much better for their bottom line to have customers paying for a monthly or annual subscription than paying one price up front every however many years, especially if it brings more customers onboard. And that subscription also includes technical support, whereas that support would expire after a short time with the "buy once" model. So there are trade-offs either way.

Office 365 is actually more expensive for the normal user. Normal users only use Office, Excel and powerpoint (rarely). If you only use those 3 most of the time then you would be spending (canadian) $237 vs just $169, reality is however depending on release dates and assuming you bought it on release you would actually get 5 years of use for $169 instead of the 3 current which makes 365 more expensive. Only reason why anyone should buy 365 is if they have a use for Access Publisher or Outlook for work, or if you have kids with individual computers, skype and onedrive are gimmicks as well a good way to force you into continuously buying their product depending what happens to your data over the free limit via policies.

Software as a service isn't about customers, it's all about bottom line.

For professionals, software-as-a-service makes complete sense. If you're running a business you factor in the licensing fees to your operating budget. You get regular upgrades and support and Adobe gets a predictable revenue stream. 

I just wish they wouldn't force the same on casual home users.

47 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Affinity Photo and Designer is really good for the price. If you have the money, check them out!

Yeah, they really are.

I'm not a fan of how they portrayed Affinity in this video. As someone who's mostly switched from Adobe to Affinity's full suite, there's absolutely nothing you can't accomplish in Affinity that you can in Adobe. I'd also argue that you can be more efficient with Affinity after you're familiar with it. It's so much more intuitive, especially Affinity Publisher.

THE ONLY shortfall with Affinity is the lack of a proper Lightroom alternative. That said, intake on Affinity photo mostly addresses the issue. I'm sure they'll have a standalone app soon enough.

Affinity only addresses graphic design (publisher/designer/photo), though. If you need tools for other media, you're out of luck.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

4 minutes ago, comander said:

The Bay Area is just stupid. 

The streets smell of urine, everything costs more and everyone is "progressive" (which I guess is just slang for wanting to live in a place that smells like urine).

Maybe that's just San Francisco though.  

Why do I live in the Bay area again... ohh... yeah... I'm paid more. 

no.

that is really only SF and parts of Oakland.

I'm only here cus it I live with my parents when not at college.

3 minutes ago, harryk said:

For professionals, software-as-a-service makes complete sense. If you're running a business you factor in the licensing fees to your operating budget. You get regular upgrades and support and Adobe gets a predictable revenue stream. 

I just wish they wouldn't force the same on casual home users.

no it doesn't. nothing says you need the newest features constantly, you just want bugs fixed. that is why LTS OS exist.

3 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

video editors only make 30$ an hour WTF, maybe it just cus I live somewhere expensive but 40+ is normal here

Prob some quick stats they yanks from just south of the border via google. I don't know who owns the Model X but here in Canada a X costs $120k base (might have been lower when bought) with a lease/finance price of 1800/1500 respectively. So... You need not worry most LTT staff get paid good money :) Except for Taran and Colton maybe, Taran gets his way with macros and allowed to keep his food box as payment, and Colton is there because he likes the abuse.

@Egg-Roll I wasn't saying LTT was under paying, just surprised so many editors who took whatever survey don't value their time that much.

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

@Egg-Roll I wasn't saying LTT was under paying, just surprised so many editors who took whatever survey don't value their time that much.

Well $30 isn't exactly cheap either, and depending where one lives $30 could be royalty too where a good chunk of the population makes min wage. Also there are tons of jobs for editing some might need no experience beyond using a computer and willing to train, those places you're technically a editor on payroll but likely get paid next to nothing.

A good example is Toronto: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/qvzqqq/can-you-afford-to-live-in-toronto

My simple math for owning a place is if you make less than the homes mortgage x10 years you've overbought. Now that article is 2017 let's assume the rate has gone to $80,000 average(I'm sure stats can has it but not bothering with that site today), which means the most a couple should buy a house for is 800,000+ down payment. However at current rates that still consumes $4000/month + everything else. So if one person was to make the average (basically $20/hr) while the other makes $30, that $30 makes a huge difference. Also unless you have a massive down on a house you can't touch one in a good place in Toronto for a 800k mortgage.

What people fail to realise is money isn't everything, sure it's great but if you had to choose a shity job at $40 a hour and lets say every $40 is like that or a fun amusing easy job that you enjoy for $30/hr. Which one would you go for assuming both offer equal benefits packages and travel was the same? If you value your sanity and life you'd choose the $30 because that extra $10/hr isn't worth shit if you're stressed cutting years off your life, unless you want to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMAToK0OG0w (old xbox commercial)

Was talking to coworkers about money, and I said if you make $70k a year (solo) and couldn't save for a rainy day like the pandemic we are in, you deserve what's coming to you, this goes just as well for couples making a combined amount of $70k. Take ones salary and plan to live off of that, not both, preferably to lower income one too. There are reasons why people suggest only 33% goes towards living.

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Well $30 isn't exactly cheap either, and depending where one lives $30 could be royalty too where a good chunk of the population makes min wage. Also there are tons of jobs for editing some might need no experience beyond using a computer and willing to train, those places you're technically a editor on payroll but likely get paid next to nothing.

A good example is Toronto: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/qvzqqq/can-you-afford-to-live-in-toronto

My simple math for owning a place is if you make less than the homes mortgage x10 years you've overbought. Now that article is 2017 let's assume the rate has gone to $80,000 average(I'm sure stats can has it but not bothering with that site today), which means the most a couple should buy a house for is 800,000+ down payment. However at current rates that still consumes $4000/month + everything else. So if one person was to make the average (basically $20/hr) while the other makes $30, that $30 makes a huge difference. Also unless you have a massive down on a house you can't touch one in a good place in Toronto for a 800k mortgage.

What people fail to realise is money isn't everything, sure it's great but if you had to choose a shity job at $40 a hour and lets say every $40 is like that or a fun amusing easy job that you enjoy for $30/hr. Which one would you go for assuming both offer equal benefits packages and travel was the same? If you value your sanity and life you'd choose the $30 because that extra $10/hr isn't worth shit if you're stressed cutting years off your life, unless you want to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMAToK0OG0w (old xbox commercial)

Was talking to coworkers about money, and I said if you make $70k a year (solo) and couldn't save for a rainy day like the pandemic we are in, you deserve what's coming to you, this goes just as well for couples making a combined amount of $70k. Take ones salary and plan to live off of that, not both, preferably to lower income one too. There are reasons why people suggest only 33% goes towards living.

It isn't cheap yeah but given it often takes a big upfront and a constant investment in storage you need to make it back.

yes it isn't. I would expect most people get into video production or editing going I'm going to make a boatload. you do it because you enjoy or love it.

I'm weird, I'd start with the 40 to save even more money at the start then switch to the 30 later in life.

Yeah saving lots is important but forgotten.

39 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

no it doesn't. nothing says you need the newest features constantly, you just want bugs fixed. that is why LTS OS exist.

I work with a lot of niche software products made by small companies or even individual developers. Many require license subscriptions. I'm happy to pay the license fees because I'm not paying for the software product. What I'm really paying is for that person to keep doing what they're doing: to continue making software for my industry. If I and the small number of people who use the software all bought a perpetual license the developer would have no income.

The same applies to Adobe, just on a much larger scale. The bulk of their revenue comes from license subscriptions. You're not paying for the software, you're paying the people who make the software.

Another way to think about it is from the perspective of a company. If Adobe didn't exist, the company would have to hire developers to create the software in house. This isn't a onetime cost. It's a recurring cost as with any other employee. And if the company is smart, they don't just fire the developers after the software is first completed. There will be bugs, new features needed etc. over time, so they must keep the developers on the payroll as long as they need to use the software.

It isn't cheap yeah but given it often takes a big upfront and a constant investment in storage you need to make it back.

yes it isn't. I would expect most people get into video production or editing going I'm going to make a boatload. you do it because you enjoy or love it.

I'm weird, I'd start with the 40 to save even more money at the start then switch to the 30 later in life.

Yeah saving lots is important but forgotten.

No doubt, esp if you are a data hoarder like Lunis (You know what I give up I can't spell today...)

It's one reason why I couldn't justify Adobe, as much as I like it, Da Vinci is a free "good enough" for me esp since I make no money off of it. I would love that to change and maybe when this pandemic is over with I'll actually try, but till then. I love editing videos I love photography, I equally like what I do at work, would I give up my day job if either of the first take off? Well maybe, really depends on job stability and stress.

You're not weird, you are smart. If you at a young age can handle the BS of a $40 job for say 10 years then go to the relaxing $30 job stress free for the rest of your working career you'll be a healthy person theoretically for the rest of your life.

Hilariously life doesn't want me to save... I started saving again back in January, if this pandemic keeps going on for too long I might need to start dipping back into said savings :( I do manage to put enough in still to qualify for the "bonus" interest however with lots of sacrifices.

1 hour ago, harryk said:

I work with a lot of niche software products made by small companies or even individual developers. Many require license subscriptions. I'm happy to pay the license fees because I'm not paying for the software product. What I'm really paying is for that person to keep doing what they're doing: to continue making software for my industry. If I and the small number of people who use the software all bought a perpetual license the developer would have no income.

The same applies to Adobe, just on a much larger scale. The bulk of their revenue comes from license subscriptions. You're not paying for the software, you're paying the people who make the software.

Another way to think about it is from the perspective of a company. If Adobe didn't exist, the company would have to hire developers to create the software in house. This isn't a onetime cost. It's a recurring cost as with any other employee. And if the company is smart, they don't just fire the developers after the software is first completed. There will be bugs, new features needed etc. over time, so they must keep the developers on the payroll as long as they need to use the software.

That's a load of bull, if a license back 10 years ago cost the same as it would now but they decided to go subscription based, it's not because they are not making enough money it's because they want more money for profits. HD Sentinel still only does fee based life software, so do game makers sure publishers are doing monthly subscriptions but in reality if you want a massive library and play a new game every week that is prob your best option. Most people are not like that however.

Ha no... Subscription was a money making scheme not to break even. That is why Adobe like many other publishers push software versions and charge a small fee for upgrades. The only reason why Adobe went sub is because they saw more money, you didn't get more, well you got more programs "possibly" but what you did get more of was cost, esp if that one program you needed was in the tier up from what would have been cheaper for you as a creator. Not to mention subscription servers are not tax deductible (or where not when Adobe made the change) while software was, which made life harder for smaller companies.

Why would you think like that? there was movie maker the Apple version (I think) among others, and you clearly don't understand how movie making in the past was done and in some cases still is with film. Editors where not always behind computers, they didn't always have Adobe. If Adobe vanished tomorrow people would make a switch and move on with life because there are choices, better choices in some cases, but choices that are not able to be made because everyone else uses Adobe.

39 minutes ago, harryk said:

well they would just not constantly maybe every 2 years when there is a major change or for better support.

Given how little work adobe seems to put into some of their apps for the longest time I don't care.

Adobe can go away tomorrow and I wouldn't cry.

Subscription just lets them be lazy and not manage money smart. They make bank from it

26 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

No doubt, esp if you are a data hoarder like Lunis (You know what I give up I can't spell today...)

It's one reason why I couldn't justify Adobe, as much as I like it, Da Vinci is a free "good enough" for me esp since I make no money off of it. I would love that to change and maybe when this pandemic is over with I'll actually try, but till then. I love editing videos I love photography, I equally like what I do at work, would I give up my day job if either of the first take off? Well maybe, really depends on job stability and stress.

You're not weird, you are smart. If you at a young age can handle the BS of a $40 job for say 10 years then go to the relaxing $30 job stress free for the rest of your working career you'll be a healthy person theoretically for the rest of your life.

Hilariously life doesn't want me to save... I started saving again back in January, if this pandemic keeps going on for too long I might need to start dipping back into said savings :( I do manage to put enough in still to qualify for the "bonus" interest however with lots of sacrifices.

oh yeah.

Film, edit and take as many pictures as you can. I've gotten back into my personal channel just cus it is fun. There is never any guarantee in contract work, I've accepted that ether me or my GF will have to have a normal day job unless some things change in the US. 

Eh I'm weird and sometimes smart.

I can't save for the life of me right now but given I want to drop 3K+ on some new video gear I'm going to need to. God I'd love a few big contracts during the summer so I can make bank.

10:12 - that's not an excuse. Save/export to other file format when necessary which I'm assuming it ain't THAT often as you make it sound.

11:13 - and THAT'S what I would like to have seen on the Premiere vs Final Cut video! How much time do you lose with crashes that DO NOT HAPPEN ON A MAC?! Not to mention it might go faster to ingest and export and so on…

Film, edit and take as many pictures as you can. I've gotten back into my personal channel just cus it is fun. There is never any guarantee in contract work, I've accepted that ether me or my GF will have to have a normal day job unless some things change in the US. 

Eh I'm weird and sometimes smart.

I can't save for the life of me right now but given I want to drop 3K+ on some new video gear I'm going to need to. God I'd love a few big contracts during the summer so I can make bank.

Yea contract work kinda sucks in that sense. If you are good at it tho one job can land a nice bonus towards your monthly expenses.

Your weird has made your choices smart.

Right now I just want HDDs to drop in price, sadly everyone has gone up, all I need is 1 10TB drive (prefer 2) guess worst case I can buy 1 Seagate... I technically have the money to pour into the server but I'm reluctant too for obvious reasons. After that I might get a VR set and maybe a new lens or 2 for my RP (EF lens not RF, price isn't justifiable), but all this is based on employment during the pandemic, and my income has been slashed and left uncertain, outlook looks good based on words, but gov actions and numbers of infected state otherwise.

1 hour ago, caincha said:

11:13 - and THAT'S what I would like to have seen on the Premiere vs Final Cut video! How much time do you lose with crashes that DO NOT HAPPEN ON A MAC?! Not to mention it might go faster to ingest and export and so on…

No no no don't say that... You will make the editors at LMG look lazy...

Learn-to-embrace-change-Change-managemen

source.gif

16 minutes ago, caincha said:

Guess what, it can happen on mac. Resolve has 0 issues crashing on windows or Mac.

only with background render on.

Oh noes. I bring in well over $1,000,000/yr and I have to pay $10k/yr to use the software that literally makes us most of that money 😢

Such woes.

5 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I refused to use it even in school when it was paid for. I used FCPX at school or Resolve at home.

Resolve does love GPU memory that is why the Vega VII is so strong in it.

I'm a 2 man band, Me and my GF with maybe a friend stepping in as a camera op if one of us can't make it.\

video editors only make 30$ an hour WTF, maybe it just cus I live somewhere expensive but 40+ is normal here

It's an average over the whole country. So really, $40 would likely be on the low end of where you live.

5 hours ago, Quadrum said:

Professional companies tend to overpay for everything, it’s the way the market is. Gonna go watch the video now, but the title actually isn’t that ludicrous. I do music production, a full studio might spend 10s of thousands on software alone. Not saying it’s good, I’m saying it’s how it is.

Paying $120/editor/month when you're making likely $2m+/yr really isn't that bad.

5 hours ago, SenKa said:

I assume the apple route wasnt mentioned because LMG doesn't use Apple workstations for editing, but atleast in my experience as a "one man band" editor, FCPX + Affinity Photo does everything I need to do for my professional and personal editing. Though admittedly, I do switch from FCPX to Resolve and back quite a bit. My productivity between the two is roughly equal, and I cant say i have a preference. 

For YouTube? Or videos for what?
I have a friend who's thinking about getting into YouTube and stuff, and I'm still deciding whether to build her a PC, or buy her a MBP.

I think I'm leaning more towards MBP, as I picture it being a little easier to use, no?

2 hours ago, comander said:

The Bay Area is just stupid. 

The streets smell of urine, everything costs more and everyone is "progressive" (which I guess is just slang for wanting to live in a place that smells like urine).

Maybe that's just San Francisco though.  

Why do I live in the Bay area again... ohh... yeah... I'm paid more. 

Paid more, but do you actually make more? Probably not. Unless you still live at home, or with many, many roommates.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

For YouTube? Or videos for what?
I have a friend who's thinking about getting into YouTube and stuff, and I'm still deciding whether to build her a PC, or buy her a MBP.

I think I'm leaning more towards MBP, as I picture it being a little easier to use, no?

MBP is MUCH easier to use IMO. The majority of what I do could be uploaded on YT, though it is more prerecorded newscasting type stuff. I would 100% reccomend something like a 14" MBP (if its any good when it comes out), or a 16" if you have dough to spend. The current 13" isnt worth much salt, especially with a refresh any week now and the 14" in a couple months.

FCPX is much more newbie friendly than DaVinci or Premier in my opinion, coming from a certification in FCPX and Premier and lots of years of using DaVinci,

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは