WHY do I pay Adobe $10K a YEAR!?

On 11/17/2021 at 7:01 PM, Kilrah said:

That is supposing you manage to get people to actually agree that the required changes are what they should be doing.

Community driven is nice and stuff, but indeed getting a large userbase to agree on something...

Just to illustrate (no pun intended) why I'd say paying Adobe 10k a year is "better": I'm trying to make a nice image for cover use. GIMP was the only thing I have on hand that'll allow me to import a FITS file, but my god have I been ready to murder it the past hours to try and do what I want. Then I gave up, simply used it to import what I needed, exported it as PSD and went to Affinity Photo. It's not Adobe, but in 30 minutes I'm 90% of the way there of how I want it. I don't know why, but I hardly ever find an open source alternative, free or not, that manages to get these details regarding workflow down. Inkscape, GIMP, they all work fine for small quick stuff but for serious work they just don't do it for me.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB