BOINC Pentathlon 2020

Just now, ffbr said:

What does the quorum means for the projects?

Number of results returned for the same task required to validate and also earn point. Quorum 1 means you don't have to cross validate with anyone else so work done is credit received immediately. Greater than 1 means you have to wait for that many to run and return their result for it to validate and for you to get credit. Quorum of greater than 1 tends to be not great for competition but can't always be avoided.

So I have been experimenting with a P100 and the results appears quite disapointing. I am currently sitting at around 7-8 min per task on numbers.

I wonder if the vcpu that comes with the instance is not starving the card.

BOINC - F@H

17 minutes ago, ffbr said:

So I have been experimenting with a P100 and the results appears quite disapointing. I am currently sitting at around 7-8 min per task on numbers.

I wonder if the vcpu that comes with the instance is not starving the card.

You got any stats on how much credits you get for a completed job or you still holding them all back for tomorrow?

30 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You got any stats on how much credits you get for a completed job or you still holding them all back for tomorrow?

I have 20 or so that escaped my bunkering (even at 0.01kos ...) before I blocked per time of day too.

image.png.8823d19da598f69ad0d820b9e762e894.png

BOINC - F@H

3 hours ago, ffbr said:

Wonder if BOINC run on the WSL. Anyone have tried it?

I imagine it would but if you can spare the computer you're much better off running GNU/Linux native.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I imagine it would but if you can spare the computer you're much better off running GNU/Linux native.

Unfortunately I cannot on the laptops. Strict company policy (don't get me started on that...) to keep windows as the main OS led me to have to work with the WSL. Have to say that I am quite impressed of the results for most of the time.

BOINC - F@H

14 minutes ago, ffbr said:

Unfortunately I cannot on the laptops. Strict company policy (don't get me started on that...) to keep windows as the main OS led me to have to work with the WSL. Have to say that I am quite impressed of the results for most of the time.

You can try it. It seems with WSL2 they omitted the compatibility layer in substitution for the actual Linux Kernel so possibly the performance might not be hindered by running on Windows. You'll have to try this out for us.

Is there a way in Boinc Manager to set individual project to use only cpu's or gpu's? 

Edit:

GPU missing, Ready to start

Anyone know how to fix this?

Hey, I tried creating an account with two different emails (Yahoo! and Gmail) both from Boinc Manager and at https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/create_account_form.php, but it said "Must enter a valid 'name@domain' email", but they are both valid. I even tried without the .com, but nothing worked. I tried to see if I already created an account, but it said no account was associated with those addresses. Can anybody help?

1 hour ago, Shlouski said:

Is there a way in Boinc Manager to set individual project to use only cpu's or gpu's? 

Edit:

I think through setting the web preferences on the project site to only send you CPU work or GPU work you can run projects on a CPU/GPU preference basis.

Check the logs. Does it recognise your GPU as a OpenCL/OpenGL device or does it say no GPUs available? The cause is usually driver related. What OS are you running?

Just an FYI I ended up trying 2 tasks per gpu on numberfields, and it seems to work fine. I won't know for sure until I submit the work, but seems to run fine and despite running 2 tasks at once it didn't affect times much, so overall it should be faster. I did this on 2060 super and 2080 ti. The 2080 ti may be able to handle 3 per gpu, but utilization is high enough and that starts eating up threads pretty quick, since each task still gets 1 cpu thread. config info below for anyone that might want to try. you can create in notepad and save in the project subfolder in Boinc folder under Windows ProgramData folder. Example file path     C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\numberfields.asu.edu_NumberFields

app_config.xml to improve the GPU load (example for 2 WUs per GPU, one CPU core should be kept free for each WU):

Code:

Not in BOINC Manager, I don't think, no. However, individual computing preferences can be tweaked on each project's website, under "Your Account". Also, some projects are CPU-only, like Rosetta@home.

Computing Preferences:

Spoiler

1064054457_BOINC-ComputingPreferences1.png.429c56488ae7c3c7dbd4092f9eb6ed2d.png

Screenshot above specifically taken from Rosetta@home's site, but the layout should be the same for each BOINC project.

428497847_BOINC-ComputingPreferences2.png.f94541b082c6696f57ba97b2064b98f2.png

Screenshot taken from SETI@home's site, because they offer both CPU and GPU tasks. I'm guessing that if you'd like SETI@home to be GPU-only, you could set the CPU usage limit to 0%. I'm not sure whether this will prevent you from being assigned CPU-related tasks, however.

Seems to be an NVIDIA driver issue thanks to Windows 10 updates not downloading OpenCL things. Try installing the latest NVIDIA drivers from their website.

SourceGPU Missing on BOINC forums, [WIN 10] GPU Missing on SETI@home forums.

54 minutes ago, benji2602 said:

Hey, I tried creating an account with two different emails (Yahoo! and Gmail) both from Boinc Manager and at https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/create_account_form.php, but it said "Must enter a valid 'name@domain' email", but they are both valid. I even tried without the .com, but nothing worked. I tried to see if I already created an account, but it said no account was associated with those addresses. Can anybody help?

If BOINC Manager and Rosetta@home's site both don't work, try signing up for the project with BAM! on BOINCstats.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

53 minutes ago, benji2602 said:

Try making the account on the project website instead. You have to manually join the LinusTechTips_Team anyways which I don't believe can be done via the boinc manager.

Edit: I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to read apparently.

I used a gmail and it worked fine. Do you have caps lock on perhaps? :D Are you holding shift when you type your email?

5/4/2020 6:33:28 PM |  | Remote desktop in use; disabling GPU tasks

Well that sucks...……….

3 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

5/4/2020 6:33:28 PM |  | Remote desktop in use; disabling GPU tasks

Well that sucks...……….

Well there's your problem. I'm going to guess the remote client uses GPU acceleration to render the graphics. You'd have a terrible time if the GPU was under load.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Well there's your problem. I'm going to guess the remote client uses GPU acceleration to render the graphics. You'd have a terrible time if the GPU was under load.

F@H didn't mind or cause me any issues, well at least that problem is solved, but its a pain as some of my pc's don't have monitors. 

It seems numberfields doesn't utilize all of the gpu, most are sitting around 50% usage, is there any way to boost usage?

23 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I used a gmail and it worked fine. Do you have caps lock on perhaps? :D Are you holding shift when you type your email?

No I didn't, I made sure that the email was valid, and it wasn't capitalized. I tried a few times and it didn't work.

28 minutes ago, Eschew said:

If BOINC Manager and Rosetta@home's site both don't work, try signing up for the project with BAM! on BOINCstats.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried and nothing happened when I hit register, and I didn't get any emails either. It might be the 2 URL fields. What is supposed to go in those?

9 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

but its a pain as some of my pc's don't have monitors. 

The BOINC Manager can be setup to connect to remote clients so you don't have to bounce around with a remote desktop client. On Debian distros like Ubuntu/Mint/PopOS you can use the command:

echo '192.168.#.#' >> /var/lib/boinc-client/remote_hosts.cfg

Replace #.# with the Static IP of the machine that will request connections to the boinc-client instances.

I never got this working on Windows but This WiKi Article should help.

14 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

It seems numberfields doesn't utilize all of the gpu, most are sitting around 50% usage, is there any way to boost usage?

Check your local or webpage preferences. You can usually set max utilization. Often during use of the computer it may tone down the usage unless you tell it otherwise.

6 minutes ago, benji2602 said:

No I didn't, I made sure that the email was valid, and it wasn't capitalized. I tried a few times and it didn't work.

Did you try making your account on another computer then logging in on this machine?

Not an ideal workaround but a possible workaround none-the-less.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a UPS, the APC one my folding system was on went down after several years of faithful service. Charger fault so not worth recovering.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you try making your account on another computer then logging in on this machine?

Just tried it, it didn't work.

7 minutes ago, wings2004 said:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a UPS, the APC one my folding system was on went down after several years of faithful service. Charger fault so not worth recovering.

What's your preference?

• Square Wave
  • Simulated Sine Wave
  • Pure Sine Wave?

Do you need AC-DC to DC-AC conversion or is typical cut-over fine?

What output capacity do you require? (Watts)

Budget?

3 minutes ago, benji2602 said:

Just tried it, it didn't work.

I have no idea then. What happens if you type in a valid email that doesn't exist?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

What's your preference?

• Square Wave
  • Simulated Sine Wave
  • Pure Sine Wave?

Do you need AC-DC to DC-AC conversion or is typical cut-over fine?

Budget?

Forgot where I was asking. I'm a hacker in my house and this is powering my desktop, work from home laptop setup, and peripherals. I don't think I've got an opinion on any of those other than standard NEMA 5-15 plug. Old system was 1300 VA and had a few switched surge only outlets which was really nice for shutting down monitors when not in use but otherwise I'm not picky. I would say cut-over is fine. 

Budget, I want to stay under 300 if possible. The APC I had lasted about 10 years with just battery changes so I'm inclined to go that route since it was pretty damn reliable but it's failure mode was rather... disappointing.

30 minutes ago, benji2602 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried and nothing happened when I hit register, and I didn't get any emails either. It might be the 2 URL fields. What is supposed to go in those?

You can ignore the URL fields, just fill in your username, email address, and password:

Spoiler

1189088382_BOINCstats-Register.png.42e2782580850c505863d0298674479e.png

1. Does your email address contain special characters, and have you checked your email's junk folder?
  2. Are you using a VPN, by any chance?
  3. Is your email listed in a spammer's database? (Check on Stop Forum Spam.)

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)