BOINC Pentathlon 2020

Oops, caught me sleeping on the job and I only just remembered this was a thing. In process of firing up crunchers now. On a couple systems I tried so far I can't connect to Rosetta, was there a URL change or are their servers struggling under the load? It was working as recently as some days ago. At least I'm able to get Javelin work...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Damn just found out my r9 280x has over a 100 tasks waiting, this is made even worse by the ram being maxed out, so the gpu tasks aren't even running atm.

2 ram sticks in this 4 slot board, guess I will rummage through my ram box and find some more to pop in, hope mixed ram play nicely together. 

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Rosetta, was there a URL change or are their servers struggling under the load?

Both, make sure you change the URL to https.

2 hours ago, Eschew said:

207313781_BOINC-OOF.thumb.png.80fb2703e70ab2990ed637a00d6ff18e.png

Oh, how fleeting the taste of glory...

May we get an oeuf oof in chat? 🤣

Reveal hidden contents

As I was writing up this post:

1574689309_BOINC-OOF2.thumb.png.0a7068f499ed0d0520f15f673788bc0e.png

SETI.Germany, WDYM we lost points?! 😤

RIGGED, I SAY.

Reveal hidden contents

JK, JK. Here's how points are allocated, Rules - Awarded Points, for the curious.

TLDR: Points per discipline/event are capped at 100, and overall standings for each team take all 5 disciplines into account (maximum score of 500, say, if a team beats the competition in all 5 events). The Pentathlon seems to be set up so that dedicating your entire team towards one event isn't going do you much good if you tank the rest.

Oof 😱

BOINC - F@H

27 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

For whatever reason my 1080 and 2070 machine have 2 running tasks and 50+ gpu tasks waiting to start, but then my 2080s machine has 2 running and none waiting to start, it seems to get a new job on completion.

Dunno if my machines can finish all those tasks today, so I have set them to no new tasks.

Also I had no idea I would need to change to https:// Rosetta@home, so thx for bringing it up...……………..I miss F@H, so much simpler 😄

My 2070 eat about on task every 7-9min 

BOINC - F@H

Update on ressources use on my end:

- maintaining 32 cores on Rosetta

- one 2070 for numbers (my amd cards are slower than my CPU so I stopped them, better use the CPU)

- 4 T4 on numbers

- starting a 32 core epyc server on the city run (don't remember the name)

Unfortunately (or not) I have to take the t4 out tonight. We have a pretty cool project to run. Basically a clustering study to assess local testing capabilities for covid19.

If strategically @Ithanul think I should switch project let me know.

BOINC - F@H

24 minutes ago, ffbr said:

My 2070 eat about on task every 7-9min 

Actually my 2070 is doing 2 tasks in a little less than that, but it's way more than 50 tasks waiting, more like 100, and it keeps adding more. Hopefully it can finish them and I can add more if needed.

Just finishing off my last Numbers tasks, 55. May not have been the best use of CPU time but I'm hoping this throw is useful and more people join in the next throws with more GPUs.

Also if another GPU event comes and is during the second throw I think it might be a good idea not to do it and just assess what others do and put the GPUs on to what ever that event is. Right now it doesn't really matter as it's the only GPU event running so you can just leave boinc smashing out Number tasks and bunker them during the between days.

Now that my coffee has gone down, I realised I ran the wrong project on some systems. For some reason I thought NFS = NumberFields until I saw on some systems they were separate lines. Doh! On systems where I only had NFS I had selected that, but now corrected.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, porina said:

Now that my coffee has gone down, I realised I ran the wrong project on some systems. For some reason I thought NFS = NumberFields until I saw on some systems they were separate lines. Doh! On systems where I only had NFS I had selected that, but now corrected.

Nice. NFS was one of last year's projects.

12 hours ago, SwedishNinja said:

Just in time for the folding to start!

Spoiler

foldingshirt..png

Got mine in the mail too last night but haven't had time to even open it. I did confirm the QR code works though ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

Finally got 5min to launch it, its beautiful:

image.png.50c3ad268227b0d45975abbb282e30f4.png

Not certain I provision enough disk space ... 😬

BOINC - F@H

I need to remove hugepages out of my RAM configuration. It cuts BOINCs usable capacity in half. I've maxed out my swap memory and the system is crawling.

image.thumb.png.2a45d8ca209aa7930b77c7bd337061f5.png

I would like to know what they have to eat those cows :D... 

Our results on javlin are not so good. Seems we did not manage to convert the movement from f@h 😕

BOINC - F@H

45 minutes ago, ffbr said:

image.thumb.png.2a45d8ca209aa7930b77c7bd337061f5.png

I would like to know what they have to eat those cows :D... 

Our results on javlin are not so good. Seems we did not manage to convert the movement from f@h 😕

dutch power cows is actually the team i used to fold for. seems like i got beat by my own guys this time.

4 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

dutch power cows is actually the team i used to fold for. seems like i got beat by my own guys this time.

Just noticed the color of the bird ! Well hello from the north 😁

BOINC - F@H

don't actually know what project i need to be working on

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

8 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

don't actually know what project i need to be working on

When in doubt, crunch the Marathon (Rosetta@Home).

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When in doubt, crunch the Marathon (Rosetta@Home).

And if graphic card are available crunch javlin (numbers@home) on them. bunkering in between throws

BOINC - F@H

My tactic is to have my best cpu's on the marathon leaving the minimum resources nessisary for the gpu's to work. On my pc's with weak cpu's I focus on gpu tasks, ofc only when a gpu supported project is active, switching back to the cpu's for the marathon once the project is over. As this is my first time using boinc and participating in this competition my tactic might not be the best.

I haven't been bunkering as it seems a little unsportsmanlike to me, but I dont mind others doing it as it's for a good cause.

I have been looking at the numbers for numbers@home for the fun. 

My GPUs (T4 and 2070) average at 6min per task so one system can run approximately 10 tasks per hour. 
On average one task gave me 65points. 

So if I take the current winning team, over the last 12hours they produced about 92795 points/hours, or 1428tasks/h.

Which represent 143GPUs. 

For our team we have about 35 GPUs equivalent.

BOINC - F@H

Since this is my first Pentathlon, I only have my main boinc manager with all the projects. But now I see why I would want many instances even on the same computer. I want to bunker Universe while reporting the NumbersField.. this isn't really possible as the settings are global.  For next year Ill have one instance of Boinc for each event.

I also realize my contribution from my single machine is only a fraction of the total. But hey, if we beat another team by just a few points, those were my points! :)

Keep on folding!

OK I am REALLY liking Pritunl. It's enabling me to be productive while I slack-off at work by getting all my servers and workstations switched over to Rosetta & HTTPS at my house without me being there. All that's left is to disable Hugepages on my desktop so I can give Rosetta The Glutton double the RAM. Get rid of these damn Waiting for Memory notifications.

Hope someone has got a stockpile of Numbers they haven't told anyone about, could use that right about now lol