Whats been your WORST computer related purchase?

quickhakker

This can be anything from an RGB ssd to a case and all the silly little peripherals inbetween (controllers, adapters, docks all count)

I rarely buy bad stuff, I just usually waaaaay overpay for it.

That being said, I paid just over 100 CAD for a 5870 and exactly 300 CAD on an old Dell with an i5-750, 6GB of RAM, and a dying hard drive.

At least I've moved on from overpaying on hardware. Now I just do it for old-ass keyboards.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Corsair SP-120

Served me well but only for a year or two, it was pretty useless when I tried to use it for a case fan when I built a new PC without an AIO. I didn’t feel I got the full value out of the purchase.

It was way too noisy in the new configuration too as it was running full blast, now I have a PWM Noctua 140mm Redux and the noise difference is night and day as the fan speed is greatly reduced as well as moving up to a 140mm.

Ive spend £10 a couple of times or so on other cooling ideas but they were just for fun so didn’t mind if they didn’t work, various in case fans and extra exhausts, yeah they don’t work and are too noisy.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Just now, GoldenLag said:

both of my powersupplies, or the 10 sata cables i ordered. 

Go look through your local uni's ewaste bin(s). In just one bin I found a little over two dozen SATA cables. I've got way too many now lmao

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

In my oppinion it would be the Molex to 6-pin PCIe power adapters. Yes, they are cheap, but they break so easily. And then they're not so cheap when they cost you a GPU because it shorted itself. 
NEVER BUY THESE!!!

Billedresultat for molex to 6 pin

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

In my oppinion it would be the Molex to 6-pin PCIe power adapters. Yes, they are cheap, but they break so easily. And then they're not so cheap when they cost you a GPU because it shorted itself. 
NEVER BUY THESE!!!

Billedresultat for molex to 6 pin

I personally make it a rule to never buy adapters full stop, cause thats another point of failier

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Go look through your local uni's ewaste bin(s). In just one bin I found a little over two dozen SATA cables. I've got way too many now lmao

you say that, but the issue is that it was Sata on one end. esata on the other. 

The worst thing I've ever bought was the Corsair K55. I thought it was mechanical (although for a membrane keyboard it's pretty nice)

Made a PC for a friend, and later he wanted to add a sata hard drive.

Couldn't find what i'd done with the bag of modular PSU cables so had to buy a whole new PSU for one SATA connector block.

I did eventually find it and sold the PSU on eBay later. Annoying that there are no easily available replacement cables, but what can you do? 

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

I was generally lucky with hardware.

I'd say the worst experience was buying a S3 Savage 3D video card. Had it for a around one week playing games like Half-Life and Dune 2000 until the bios got corrupted and then card only did 2D.

Got upgraded for free by the shop owner to a S3 Savage 4 and that also crapped up a couple weeks later... same bios issues.

Owner replaced it at his cost (was the equivalent of around 30$ more these days)  with a nVidia Vanta which was around 10-20% more powerful and more stable.

What else failed on me... cheap power supplies that came with the case... but I was well aware I was dealing with a 25-30$ cases with power supply, so obviously not quality psu.

Worst of all time, for me, as I've said it a few other times on this forum...

Buying the AMD phenom x4 965 CPU and attempting to build a computer around it, because I previously was on AMD and it worked great for me (Athlon XP 3200+).

But, this piece of shit NEVER worked properly. It would always end up crashing one way or another after a while, always with "hyper transport sync floor error".

Changed every God damn parts in that system to troubleshoot/fix it, cost me hundreds of dollars, nope, couldn't fix the error regardless of the motherboard, ram or even new CPU with a different revision/stepping I was using.

After nearly 6 month of pure shit from AMD, I said to myself "fuck it". Sold everything that couldn't be reused (motherboards and CPUs) and went with the Intel Core i7 875k.... Everything worked perfectly from day one in 2010, until I got my new PC last year.

So lets just say, I was more than reticent when I decided to give AMD another shot, but so far so good, zero issues yet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I bought a hard drive. for my laptop. as my only storage. in 2018.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

ATI Radeon X800 VE AIW AGP, I was wrong to buy this graphic card for to play... It was cheap but her performance was worst... Even with 1280x1024 with setting high, the FPS was low... I compared it with my Radeon 9800XT previous (RIP) who was better.

And I still have my X800 VE AIW AGP, she's on my shelf with my other old items :D

Edited by X-System

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

1 hour ago, ObsidianAura said:

Made a PC for a friend, and later he wanted to add a sata hard drive.

Couldn't find what i'd done with the bag of modular PSU cables so had to buy a whole new PSU for one SATA connector block.

I did eventually find it and sold the PSU on eBay later. Annoying that there are no easily available replacement cables, but what can you do? 

they sell spliter and extention sata cables. I had to buy one last week

Just now, tophercrunch said:

they sell spliter and extention sata cables. I had to buy one last week

The trouble was, the PC I built only had an m.2 drive. So there wasn't even a single SATA cable to extend off of or split sadly. It was literally the mobo cables and gpu in there (nice and tidy though!)

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

12 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

The trouble was, the PC I built only had an m.2 drive. So there wasn't even a single SATA cable to extend off of or split sadly. It was literally the mobo cables and gpu in there (nice and tidy though!)

oh, ok. That sucks ! 

In recent times a 32" 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor, 32gb 3200 ram and a WD 5tb HDD.

I bought the 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz ram because it was cheap and I wanted to see if any of my games used it. Non did. The upside was that I used the old 8gb stick on a new build.

I got the monitor on a Black Friday sale in 2018.  I put it beside my 32" 4k monitor and it did not look good. The text looked bad compared to the 4k monitor. In testing my games I realized non really benefited from high refresh rate over high resolution.  Within about a week I gave it to my Son how loved it.

In 2016 my 1tb WD Raptor(10,000 rpm HDD) was dieing and I needed a replacement. I read that the new large WD Black drives were fast so I bought one(5tb). Even though my vanilla games ran fine my modded games stuttered like crazy. The same day I ordered a 1tb SSD and everything ran smooth on it. My Son got the 5tb Black for his school work.   

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

7 minutes ago, jones177 said:

In recent times a 32" 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor, 32gb 3200 ram and a WD 5tb HDD.

I bought the 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz ram because it was cheap and I wanted to see if any of my games used it. Non did. The upside was that I used the old 8gb stick on a new build.

I got the monitor on a Black Friday sale in 2018.  I put it beside my 32" 4k monitor and it did not look good. The text looked bad compared to the 4k monitor. In testing my games I realized non really benefited from high refresh rate over high resolution.  Within about a week I gave it to my Son how loved it.

In 2016 my 1tb WD Raptor(10,000 rpm HDD) was dieing and I needed a replacement. I read that the new large WD Black drives were fast so I bought one(5tb). Even though my vanilla games ran fine my modded games stuttered like crazy. The same day I ordered a 1tb SSD and everything ran smooth on it. My Son got the 5tb Black for his school work.   

Sounds like your Son is happy with your purchases :D

I have a nice 32 inch Agon monitor and Lightsync logitech speakers and G502 mouse + charging mousepad and all kinds of goodies. All of which sit unused since my daughter was born. I only really get to play when she's asleep at 19:00 so i'm downstairs on the laptop, otherwise it'd make too much noise and wake her up. One day last year I got to play whilst my other half took my daughter with her when she went out and I set up in my office. It was glorious, but really, for the amount i get to use it, its a waste of money :/  

A cheap gaming headset for 50 €. At that time I had no clue how to spot quality in that category. It had a microphone which broke of. It was uncomfortable and then it broke in such a way so that I could no longer adjust its position properly which made it even more uncomfortable.

Yeah.

So i bought a used PSU off from ebay for like 12€ or so... it seemed like a pretty good deal, but when it arrived i saw that some of the cables were cut off the connectors. (This was never mentioned on ebay)

CPU: Intel i5 6600k Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M3

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 Storage: Samsung 840EVO 240GB GPU: MSI 1060 6GB Gaming X

PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 10 500W CM Case: Aerocool DS200

Monitor: Samsung C27F390FHU x2 Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Keyboard: Roccat Isku FX

The various Corsair SP fans ugh so noisy. Any keyboard that doesn't have mechanical blue/green switches. There's the Crucial Ballistix ram meant for the Ryzen desktop that it didn't like -- though that went to use in my GFs rig so I guess that one gets a soft pass.

Back with one of my older builds I purchased the CoolerMaster V10, then within a month went to full loop watercooling with an external radiator that connected via the back of the case lol.

image.jpeg.9451ffed39ae1e81bf596a132decead2.jpeg

my HTC vive arrived dead, took HTC over 40 days to do anything about it.

they send me everything back and broke my controllers, another 20 days to resolve.

when everything was finally back here i had no more intention to play anymore, i spend more hours troubleshooting this thing than playing.

i paid full price of a office 2010 for a mac air, which i end up not liking the OS so stopped using it and I have a pc at home. money so wasted.