Socks for gamers

msknight

In case you thought we'd had it all, "for gamers," now there are socks for gamers by Puma. Costing £80. - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/12/19/puma_gamer_socks

This isn't April, is it?

Puma lists its features and benefits, which we've copied verbatim below, because we don't quite understand it:

• Medial wrap-up grip in SEEK mode
  • Lateral wrap-up support in ATTACK mode
  • Heel wrap-up stability in CRUISE and DEFENSE mode

Presumably, medial motion refers to pointing your toes inwards and lateral to pointing your toes outwards, but that doesn't really explain it.

I could see there being a market for foot based accessories in the Dance Dance Revolution eSports scene, but I am not sure who these socks are for ?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Looks comfy though, but for $100, no..

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

52 minutes ago, msknight said:

now there are socks for gamers by Puma

no.gif.8df29637c033f44db9342459f53f0ae8.gif

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, Ecchi said:

Absolutely useless. 

i mean

you can wear them with sandals

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

You guys clearly aren't hardcore gamers otherwise you would appreciate the utility of having socks specifically designed for hardcore gaming. £80 is a steal for the high level of performance increases one can expect from these hardcore gaming socks #hardcoregamer #getshitonkid #MLG

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

35 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

i mean

you can wear them with sandals

Did they confirm backwards compatibility with last gen sandals? Or will these require new gaming sandals?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

12 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Did they confirm backwards compatibility with last gen sandals? Or will these require new gaming sandals?

You have to buy the first batch of "fat" socks, as the later batches of "slim" and "super slim" socks will not be backwards compatible. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

24 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Frequently.  They lack a separated big toe.  You need sandals that are whole foot.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Puma seems to be flailing a bit.  Their whole thing is shoes for every sport, no matter how specialized.  They make shoes for discus throwing for example.  The whole “but this one doesn’t use your feet at all” thing is leaving them a little bit “um......”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

as dumb as this is......

they do be lookin' kinda fresh doe ??

(no but really, this might be useful for me as my feet slip around on my flight pedals and that really screws with the flight characteristics of my ship in elite sometimes, especially when doing very closely-matched PvP)

The puma people would probably be overjoyed to hear about something like that and would put grippy stuff on the bottoms (which it might or might not have). Their problem is the whole “every sport uses feet” thing just flat fails for gaming. Any use of feet at all would likely send them scrambling.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Puma seems to be flailing a bit.  Their whole thing is shoes for every sport, no matter how specialized.  They make shoes for discus throwing for example.  The whole “but this one doesn’t use your feet at all” thing is leaving them a little bit “um......”

Next up wheelchair basketball shoes.

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

i did see in the video that they had grippy rubber and what looked like a mild adhesive on them? so - i think they would actually be practical for me, just not at *that* price

True. $2 Hospital style grippy socks would possibly work as well.

5 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

lemme just break my ankles rq

You could just...... get them from amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Pilates-Hospital-Adults-3-Pair/dp/B06WW9SLB2/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=anti%2Bslip%2Bsocks&qid=1576763927&sr=8-10&th=1&psc=1

Unless you dont live in the US, then it'd be cheaper to go through a European healthcare system to get these *badum tiss*

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i feel ticklish just by looking at them ¡-¡

-snip-

Having worn hospital socks, i can confirm theyre a bit weird at first but very natural once and great you get past the texture

:D

I know this is stupid but it actually makes sense if I understand how it's supposed to work. 

When I play RocketLeague my toes get the most workout (from all the tension) so this may be somehow related to that???

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

:D

I know this is stupid but it actually makes sense if I understand how it's supposed to work. 

When I play RocketLeague my toes get the most workout (from all the tension) so this may be somehow related to that???

My understanding is what puma does is they take every single sport on earth no matter how odd and do a bunch of testing on professionals to determine what part the feet play in that sport and exactly what they do (which in this case is basically nothing) and attempt to make a shoe that helps as much as possible.  Apparently toe stretching was the best they could do.  That whole pedals thing is something the testers would probably leap at with joy.

im fine with some gamer socks, but only if they were gaming themed socks, this is just dumb

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

• Medial wrap-up grip in SEEK mode
  • Lateral wrap-up support in ATTACK mode
  • Heel wrap-up stability in CRUISE and DEFENSE mode

huh? tf lmao MY SOCKS ARE GAMER SOCKS

8 minutes ago, themaniac said:

im fine with some gamer socks, but only if they were gaming themed socks, this is just dumb

I suspect the testers think so as well.