Linus Tech Tips videos need to have the date they were created for them to be relevant to viewers

MSwhip

I will strongly suggest for Linus Tech Tips videos to include with them the specific date they were created. That way we the users would know if the information contained is current or dated.

Thank you

i mean...just look at the date the video was uploaded. it was created close enough to that, that i doubt there would be any major changes to the info in the video

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, MSwhip said:

I will strongly suggest for Linus Tecg Tips videos include with them they specific date they were created. That way we the users would know if the information contained is current or dated.

Thank you

yeah that would be very helpful, i would like that too.

are you saying as apart of the thumbnail video picture?

46 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Hmn...

2118104510_Screenshotfrom2019-12-0122-00-19.png.af735f79ead47a22534a0100c20ed23d.png 832799914_Screenshotfrom2019-12-0122-01-01.png.48e5d054928eb688782b74f1c7226697.png 1111808154_Screenshotfrom2019-12-0122-01-34.png.2de44a3700c688ac17ca1d1e2629d716.png

I think YouTube has them covered.

Yeah but those dates aren't in ISO8601 format, so they're useless to me. /s

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Agggh, I see what you did there.

Although that would just be the upload date not the actual filming date but being a tech channel I would imagine they upload them not long after filming so it shouldn't make a real difference.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

i mean...just look at the date the video was uploaded. it was created close enough to that, that i doubt there would be any major changes to the info in the video

sometimes ltt will have the video ready for upto 2 weeks before publishing to the yt page tho

so its probs better if they add the date of making in the bio of the video

Ryzen 7 5800x, eVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC 8GB, Kingston Fury 32GB 3200 MHz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB M.2, 3X Seagate 1TB HDD 7200Rpm, 2TB Seagate HDD, Cooler Master V 750W 80PLUS Gold Full Modular Power Supply, CoolerMaster N200

5 minutes ago, rmnsachy said:

sometimes ltt will have the video ready for upto 2 weeks before publishing to the yt page tho

so its probs better if they add the date of making in the bio of the video

2 weeks is not a huge amount of time, there's not going to be any signifcant change that would take place in those 2 weeks that would completely change the outcome of a video. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

33 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Why do you need them in that format?

1 minute ago, Ravendarat said:

Because ISO8601 is the only valid date format that sorts properly on a computer. But I did include a "/s" because although I prefer that format, I can live without it... usually.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Because ISO8601 is the only valid date format that sorts properly on a computer. But I did include a "/s" because although I prefer that format, I can live without it... usually.

Create script that changes format

This should be done in certain scenarios, but really only when information has changed in the mean-time.

Usually when they do stuff like quote prices, they do mention a date.

12 hours ago, kirashi said:

12 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Agggh, I see what you did there.

Although that would just be the upload date not the actual filming date but being a tech channel I would imagine they upload them not long after filming so it shouldn't make a real difference.

12 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

I only look at dates if they are displayed in the "seconds since January 1st of 1970" format. ?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

2 weeks is not a huge amount of time, there's not going to be any signifcant change that would take place in those 2 weeks that would completely change the outcome of a video. 

Yeah, I mean it's not as if a well known CPU manufacturer will bring forward an embargo by 6 hours just so it can't be compared against it's competitor because it knows it's gonna lose in basically everything. That would never happen!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

30 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Yeah, I mean it's not as if a well known CPU manufacturer will bring forward an embargo by 6 hours just so it can't be compared against it's competitor because it knows it's gonna lose in basically everything. That would never happen!

not sure what point you're trying to make in context of this thread's question. why would knowing the date it was shot change anything to do with an updated embargo?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, kirashi said:

OMG YES!!!!!!!

People: When were you born?

Me:19871211

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

6 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Really confused by this.  

Not only did LTT mention Intel doing this. But it has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

And even if there was, Linus usually will talk about it on WAN Show and the editors usually throw some text in the video at key points to further explain things.

12 hours ago, kirashi said:

Look on the bright side, at least it's not a moronic American format where you don't know whether it's 8th March 2019 or 3rd August 2019... Which is why I prefer to write everything in ISO format as well to avoid this stupid confusion. 2019-03-08 is the 8th March 2019. YYYY-MM-DD also follows in order of significance. It's always gonna be my pet peeve. Along with entire imperial system of arbitrary retardation. Fight me. :P

How would you say when video is "created" anyway? When they start scripting? When they start filming? When they start editing? When it exits render? When its uploaded to Floatplane (same day to 2 months apart YT release)?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

How would you say when video is "created" anyway? When they start scripting? When they start filming? When they start editing? When it exits render? When its uploaded to Floatplane (same day to 2 months apart YT release)?

The description will just look like this..

Thanks to [insert name here] for sponsoring the video, visit [link] to get [promotion]

Date of brainstorm meeting:

Date of writing:

Date of first draft publication:

Date of final draft publication:

Date of filming:

Date of editing:

Date of rendering:

Date of upload (FP):

Outside of something limited like a flash sale, I can't for the life of me see this as a problem when YouTube clearly shows the upload date lol

29 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

what if they take bits from 2018, and a bit from Feb 2019, then upload it in Dec 2019

How would you date that?

Usually they'll say "In the video we did a few months ago about X this was (result)." Or something to that effect.

10 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Or how about when the idea of the video is first thought of?

It's so hard to put an exact date on stuff like this, merely because of how much the original idea can change due to a near unlimited amount of factors. LTT are not the kind to film a video and sit on it for a year and then release it. If they did/do they will make it known. They're a tech channel, they know first hand just how important it is to release something so close to its filming. It's like planning to build a new PC. Do you wait for the next CPU/GPU release? If you do, you'll wait forever because there's always something better around the corner. Just pick what works for you and buy it. Sometimes an idea for a video can take months to come together, and that can all be due to slow ass shipping from China (as one example). When that happens, they do mention it in the video. There is no set in stone way to define a creation date for videos of this kind and scale.

Edit: Something is fucky with the formatting of this for some reason. The fuck happened?

Edit2: Fixed it sorta (for some odd reason most of the text was considered a "null" hyperlink. How?

In addition, every date given in entertainment industry, or printed media, is the release date. Nothing else.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv