I C eU are out of P - Europe and Middle east runs of IPv4 addresses

williamcll

ripe.jpg
RIPE NCC, an organization responsible for providing IP address in Europe and the Middle east has stated they have finally ran out of IPv4 address, a situation that has already appeared in other regions in the past 5 years.

Today, at 15:35 (UTC+1) on 25 November 2019, we made our final /22 IPv4 allocation from the last remaining addresses in our available pool. We have now run out of IPv4 addresses.

Our announcement will not come as a surprise for network operators - IPv4 run-out has long been anticipated and planned for by the RIPE community. In fact, it is due to the community's responsible stewardship of these resources that we have been able to provide many thousands of new networks in our service region with /22 allocations after we reached our last /8 in 2012.

Recovered IPv4 Addresses and the Waiting List

Even though we have run out, we will continue to recover IPv4 addresses in the future. These will come from organisations that have gone out of business or are closed, or from networks that return addresses they no longer need. These addresses will be allocated to our members (LIRs) according to their position on a new waiting list that is now active.

While we therefore expect to be allocating IPv4 for some time, these small amounts will not come close to the many millions of addresses that networks in our region need today. Only LIRs that have never received an IPv4 allocation from the RIPE NCC (of any size) may request addresses from the waiting list, and they are only eligible to receive a single /24 allocation.

LIRs that have submitted an IPv4 request can see their position on the waiting list in the LIR Portal. A new graph has also been published that shows the number of requests on the waiting list and the number of days that the LIR at the front of the queue has been waiting.

Call for Greater Progress on IPv6

This event is another step on the path towards global exhaustion of the remaining IPv4 addressing space. In recent years, we have seen the emergence of an IPv4 transfer market and greater use of Carrier Grade Network Address Translation (CGNAT) in our region. There are costs and trade-offs with both approaches and neither one solves the underlying problem, which is that there are not enough IPv4 addresses for everyone.

Without wide-scale IPv6 deployment, we risk heading into a future where the growth of our Internet is unnecessarily limited - not by a lack of skilled network engineers, technical equipment or investment - but by a shortage of unique network identifiers. There is still a long way to go, and we call on all stakeholders to play their role in supporting the IPv6 roll-out.

At the RIPE NCC, we are here to support our membership and the wider RIPE community in this work. Aside from allocating the IPv6 resources that will be required, we will continue to provide advice, training, measurements and tools to help network operators as they put their deployment plans into action.

We are optimistic and excited to see what the next chapter will bring. So let's get to work - and together, let's shape the future of the Internet.

Source:https://www.ripe.net/publications/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/the-ripe-ncc-has-run-out-of-ipv4-addresses

https://www.zdnet.com/article/europe-just-ran-out-of-new-ipv4-addresses/

Thoughts: Considering every consumer internet capable product since the last decade have IPv6 support ISPs really need to push for IPv6 now, or else people will unethically monetize literally 12 numbers and dots for ludicrous amount of money.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

16 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

yea we cant be running out of ip addresses

what a catastrophy

Hardly. We've run out of IP-addresses multiple times by now and the world hasn't collapsed. Everyone will just continue to use NAT, just like they've been doing til now.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

so they will still have IPv6 addresses assigned but only a "waiting list" on IPv4. what impact will this have on people without an IPv4 ?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

so they will still have IPv6 addresses assigned but only a "waiting list" on IPv4. what impact will this have on people without an IPv4 ?

None, this won't affect people already only using IPv6 at all.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

None, this won't affect people already only using IPv6 at all.

Is there any restriction on what someone with only an IPv6 can do?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

Not any more than before, no.

17 minutes ago, Arika S said:

the thing is, a lot of software (steam for example) only runs on ipv4. So a lot, A LOT of stuff will need to be patched, deprecated and otherwise changed if we want to live in an ipv6-only world.

Like, it'll come with it's own benefits even, if you only use ipv6, you dont need to deal with NAT types if you want to play peer2peer games, as we have so much ipv6 addresses every device (not person or house) can have its own.

I say that, but we're probably gonna use ipv4 within our personal homes if not forever, then for a very long time.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I C U P hahah lmao gotcha 

4 hours ago, elfensky said:

the thing is, a lot of software (steam for example) only runs on ipv4. So a lot, A LOT of stuff will need to be patched, deprecated and otherwise changed if we want to live in an ipv6-only world.

Steam actually supports ipv6 now days, beta client got update in January this year.  So chat, downloads and thing like that are working without a problem however most games don't.  The developers have to update the games for the ipv6 API to work.  This is a REALLY slow process and my guess is that a lot of old games never will get this update.

Oh god, don't tell our local ISP's in the US about this, they'll start charging an extra fee for an IPv4 address, or charge extra for an IPv6 address.

Hell they'll likely do both, on the same bill.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Oh god, don't tell our local ISP's in the US about this, they'll start charging an extra fee for an IPv4 address, or charge extra for an IPv6 address.

Hell they'll likely do both, on the same bill.

Well my ISP (In Sweden) charges extra for IPv4 address. I use VPN that I can connect via IPv6 and get a IPv4 address so it's not really a problem.

But even if I would pay the ISP extra for the IPv4 address I wan not even get close to US pricing.

I think we'll be having some problems when we run out of iPv4 addresses:
https://ipv6-test.com/stats/country/AU

Our router actually has full support for it (it isn't dumbed down like our old Helstra one), but on Vodafone's end...not so much. Even over the NBN.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I think we'll be having some problems when we run out of iPv4 addresses:
https://ipv6-test.com/stats/country/AU

On the flip side it does look like it is increasing on average.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 minutes ago, williamcll said:

On the flip side it does look like it is increasing on average.

Still...the were still having significant issues rolling it out 4 years ago. We're probably still far behind even Greece:
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/aussie-telcos-struggling-with-ipv6-adoption-398240

"Without IPv6, the Australian internet will be less efficient, it will be slower and less reliable, and more expensive - and that would be bad for the country.”

That sentence there is what we're already seeing with our current internet. They'll be dragging their heels for as long as possible in the search for all the money.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Who could have predicted such a thing!?

Spoiler

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I wish this forced ISP to switch to IPV6, instead my shitty ISP (Superonline) utilizes carrier grade NAT AND charges a shit ton for static IP(v4). 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Comcast dual stacks. So no issues for me. Kinda surprised they haven’t done carrier grade NAT. Only because they are greedy and could make a ton on IPv4 addresses. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

My ISP have IPv6 but it's disabled by default.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Here in the UK, Virgin Media have yet to implement IPv6. They were trialing DSLite to run IPv4 and IPv6 in parallel but have apparently abandoned it in favour of full Dual Stack. But no official word from them on when IPv6 would be implemented. Guess they've got a shitload of IPv4 addresses to use up!

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

53 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast dual stacks. So no issues for me. Kinda surprised they haven’t done carrier grade NAT. Only because they are greedy and could make a ton on IPv4 addresses. 

The "make a ton on IPv4" isn't quite as simple as you make it out to be.  And to Comcast's credit, they're leading the way with IPv6 adoption from an ISP perspective in the states.  They're the largest ISP we have in this country, and they're trying to push others to do the same thing.  That's a good thing.

...as much as I hate to give them credit for anything.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 hour ago, jasonvp said:

The "make a ton on IPv4" isn't quite as simple as you make it out to be. 

Sure it is. Charge $15 a month times how many customers that want one. They already charge $13 for modem rental, $10 per box and other bull shit fees. 

1 hour ago, jasonvp said:

they're leading the way with IPv6 adoption from an ISP perspective

That’s their only redeeming quality. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, williamcll said:

we will continue to recover IPv4 addresses

It would be better if they wouldnt do it..... All returned address should be null-routed by ISP's and never reallocated.

Edited by jagdtigger

Seems everything internet related is moving slow, infrastructure expansion wise. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |