Paypal Buys Honey

zeldatp151

I personally have no issue with Paypal buying Honey, but I just don't see how they can be worth $4 billion, unless they just needed that to pay off the Scrapyard Wars sponsorship!

As far as I can see, Honey's business model is pretty easy to replicate, PayPal could have easily added a similar service for an order of magnitude less than they paid to acquire Honey.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 minute ago, yolosnail said:

I personally have no issue with Paypal buying Honey, but I just don't see how they can be worth $4 billion, unless they just needed that to pay off the Scrapyard Wars sponsorship!

As far as I can see, Honey's business model is pretty easy to replicate, PayPal could have easily added a similar service for an order of magnitude less than they paid to acquire Honey.

That's not the point. Getting rid of competition is the larger objective. Paypal has been trying and failing to provide a good system for discounts for years and Honey serves the two goals by assimilation. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

That's not the point. Getting rid of competition is the larger objective. Paypal has been trying and failing to provide a good system for discounts for years and Honey serves the two goals by assimilation. 

Exactly, I reckon it'll be about 18 months before the Honey brand will disappear.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It sounds like your computer, phone, or whatever you are making your payments from is infected with some kind of key logger or malware. 

You would think, but then all of my info and accounts would have been compromised already. It's only Ebay and Paypal, and only when I use the two together.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

You would think, but then all of my info and accounts would have been compromised already. It's only Ebay and Paypal, and only when I use the two together.

Precisely he fact that it happens when you use it is what tells me that they are obtaining your updated credentials for it as you type them..

It could be just Paypal because the trojan is set to recognize PayPal usage for logging and sending, or because, well, other accounts are useless but PayPal it's not :P 

Still, it's only a conjecture of mine.

Maybe one could try using paypal+ebay from a different device, preferably booting from a live USB (also created in a different device) and see what happens. But then again, if you don't trust the platform, you probably wouldn't want to go through the trouble - again.

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Anytime I use Paypal, specifically with Ebay, somehow my information gets stolen and someone (usually from Russia) buys shit with my Paypal. Then sometimes my Ebay account gets hijacked and I get locked out. Ebay has my account disabled at the moment, so it's "safe" and quite frankly, I don't feel like trying to get it back. I'm done with both of those fucked up services. So I hope I don't have to delete my Honey account and uninstall it.

That sounds like you got some malware on your PC or network. No one I know has ever had anything like that happen with PayPal, including myself, and I've used it and eBay for years and years now.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

38 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Precisely he fact that it happens when you use it is what tells me that they are obtaining your updated credentials for it as you type them..

It could be just Paypal because the trojan is set to recognize PayPal usage for logging and sending, or because, well, other accounts are useless but PayPal it's not :P 

Still, it's only a conjecture of mine.

Maybe one could try using paypal+ebay from a different device, preferably booting from a live USB (also created in a different device) and see what happens. But then again, if you don't trust the platform, you probably wouldn't want to go through the trouble - again.

24 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That sounds like you got some malware on your PC or network. No one I know has ever had anything like that happen with PayPal, including myself, and I've used it and eBay for years and years now.

I've scanned everything on the network before, everything comes back clean.

I did Google the issue some time ago and found other people having the same issue when using Paypal with Ebay, but it was a rather long time ago.

Damn, first PIA, now Honey. Seems likely LTT is going to be acquiring some new sponsors soon LOL.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

Honey is trash anyways.  Oh shocking that "Christmas2016" doesnt work anymore.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

45 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I've scanned everything on the network before, everything comes back clean.

If you have e.g. malware running on your router, no simple network-scan will find it. Those simplistic network-scans are pretty much useless anyways.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

If you have e.g. malware running on your router, no simple network-scan will find it. Those simplistic network-scans are pretty much useless anyways.

I don't remember what I used to scan it. But I know it wasn't one of those simple ones.

28 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Honey is trash anyways.  Oh shocking that "Christmas2016" doesnt work anymore.

I don't know about that but that. Sure it's hit and miss but I have saved money on it before.

I wonder if purchases made with paypal are automatically gonna get a coupon code using honey's database, would be an interesting selling point to using paypal, I guess.

When I tried Honey it never worked to me.

Anywhere I tried to shop there were absolutely none discount coupons or anything... even with Amazon.de.

16 hours ago, Haaselh0ff said:

4 billion? Jeez was Honey really that popular?

"Free" money is always popular. I use it when I can. But most webshops in Belgium are not supported.

8 hours ago, WereCat said:

When I tried Honey it never worked to me.

Anywhere I tried to shop there were absolutely none discount coupons or anything... even with Amazon.de.

Well, their extension homepage says "Works at thousands of stores in the US, Canada, Australia, India and the UK.", which is why I never tried it. I wonder if there are exceptions to that list.

18 hours ago, Stru said:

I'd sell out for 4 billion, gotta be honest. 200 employes, 20 mil each, No problem.

Thinking random employees will get a % of the buyout... I wish that was always the case. 

20 hours ago, Stru said:

I'd sell out for 4 billion, gotta be honest. 200 employes, 20 mil each, No problem.

nvidia be like, Jensen: one leather jacket = 1,00$ 3.9 million leather jackets for jensen, rest goes to nvidia employees

12 hours ago, Rune said:

Uninstalled.

ok buddy, big whoop about your opinion, thanks for the helpful insight.

15 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Exactly, I reckon it'll be about 18 months before the Honey brand will disappear.

hopefully they don't kill it like google does, honey has some coupons occasionally.

Honey has saved me hmm maybe 50-60 bucks the past couple months I've been using it? I think most of the savings have probably come from all the food I've been ordering from skip the dishes and Uber eats lol. I think it saved me like maybe 10 bucks on a newegg purchase once. 

Kinda worried on where this will go. Honestly not a fan of Paypal or their practices when combined with ebay. Burned me so many times. 

Well, I guess it's time to give Rakuten a try. Not that Honey helped me much anyway.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

PSA 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, Murasaki said:

but-why.gif

I can tell you why. PayPal wants to not only know what you're actually buying, they also want to know what you're looking at. Because Honey, as far as I know, when it's comparing prices, is feeding into the Honey's engine. So, even if you won't actually pay something that would register with PayPal, they'll get the info what you've been looking at and see your interests. Sort of like buying "trending". Knowing what people look and buy in the end can tell A LOT to a merchant or a manufacturer.