What do Americans/Canadians think of British music?

3 Lions

Just wondering really, listen to these then comment below on what you think...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Historically, Americans have loved British rock bands, so it is very possible for British musicians to be very successful in the US.

My opinion about the music above: The Schottz song is Ok. I mean, the artists clearly aren't lyrical geniuses, they are definitely using a talentless mumble style. However the beat is more what I'm used to living in the American South. All of the other songs seem to be from relatively underground musicians: The quality of the music videos is low or doesn't exist, the beats are terrible, and I can't understand a single word they say. McSmally is obviously very young, however his lyrical style is more reminiscent of American lyrical rappers and it seems that he has legitimate talent assuming that he is doing his own writing.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I like British rock, but when I listen to any British hip hop, just their accent makes the rapper's voice sound super goofy. I think that kind of reverses what the producer was going for, but it's really just based on what accent you're used to hearing, and that would be an American accent for me. I'm not that into rap

I would include the likes of Stormzy and Aitch, stormzy in particular is pretty great.

There are more but the videos might get flagged by mods for inappropriate content

1 hour ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Quick question, but when did the English stop speaking English?

The kid in the last one isn't even old enough to play Fortnite.

Pro tip for anyone else in this thread. If you want to listen to those songs you would do yourself a favour if you open the videos up in a private tab. You do not want your Youtube feed full of recommendations for that garbage.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I'm an oddball myself as I like music from all genres, all cultures, and all places. Sure there are specific songs or artists I may not like. But I heartily enjoy music from everywhere because I simply love hearing how different it is from what I'd otherwise be used to here in the States.

That said, the first two are good. The third one is a bit rough but still likeable. The fourth one, the singer needs to go through puberty first but he's certainly got talent there. As for the last? Puberty again.

You only seemed to include songs from a seemingly "rap" genre, or related to anyway.

A lot of Americans love British music. There's a huge reason British rock is cliche as fuck here.

Personally, I don't really care for much in the way of international music in general (except for video game soundtracks), so eh.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

36 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Jesus man, the chimpanzee scream really got me, unexpected. It's a cool song tho.

Chimpanzee scream?

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I'll give you that :P

All the artists are from the North of England. The artists in the first 3 videos come from Bradford (West Yorkshire), the artist in the fourth video comes from Newcastle upon Tyne (Tyne and Wear) and the artist in the last video comes from Manchester. 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Im English and based on those vids i HATE English music :P

Give some example of other genres please.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

MC Mental - I see we have a man of culture here!

Some of the British is something I would listen ironically to. Like 'Put a donk on it' and 'Bonkers'.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There is a lot of English music I like (although from dramatically differnet genres and time periods) but I hesitate to even call these examples music. ? Same goes for the same kind of "music" on this side of the pond.

Keep in mind rap is only a "c" a way from a far more accurate name.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Good question. The English love to condescendingly criticize us for the way we butcher English here in the SSA, then turn around and slur (as though drunk) words and names together (how else did St. John become Syngin?), drop syllables and vowels like crazy (it's militAry, not milit'ry), and use a connective "r" (which often becomes a redundant intrusive "r") between vowel sounds instead of a simple glottal stop. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

22 minutes ago, Caroline said:

That music is awful, meh.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall.

The national anthem of every guy with a guitar at the house party

British music is fine, whether it's rap, rock, pop or electronic -- I just don't think those are sterling examples of it.

I'm an electronic music fan, so when I think of UK music I think this:

And more recently, drum-and-bass music like this:

On that note: it's wild to think that some of the most active and talented people in UK dance music are in their 50s and 60s.  (Not that younger artists aren't talented, but they're not the only ones)

i just assumed there's english music and everything else, never had thought of music that way. surely there are bands from Australia as well but i just think them of as English Music. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Let's do a quick history of modern British music milestones:

• The Beatles
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Who
  • King Crimson
  • Genesis
  • Pink Floyd
  • Queen
  • MC Frazz

Seems legit.

8 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

surely there are bands from Australia as well

Hmmm...

Spoiler

I wouldn't clash them as "British music" 

they are specific to chavs lol

bur each to there own

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

If you're talking about British Hip Hop specifically I enjoy Scroobius Pip 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"