Asus rolls out android 10 update. Asus is taking mobile seriously.

parthm

source:

https://www.xda-developers.com/asus-zenfone-6-android-10-update/

let me start by saying im currently using the asus 6z/zenfone 6 and im a happy user.

asus has been doing some great work in the mobile sector recently with the asus zenfone 6, rog phone 2.

the hardware is simply amazing.

software side

theres an android beta program running for a while now and asus has finally started rolling out the official ota.

they not only released the sources but also provided phones to popular devs like arnova for gcam support.

theres custom roms available and they're timely with their updates. my android security never went more than 2 months old.

the phone has been good with the camera(good enough),hw,software and let me just say this about the battery

the phone gives 2 day battery life

12 hrs sot

2 days single 4g volte sim standby

sales

i dont have any official figures but when the rog phone went on sale it went out of stock in both india and china. 

do you think asus can pull this off successfully under such a competitive market if they continue like this?

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-04 at 2.40.02 AM.jpeg

Why would anyone use a serif font on a phone?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Updating a single device to Android 10 sure means they are taking "Mobile seriously".

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Because comic sans was/sn't available.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It’s easy to verify support for a new Android version when you only have to maintain 2 devices. 

These other ODMs are dealing with dozens of different models at any given time. That’s not an excuse for them, they were foolish for choosing that business model....but that’s the reality of Android. It’s simply too fragmented to get consistent updates. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Kaloob said:

Solution: use a lightly modified version of Android on all devices. For example, Samsung could keep all of the features that are added in One UI from stock Android, but keep everything else stock. 

It's mostly a lack of effort.

OR be part of Android One.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

And yet my phone (released March last year) only has Android 7.1.1, and isn't going to be getting anything newer.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Because comic sans was/sn't available.

That's hard to believe my cousin who have a Zenfone 6 is on a sans font.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

49 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

What is it? If it was released last year, shouldn't it have at least Android 8? Install a custom ROM?

Depending on the device, installing a ROM may not be a walk in the part, and if it isn't a popular device among enthusiasts, one may see very little or no help in this regard. Was as difficult as pulling teeth with my phone anyway. 

Unless you like tinkering and have the wherewithal to troubleshoow issues that may come up, I'd consider custom ROMs an unsuitable substitute.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

That's hard to believe my cousin who have a Zenfone 6 is on a sans font.

I had trouble working out whether the comment regarding the font being a serif was positive, negative or indifferent. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Asus has been hit and miss for me. I really liked my last Asus phone, but the build quality was seriously lacking. They simply used too soft of an aluminium and it resulted in a very easily damaged device. It also had eMCC, which failed, and that displeased me greatly. I'd consider getting a flagship phone of theirs to try, however I don't like the flip camera idea...and the ROG Phone is simply much too large.

Their software was killer though. They were constantly doing updates, more than any other cell phone manufacturer I've had. And by updates, I don't just mean Android versions; they're constantly adding new features, and they have an app where you can recommend tweaks or additions, which they actively work on.

I have high hopes for the ZenFone 7. Throw a regular camera set up and an AMOLED screen onto the current body and I'd be sold.

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s easy to verify support for a new Android version when you only have to maintain 2 devices. 

These other ODMs are dealing with dozens of different models at any given time. That’s not an excuse for them, they were foolish for choosing that business model....but that’s the reality of Android. It’s simply too fragmented to get consistent updates. 

They have way more than two devices...

The models aren't the issue, it's the way you have to go about updating Android, which they've started actively fixing. In a couple of years the phones coming out will have a much easier time updating Android.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have an Asus phone too and I don't have any updates. Where is my Android 10 update?!

My phone came with Android 5. They also provided Android 6 for my phone, but checking for updates never shows it. The only way to get it, was to download and install manually. It felt like they never wanted to support that phone with the update, but to make everyone stop nagging, they did it anyway.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I'm happy with my razer phone 2. Its no one m7...would trade anything for that phone with a newer version of android again....but its okay. I've gotten 3 updates since purchase, including one version upgrade.

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

What is it? If it was released last year, shouldn't it have at least Android 8? Install a custom ROM?

That's what I thought but no. Because its a J2 Pro (not from the A series) its getting fuck all support aside from security updates (those stopped after I unlocked the boot loader & installed TWRP recovery). And the ROMs I've found are for the overseas models, which are different enough to risk bricking my phone.

Note that my Asus TF201 and TF700 from 2011-2013 have custom ROM of Android 7.1.1, and it runs extremely well compared to the stock ROM, so performance is no excuse.

PMSL

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

These other ODMs are dealing with dozens of different models at any given time. That’s not an excuse for them, they were foolish for choosing that business model

At the very least, I would think a manufacturer should focus on making sure their $1,000 USD flagship devices get swift software updates for more than a year. The Galaxy Note 8 not getting Android 10 and the Note 9 not getting it until next year is incredibly pathetic and does not give me even the slightest amount of confidence in Samsung devices, regardless of how many devices they produce and provide software support for.

It's one of those things, if I know somebody is going to hold onto their phone for 3+ years, which is getting to be a lot more people than years past, there's not an Android phone I would ever comfortably recommend.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Considering that last year's ROG Phone still runs Android 8, I would just wait and see. I've had a ton of software issues with my Asus tablet, that's why I always stay away from this brand.

44 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Considering that last year's ROG Phone still runs Android 8, I would just wait and see. I've had a ton of software issues with my Asus tablet, that's why I always stay away from this brand.

Android Pie for ROG phone 1 is still coming, according to some forum threads I've read on the asus site, it has been noted to be delayed without announcement since it was supposed to launch on the end of October:

Source: https://www.asus.com/zentalk/tw/thread-388533-1-1.html

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

Android Pie for ROG phone 1 is still coming, according to some forum threads I've read on the asus site, it has been noted to be delayed without announcement since it was supposed to launch on the end of October:

Source: https://www.asus.com/zentalk/tw/thread-388533-1-1.html

Still, it will probably never get Android 10, which is a shame for a device released just a year ago.

Now, if only someone made a good, mid-range tablet with stock Android... *sighs and wishful thinking*

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

12 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Now, if only someone made a good, mid-range tablet with stock Android... *sighs and wishful thinking*

Microsoft next year might fulfill that. you like dualscreen devices that is. 

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

OP seems 

The J2 Pro (2018) did get update to Oreo

But its a budget (low end) device. You can't expect much development for it.

Anyway the OP seems to have abandoned the thread. I shan't linger.

Nope. It actually didn't. There are only rumours of an update to 8.0, and Samsung only goes back to the J5 as having 8.0 in their own list of models with it.
And considering Android 8.0 released August 2017...

PMSL

10 hours ago, williamcll said:

the font is syndor and its not really that bad

10 hours ago, Levent said:

Updating a single device to Android 10 sure means they are taking "Mobile seriously".

look i know someone who uses a low end asus phone which also gets security updates.

the india head or whatever position guy has been trying promotions with youtubers and stuff like that.

theyve got custom roms for all of their models and not only their shitty zen ui to almost stock zen ui but also their update situation has seriously improved from just a few years back. so id say they are trying.

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

Asus has been hit and miss for me. I really liked my last Asus phone, but the build quality was seriously lacking. They simply used too soft of an aluminium and it resulted in a very easily damaged device. It also had eMCC, which failed, and that displeased me greatly. I'd consider getting a flagship phone of theirs to try, however I don't like the flip camera idea...and the ROG Phone is simply much too large.

Their software was killer though. They were constantly doing updates, more than any other cell phone manufacturer I've had. And by updates, I don't just mean Android versions; they're constantly adding new features, and they have an app where you can recommend tweaks or additions, which they actively work on.

I have high hopes for the ZenFone 7. Throw a regular camera set up and an AMOLED screen onto the current body and I'd be sold.

They have way more than two devices...

The models aren't the issue, it's the way you have to go about updating Android, which they've started actively fixing. In a couple of years the phones coming out will have a much easier time updating Android.

you might not like the idea of the flip camera but honestly after using it ive got no problem with it at least my unit works perfectly. ive already dropped it and it still works fine.i think the benefit of using the back camera as a front camera is good enough to warrant the use of the flip mechanism

10 minutes ago, parthm said:

look i know someone who uses a low end asus phone which also gets security updates.

the india head or whatever position guy has been trying promotions with youtubers and stuff like that.

theyve got custom roms for all of their models and not only their shitty zen ui to almost stock zen ui but also their update situation has seriously improved from just a few years back. so id say they are trying.

there is a very good reason for OEMs pushing out security updates. Google makes it mandatory for OEMs to release security updates for atleast 2 years. So yeah, they are not even trying.

https://www.androidauthority.com/android-updates-mandatory-google-917990/