Poll: How do you upgrade your PC?

Thready

Poll: How do you upgrade your PC?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you upgrade your PC?

• Entire new system each time
    • Upgrade the CPU, motherboard, and GPU at the same time
    • Each part separately

Share any of your thoughts about the best way to go upgrading your PC below.

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

i do it part by part because thats how i like to do things. is it a good way? probably not

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Obviously upgrading individual parts is the way to go. If I see that my GPU is unable to maintain desired FPS, I will buy a better one. Or if I bump into RAM limit I simply get more RAM.

In more rare cases when entire system is dated and upgrading a single part means it would get bottlenecked by the rest of the system, then its obvious that an entire platform needs upgrade.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Depends. I havent upgraded in years now. Normaly i upgrade the weak part. But sometimes i just switch to new Generations across the board. I only upgrade when i feel tthe need. I dont need the newest stuff as long as i have decent frames.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Reaching nearly 5 years with my current system, and thinking about upgrading... The cpu limits me most of the times productivity wise, the gpu is sorta fine but probably swapit anyways. As a friend of mine could use both of them, I probably get rid of the whole system and replace everything except storage probably. Maybe I'll do it in steps, who knows. plan for the next year

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Motherboard/RAM/CPU almost always have to be upgraded at the same time, but apart from that I upgrade one part at a time.

I actually overbought my RAM in 2016. I have 24 GB of 3000. So I'm good for a while while I switch from a 6600k to ryzen

I mean last time I upgraded my whole system because I went from laptop to desktop but if I where to do it again...

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Motherboard, processor, RAM, and OS drive. Sometimes I do GPU also, but not always. 

Sometimes I can reuse RAM on a newer build, but if I have a setup that works reliably it usually turns into a secondary computer, or makes its way to a relative after a clean OS install.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Both. Sometimes I change out or add some parts other times I change everything.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Pretty much when I'm no longer happy with a specific component I'll upgrade it. Right now I need more RAM, like a 16gb dual channel kit, ddr3 1600mhz sodimm kit and ddr3 1333mhz dimm kit, but sadly it cost money.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Why would you upgrade GPU with mobo/CPU? The RAM should be more obvious choice there.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

"as needed" would be my answer. It is easy to swap GPU or add ram. If the platform needs replacing, then it will be almost all new as I like to keep the "old" system operationa during the transition period. I could carry over the GPU unless it was also too out of date and needed upgrading.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I try to upgrade the CPU or GPU on a 2 year cycle.  So i'll upgrade a GPU,  then in 2 years i'll do the CPU (which usually means MB\RAM as well),  then 2 years later I'll do the GPU again.

Things like Case, Power supply, storage, i'll replace as needed.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

3 hours ago, Slayerking92 said:

I try to upgrade the CPU or GPU on a 2 year cycle.  So i'll upgrade a GPU,  then in 2 years i'll do the CPU (which usually means MB\RAM as well),  then 2 years later I'll do the GPU again.

Things like Case, Power supply, storage, i'll replace as needed.

I shoot for a 3 year cycle myself only because I'm poor. I'm planning on keeping my case for many years as it has everything I need

• CPU, Motherboard, and RAM are always my biggest purchase for obvious reasons. Usually I go the mile and hold onto them for 5 years.
  • GPU usually ends up being around every 3 years or so.
  • Case and PSU are usually purchased as needed. When the Corsair Air 540 came out I bought it and am still loving the dual compartment design. I have an EVGA 1000w Supernova which I ran for 6 years, it dropped dead, but it was still covered under warranty so I got a new one for free. 
  • Monitors, I'll run them for as long as I can so there is no set refresh interval.
  • Peripherals, Mouse, Keyboard, and Headset I'll hold onto until they disintegrate. 

Hope that helps

For me it mainly depends on: Money and goals/purposes I use the system for. Normally most of the time it's just a part by part upgrade however I am currently planning a big upgrade that I hope will last me a while

Main system

Spoiler
X5650 (4gzh), Hyper 212 Black Edition, Asus Sabertooth X58, 24GB, MSI GTX 1070 AERO 8G OC and ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 4GB OC, COSMOS II 25th Anniversary Edition, 
HP Omen 25 1080P 144hz monitor

Main server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

2x Intel Xeon E5530, 2.40GHz, 4 cores 8 threads (total 8 cores 16 threads), 48GB, Quadro FX3700

Main laptop (HP Omen 15-ax280nd)

Spoiler

i7-7700HQ, 8GB, GTX 1050

(24/7) Application hosting server

Spoiler

(Case) VDG/Chenbro RM13704, AMD 5350, 2,05GHz, 4 cores, 8GB

Storage server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5620, 2.40 GHz, 4 cores 8 threads, 8GB

NAS

Spoiler

ReadyNAS 2100, 4x1TB storage with 1TB of usable storage (3 drives used for backups).

56 minutes ago, TimoHalofan said:

For me it mainly depends on: Money and goals/purposes I use the system for. Normally most of the time it's just a part by part upgrade however I am currently planning a big upgrade that I hope will last me a while

I'm planning on upgrading to Ryzen and I need a new motherboard and CPU and probably new RAM if I can't get this RAM overclocked to 3200

Depends, my last system lasted me from 2010 to 2 months ago, the only things that were upgraded in it were the GPU, RAM and storage.
I could've simply bought a CPU/Mobo/RAM/GPU and reused everything else... but really, it was 9 years old. I couldn't trust that PSU anymore and the case was ugly... so might as well change everything else, replaced the hard drives with brand new SSDs, go with an NVME boot drive, etc etc...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Upgrade Step1:

Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, Memory. 

Everything else can be replaced later...

12 hours ago, Thready said:

I'm planning on upgrading to Ryzen and I need a new motherboard and CPU and probably new RAM if I can't get this RAM overclocked to 3200

Same. Current plans are either a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X or a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32GB ram, M.2 SSD (most likely NVME) and a mid/high range mobo. But depending on how much time it's gonna take me to get the money I might only upgrade when the next platform rolls around.

Main system

Spoiler
X5650 (4gzh), Hyper 212 Black Edition, Asus Sabertooth X58, 24GB, MSI GTX 1070 AERO 8G OC and ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 4GB OC, COSMOS II 25th Anniversary Edition, 
HP Omen 25 1080P 144hz monitor

Main server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

2x Intel Xeon E5530, 2.40GHz, 4 cores 8 threads (total 8 cores 16 threads), 48GB, Quadro FX3700

Main laptop (HP Omen 15-ax280nd)

Spoiler

i7-7700HQ, 8GB, GTX 1050

(24/7) Application hosting server

Spoiler

(Case) VDG/Chenbro RM13704, AMD 5350, 2,05GHz, 4 cores, 8GB

Storage server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5620, 2.40 GHz, 4 cores 8 threads, 8GB

NAS

Spoiler

ReadyNAS 2100, 4x1TB storage with 1TB of usable storage (3 drives used for backups).