The pixel smasher - Mi Mix Alpha launched + Mi 9 Pro release

williamcll

While top brands around fiddling with foldable phones, XiaoMi has taken an approach that is similar to ones made by ZTE and Vivo: a dual screen phone. What this stands out other than its ludicrous price tag of 2800 is the fact that its body to screen ratio is 180% where the monitor seamless wrap around the body itself as well as using the 108 megapixel camera mentioned in a thread a month ago.

Xiaomi has revealed a new phone that may have come from its efforts to develop a foldable prototype. It's called the Mi Mix Alpha, and it's one-upping the first Mi Mix by having a "Surround Screen" that literally wraps around its body. The Beijing-based tech company says its screen-to-body ratio is 180.6 percent, and the parts not covered by a display -- the top and the bottom of the phone, in other words -- are made of aero-grade titanium that's apparently lighter than stainless steel.

While the phone's defining characteristic is its wrap-around screen, it has another standout feature: a 108-megapixel camera that can capture photos with a 12,032 x 9,024 pixel resolution. It also has a 20-megapixel ultra-wide camera with 1.5cm super macro photography capabilities, as well as a 12-megapixel telephoto lens with 2x optical zoom and dual PD focus. But it doesn't have your standard front-facing camera, because it doesn't need one -- its rear camera is still in front of a screen, after all. The tradeoff is a black band where the camera is mounted that runs vertically across the device, making the backside's screen a bit smaller than the front.

Since the phone is almost all-screen, it also doesn't come with physical buttons (other than the power button at the top) and has pressure-sensitive sides instead. Its other components are hidden underneath the display, as well, including the fingerprint reader and an acoustic technology that replaces the typical earpiece and speaker. And like its predecessor, the Mi Mix, Alpha also uses ultrasound for proximity sensing.

Inside the device, you'll find a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ chipset, 12GB of RAM and 512GB of storage. It already has 5G radio bands for all three major carriers in China and comes with a 4,050mAh battery with 40W fast charging capability. While Mi Mix Alpha may seem like a concept or a prototype at most, Xiaomi says it's already in "small-scale production" and that it's launching in December, though it's unclear if it'll be available outside China at the same time.

You may want to ready your wallet if you're interested, because it has a rather hefty 19,999 yuan (or about $2,810) price tag, making it even more expensive than the Samsung Galaxy Fold. Aside from the components themselves, its pricing likely came from its complex assembly method. It requires the manufacturer to place each layer on top of the other one by one, starting with its internal assembly, then its laminating display, its touch panel and a tough protection layer.

At the same time, the Mi 9 has also received a refresh with a 855+ chipset, a 30W wireless charging (40W wired charge and 10W phone to phone charge) and 5G connectivity. The price of this is around 5 times cheaper than the alpha while having the same performance (mind you the 855+ still outpace the Huawei Kirin 990 5G since they share the same architecture but different clocks)

Xiaomi has also announced the Mi 9 Pro 5G, which is the world's first phone with 30W fast wireless charging capability. That apparently means you can wirelessly charge the device to 100 percent in just 69 minutes. Pretty cool, especially since it supports 10W wireless reverse charging, so you can use it to power up Qi-compatible devices like headphones and toothbrushes. Prices for the Mi 9 Pro range from 3,699 yuan or about $520 for 8GB RAM and 128GB storage to 4,299 yuan or about $605 for 12GB RAM and 512GB storage, making it one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) 5G flagships.

Thoughts: And you thought the galaxy fold was expensive. The mi 9 pro however is a fantastic deal in comparison to Korean 5G phones.

Source: For Mix Alpha

https://www.mi.com/mixalpha

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix_alpha-9893.php

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/24/xiaomi-mi-mix-alpha-price-launch-date/

https://www.cnet.com/news/xiaomis-mi-mix-alpha-is-180-percent-screen-and-its-crazy/

For Mi 9 Pro 5G:

https://www.mi.com/mi9pro

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Looks super interesting! Just curious as to what the functionality will be for the "backside" of the phone...?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

12 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Looks super interesting! Just curious as to what the functionality will be for the "backside" of the phone...?

Mostly notifications or info cards you normally see on phones when you swipe to the left on the home screen.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yeah, so other than requring only a single camera assembly, there is literally 0 benefit to this and tons of downsides. 

You want to share your notifications with the world? Can't put a case on it, cant repair it under any circumstance, don't even get a usable screen experience. Lock screens already just show notifications when on a table, and the type of person who flips their phone face down isn't doing it so that they can be shown yet another display.

This is dumb, and they should feel bad. The true edge display/notification is less dumb, bit I'm not a believer.

(BTW, I actually like folding screen concepts and there a second display like the fold makes a TON of sense. This one. Does not.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yeah, so other than requring only a single camera assembly, there is literally 0 benefit to this and tons of downsides. 

You want to share your notifications with the world? Can't put a case on it, cant repair it under any circumstance, don't even get a usable screen experience. Lock screens already just show notifications when on a table, and the type of person who flips their phone face down isn't doing it so that they can be shown yet another display.

This is dumb, and they should feel bad. The true edge display/notification is less dumb, bit I'm not a believer.

(BTW, I actually like folding screen concepts and there a second display like the fold makes a TON of sense. This one. Does not.

It's a concept lol. It's just meant to show off what can be done, not what should/will be done.

I for one actually think it's very cool kek

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

12 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's a concept lol. It's just meant to show off what can be done, not what should/will be done.

"Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should".

And it's for sale, so it's well worth criticizing the sheer impracticality of it. I mean the privacy concerns alone... **shivers**

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

50 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

According to engadget's article the thing is in small scale production and is due to maybe be released in December. I call bullshit, but whatever.

Word cannot describe how much I want one though, I love my gimmicky phones and this one takes the cake.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

There are obviously a lot of issues raised with such a design but if you look at it purely as a concept, it raises a lot of good-ish ideas that are gonna be upfront with future smartphone designs and foldable devices :

- No front camera, just flip the phone for superior-quality selfies from the main camera lenses and enjoy the back screen viewport

- Dual application usage : one side map app and one side messaging app, or one side music app and one side reddit or whatever

And tons of other good ideas !

There are obvious big worrisome drawbacks and concerns, battery life first and foremost, but I'm pretty sure they'd have some sort of system to automatically turn off the screen you're not facing, and turn it on as you flip the device ? I'm just trying to find excuses for this unpractical hell at this point but oh boy does it look good, in my opinion.

I mean look at the charging animation !!!

charging.0.gif

The alpha looks like something futurama would have made a joke out of poking fun at early 2000's feature phones.

Boy do I want one. I want two, so I can have one pristine I can appreciate for all of time.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

it looks astonishing enough to make me want one

i mean look at this

Mi-MIX-Alpha_15.jpg

i don't see how this kind of use case makes sense but boi am i watering right now  

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I would love it but I have no money.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Impractical as it may be, it sure is one hell of a sexy phone you all gotta admit to that

Car manufacturers do limited run one-off concepts all the time, which are sold for seemingly absurd prices to those who can afford it. Why is it any different for phone manufacturers? It's more of a tech/art showpiece anyway.

13 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

"Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should".

And it's for sale, so it's well worth criticizing the sheer impracticality of it. I mean the privacy concerns alone... **shivers**

this is peak anti-repair, im sure Apple will be right on it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Cool and all but seems quite unnecessary really. Full front display with all under the display tech with proper quality when it matures will be amazing. New type of battery is what's needed it's quite stagnated part. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I think it's a pretty fun design concept. The ideal use case imo is the back is only activated when you taking a selfie. The side only activate when the phone is locked so notification bar is on the side. And majority of the time, only the front is activated so no accidental touch from other places.

ofc there a lots of things that will make this phone unpractical, but the concept is pretty appealing.

Won't buy it tho, just like i won't buy a concept car.

The back side has a "contextual interface" that uses its AI and it analyzes what we're doing
Escenario