Unpopular Tech Opinions

16 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I do agree but I gotta say, much like the 3.5mm jack on cellphones, I'd always like to have a wide variety of I/O in case my wireless stuff fails, or I forget it or <insert excuse here>. Wireless stuff is awesome but it's not impervious. It's a nice reassurance that I can solve my problems through a couple different means. Then again, as you stated, for most people this likely isn't the mindset.

Speaking as a sound tech that does everything from weddings and parties to live concerts,  The less wireless the better.  When a wireless mic setup is requested I always have a backup and a wired back up for that.  You just cannot guarantee wireless to be of an acceptable work-ability. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, RelativeMono said:

All lenovo and ibm laptop keyboards have and always will be shit.

BLASPHEMY! The IBM ThinkPad's have the best keyboards.   Always been an HP/ Surface person for a decade but IBM/lenovo got the keyboard right a long time ago and never messed with it. 

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Speaking as a sound tech that does everything from weddings and parties to live concerts,  The less wireless the better.  When a wireless mic setup is requested I always have a backup and a wired back up for that.  You just cannot guarantee wireless to be of an acceptable work-ability. 

True, wired is better.  For example I'd never choose cellular or wifi VS being hard wired into my network.  However for most things most people use.  

Keyboards, mice, even audio, networking,  Some even dock via WiGig.  For most daily use cases wires aren't really necessary.  So carrying around more than a couple of USB C ports on a laptop or tablet is overkill. 

5 hours ago, masethekiller said:

agree that new car safety features is a bad idea. What they are in reality is features for lazy people. Unless you have a neck injury which maybe you shouldn't drive then, all you have to do is turn around instead of a back up camera. If your driving all you have to do is turn and look instead of rely on a sensor. Also if your car is hard to see then maybe don't buy that car or get a side mirror with another mirror in it.  Driver assistance is even worst.

These tech features will make drivers lazy and stupid and probably increase accidents in the long term. Imo tech doesn't really belong in cars and diminish the driving experience.

I agree with this to an extent. I believe that newer safety features, like backup cameras and blind spot warnings, can be immensely useful, but I don’t believe they should be the only way a driver should be trying to drive. Blind spot monitors and warnings should be used in conjunction with looking around when driving if you’re planning on merging, same with backup cameras, use those in conjunction with looking in the back glass and using your mirrors. 

Granted, if you can’t park a Toyota Yaris, you have no business driving.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:17 PM, jdubya421 said:

Just typed "disk management" into search and its the first and only thing that shows up.

It works fine now, but didn't in the past.

Especially on the Dutch language version of Windows. That possibly works fine now too - don't have anything to test it with.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 10/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, RelativeMono said:

me too kind of, if i have it i turn it on a dim white glow and just ordered another ducky one tkl with front printed keycaps, no led

Yup. I actually do have a fully RGB-lit keyboard but I mainly use the white backlighting. I turned it off on my mobo completely. Can't stand this unicorn crap, gives me a headache.

21 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

BLASPHEMY! The IBM ThinkPad's have the best keyboards.   Always been an HP/ Surface person for a decade but IBM/lenovo got the keyboard right a long time ago and never messed with it. 

no laptop has a good keyboard, the only decent ones are the msi mech ones.

Carrying around a screen tablet and a 60% mech is the only way.

example: (not mine)image.thumb.png.4ab155c60c83fabceaada3a905e0089a.png

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

5 minutes ago, Aristotle2019 said:

A MacBook Air is a budget student laptop. 

Hey.  Even 1 Trillion dollars is a budget. 

9 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

That is a much better keyboard.   It's hardcore if you can use a keyboard with no labels on the keys.   I mean I get it for typing but for anything else... 

7 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Even 1 Trillion dollars is a budget

Oh damn. Yeah. Sorry. 

8 hours ago, RelativeMono said:

This is absolutely ridiculous as far as portability is concerned. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

11 minutes ago, Skipple said:

This is absolutely ridiculous as far as portability is concerned. 

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. Sure, you can't carry it as conveniently in your hand when compared to a traditional laptop setup, but I've never witnessed somebody just carrying around their laptop, almost everybody has a bag that's large enough to carry around a Surface and a 60% mech keyboard like that.

I'd prefer that over the Surface keyboard personally, but I don't own a Surface because I don't like the keyboard and would rather just a decent laptop keyboard so checkmate.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

30 minutes ago, Suika said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. Sure, you can't carry it as conveniently in your hand when compared to a traditional laptop setup, but I've never witnessed somebody just carrying around their laptop, almost everybody has a bag that's large enough to carry around a Surface and a 60% mech keyboard like that.

I'd prefer that over the Surface keyboard personally, but I don't own a Surface because I don't like the keyboard and would rather just a decent laptop keyboard so checkmate.

The entire point of owning a Surface (or any thin&light for that matter) is for portability sake. Carrying around a keyboard 4x as thick as the device itself defeats the entire point. 

I've never witnessed somebody just carrying around their laptop

.....I do? Lenovo X1 Carbon in my messenger bag for on the go... Carry it around from meeting to meeting. Then dock it at my desk where I keep my real keyboard. Take my keyboard with me on the go? Never. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

Touch screens at fast food places are just phase 1, all the workers complaining they need $15 an hour should be phased out by bots. I trust Mcbot2000 more to not put fecking onions on my quarter pounder.

1 hour ago, candle86 said:

You don't need to repaste yearly unless your heatsink is clean and your still overheating

is.... is this a thing people say?

ask me about my homelab

13 hours ago, Skipple said:

.....I do? Lenovo X1 Carbon in my messenger bag for on the go... Carry it around from meeting to meeting. Then dock it at my desk where I keep my real keyboard. Take my keyboard with me on the go? Never. 

I carry my MacBook Pro around as well, if I need to go to a meeting or bring it to troubleshoot something in another room, or just around my house on weekends when I'm watching YouTube or something. I don't use a separate keyboard when it's on my desk though, I have the mid-2012 13" and I love the keyboards on these. 

1 hour ago, candle86 said:

You don't need to repaste yearly unless your heatsink is clean and your still overheating

How is this an unpopular opinion? Like Skipple pointed out, do people even say that you should repaste yearly? I've never heard anyone claim that, usually you reseat the cooler and repaste as a troubleshooting step if temps are bad. If they aren't then you can leave the past on till you tear down the rig or it's been like 4-6 years, though I think some pastes go 8 without breaking down. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I don't mind playing games at 1080p 60fps, hell I'd rather have a good 1080p 60fps monitor with amazing color (like 100% RGB coverage), vs something like a 1080p 144hz tn panel

10 hours ago, wisex said:

I don't mind playing games at 1080p 60fps, hell I'd rather have a good 1080p 60fps monitor with amazing color (like 100% RGB coverage), vs something like a 1080p 144hz tn panel

I thought the same until playing an FPS on a high refresh rate monitor. After that, the 75Hz 32" Omen connected to the den PC feels choppy by contrast.

12 hours ago, wisex said:

I used to think like that....until I tried my friend's 144Hz VA panel monitor. I went home and instantly put in an order for my own 144Hz monitor. $155-ish later I honestly wouldn't go back to 60Hz since my monitor is now 144Hz and also an IPS panel

I do agree that some TN panels really leave a lot to be desired in terms of the colours, but they have come a long way in the last few years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

laptops with powerful dedicated gpu's are really stupid. mx150 etc i don't have a problem with, but RTX2080Ti's in laptops are super dumb.

She/Her

I don’t care that I don’t technically own my digital copies games and can’t resell them for that reason. Its entertainment it costs money.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, Blademaster91 said:

That doesn't solve anything as you still only have the option of using a dongle, which consumers more battery on the phone than a 3.5mm jack, leaves you no way of listening and charging at the same time unless you buy expensive bluetooth headphones, and when the dongle breaks you have to buy another one.

You would charge wirelessly or listen wirelessly to do both at the same time. If your dongle is breaking you have other issues you need to attend to - this is also a bad argument because if your head phones break or phone breaks you have to buy a new one too. I don't know how you are breaking that dongle. Do people really care about battery life? Name one phone that doesn't make it through a day of use. 

On 10/11/2019 at 6:27 PM, mr moose said:

The only question I have is,  which standard changed? It looks more like they are trying to change what the market uses rather than react to a shift in market usage.

The standard way you "plug in" your head phones. I would argue that most changes occur because manufacturers change it and consumers adapt. Look at Blu-Ray/HD video: two options on the market and consumers chose what happened. Look at the switch to digital media over analog media (tapes to CD/DVD). It happened when it did because over time consumers switched to digital. Every manufacturer didn't drop the port at the same time - IIRC Apple was the first to do it. People kept buying iPhones and then other manufacturers saw the success and followed through. At the end of the day I am sure it is about the manufacturer saving costs, but consumers kept buying. People can bitch all they want about not having a headphone jack, but the majority of people don't care. I realize I can't change anyone's mind about this, but I seriously have a hard time understanding how anyone can be so averted to BT headphones. I have Bose QC35IIs and Galaxy Buds and I really like the both of them. I have tons of different BT headphones over the years and I would never go back. I use wired on my desktop, but out on the go or at work BT is the way to go.

The Nintendo Switch is the only console worth giving a shit about because there's more than just exclusives. The PS4 and Xbox One are basically PCs at this point and the only "advantages" are a more polished couch experience and some exclusive games (and even then, many traditionally Xbox-exclusive franchises are coming to PC like Gears of War, Forza Motorsport/Horizon and Halo.

Is the Switch powerful? No. Is the ecosystem overpriced? Definitely. But I enjoy the new games on Switch, having retro games is nice for a nostalgia trip and unlike my PC or PS4, I can actually play them on the go. The Switch actually manages to be somewhat unique, though I wish Nintendo cared more about performance.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)