Unpopular Tech Opinions

On 9/18/2019 at 7:29 PM, Den-Fi said:

YOU SUCK AT GAMING AND WILL NEVER MAKE MONEY DOING IT.

Not going to lie, feel a bit personally called out rn.

You are right though, which is why I am getting a degree in IT instead of going for that top .001% R6S spot.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1600x900 24-30 FPS is actually highly playable 

I cite years of playing on my A6 3650's HD 6530D IGPU and my R5 2500U's Vega 8 Mobile. 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

4 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

This concept as a whole, I don’t understand the 60fps 1080p thing. My toaster build with an athlon 5350 and 750ti ages ago could play GTA V at 60fps in 1080p, all at minimum. What looked better was 1280x720 at overall medium settings for 40-50fps.

And it depends on the game, 20fps cities skylines? Who cares, it’s cities skylines, crank up the settings.

I play secondlife, the least optimized game of all time, 5-10fps with current gen enthusiast tier hardware is normal. Sure you can lower settings down to get 40-60, but why make it look bad? What would anyone do in “stand around and talk simulator 2003” where they need more than 10fps?

Well I was playing GTA 5 at 1600x900 at like 24-35 FPS. Its playable. My Vega 8 Mobile is pulling a massive amount of load these days since the Hd 6530D is useless. 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

On 9/20/2019 at 5:46 PM, Powarusuki said:

People are too obsessed with the meme around the 3.5mm audio jack on phones being missing. Unless you're a high-end audiophile who only downloads their music in incredibly high bitrates and uses very expensive headphones you won't notice any difference in the audio quality by going from 3.5 to bluetooth. I'm somebody who cares strongly about their immersion when they listen to music and a recent pair of $100 wireless earbuds I purchased are just as good as or better than any wired pair I've ever had of similar price.

fucking thissssssssssssss. I say this exact same thing all the time and every body constantly bitches back. Like, are you seriously filling your phone with .flac files and carrying around a DAC and open back head phones to listen in a quiet room? Otherwise it doesn't matter in the slightest. Most people stream music from Spotify, Google, Apple, etc and use their phone on the go where there is a lot of background noise. I have nice wired head phones and nice BT ones and I much prefer BT. I don't know how people deal with cords on the headphones any more. 

On 9/21/2019 at 12:06 AM, Stylized_Violence said:

@Noctus

I would respectfully disagree. I'm not much for audio quality, it's more a convenience thing. Like, I'm paying several hundred bucks for a phone, it would seem a small feature like that would be standard no matter what. Sometimes I forget my Bluetooth earbuds or they run out of juice. Other times my Bluetooth is acting funny and I gotta turn it off, so I still want the option to use a wired pair. It's the same premise as a condom: I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it :) 

Leave your dongle connected to your head phones - problem solved dude. It is literally the same thing.

17 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

And it depends on the game, 20fps cities skylines? Who cares, it’s cities skylines, crank up the settings.

cities skylines is highly playable until about 5fps lol

9 minutes ago, jdubya421 said:

Leave your dongle connected to your head phones - problem solved dude. It is literally the same thing.

I've actually suggested to iPhone users buying replacement Lightning to 3.5mm dongles to hot glue the dongle to the cord. More than one said that was a great idea.

On 9/25/2019 at 7:21 AM, minibois said:

1. Out of curiousity, what mechanical keyswitch types have you and have you not tried?

IMO, I would rather have a good rubber dome over any linear mechanical switch (e.g. MX Red) and tactile switches (e.g. MX Brown) are okay, but not great.

Mechanical keyboards shine when it comes to clicky switches.

2. W10 vs. W7 is something I have thought a lot about..

There are a lot of things W10 does better than W7.. W10 is a lot faster, but I don't like how they made certain programs not show up in search. E.g. 'Disk management' can't be found in search, but can be found when right clicking the start button.

That almost makes me feel like they don't know how to show it up on the search window. The start menu is (IMO) quite a bit better though, which is to say.. It's the same with some added features that can be turned off.

It does feel like W10 has more glitches and general.. Weirdness. But that might just be confirmation bias.

3. Fully agree with this. Personally I feel like that is what RGB is for; to get whatever color you want (as opposed to in the past when you peripherals were always red or green).

Just typed "disk management" into search and its the first and only thing that shows up.

37 minutes ago, jdubya421 said:

It's the principle of the matter. Manufacturers are removing a fairly standard feature from their devices, then are selling an additional product (the dongle) as a solution for the very problem they created. And the reasons they give for doing so are bogus (ie, IP68). I'd respect a company more if they just manned up and said we removed the jack because we prefer that you buy our Bluetooth headphones.

4 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

It's the principle of the matter. Manufacturers are removing a fairly standard feature from their devices, then are selling an additional product (the dongle) as a solution for the very problem they created. And the reasons they give for doing so are bogus (ie, IP68). I'd respect a company more if they just manned up and said we removed the jack because we prefer that you buy our Bluetooth headphones.

In my opinion all of that is a super dumb reason to not like it. Standards change. Most manufacturers just give you the dongle. I am pretty sure Apple doesn't any more, but that is a whole nother thing that lots of people are talking about. I don't think a company needs to give a reason to begin with. Companies are driven by profit, which is given by the consumer. At the end of the day the company does what makes it money and they are all still making money so they don;t need an excuse to remove it. It is like people complaining about semi-trucks on the highway. Stop buying shit and they go away,

4 minutes ago, jdubya421 said:

In my opinion all of that is a super dumb reason to not like it. Standards change. Most manufacturers just give you the dongle. I am pretty sure Apple doesn't any more, but that is a whole nother thing that lots of people are talking about. I don't think a company needs to give a reason to begin with. Companies are driven by profit, which is given by the consumer. At the end of the day the company does what makes it money and they are all still making money so they don;t need an excuse to remove it. It is like people complaining about semi-trucks on the highway. Stop buying shit and they go away,

Totally agree; if a company can make money off of it, do it! But I can still have an opinion that, dare I say, isn't very popular about it. Lol

11 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Totally agree; if a company can make money off of it, do it! But I can still have an opinion that, dare I say, isn't very popular about it. Lol

truuu haha

Unpopular opinion: I don't mind Corsair keyboards. They go on sale frequently and mine's got a volume wheel that I really like.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

1 hour ago, jdubya421 said:

The only question I have is,  which standard changed? It looks more like they are trying to change what the market uses rather than react to a shift in market usage.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Genwyn said:

Mechanical keyboards, not the keyboard itself but the idea that they’re better than other keyboards.

The most important factor behind a keyboard is if you can type well on it. Is it comfortable to use, do you type fast and accurate on it, is it the right type and size to fit your needs? 

Thats why the Logitech K120, a 20$ rubber dome half key-height full-size board is a highly recommended option on many keyboard centric forums. It’s comfortable to use and good for people who don’t like tall keys or mechanical.

No mechanical keyboard is “better” overall just because it’s mechanical. Everyone likes a different typing experience.

I hate island chiclets, some people love them. I hate MX speeds, some people love them. I hate less than compacts, some people love them.

The most important factor to consider with a keyboard is not if it’s mechanical or has certain switches, but if it’s comfortable to use. Anything else is an enthusiast desire or frivolous. Which does not mean mechanical keyboards are dumb. Some people will prefer mechanical keyboards and full height keys, but I keep seeing the entire category of certain types of mechanical boards being overall better than rubber domes or scissor switches, which they just aren’t. 

Well the K120 isn't bad but once you even get a cheap $50-60 mechanical keyboard it's hard to back to go back to a rubber dome keyboard.

Otherwise I agree with you, I don't like anything less than a tenkeyless, and MX speeds felt way too light. It's pointless IMO that keyboard elitists insist the name brand keyboards all suck and everyone should spend $300 on a custom keyboard.

2 hours ago, jdubya421 said:

That doesn't solve anything as you still only have the option of using a dongle, which consumers more battery on the phone than a 3.5mm jack, leaves you no way of listening and charging at the same time unless you buy expensive bluetooth headphones, and when the dongle breaks you have to buy another one.

I/O is completely irrelevant for how most people use their portable computers.  

I am a college prof.  Students bring laptops to class.  They are able to do EVERYTHING without plugging in ANYTHING.  

I am a Surface Pro user from way back.  Everything can be interfaced with wirelessly IF you try.   That's the thing, some things are not set up for that yet.  However, we need to move towards one connector for everything that really needs to be wired. 

Not much needs that though.  I'd even say, someday soon, an EGPU will connect to a laptop by Wifi.  I mean if you can use a cloud GPU why not one on your local network

3 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I/O is completely irrelevant for how most people use their portable computers.  

I am a college prof.  Students bring laptops to class.  They are able to do EVERYTHING without plugging in ANYTHING.  

I am a Surface Pro user from way back.  Everything can be interfaced with wirelessly IF you try.   That's the thing, some things are not set up for that yet.  However, we need to move towards one connector for everything that really needs to be wired. 

Not much needs that though.  I'd even say, someday soon, an EGPU will connect to a laptop by Wifi.  I mean if you can use a cloud GPU why not one on your local network

I do agree but I gotta say, much like the 3.5mm jack on cellphones, I'd always like to have a wide variety of I/O in case my wireless stuff fails, or I forget it or <insert excuse here>. Wireless stuff is awesome but it's not impervious. It's a nice reassurance that I can solve my problems through a couple different means. Then again, as you stated, for most people this likely isn't the mindset.

Using dongle on laptop is dumb. The more you have the more you can do.

Hello Dell, Apple and others.

8 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I do agree but I gotta say, much like the 3.5mm jack on cellphones, I'd always like to have a wide variety of I/O in case my wireless stuff fails, or I forget it or <insert excuse here>. Wireless stuff is awesome but it's not impervious. It's a nice reassurance that I can solve my problems through a couple different means. Then again, as you stated, for most people this likely isn't the mindset.

Having a headphone jack will soon be like having an optional RS323 serial for your ToughBook... or a USB to serial adapter.   Only a sound or external amp will have one. 

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Having a headphone jack will soon be like having an optional RS323 serial for your ToughBook... or a USB to serial adapter.   Only a sound or external amp will have one. 

I sure hope that’s not the case. Unlike Serial, where a replacement standard was better in every way, the replacement for headphone jack is not. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

All lenovo and ibm laptop keyboards have and always will be shit.

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

2 hours ago, Jordie of the Void said:

I hate RGB

me too kind of, if i have it i turn it on a dim white glow and just ordered another ducky one tkl with front printed keycaps, no led

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Rgb is gimmicky and for idiots who buy rgb everything and probably have a 200 dollar gaming headset and play fortnite all day.

Although my mother board has it built in and it looks sort of cool. But I only see when I open the case , I am not going to buy a glass slide.

I agree that new car safety features is a bad idea. What they are in reality is features for lazy people. Unless you have a neck injury which maybe you shouldn't drive then, all you have to do is turn around instead of a back up camera. If your driving all you have to do is turn and look instead of rely on a sensor. Also if your car is hard to see then maybe don't buy that car or get a side mirror with another mirror in it.  Driver assistance is even worst.

These tech features will make drivers lazy and stupid and probably increase accidents in the long term. Imo tech doesn't really belong in cars and diminish the driving experience.