When did people became mad at G2A?

Duski

Is it because of those tweets where developers said that instead of buying off G2A you'd be better pirating? Is kinda funny how some tweets changed the opinion of so many people. Every time I read an article about G2A people are getting mad in the comments ''you don't support the developers'', ''you're an asshole for buying stolen keys'', ''you're a thief'' etc etc. I personally bought a lots of keys from G2A and Kinguin and never had a problem. It's also funny how people don't realize that countries in Eastern Europe and other parts of the world have average salaries lower than 400€. How the hell are they supposed to buy a 30-60€ game?

Those tweets were speaking the truth. The keys sold on sites like g2a and many others are obtained illegally often times and it causes the developers and studios to lose money. This is why people hate g2a, kinguin etc... they provide a place for illegitimate keys to be sold for profit by some jackass who obtained them illegally and profit from said sales while zero of the money goes to the studio or developers who made the game. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Duski said:

Is it because of those tweets where developers said that instead of buying off G2A you'd be better pirating? Is kinda funny how some tweets changed the opinion of so many people. Every time I read an article about G2A people are getting mad in the comments ''you don't support the developers'', ''you're an asshole for buying stolen keys'', ''you're a thief'' etc etc. I personally bought a lots of keys from G2A and Kinguin and never had a problem. It's also funny how people don't realize that countries in Eastern Europe and other parts of the world have average salaries lower than 400€. How the hell are they supposed to buy a 30-60€ game?

Genuine question, I'm not having a go or anything....

Does the fact that some people can't afford to do something mean that the people responsible for creating that something shouldn't get paid for their work?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

When they started existing.

They straight up sell stolen keys, or keys bought with stolen credit cards, and all kind of funky stuff. They also have maffia like "protections", if you don't want to get scammed etc.

If you want a game for cheap, buy it during steam sale, or from Humblebundle. Yes you will need to wait a month until a game is on sale, but atleast you are not straight up supporting criminals, and can support a charity instead.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Duski said:

It's the same logic with buying cheap Windows keys from eBay among other things, while some of the game keys are obtained legitimately some are not, and because of the nature of G2A/Kinguin there isn't a way to tell if you're buying a legitimate key or one that was bought with a stolen credit card, stolen from devs, etc. Same with how you don't know if you're buying something that was stolen on eBay. I personally don't have a problem with it and have only had 1 small issue that was resolved quickly.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

7 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'd wish people would realize that video gaming is a rather expensive hobby. No wait scratch that.

Keeping up with the latest and greatest is a rather expensive hobby.

I don't even try any more, I used to buy every game that came out (within my interest genres) but at the start of 2018 I got really pissed at how greedy the whole thing had become so I stopped.

Since then I've bought less than 20 games in total (before that I was buying 2 or 3 a month) and none have been during the launch window. Admittedly I would have bought the RE2 Remaster at launch had I not got it free with a CPU. Now I just wait a few months and get them cheaper and patched.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I don't even try any more, I used to buy every game that came out (within my interest genres) but at the start of 2018 I got really pissed at how greedy the whole thing had become so I stopped.

Since then I've bought less than 20 games in total (before that I was buying 2 or 3 a month) and none have been during the launch window. Admittedly I would have bought the RE2 Remaster at launch had I not got it free with a CPU. Now I just wait a few months and get them cheaper and patched.

And even then, when I was a kid and I couldn't just buy games, I'd make sure to buy something I was hyped about and actually play it to death. Even the games that I ended up thinking were kind of "meh." I'd get maybe like two-three new games per year at that. Plus I could always borrow games from my friends when they were done with them.

Not to mention I found freeware PC games all the time if I really wanted to fill in the void.

20 minutes ago, Duski said:

It's also funny how people don't realize that countries in Eastern Europe and other parts of the world have average salaries lower than 400€. How the hell are they supposed to buy a 30-60€ game?

You already get the games for a much lower price, if that's not enough, wait for a sale. Don't buy keys that were purchased with stolen credit cards that literally end up costing the developers money.

Or if you really absolutely must have a game to survive, but cannot possibly afford it, at least pirate it instead. At least that doesn't hurt the developer the way G2A's business model does.

9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

You already get the games for a much lower price

What do you mean?

12 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

You already get the games for a much lower price, if that's not enough, wait for a sale. Don't buy keys that were purchased with stolen credit cards that literally end up costing the developers money.

Or if you really absolutely must have a game to survive, but cannot possibly afford it, at least pirate it instead. At least that doesn't hurt the developer the way G2A's business model does.

I mean, you're not wrong in a sense, it still does hurt the developers, but it doesnt let the shitheads who get the keys illegally profit from the sale so it keeps the money out of there pockets as well. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Duski said:

What do you mean?

Regional pricing helps poorer countries. In the case of Romania, you also have a low VAT.

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

I mean, you're not wrong in a sense, it still does hurt the developers, but it doesnt let the shitheads who get the keys illegally profit from the sale so it keeps the money out of there pockets as well. 

No I mean pirating a game doesn't directly hurt the developer; it doesn't cost them anything, though there is a hypothetical lost sale. Buying on G2A literally costs the developer money, because they get hit with fees when the fraud gets caught.

That's why G2A was talking about how they would refund developers 10x the incurred chargeback fees... but then they didn't exactly abide by that promise.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Regional pricing helps poorer countries. In the case of Romania, you also have a low VAT.

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Romania doesn't have regional pricing. 

1 hour ago, Duski said:

if thats the case the key would probably be region locked

If this is a matter of stolen keys, how would G2A even know? It doesn't really seem fair to blame them when they have no way to check if the key was obtained illicitly...

11 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

If this is a matter of stolen keys, how would G2A even know? It doesn't really seem fair to blame them when they have no way to check if the key was obtained illicitly...

They won't, however they don't seem to do much to discourage the act.

2 hours ago, Duski said:

When did people became mad at G2A?

2 hours ago, Duski said:

Is it because of those tweets where developers said that instead of buying off G2A you'd be better pirating?

Nope.

2 hours ago, Duski said:

How the hell are they supposed to buy a 30-60€ game?

Move to America.

People just find reasons to be morally outraged to feel morally superior to their peers. G2A is pretty sketch (there's numerous reasons for it, the most prominent of which being sketchy sellers and G2A not caring much about it) but most people here just wanna pretend to look good because satisfying their own quotas is more important than actually being a decent human being.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

satisfying their own quotas is more important than actually being a decent human being.

How is satisfying oneself not being decent? And what should people do instead of satisfying oneself, satisfy game developers? Invest in their gigantic mansions? I gotta tell ya, investing a few dollars to play a video game for a few dozen hours sounds more interesting than paying sixty four dollars to play the same video game for a few dozen hours. But that's just me. You might think about what type of food game developers stuff into their mouths at fine restaurants but some of us focus more on our own needs. It's a decent way to pass the time.

14 hours ago, Duski said:

I personally bought a lots of keys from G2A and Kinguin and never had a problem.

And how does that relate to how these marketplaces effect smaller devs? You may not have problem, but those services are same as with cheap copies of some locally made products. You can either pay bit more to support original maker. Or be cheap and buy the copy.

14 hours ago, Duski said:

It's also funny how people don't realize that countries in Eastern Europe and other parts of the world have average salaries lower than 400€. How the hell are they supposed to buy a 30-60€ game?

I don’t expect anyone to pay over €50 for a game anywhere. And regional prices are actually a thing. That's the main reason why Steam keys are region locked.

11 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Move to America.

Where consumer products are cheap, wages low and cost of living high? No, thanks. Central Europe is best if one wants to move somewhere.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Guilt by association.

Not everything sold on G2A is stolen or otherwise illegally obtained, but because some are, the whole lot has been labeled.

I've bought form G2A before, i've bought on steam sale before, and ofc i've 'acquired' games by other means and i still dont give a f**k.

its not a politically or social correct statement, but its the truth.

Very few games nowadays are worth full price , imo,  some are worth it on sale, be it from a place like G2A or on steam sale, and others are worth 'trying out' but may end up being not worth buying either due to not being ur type of game in the end, being to buggy, or being to short etc etc.. or being an EA game so whether its good or not doesnt matter its worth nought.

Anyway point is, G2A has been 'labeled' .. if u care about labels ,, stop using them ..if u dont ..carry on.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Where consumer products are cheap, wages low and cost of living high? No, thanks. Central Europe is best if one wants to move somewhere.

In America, living in certain low cost places cost $300 to $600 a month and if more than one person is under the roof they obviously can all chip in. That's cheap as hell. And not everyone makes low wages. In New York, minimum wage is $15.00 per hour. Which is exactly $600 a week if you work just 40 hours. Minus all the taxes and what not. That's at least $2400 a month if you make minimum wage.

On 8/15/2019 at 3:01 PM, SolarNova said:

Guilt by association.

Not everything sold on G2A is stolen or otherwise illegally obtained, but because some are, the whole lot has been labeled.

I've bought form G2A before, i've bought on steam sale before, and ofc i've 'acquired' games by other means and i still dont give a f**k.

its not a politically or social correct statement, but its the truth.

Very few games nowadays are worth full price , imo,  some are worth it on sale, be it from a place like G2A or on steam sale, and others are worth 'trying out' but may end up being not worth buying either due to not being ur type of game in the end, being to buggy, or being to short etc etc.. or being an EA game so whether its good or not doesnt matter its worth nought.

Anyway point is, G2A has been 'labeled' .. if u care about labels ,, stop using them ..if u dont ..carry on.

G2A is one company. It's not guilt by association when the company itself is at fault.

This has nothing to do with poltical correctness.

If games are not worth full price to you, wait for a sale. Buying a stolen key on G2A is absolutely not the same as buying a legit copy in a Steam sale, or some other legit service like CDKeys.com. And as various indie developers have pointed out, even pirating it is a better option than buying on G2A.

If you still can't get yourself to do that, then just don't play that game.