Youtube testing new layout on random accounts.

I don't see this here, or anywhere, but Youtube is testing out a new layout design on random accounts and there is no way to opt out of the tests. There is little information on it that I can find other than a few reddit posts. This is currently happening to me too. Everything is all mixed up and it's hard to find anything.

According to TeamYouTube_J on reddit:

Community Manager1 point·19 days ago

There's no official way to opt out, but this layout is an experiment that YouTube is testing out, and tests like this only run for a short period of time. The team working on the YouTube homepage is always running experiments to continue to improve the watch experience. They've seen this thread, but it'd also be super helpful if you submitted your thoughts (good/bad/ugly) through the official Send Feedback tool so that they can see what you think. Here are the steps for everyone just in case you've never used it: http://yt.be/help/feedback

My take/experience with this layout: I hate this new layout. The old, or I guess normal layout that everyone else has, is easy to navigate and was constantly showing me new videos that I might have been interested in. The regular layout has things in a sort of order with categories. This new one that is being tested has everything mixed together without even letting me know that I have watched something already. Most of what is shown to me are videos that I have already watched. What's worse, the thumbnails are so zoomed in that only about 6-12 video thumbnails can be seen at any one time. I have an ultra wide screen monitor and when the screen is on half the screen, only 6 thumbnails are seen. When the browser takes the whole screen, only 8 and half of 4 are seen at any one time. As shown in my attached screen shots. Please note, I scrolled down to not see the ad on top of the page. The thumbnails just get bigger when you make the browser window bigger. Once this is set for you account, you get this new layout on every browser it looks like. I've tested it on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.

Youtube full screen.PNG

Youtube halfscreen.PNG

Clearly seems like they're trying to put more of an emphasis on thumbnails, seems like a lot of wasted space to me, perhaps a tad too simplistic but I'm open to change.

Youtube UI is turning in to another Windows 10 mess, you cant get shit done in newer UIs yet they are forced down your throat.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Isn't that just the home page?

It was already 100% useless, not showing new videos most of the time along with showing junk you don't want to see from others/super old videos.

Heck I just checked my home page, it shows "From your susbscriptions" right at the top... But they aren't the latest videos and they aren't even in order of release either. It's showing 5 random videos, that are as old as 17 videos ago if I go in my sub page.... But if I refresh the homepage, suddenly that's completely gone and I just have random channels it wants me to sub to along with year old videos like "Can You Build Your OWN Mechanical Keyboard??" from Linus.

As long as the subscription page is untouched, this change doesn't bother me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Well YT homepage was mostly uselese to me though, but this one seems testing phase or whatever that's for sure. They're always messing with UI across their products and nevery quite make it great. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

36 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Maybe stop using Chrome and they wont want you as their guinea pig

It has nothing to do with using Chrome. I've randomly gotten put in UI test groups before and I wasn't using Chrome.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I have it and J hate it

It's a mees and really annoying

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Eh it looks too bloated, video tiles take up too much space imo

I’d certainly line an option. I use my PC from my bed rather often and given that my monitor is only 21.5”, I appreciate the bigger thumbnails. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If it wasn't so obnoxiously large I wouldn't mind it quite as much. I'd still take the current broken-ass UI over that any day though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’d certainly line an option. I use my PC from my bed rather often and given that my monitor is only 21.5”, I appreciate the bigger thumbnails. 

Yeah I’m not sure why these big tech companies seem so remove UI styles rather than just add options. I guess for them they only want to work on one style of UI so they force everyone to move over. Development costs of maintaining multiple UIs probably just isn’t worth it. 

EDIT: Actually want you really want is like a Steam big picture mode for YouTube, seems like it would be a useful feature for users like yourself.

Looks fine to me. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

You change back to the old one. (Don't know how much it will last though.) The new is meh but so is the old one.

Ok, I was proven wrong. Doesn't last long. Pressing f5 brings back the current theme.

Spoiler
On 8/8/2019 at 7:18 AM, Avel Drakon said:

I don't see this here, or anywhere, but Youtube is testing out a new layout design on random accounts and there is no way to opt out of the tests. There is little information on it that I can find other than a few reddit posts. This is currently happening to me too. Everything is all mixed up and it's hard to find anything.

According to TeamYouTube_J on reddit:

My take/experience with this layout: I hate this new layout. The old, or I guess normal layout that everyone else has, is easy to navigate and was constantly showing me new videos that I might have been interested in. The regular layout has things in a sort of order with categories. This new one that is being tested has everything mixed together without even letting me know that I have watched something already. Most of what is shown to me are videos that I have already watched. What's worse, the thumbnails are so zoomed in that only about 6-12 video thumbnails can be seen at any one time. I have an ultra wide screen monitor and when the screen is on half the screen, only 6 thumbnails are seen. When the browser takes the whole screen, only 8 and half of 4 are seen at any one time. As shown in my attached screen shots. Please note, I scrolled down to not see the ad on top of the page. The thumbnails just get bigger when you make the browser window bigger. Once this is set for you account, you get this new layout on every browser it looks like. I've tested it on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.

Youtube full screen.PNG

Youtube halfscreen.PNG

Hey that actually looks like a nice and good for a video list [reads that all the settings, listings, title/categories, ordering, view information is gone]... kill it with fire. Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

It's been like that since I start attwmding univeesity and that is 4 years ago.

On 8/8/2019 at 9:58 PM, givingtnt said:

I have it and J hate it

It's a mees and really annoying

Are you able to show us pictures pls?

✨FNIGE✨

Just now, SlimyPython said:

Are you able to show us pictures pls?

no, I switched back xD 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

no, I switched back xD 

ok

✨FNIGE✨

I'm not seeing much of a difference other than the thumbnails being bigger.

Youtube recommending you old stuff or things you've already watched is all it's recommending me. By default it has 18 recommendation, and after clearing out channels I've already told it I'm not interested in and videos I've already seen, I have 3 recommendations for other videos I don't care about, or 9 year old videos from subscriptions. I just made the mistake of watching a singular X-games finalist video and now all my recommendations are BMX.

Untitled.png.77ccb10cf8aa7c764686320c14685497.png

Pretty sure I've already told YouTube I don't care about Adam Neely.

This is also why I don't watch videos people send me, because I don't want my account flooded with garbage.

#Muricaparrotgang

open up YT, click Subscriptions, scroll, that's how their UI works for me lmao, which is to say I almost always ignore the homepage..