AMD reduces Navi GPU Prices before launch

22 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

Also as a publicly traded company, if they actually publicly released fake pricing, duping investors as to the profit potential of the products, they should be investigated by the SEC.

Setting prices high with room to lower them, and then lowering them later depending on market conditions isn't fraud, and so there'd be nothing to investigate. It's not like AMD's announced prices were fake - their announced price was the price until they changed it based on new circumstances in the market.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

54 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

It's not like AMD's announced prices were fake

But is that not what the 'Jebaited' Tweet is signifying, that they baited Nvidia with false pricing to get them to launch their cards higher?

Just read the review of Navi on TPU and it's actually a pretty damn good card. Sure, it has a crappy blower and some driver issues for overclocking, but performance was for the most part on par with freaking Radeon VII and in pretty much all cases demolished RTX 2070 offerings and mostly trading blows with RTX 2080 and GTX 1080Ti. I was looking at 1080p coz that's what interests me the most with high refresh monitor. And for all the whiners, power consumption is basically the same with NVIDIA's offerings. 10-20W difference is insignificant and shouldn't even ever be discussed at all. I must say I'm quite impressed by the work AMD has done with Navi. I really hope they'll release RX 5800XT and even RX 5900XT. Those are gonna be some fine high end graphic cards if their new architecture scales well when they cram in more compute units.

1 hour ago, Chett_Manly said:

But is that not what the 'Jebaited' Tweet is signifying, that they baited Nvidia with false pricing to get them to launch their cards higher?

thing is it was not fake, they set a price well in advance as to make nvidia show their hand in the mean while, that way they could adjust the prices accordingly before the cards were out, which means had nvidia kept the new gpus at higher prices amd would have kept the original price 

On 7/6/2019 at 6:45 AM, RyomaSJibenG said:

i'm in a dilemma 5700 or 2060 super.....damn

Spend $50 or so more and get a 5700XT, much better value imo.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

I'd personally go with RX 5700XT, but I'd wait for aftermarket coolers. They'll cost more, but these blower coolers just blow. Always have and apparently always will. Which is why NVIDIA also ditched them.

I would never go for founder editions, either nvidia or amd, unless you want one for a collection. Always wait for partner releases.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

On 7/6/2019 at 6:51 PM, Chett_Manly said:

Also as a publicly traded company, if they actually publicly released fake pricing, duping investors as to the profit potential of the products, they should be investigated by the SEC.

even if it was fake price, i thought investors are told roughly estimated total revenue, not margins on each product.

from the total revenue you cant really know the price/margin of cards because you dont know how many they estimated to sell?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

3 hours ago, Neftex said:

even if it was fake price, i thought investors are told roughly estimated total revenue, not margins on each product.

from the total revenue you cant really know the price/margin of cards because you dont know how many they estimated to sell?

Investors can sue for whatever they want, of course that doesn't mean they'll win, but there are always lawyers lined up to have a shot at it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

A bit of a dick move, but eh, at least it makes the 5700 the best value card. I wonder how Nvidia is planning to respond to that.

I just found a review of the 5700XT where the reviewer got a prototype water block and overclocked the core frequency to around 2100 MHz. He was mostly limited by the max value Afterburner would let him select. He also mentions that the memory cannot be overclocked in any meaningful way right now.

Here it is (unfortunately in German only):

19 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I really hope they'll release RX 5800XT and even RX 5900XT.

Might be the card that gets me to move on from my 1080ti.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

1 minute ago, Blze001 said:

Might be the card that gets me to move on from my 1080ti.

I won't be upgrading this time around for sure because performance uplifts will be just too small for now (relative to GTX 1080Ti that I have now). Same way I find it hard to justify RTX 2080Ti, especially at prices they are selling it). I'm guessing sweet spot for me will be for RX 7900XT. That sweet magical 7900 (HD7900) :D That'll be 2 generations in the future when things might be a bit more competitive. Coz Navi already is even without taking the crown.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I won't be upgrading this time around for sure because performance uplifts will be just too small for now (relative to GTX 1080Ti that I have now). Same way I find it hard to justify RTX 2080Ti, especially at prices they are selling it). I'm guessing sweet spot for me will be for RX 7900XT. That sweet magical 7900 (HD7900) :D That'll be 2 generations in the future when things might be a bit more competitive. Coz Navi already is even without taking the crown.

If you have a high-end card, the next possible upgrade path whatever Big Navi turns out to be. It'll be a further generational improvement on Navi, along with hardware raytracing and who knows what else. Nvidia's next generation is at least a year away still, though their Ampere compute cards should show up by year end.

After seeing the reviews, i will stick to my decision to buy a partner release rtx 2070 super. I was hoping for Navi cards to be a bit more powerful, but the 5700 and 5700XT don't stand up to the hype, i was really hoping for a high end release or at last an even 2070 super competitor.

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

1 hour ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

After seeing the reviews, i will stick to my decision to buy a partner release rtx 2070 super. I was hoping for Navi cards to be a bit more powerful, but the 5700 and 5700XT don't stand up to the hype, i was really hoping for a high end release or at last an even 2070 super competitor.

It really depends on which review you watch. Hardware Unboxed was quite positive about the Navi release, while Digital Foundries was quite underwhelmed it seems. They all do the same testing, yet come away with different takeaways.

Fact is:

5700 is on par with the 2060 Super for $50 less

5700XT is somewhere between the 2070 and 2070 Super for $100 less. 5700XT is roughly 9% behind RTX 2080 for $300 less.

You can look at this both ways:

5700XT offers amazing value! Only 2% behind 2070 Super for $100 less! Only 9% and 6% behind RtX 2080 and Radeon VII for $300 less! Amazing!

OR

5700XT cannot beat 2070 Super or Radeon VII. Terrible!

Fact of the matter is, you are getting more performance for your money with the 5700 and 5700 XT than with the Nvidia cards. It does not make sense to pay $100 more (25% more) for 9% more performance. At that point, you should either bump up to a 2080 or 2080Ti to get significant performance increase.

I guess if you HAVE TO spend exactly $500 (and not $400 and not $700) then the 2070 Super is your only choice.. But it is not the best choice to make.

i was really hoping for a high end release or at last an even 2070 super competitor.

I also don't agree that these cards are not "high end". The 5700XT should only be about 10% slower than the 1080Ti, which was the fastest GPU in the world not that long ago. There have not been any significant bumps in game demands since the 1080Ti reigned supreme. So the 5700Xt should really DESTROY any games.

If the 5700XT is not "high end" then the 2070 Super isnt either, because it is in the same ballpark. By that standard, the only "high end" card is the 2080Ti and perhaps the incoming 2080 Super.

and life isn't fair so this is nothing.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

5700 was always a mid-range release. High end Navi is next year.

for me personally its a decision between ray tracing+nvenc vs better price/performance+better freesync support. still undecided though

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

36 minutes ago, Neftex said:

for me personally its a decision between ray tracing+nvenc vs better price/performance+better freesync support. still undecided though

Any particular reason you can't use AMD's encoder?

33 minutes ago, Neftex said:

It's about the NVENC, which is a legit buying point for a certain segment. RTX v1 is a tech demo and it's never going to be anything beyond that. The stalls to the rendering pipeline that having the RT Cores active does mean it'll always be brutally bottlenecked. The 2020 GPU products from Nvidia & AMD should blow away anything gen 1 is doing.

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

It really depends on which review you watch. Hardware Unboxed was quite positive about the Navi release, while Digital Foundries was quite underwhelmed it seems. They all do the same testing, yet come away with different takeaways.

Fact is:

5700 is on par with the 2060 Super for $50 less

5700XT is somewhere between the 2070 and 2070 Super for $100 less. 5700XT is roughly 9% behind RTX 2080 for $300 less.

You can look at this both ways:

5700XT offers amazing value! Only 2% behind 2070 Super for $100 less! Only 9% and 6% behind RtX 2080 and Radeon VII for $300 less! Amazing!

OR

5700XT cannot beat 2070 Super or Radeon VII. Terrible!

Fact of the matter is, you are getting more performance for your money with the 5700 and 5700 XT than with the Nvidia cards. It does not make sense to pay $100 more (25% more) for 9% more performance. At that point, you should either bump up to a 2080 or 2080Ti to get significant performance increase.

I guess if you HAVE TO spend exactly $500 (and not $400 and not $700) then the 2070 Super is your only choice.. But it is not the best choice to make.

I also don't agree that these cards are not "high end". The 5700XT should only be about 10% slower than the 1080Ti, which was the fastest GPU in the world not that long ago. There have not been any significant bumps in game demands since the 1080Ti reigned supreme. So the 5700Xt should really DESTROY any games.

If the 5700XT is not "high end" then the 2070 Super isnt either, because it is in the same ballpark. By that standard, the only "high end" card is the 2080Ti and perhaps the incoming 2080 Super.

You are correct, the value of the radeon cards is better on paper. What worries me is the way worse temperatures and the inferiour noise level of the Navi cards. I can agree on the fact that the 2070 super is not strictly a high end card- although pretty close, the upcoming 2080 super and 2080 ti are (and/or will be)  a good step above that, but still - lacking in 2 important categories (while noise is obviously not as important as temperatures) still puts the 2 Navi models clearly below the 2070 super. To be fair, both are FE editions and who knows what partner cards can make of that :)

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

5700 was always a mid-range release. High end Navi is next year.

Yes and that is a letdown, while i am still happy that they come to chase Nvidia for real again its still a missed opportunity to right out step ahead of at least the 2070 super. 

39 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's about the NVENC, which is a legit buying point for a certain segment. RTX v1 is a tech demo and it's never going to be anything beyond that. The stalls to the rendering pipeline that having the RT Cores active does mean it'll always be brutally bottlenecked. The 2020 GPU products from Nvidia & AMD should blow away anything gen 1 is doing.

isn't amd's new encoder really good now though?

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

isn't amd's new encoder really good now though?

Maybe. Haven't seen any testing of it, but NVENC is well understood by the general "scene". That matters.

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Maybe. Haven't seen any testing of it, but NVENC is well understood by the general "scene". That matters.

Here you go.

Apparently pretty bonkers but it needs some bug fixes.