AMD Is Working On A Monster 64-Core Threadripper

Clueless_Gamer
2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

This really will be a monster consumer CPU indeed! The platform for it will be amazing. 

Now new Epyc with 128 cores though, that will be insanity...

I mean they have dual socket boards so it would be 128 cores per motherboard. 

Press F for Xeon W

F.jpg.027a6f5276b786fd93d7fe3b8f213b82.jpg

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

More Cores!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean they have dual socket boards so it would be 128 cores per motherboard. 

Yeah, though on one package would be insane!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah, though on one package would be insane!

I mean you can always place the motherboard on top of a large Amazon box. Then it will all be on one package. 

63 gamers 1 CPU

12 hours ago, Sypran said:

*Opens task manager*

Behold! All the threads!

I may not need anywhere near so many threads, but the sight of task manager is just orgasmic. I remember having 8 graphs when most ppl had 4. Then I had 12 when most had 8. Now I'm starting to lag behind a bit since I'm still on 12. Even 3900X with 32 threads is just insane sight in task manager.

Wccftech must be smoking something by even mentioning that this CPU could be 14nm, that would be 1st gen Zen tech, even the 2990WX on Zen+ is 12nm, neither of those had 8 chiplet designs. Zen 2 at 7nm is the only way how they can expect to make it work power wise as well, but I still expect the TDP number to be impressive on this thing.

43 minutes ago, mono said:

Wccftech must be smoking something by even mentioning that this CPU could be 14nm, that would be 1st gen Zen tech, even the 2990WX on Zen+ is 12nm, neither of those had 8 chiplet designs. Zen 2 at 7nm is the only way how they can expect to make it work power wise as well, but I still expect the TDP number to be impressive on this thing.

Yeah i scratched my head at that as well. How would 14nm even make sense? They even mention that it could be a 64 core trickling down from servers but what 14nm 64 core server bits do we have? How would you even get 64 cores onto a package that size with 14nm? 

So many questions yet no answers.

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Yeah i scratched my head at that as well. How would 14nm even make sense? They even mention that it could be a 64 core trickling down from servers but what 14nm 64 core server bits do we have? How would you even get 64 cores onto a package that size with 14nm? 

51 minutes ago, mono said:

the author must not be following the server space closely, though he did say he didn't know what it was made with, so i with superior ( :P ) server knowledge can tell you this is 7nm and 14nm, cores on 7nm and io die on 14nm

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

the author must not be following the server space closely, though he did say he didn't know what it was made with, so i with superior ( :P ) server knowledge can tell you this is 7nm and 14nm, cores on 7nm and io die on 14nm

I know. That's the only logical scenario.

One just wonders how you can write about a particular subject and then be so off with your speculation. Presumably he does this for a living. I mean it only takes a little bit of Googling to come up with a plausible answer to what a 3rd gen TR part might look like.

11 hours ago, Trixanity said:

The bit that made me scratch my head was not a week ago everyone was saying Intel couldn't do anything to keep up because they are stuck in 14nm.  But a rumor says AMD can do it and everyone is too busy gushing to question it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

The bit that made me scratch my head was not a week ago everyone was saying Intel couldn't do anything to keep up because they are stuck in 14nm.  But a rumor says AMD can do it and everyone is too busy gushing to question it.

I think no one is questioning it because it makes zero sense and everyone assumes WCCF is wrong, which they constantly are.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, VegetableStu said:

there's been idle speculation that Intel's next regular desktop CPUs will cap off at 10 cores. if the IPC is able to hold up to the R9 3950X then they probably won't see the need to turnt them up

(although they got the turnt up 9900KS as an interim measure against the high end Ryzen 3000 rollout, so...)

or maybe they'll have the answer once they finally do 10nm and make architectural changes to it

On the consumer market maybe. But depending on the heat output intel will be in deep trouble on the server market.... :D

22 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

I think no one is questioning it because it makes zero sense and everyone assumes WCCF is wrong, which they constantly are.

have you read some of the things people have posted here?

they are definitely not assuming this is a silly rumor, they are legitimately excited for 64 cores on 14nm whilst posting shit about RIP Intel because they can't hit 10nm.

I know it sounds rude, but like most of society, most of LTT only think superficially too.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

they are definitely not assuming this is a silly rumor, they are legitimately excited for 64 cores on 14nm whilst posting shit about RIP Intel because they can't hit 10nm.

I know it sounds rude, but like most of society, most of LTT only think superficially too.

I don’t think anyone that has posted here genuinely believes that a 64 core TR would be on 14nm.

On 6/14/2019 at 9:07 PM, The Benjamins said:

My TR3k Predictions (all clocks are ±200 Mhz) ( Prices are ± $100 X, ± $200 WX)

3990WX - 3.2/4.6 - 64c128t - $2499 - 60+4 PCIe 4.0 - 4 Channel DDR 3200 - 250w TDP

3980WX - 3.2/4.5 - 48c96t - $1799 -  60+4 PCIe 4.0 - 4 Channel DDR 3200 - 250w TDP

3970X    - 3.6/4.8 - 32c64t - $899 -  60+4 PCIe 4.0 - 4 Channel DDR 3200 - 180w TDP

3960X    - 3.6/4.7 - 24c48t - $649 -  60+4 PCIe 4.0 - 4 Channel DDR 3200 - 180w TDP

The 16 core Ryzen is $750, the 24c TR would be $1000~.

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

I don’t think anyone that has posted here genuinely believes that a 64 core TR would be on 14nm.

But they are damn sure it exists as rumored and that Intel can't respond.    It's like critical thinking went out the door with the prospect of AMD being untouchable.

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

But they are damn sure it exists as rumored and that Intel can't respond.    It's like critical thinking went out the door with the prospect of AMD being untouchable.

AMD would never put out a TR with just 64 cores. They now need 128 cores/256 threads minimum

2 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

AMD would never put out a TR with just 64 cores. They now need 128 cores/256 threads minimum

why stop at 128.  All the corrs:

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

wait for TSMC 2nm

VIVA LA QUANTUM

Isn't Intel working on Tunnel lake QPUs?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

Please quote these people. There was exactly one comment chain in this thread about it being 14nm, and it starts with "They must be smoking something."

People are excited about 64 cores because its 64 cores, and people are shitting on Intel because at this moment they don't have anything remotely close to answer it. I get that the hyper AMD fanboyism is annoying, but now you're just putting words in peoples mouths. No one with even a cursory knowledge of how Zen 2 works would suggest 14nm chiplets.

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

Not to add fuel to the flames, but isn't Zen 3 7nm? is the EPYC stuff on 14nm still?