Cerny announces new PS5 Details

Livineasy629
15 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i just remembered the chinese console thing, and it made me wonder if the PS5 would use the GPU's VRAM for system RAM o_o

GDDR6 would be interesting, HBM2 would be insane (both ways ._.)

PS4 already uses GDDR5 as system memory so it wouldn't be news and it seems like they'll repeat it with GDDR6 for PS5.

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Yeah which is how they get overall console prices way down, but "bandwidth higher than whats available on PC" is still expensive considering how much we have on a 3.0x16 slot (which most GPU's cannot even fully saturate). Assuming they're just referencing that PCI-E 4.0 isnt available on PC, then it's only a matter of time

you say "most"... what GPU's can saturate 3.0x16?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Titan V or maybe the dual vega card for data centers (what stadia is using) would be possibly getting close, Crossfire runs over PCIE so crossfire setups possibly too. SLI can run over pcie but doesnt, they could go back to that assuming SLI still exists for awhile

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

55 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I wish we knew if the cpu will have SMT or not.

It probably won't, since it doesn't add much value to games while making the system less deterministic.

31 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i just remembered the chinese console thing, and it made me wonder if the PS5 would use the GPU's VRAM for system RAM o_o

I don't see why not since every console this generation uses unified memory.

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The RTX 2080 Ti seems to show noticeable signs of performance degradation on PCIe 3.0 x8.

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Titan V or maybe the dual vega card for data centers (what stadia is using) would be possibly getting close, Crossfire runs over PCIE so crossfire setups possibly too. SLI can run over pcie but doesnt, they could go back to that assuming SLI still exists for awhile

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

The RTX 2080 Ti seems to show noticeable signs of performance degradation on PCIe 3.0 x8.

Image result for hes right you know

(I'ts not full 100% 3.0x16 use but its getting measurable)

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_PCI-Express_Scaling/6.html

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@Livineasy629 Your post doesn't currently meet the Tech News Posting Guidelines. Can you update it by adding a quote from the source.

HTTP/2 203

If the backwards compatibility thing is for 100% of PS4 games, then sign me right the fuck up

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm too lazy to look it up, is this the same PR guy that said the PS5 would do 4K at 240FPS or something like that?

I'm only mildly surprised that they said it would have Ray Tracing as the upcoming Xbone is supposed to have it as well. Same with the SSD, I still want to know if that's something the user would be able to replace and upgrade or if it is mounted right to the board.

The Ray tracing will probably be a different technology than what Nvidia uses. I know there is more than one type but I don't know the specifics of each one.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

3 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I'm too lazy to look it up, is this the same PR guy that said the PS5 would do 4K at 240FPS or something like that?

I'm only mildly surprised that they said it would have Ray Tracing as the upcoming Xbone is supposed to have it as well. Same with the SSD, I still want to know if that's something the user would be able to replace and upgrade or if it is mounted right to the board.

The Ray tracing will probably be a different technology than what Nvidia uses. I know there is more than one type but I don't know the specifics of each one.

Mark Cerny is designated as the system architect, additionally Lisa Su retweeted the wired article, seems mostly legit

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

4 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It probably won't, since it doesn't add much value to games while making the system less deterministic.

I wouldn't write off SMT for gaming since it added a lot to the i3 back around the time of Haswell when the i3-4130 would crush a nearly 5 GHz Pentium G3258 in gaming despite having the same number of physical cores. To a lesser extend the quadcore i7/XeonE3 have ridden this console generation out really well while I read a lot of complaints about the quadcore i5. Of course this current gen is a different situation where the XB1/PS4 use octacores with low IPC and terrible clockspeeds so games were absolutely forced to run over 8 cores. And the situation could be very different next gen now that AMD has a really good cpu architecture. I'm hoping for no SMT in the next gen consoles so my Xeon E3-1231v3 might have a fighting chance through the first half of the gen. If not though gotta say Ryzen 7 is looking like a pretty compelling buy.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I wouldn't write off SMT for gaming since it added a lot to the i3 back around the time of Haswell when the i3-4130 would crush a nearly 5 GHz Pentium G3258 in gaming despite having the same number of physical cores. To a lesser extend the quadcore i7/XeonE3 have ridden this console generation out really well while I read a lot of complaints about the quadcore i5. Of course this current gen is a different situation where the XB1/PS4 use octacores with low IPC and terrible clockspeeds so games were absolutely forced to run over 8 cores. And the situation could be very different next gen now that AMD has a really good cpu architecture. I'm hoping for no SMT in the next gen consoles so my Xeon E3-1231v3 might have a fighting chance through the first half of the gen. If not though gotta say Ryzen 7 is looking like a pretty compelling buy.

If you're at 2 cores, then any potential drawbacks to using SMT over not would likely be overshadowed by the benefits it could provide. But if you're at 8 full cores already in today's environment, adding SMT doesn't make as much sense.

14 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

so games were absolutely forced to run over 8 cores

That's not true. The operating systems of these consoles tie tasks to cores, not all 8 are available to games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That's not true. The operating systems of these consoles tie tasks to cores, not all 8 are available to games.

Absolutely this. If I recall, both the Xbox One and Playstation 4 reserved 2 cores for the operating system and features, then distributed the remaining. One core would continue running the very OS and the second would run other features like constant game recording, like ShadowPlay for Xbox, so basically, games only really used 6 cores at most.

I think some games were allowed to disable features to allow use of the 7th core, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that correctly, I just remember this tidbit of information for some reason.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 hour ago, Suika said:

I think some games were allowed to disable features to allow use of the 7th core, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that correctly, I just remember this tidbit of information for some reason.

Sony unlocked the 7th core. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

A huge step up in performance this will be. The CPU alone will be numerous times faster. Zen2 along with much higher clock speed may finally allow games to actually be 60fps this time around, so that better be a thing. Navi is also a big improvement architecture wise, so actual 4K that is proper and not reconstruct crap should be much more easily achievable.

As for SSD that will be a massive change. By then and bulk buy prices will be quite cheap. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, PrinceNorris said:

I'm conCerned about thermal situation since One X has a vapor chamber just to keep up 4K. Water cooled console?

No, because that'll increase the cost of the console, which is the last thing they'd want to do.

The XBox One X has what's basically a slightly bigger, somewhat downclocked RX 580 in it, which is rated for 180W. The closest and latest thing on NVIDIA's side to that power wise is an RTX 2070. Given Navi is supposed to be a 7nm chip and compete with Turing, you could argue the performance of an RTX 2080 could be within that power envelope.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:42 PM, Arika S said:

If the backwards compatibility thing is for 100% of PS4 games, then sign me right the fuck up

More like 90-99% of games.
Because some games already crap out if they run in "boost mode" on the PS4 PRO.

The 2013 Tomb Raider comes to mind here.

But that's a Fuckup on the Game Developer side, wich might prevent upwards compatibility of the Software.

Besides that, there shouldn't be anything in the way of PS4 Games on PS5.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

How much of a difference will it be when going from jaguar to zen cpu in terms of performance? can anyone guess?

5 hours ago, Paddi01 said:

How much of a difference will it be when going from jaguar to zen cpu in terms of performance? can anyone guess?

Not sure what kinda guess you want here, a vague answer might be 3x+. Depends on the core count/threads, clocks, zen1/2, etc.

i would think atleast 4x+ though.

9 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The Athlon 5350 uses the Jaguar core. So it's likely up to 4 times faster.

Keep in mind that the 5360 only has a single channel (64bit) Memory interface...

It would be really interesting to compare that with other Chips with similar frequencies and also Single Channel Memory...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"