Optical drive survey

thedangerine

Optical drive survey  

947 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your optical drive setup look like?

• Internal CD/DVD optical drive
    • Internal Blue Ray optical drive
    • Internal HD DVD optical drive
    • Internal Blue Ray and HD DVD optical drive
    • External CD/DVD optical drive
    • External Blue Ray optical drive
    • External HD DVD optical drive
    • External Blue Ray and HD DVD optical drive (honestly not sure if these exist but I guess we'll find out from the survey)
    • No optical drive
  2. 2. How do you feel about optical drives?

• Its good to have at least some way to read/write CD's or DVD's just in case
    • I keep my old one in there because might as well if I still got it
    • No point to have an optical drive at this point now that there are so many alternatives
    • If you need one get it otherwise no point
  3. 3. How often do you use or find yourself needing an optical drive?

• Almost, if not everyday
    • A few times a month
    • A few times a year
    • Almost never
    • Literally never
  4. 4. Have you ever used lightscribe?

• Yes, it works great
    • Yes, it sucks
    • No, never needed to
    • No, my optical drive does not support it
    • What the h*ck is lightscribe???

Hey everyone its ya boy coming at you with the hottest new survey on everyones favorite computer part, thats right you guessed it the optical drive. Fill this out, tell your friends, share it on your favorite social media website, text it to your boss, dm it to your second cousin, mail the link to your grandmother (and call her because she'll really appreciate to just get a chance to talk to you.) Contact your local news station and state representative or your areas equivalent. This is super important as the world needs to know!

All jokes aside just curious on everyones take on the optical drive in a time when it appears it may become obsolete or potentially get a rebirth with new technology and higher capacity discs. And please do spread this around as the more people fill this out the better the results will represent how the world truly feels about the worlds loneliest computer component

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Ok question 2 was supposed to have an option that said, "Like Linus in season 5 of scrapyard wars I will fight to keep it in my computer." not sure what happened to it so I guess like this reply or hit agree if you feel that way about it (I certainly do)

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Love my lightscribe DVD writer.... Or at least I did when I used it for the last time like 6 years ago when I burned the Windows 8 Pro ISO with a "cool" lightscribed image on it, after I had bought the upgrade license for like 15$ back then on a promo.... And quickly reverted back to Windows 7 because it was awful, that was 15$ in the trash.

Seriously, my optical drive was somewhat useful when I first built my PC, but since then, it's gone pretty much unused.

Speaking of Lightscribe, it's nice and certainly a lot better than just drawing with a sharpie on the disc, but it's utter shit when you compare it to a printable disc. It's literally one color and shades of it.(better than nothing and you can make cool stuff... but... yeah)
That said, I literally have a spool of like 95 unused lightscribe DVDs left, that I bought in 2010. (pack of 100) .... I was expecting to be using a lot of discs. Turns out, I only needed 5. ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

i actually have a couple of old internal dvd writers....IF i ever need one i just use a sata to usb adapter. but i think i used it once (for someone else) in the last 5 years or so.

I have a Lite-On BluRay writer on my machine, which i paid half the price on a local store because they had it stuck for over 3 years, recently i started keeping my more important backups in BluRay discs due to low cost, availability of the discs and ease of use.

About lightscribe, right when i joined the forums i had an Asus lightscribe compatible DVD burner, i used that burner to DEATH and never used lightscribe a day in my life, never had the need to.

Also, one thing that bothers me immensely about modern PC cases is the increasing rate that 5.25' bays are disappearing from the mainstream, specially when it comes to high end cases, i think some brands should keep that as an option for the buyer.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I use a CD/DVD Internal drive as an external drive (took it from an old laptop and will connect to the PC on need).

I often only use it to rip some musics to a CD for the car, yeah I know we're on the USB era but my father and I are a bit of old school when it comes to car music and we still appreciate old fashion CDs.

And that's it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

This poll is heavily biased, which is typical of most polls on forums. In the second section, the first selection is, "Its good to have at least some way to read/write CD's or DVD's just in case." That automatically assumes everyone only uses optical drives occasionally. However, there are still a surprising number of people who still use them frequently, such as me; there is no "just in case". I buy the vast majority of my music on CD, both because CDs usually have higher quality music files than downloads, which are usually 128Kbps mp3s, and have the information that appear in the CD jackets and inserts, valuable for correctly tagging the tracks I rip (downloads are usually horribly tagged). The same holds true for movies except I do not download any movies; I only buy DVDs and BDs.

Section 3 assumes people use their optical drives at a consistent rate. Actually, that is rarely true. I tend to do my ripping in batches (I also tend to buy my music and movies in batches, especially movies when stores restock their bargain bins). I typically go a few months without doing any ripping, then rip half a dozen to a dozen but even that isn't consistent. This section would be better labeled for average usage.

Moving on, I prefer internal optical drives since they tend to be better quality, they do not take up any extra desktop space when in use, are ready to go at any time with no setup required, and are usually much faster. 

I haven't written to a disc in a few years since I do not use them for storing data, preferring SSDs and USB flash drives for that. I used to burn music discs for use in the 6 CD changer in my F150 but the changer jammed a few years ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing the changer since the radio still works and I don't travel as much as I used to. All my optical drive use is read only although I retain write capability "just in case" (also, write capable drives are usually better quality even for read only operations).

I have Light Scribe capability and liked it but I didn't use it much since it was so slow and stopped using it fairly quickly (which is a moot point since I no longer burn discs). Printable discs were not an option for me since they required ink jet printers and you couldn't even give me one of those abominations except for target practice.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I have 2 internal drives so I can read from one and write to the other directly. The reader is bkunray, but the writer is DVD only. 

I still use optical as long term storage and I like to watch 3D Blurays every now and then.

I do not use lightscribe anymore but I used it ALOT when it first came out as it was in the days of burning rental DVDs for yourself, so it was always good to make the burned DVD feel legit by inscribing an image over the whole disc. I used to print my own case covers as well.

34 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

This poll is heavily biased, which is typical of most polls on forums. In the second section, the first selection is, "Its good to have at least some way to read/write CD's or DVD's just in case." That automatically assumes everyone only uses optical drives occasionally. However, there are still a surprising number of people who still use them frequently, such as me; there is no "just in case". I buy the vast majority of my music on CD, both because CDs usually have higher quality music files than downloads, which are usually 128Kbps mp3s, and have the information that appear in the CD jackets and inserts, valuable for correctly tagging the tracks I rip (downloads are usually horribly tagged). The same holds true for movies except I do not download any movies; I only buy DVDs and BDs.

Section 3 assumes people use their optical drives at a consistent rate. Actually, that is rarely true. I tend to do my ripping in batches (I also tend to buy my music and movies in batches, especially movies when stores restock their bargain bins). I typically go a few months without doing any ripping, then rip half a dozen to a dozen but even that isn't consistent. This section would be better labeled for average usage.

Moving on, I prefer internal optical drives since they tend to be better quality, they do not take up any extra desktop space when in use, are ready to go at any time with no setup required, and are usually much faster. 

I haven't written to a disc in a few years since I do not use them for storing data, preferring SSDs and USB flash drives for that. I used to burn music discs for use in the 6 CD changer in my F150 but the changer jammed a few years ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing the changer since the radio still works and I don't travel as much as I used to. All my optical drive use is read only although I retain write capability "just in case" (also, write capable drives are usually better quality even for read only operations).

I have Light Scribe capability and liked it but I didn't use it much since it was so slow and stopped using it fairly quickly (which is a moot point since I no longer burn discs). Printable discs were not an option for me since they required ink jet printers and you couldn't even give me one of those abominations except for target practice.

Did you miss this

16 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Ok question 2 was supposed to have an option that said, "Like Linus in season 5 of scrapyard wars I will fight to keep it in my computer." not sure what happened to it so I guess like this reply or hit agree if you feel that way about it (I certainly do)

Also what is wrong with the third question? some people did say they use it almost everyday and as expected most people said a few times a year, how is that not a fair question?

Main Rig (Pulsar)

I always like o have physical disks for both music and video, so for all of my builds in the past, and the foreseeable future I will always have at least on ODD.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, MPenten said:

Law enforcements and lawyers still use CD's, so thats one way why u need an optical drive.

100 times this. I run an MSP. One of my clients is a legal firm and I've had to setup a "ripping" station for them since they've all moved to thin and light laptops/ultrabooks. I swear they get at least 4 or 5 new CDs/DVDs and the occasional BD every week. 

shouts to the floatplane gang homies who came here after the stream

Main Rig (Pulsar)

I recently bought a bunch of music CD's because I wanted to have the music and buying the singed CD's directly from the official merchandise shop was the the cheapest option. I think the digital download alternatives (from other sites) was about three times what I payed even including shipping, which was a bit less than half the cost.

So yeah it was very useful to still have a working optical drive. However, I did have a little bit of a panic/shock when I first tried to read the CD's and they all showed as empty. Turned out there was some dust on the lens. xD

My laptop has an internal Blu-Ray/CD/DVD drive, no LightScribe.

Because there isn't an answer that adequately applies to me for No. 2, I can't answer the poll.

I don't have it "just in case" I need to read/write a CD/DVD, I've written CDs a few times and I read DVDs occasionally as well.

One of the main reasons I like having it is because I still buy most of my music on CDs. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to have physical copies. They can't corrupt, it doesn't matter about losing it in a reinstall, and I like to have lots of backups of my music anyway.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I have 2 ODD drives in the parts pile collecting dust I don't throw away because...what if lol.  I have 1 Blu Ray and 1 DVD/CD RW drive in my HTPC...cause it has the space and I was able to reduce down my parts pile.  Ive actually only watched 1 Blu Ray on the drive...no point, as we stream everything.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I would keep an optical drive in my PC if my case supported it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just wrote a Linux CD for my old server, not everything supports USB booting and I gotta do something with all my old CDs or they'll all go to waste.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Wow. LightScribe.. It's been a long ass time since I used that (10+ years) is it still available with ODD? Because you needed to buy specific blank CD's/DVD's to use with it. It was handy for me back in high school for my year 12 projects in multi media, was able to create something that looked good for the DVD's I was putting my HSC projects on that wasn't a crappy printed label that can get caught in ODD.

But anyway. I have a Slim ODD from Silverstone in my build. Just a regular DVD drive, cause I still buy music CD's and would like someway to rip them.

17 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

shouts to the floatplane gang homies who came here after the stream

What live stream, what did I miss?!

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

1 minute ago, Virus__ said:

What live stream, what did I miss?!

They did a live stream to show off their "basically complete copy of youtube play button" from Bilibili, and now we're all lurking in the floatplane live chat waiting for Wan Show

Just now, ObviousFelon said:

They did a live stream to show off their "basically complete copy of youtube play button" from Bilibili, and now we're all lurking in the floatplane live chat waiting for Wan Show

Ohhh right cool. That'll be on YouTube to rewatch later as I have work shortly >_>

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Lightscribe it's been a long while someone mentions it. I do retro gaming so some disks are are used. 

Who's here from WAN show?

Main Rig (Pulsar)

I back-up my Blu-rays and DVD (and I'm not just saying that to justify pirating), compress them, and put them on my Plex server. I truly believe owning my media (TV, Movies, and Music). Also,  Blu-rays are way better quality than any streaming service and you get commentary audio tracks extras.