Chrome may soon break Ad-Blockers

Malwarebytes Anti Exploit used to shield Chrome by default, but similar changes made them stop. That by itself made many computers vulnerable while the owners think they have explout mitigations protecting their Chrome.

You can still create a custom Chrome.exe shield but thanks to these upcoming changes on Google's part, that wont work for long. When that happens IE will be safer to use than Chrome?

These changes are very anti consumer, which is typical of Google's insane management.

enters Pi-Hole

The no stresses solution that not only makes your browsing habits better but also your mobile app consumption gets better.

Get it now while they're hot.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

wonder how this will affect projects like brave browser?. if this code gets pushed to the chromium repo are they forced to use it or could they edit it out? 

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

enters Pi-Hole

The no stresses solution that not only makes your browsing habits better but also your mobile app consumption gets better.

Get it now while they're hot.

Been thinking of moving to this type of solution for a while. Would you rate it as easy to use, effective and doesn't break sites you do want to work?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

This is about it, I'm so glad people were pleased that MS were forced to adopt the chromium path.  Because another independent option is always a bad thing right?

I may be wrong but... Anyone can fork and modify an open source browser, that includes supporting a deprecated API's, I've seen that happen on other open source projects, so.....

What's even the point of that? One can make a monopoly of what they want, but that software has an open source license
This would apply only on the Google Chrome browser, and presumably into the MS one which will probably be proprietary (Chromium has a BSD license so they can do that) 

5 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

I may be wrong but... Anyone can fork and modify an open source browser, that includes supporting a deprecated API's, I've seen that happen on other open source projects, so.....

I can't, so I am limited to what's available.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

What's even the point of that? One can make a monopoly of what they want, but that software has an open source license
This would apply only on the Google Chrome browser, and presumably into the MS one which will probably be proprietary (Chromium has a BSD license so they can do that) 

well google chrome is based on an open-source browser, that being chromium. AFAIK google chrome isn't open-source.

She/Her

well i guess i'll just use FireFox then. that kinda sucks because chrome is faster in my experience... but oh well. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

well google chrome is based on an open-source browser, that being chromium. AFAIK google chrome isn't open-source.

I infact said that applies only to Google Chrome which is what the majority uses, but chromium is really close to it

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

This is about it, I'm so glad people were pleased that MS were forced to adopt the chromium path.  Because another independent option is always a bad thing right?

Did you just call Microsoft, the guys who came up with the idea of killing independent browser options an independent browser option?

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Did you just call Microsoft, the guys who came up with the idea of killing independent browser options an independent browser option?

No, I called edge an independent browser, because it is not the same a FF or chrome.  At least it was different from chrome.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So whats to stop some one from using a PiHole setup instead? Hell this goes in to affect Ill just buy a Raspberry Pi and get Pi Hole going. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

No, I called edge an independent browser, because it is not the same a FF or chrome.  At least it was different from chrome.  

It cannot be independent at all if it depends on an entity like Microsoft which is the same as Google: just trying (But unlike Google, failing) to get people into the Windows 10 ecosystem one way or another.

That is like the fucking opposite of independent.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It cannot be independent at all if it depends on an entity like Microsoft which is the same as Google: just trying (But unlike Google, failing) to get people into the Windows 10 ecosystem one way or another.

That is like the fucking opposite of independent.

You know what the word independent means don't you?  Edge was a browser independent of chromium. But now it will be written based on it it is no longer going to bee independent. Just because it was written by MS doesn't change that. We now have one less option for a browser independent of google.

Everyone is talking about "going back to Firefox" but I honestly never understood the appeal of Chrome.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Everyone is talking about "going back to Firefox" but I honestly never understood the appeal of Chrome.

Yea. I used it for a while but switched when Firefox Quantum dropped. I was shocked at how much RAM Firefox DOESN'T use compared to Chrome.

The WebExtensions crap is a different story, but at least it still allows uBlock to work...

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

People will have different reasons for switching browsers. Before moving to Chrome, I was a FF user. What made me look at moving was two fold. At the time, FF was still single threaded, so its performance sucked. Also, every version update, they moved the UI around, and I'm not sure if they're baked in or add-ins, but there were often new things I just didn't want or care about. The only reason I stuck with them so long was the FF implementation of ABP was much better than the Chrome version. It wasn't until I tried ublock origin that I found something I like as much as ABP on FF.

If ublock origin were to stop working, I'm not sure what I would do. There was the earlier suggestion of a network level block, but I'll have to see how that works in practice. I could revert back to ABP, maybe it has got better since I last used it. Likewise FF. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Im actually surprised google didnt do this a decado ago since they make most of their money from ads, im surprised it lasted this llong before they started cracking down on adblockers.

As long as we have alternative browsers we are fine , as long as chrome is OS others can build browsers without those changes patches, opera/vivaldi etc. Last resort is firefox, although its really slow and not so pleasant i despise the html5 and css all websites implemented it made the web browsing so slow.

3 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

It does seem to work better.

Hate to break it to ya

image.png.c7bde1de08b4756b14a09409e325500a.png

10 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Im actually surprised google didnt do this a decado ago since they make most of their money from ads, im surprised it lasted this llong before they started cracking down on adblockers.

As long as we have alternative browsers we are fine , as long as chrome is OS others can build browsers without those changes patches, opera/vivaldi etc. Last resort is firefox, although its really slow and not so pleasant i despise the html5 and css all websites implemented it made the web browsing so slow.

Chrome is not open source, Chromium is.

Also Firefox is not slow any more. Hasn't been since late 2017 and it's been improving since. Massive backend redesign.

37 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah, I tried Chrome for a bit and didn't like that it used so much more RAM and I didn't notice any difference in loading sites.  And everyone complaining Firefox is slow probably haven't used it in a while.

I have no clue why people use Chrome turd in the first place... It's literally the worst browser design wise and to top it up it's Google's privacy nightmare. And as predicted, they dominated the market by relentlessly pushing it and then clamping down on other ad providers, shilling only their own. Well, I hope this adblock fiasco will backfire monumentally and people will move to Firefox (and Opera). I wonder how it'll be for Opera with their integrated AdBlock...

Anyway, I've been on Opera for like 2 years and now I've returned to Firefox because it's now supporting password managers on Android. I'll stay with Firefox for sure.