Remember when EA shut down Visceral games and "pivoted" project rag tag? Now the new game is cancelled entirely.

Master Disaster

Yep, coming from good old Jason Schreier over at Kotaku it appears as though EA has cancelled it's open world star wars title entirely.

Electronic Arts has canceled its open-world Star Wars game, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the company. The game, announced alongside the shutdown of Visceral Games back in 2017, had been in development at EA’s large office in Vancouver.

EA Vancouver, a large studio that mostly handles support for a variety of the publisher’s games including FIFA and Battlefront, had been working on this open-world Star Wars game since October 2017, when EA closed Visceral Games. Until then, Visceral—best known for its popular Dead Space horror series—was developing its own Star Wars game. That project, code-named Ragtag, was a linear action-adventure game directed by Uncharted director Amy Hennig. EA Vancouver had been assisting on the project, and when EA closed Visceral Games on October 17, 2017, the Vancouver studio took it over.

After publishing the article Jason posted an update on the situation and it seems like EA decided they needed some star wars games quicker than the roadmap for this so they cancelled it in favour of smaller titles. It's possible they want something out for the launch of the next gen consoles which are rumoured to release late 2020.

UPDATE (10:17pm): Since the publication of this article, I’ve talked to several more people familiar with EA Vancouver’s now-cancelled open-world Star Wars game. This project, which was code-named Orca, was very early in development but would involve playing as a scoundrel or bounty hunter who could explore various open-world planets and work with different factions across the Star Wars universe.

When EA’s top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date for Orca, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled Orca in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that’s now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020, which also happens to be around the time that I’ve heard next-gen consoles will launch. (Might be a bit earlier; might be a bit later. From what I’ve heard, next-gen plans are definitely still in flux.)

To EA’s credit, those people said, the publisher did not lay anyone off as part of this transition. This news comes at a time of cost-cutting across the industry, at major publishers including both EA and Activision, as we’ve reported. Some at the studio also hope that Orca might be restarted after this new project is finished. 

https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-world-star-wars-game-1831786371

Typical EA, they force a studio to take on an unfamiliar project, shut them down when they can't do it and then to top it all off they cancel the game because it won't be ready in time?

Here's a hot take, perhaps if you didn't scrap it mid development and demand a full redesign then it might have been ready a little earlier.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

EA made good sports games in the 1990s, made enough money to start buying up other companies and, before their vampire nature was known, had established themselves as a major player. EA is a great business study in the value of just being a first-mover while keeping a bare minimum of quality standards, such that it doesn't always blow up in their face.

Why Disney hasn't terminated their exclusive contract to create Star Wars games is beyond me. If other studios had the ability to do it we might have actually gotten something decent and Disney wouldn't have to deal with EA dragging their brand through the mud.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Why Disney hasn't terminated their exclusive contract to create Star Wars games is beyond me. If other studios had the ability to do it we might have actually gotten something decent and Disney wouldn't have to deal with EA dragging their brand through the mud.

image.png.c9004ff8abf2cdbb071eca214ed0fe47.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just when Activision started stealing the spotlight, EA snatches it right back.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

EA the grim reaper. With the exception of DICE, just about every other studio has had their IP killed off or frankensteined beyond redemption.

They even violated Pop Cap. They just had to turn cute and fast running 2D game like Plants vs Zombies into some 3D idiocy. WHY?!

19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

They even violated Pop Cap. They just had to turn cute and fast running 2D game like Plants vs Zombies into some 3D idiocy. WHY?!

Give em a break. They brought back Dungeon Keeper for us!

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

I'd really like to see Dead Space 4

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'd really like to see Dead Space 4

One can only wish… seriously though, it’s saddening that so many amazing games got cancelled. I’m glad they didn’t get their hands on the System Shock franchise though.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

EA the grim reaper. With the exception of DICE, just about every other studio has had their IP killed off or frankensteined beyond redemption.

With Battlefront 2 and Battlefield V, I don't think it will stay that way for long.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Why the hell did Disney give them exclusive rights. Why not just work with game devs on a project by project basis allowing yourself the freedom to choose the best dev for the job.

Star Was at it's core is mythological story telling. To have the star wars IP and not make single player games is criminal. What a waste.

7 hours ago, fuzz0r said:

EA is a garbage fire.

I think "fire" is giving them too much credit, at least fire is fun to watch. EA is plain garbage.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, Humbug said:

To have the star wars IP and not make single player games is criminal.

Muh loot boxes

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

They did a 180 with Battlefront 2. And the only real problem with Battlefield V was the public overreaction to "robot arm lady" who doesn't even exist in the live game. And the lack of "historical accuracy" which no one seriously wants in an arcade shooter franchise. You can combine the playerbase of every WW1/WW2 shooter that takes their historical accuracy seriously, and still not match Battlefield.

Doesn't matter why it happened, one studio caused 2 rather big controversies, and I don't think EA is happy about it at all.

And with battlefront 2, even if the game is good now, it still angered many people to the point of legal action on lootboxes.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

And the only real problem with Battlefield V was the public overreaction to "robot arm lady" who doesn't even exist in the live game.

Why do you think that is? If you look at the paucity of content at release for skins et al, it's pretty clear they ripped out a bunch of stuff at the last minute.

ALL I WANT IS A GOOD STAR WARS GAME IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR  ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS REMASTER THE X-WING SERIES IT CAN'T BE THAT HARD I SWEAR

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

With the exception of DICE

Give it another year, BFV hasn't done so well

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

Why the hell did Disney give them exclusive rights. Why not just work with game devs on a project by project basis allowing yourself the freedom to choose the best dev for the job.

Star Was at it's core is mythological story telling. To have the star wars IP and not make single player games is criminal. What a waste.

Because the Star Wars franchise was an investment to them and they want to put as little effort into it as possible with the most payout, ergo they wanted an "experienced" game publisher with multiple studios to work on it.  On paper, it's a good idea.  EA pitched the idea basically saying "Hey, we can handle all the minutia on the technical side, distribution, marketing, etc and we have multiple studios so we can work on multiple games for you at once."  That being said I think Disney is finding out why EA is so hated by the gaming community and I would not be surprised if the exclusivity gets dropped at some point.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

Why can't Disney be like game workshop and just give away rights to bits and pieces of Star Wars lore to anyone pitching a good idea for said piece of lore and has the money to make it possible.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Because the Star Wars franchise was an investment to them and they want to put as little effort into it as possible with the most payout, ergo they wanted an "experienced" game publisher with multiple studios to work on it.  On paper, it's a good idea.  EA pitched the idea basically saying "Hey, we can handle all the minutia on the technical side, distribution, marketing, etc and we have multiple studios so we can work on multiple games for you at once."  That being said I think Disney is finding out why EA is so hated by the gaming community and I would not be surprised if the exclusivity gets dropped at some point.

Ya they could have had the same benefits of working with EA without giving them exclusive rights.

Back in the day Lucasarts used to maintain their freedom to choose the best dev for the job. So for example when they wanted a 1st/3rd person acion game they went to Raven, when they wanted an RPG they went to Bioware. The result was Jedi Knight and Knights of the Old Republic. When they wanted a Tie Fighter game they partnered with Totally games who had experience with making fun combat flight simulators. It's not rocket science.

Part of the problem seems to be that Lucasarts was a gaming company who knew Star Wars and knew how to work with game devs and get the best out of them and allocate the right projects. Disney probably doesn't know how to navigate the game industry as well, so they just take their money and hand it off to EA. And then EA damages the brand.

11 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

That being said I think Disney is finding out why EA is so hated by the gaming community and I would not be surprised if the exclusivity gets dropped at some point.

Disney would have to buy back the rights from EA for the remainder of the license term, or find some condition of the license that they could argue EA has violated and therefore voids their agreement.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987