Remember when EA shut down Visceral games and "pivoted" project rag tag? Now the new game is cancelled entirely.

Master Disaster
20 hours ago, huilun02 said:

EA the grim reaper. With the exception of DICE, just about every other studio has had their IP killed off or frankensteined beyond redemption.

It does seem like EA is trying to kill off DICE because BFV sales have apparently been worse compared to some previous titles, the game went on sale soon after release, and there should have been more weapons and maps at launch. Like what EA did with Battlefront 2, they're really drawing out the content with a few items gradually so you think you're getting something instead of making everyone pay for a premium pass, which at least forces the devs to deliver content.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

I had to laugh when I read this take on the EA situation:

https://cad-comic.com/comic/silly-654/

LITE_20190116-1.x60343.gif

I still think nothing's sadder than Max Payne lol. By that I mean the character's story. Game story is great though.

The only way they can fix this is just remaster the "Knights of the Old Republic" series with a continuation. No paid DLCs or other monetization schemes.

AND ENOUGH OF THE "IT MUST BE OPEN WORLD" BS!

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

12 hours ago, Humbug said:

Ya they could have had the same benefits of working with EA without giving them exclusive rights.

Back in the day Lucasarts used to maintain their freedom to choose the best dev for the job. So for example when they wanted a 1st/3rd person acion game they went to Raven, when they wanted an RPG they went to Bioware. The result was Jedi Knight and Knights of the Old Republic. When they wanted a Tie Fighter game they partnered with Totally games who had experience with making fun combat flight simulators. It's not rocket science.

Part of the problem seems to be that Lucasarts was a gaming company who knew Star Wars and knew how to work with game devs and get the best out of them and allocate the right projects. Disney probably doesn't know how to navigate the game industry as well, so they just take their money and hand it off to EA. And then EA damages the brand.

dear god I didn't think Raven also did Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2...

I remember them doing nice stuff like Shadowcaster and I think Heretic, Heretic2 and Hexen, and maybe that gem Soldier of Fortune 2...they put out some nice stuff back then and only a few weak games.  What happened to Raven?

3 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

AND ENOUGH OF THE "IT MUST BE OPEN WORLD" BS!

Thanks to Ubisoft I now dread seeing "open world." Unless they copy Elder Scrolls or Breath of the Wild or GTA V, all developers do anymore is clone Assassin's Creed

3 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

What happened to Raven?

Sadly, after Quake 4, they basically dissolved.  Unfortunate, too, because they were the masters of excellent single-player campaign/story telling AND kick-ass multi-player in the same title.  A very rare trait today.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

On 1/16/2019 at 11:09 PM, Humbug said:

Part of the problem seems to be that Lucasarts was a gaming company who knew Star Wars and knew how to work with game devs and get the best out of them and allocate the right projects

Back in the hay day of Lucasarts I would agree with you, but they stopped putting out good games in the mid 2000s (although I think all of LucasArts was horribly mismanaged by that point anyway.  See: The Prequels).  I was excited when Disney bought LucasArts because I wanted more Star Wars games.  While the battlefronts haven't lived up to expectations and aren't as good as the old Battlefront II, they are fun games to pop in and out of from time to time (micro transactions controversy aside, I didn't get 2018 Battlefront II until after they dropped the pay to win stuff).

I just don't see why it's so hard to give fans what they want.  But single player games aren't in EAs monetization strategy anymore it seems, which is why Disney needs to right the ship and buy their way out of exclusivity hell.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

19 hours ago, jasonvp said:

Sadly, after Quake 4, they basically dissolved.  Unfortunate, too, because they were the masters of excellent single-player campaign/story telling AND kick-ass multi-player in the same title.  A very rare trait today.

My friend used to work at Raven. He told me they overworked him too much and he wasn't getting paid enough for it, so he stopped working there. He's still in the Raven software steam group for some reason.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

He told me they overworked him too much and he wasn't getting paid enough for it, so he stopped working there.

I believe it.  I often imagine the "Raven" office map in Soldier of Fortune II was done as a gag by the overworked employees there.  Kinda like a hidden message to their management...

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Just now, jasonvp said:

I believe it.  I often imagine the "Raven" office map in Soldier of Fortune II was done as a gag by the overworked employees there.  Kinda like a hidden message to their management...

I honestly don't really know how they're still in business, probably CoD.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

On 1/16/2019 at 4:43 AM, huilun02 said:

EA the grim reaper. With the exception of DICE, just about every other studio has had their IP killed off or frankensteined beyond redemption.

I'd say you can add DICE to that list as well.

Both Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Battlefield V have been dumpster fires so far.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:43 AM, huilun02 said:

DICE isn't far from it.

It will hurt to see the Battlefield series end, but at this point I'd rather see it end than see another BFV.

We really need a wave of talented, passionate developers to refuse to ever partner with a publishing company. If only crowd funding were more viable.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I just replayed Dead Space 1 and despite its slightly aged graphics the game still holds up very well. It has an atmosphere and story to it that just keeps pulling you back in despite the fear of when you're about to get jumped around the corner. It's too bad that the direction of the series went more action/mainstream vs the original solo horror. There's a cool video featuring one of the Dead Space creators, Glen Schofield that really shows the passion they put into making the first game. If that original team had been able to pursue what they wanted without interference we might have a Dead Space 4 by now, or have had a better Dead Space 3.

4 hours ago, Jackson said:

I just replayed Dead Space 1 and despite its slightly aged graphics the game still holds up very well. It has an atmosphere and story to it that just keeps pulling you back in despite the fear of when you're about to get jumped around the corner. It's too bad that the direction of the series went more action/mainstream vs the original solo horror. There's a cool video featuring one of the Dead Space creators, Glen Schofield that really shows the passion they put into making the first game. If that original team had been able to pursue what they wanted without interference we might have a Dead Space 4 by now, or have had a better Dead Space 3.

Dead Space is still a really impressive game. It's a shame that the reason we won't see another one is EA not taking their own advice.

micro610.jpg

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |