Apple is charging $300 for replacement to fix iPhone 7 microphone malfunction affecting iOS 11.3 or later

Speedyv
26 minutes ago, Ertman said:

I know right! Apple should just do what Android manufacturers do, EOL the phones and leave the customers SOL.

When its that (and installing a custom ROM) vs defects normally only found in dirt cheap phones.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Speedyv said:

The iPhone 7 was released in September 16, 2016, making this phone just over two years old. However many iPhone 7s have been made mostly obsolete at no fault of the owners due to a major malfunction that has taken away all ability to use the microphone (for calls, facetime, etc.)

This is nothing new with apple, because they purposely slowed down billions of phones because of their greed.

9 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

This is nothing new with apple, because they purposely slowed down billions of phones because of their greed.

It goes to the core of their belief, rip off customers and hide, then confuse everyone and it will go away.

3 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

so pay $300, whats the big deal? its apple after all

I know right, I mean how much is that phone anyways, like $2500 in the end. You have to pay $300-$400 upfront, plus another $80/m for 2 yrs, so yeah $2500 is about right. I wish I could sell some oceanfront property in Nevada like Apple does.

Apple has no morals.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

That isn't hard....

I mean most third-party repair places should be able to microsolder. I think it's hard for your average consumer.

57 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I thought that was either a case of the battery running out quickly or the phone being slower. Personally, I'd prefer a longer lasting battery. The malicious part to that story was how Apple clearly did not disclose they were throttling performance, I'm not okay with them withholding that information.

5 hours ago, Speedyv said:

However many iPhone 7s have been made mostly obsolete at no fault of the owners due to a major malfunction that has taken away all ability to use the microphone (for calls, facetime, etc.)

The article said 'some iPhone 7s', not trying to criticize but was just wondering what the failure rate actually is. I'm currently using an iPhone 7, I've had no problems with it so far but this is also the first I've heard of this so I'm wondering if I should expect to run into this issue too.

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

confusedmathlady.png

Can you rollback to an older iOS version to see if that fixes it, or does it not let you install an older iOS version?

Usually once Apple releases the latest iOS version they stop signing the older versions so trying to install them will just fail. It's a big oof in the jailbreaking community, but I just use mine stock so I don't really mind, I'd get a good Android phone if I wanted to tweak the OS.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

confusedmathlady.png

Can you rollback to an older iOS version to see if that fixes it, or does it not let you install an older iOS version?

You can't role back to a previous version of iOS unless the IPSW file is signed in iTunes. Apple usually delisted older IPSW files from being used in iTunes. You can currently only successful flash 12.1 and 12.1.1 in iTunes. Other versions will refuse to flash.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

ill still be getting this free from my store for 5 years after release (or purschase, not shure). you know, because my country actually has good consumer protections. 

so would downgrading work?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

ill still be getting this free from my store for 5 years after release (or purschase, not shure). you know, because my country actually has good consumer protections. 

I'm predicting it won't be long before apple and google are both in hot water with the ACCC with regard to 3rd party apps that have to be re purchased if you switch from apple to google, on top of the hardware and repair debacle that is apple at the moment.  Even in Australia with world leading CL, apple think it's o.k to insist that the screen on an Ipad costs as much to sell/replace as the it does to manufacture the whole damn thing.   Most of these limitations are artificial and set in place to trap the consumer into purchasing more than they should have to.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Old news then. I have an iPhone 7 and 11.3 was long gone, onto 12.1.1. Never had microphone issue. 

But still good from Apple, and I'm not just fanboying here, which I do a lot. 

Acknowledged the issue when it came about --> Gave away a fix for free (Which was a whole new phone!) for 2-3 months, by then users affected would have noticed --> Still offering discounted fix after this time period. 

This just isn't a widespread issue and has already been dealt with IMO. 

ok so if I were affected by it I would have noticed by now?

She/Her

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Most of these limitations are artificial and set in place to trap the consumer into purchasing more than they should have to.

Consumer protections here are lined up in a way that makes it easy for a store clerk, aka genius, to trick you. Without knowing the specifics of the consumer protections you are likely to get scammed regardless of how persistant you are. Not to mention how a genius can bluff to counter the customer wanting their roghtfull free repair

https://www.forbrukerradet.no/cause-for-complaint/

Some details though not direct from the laws themselves. See them as extracts provided by the consumercounsil.

Turns out they can offer you a discount or money-back if they cant repair the device.

Dang! And I thought that my iPhone 7 was the bee’s knees... I guess Apple has to boost their iPhone XS/XR sales somehow...The iPhone 7 was just too good for the price...

Yet people keep buying their products. If people would stop worshiping everything they do then this crap wouldn't happen.

14 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

That sucks for owners of the iPhone 7. Apple should extend the repair program out but if people still don't take advantage of it that is kinda on them. 

Completely disagree, but I see why you could think that. If they've made the device brick because of an update, I don't see how you can think it's fair for them to charge people for it. They broke the perfectly functioning device, not the user. 

I smell a class action lawsuit.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Completely disagree, but I see why you could think that. If they've made the device brick because of an update, I don't see how you can think it's fair for them to charge people for it. They broke the perfectly functioning device, not the user. 

I smell a class action lawsuit.

if mine gets fucked over by them i'm screwed because i didn't buy directly from apple or a carrier .-.

my opinion is worthless but i'm going to give it anyway because this is the internet

1 minute ago, Azerafel said:

if mine gets fucked over by them i'm screwed because i didn't buy directly from apple or a carrier .-.

store you bought it from should be able to return it to manufacturer and they are then responsible for that part of the Job.

or at least that is how it would work here. you dont need to buy directly from manufacturer to get full consumer coverage. then again i dont know where you are from and your situation could be different. recommend reading what you consumer protections say against device design flaws etc

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

store you bought it from should be able to return it to manufacturer and they are then responsible for that part of the Job.

or at least that is how it would work here. you dont need to buy directly from manufacturer to get full consumer coverage. then again i dont know where you are from and your situation could be different. recommend reading what you consumer protections say against device design flaws etc

Not sure how it works if I bought it used from a third party. My guess is I have no legitimate claim against Apple.

my opinion is worthless but i'm going to give it anyway because this is the internet

15 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

if people still don't take advantage of it that is kinda on them. 

What part of the article suggests to you that that's the case? The program was briefly extended and if your phone got the issue after the end of that program, is that your fault? Also, since Apple clearly doesn't know what is causing this or is unable to fix it permanently due to a design flaw, the replacement phones are just as likely to suffer from the same issue a few months down the line.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

What part of the article suggests to you that that's the case?

Oh I was referring to the hypothetical case that Apple would extend the program again. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, Azerafel said:

Not sure how it works if I bought it used from a third party. My guess is I have no legitimate claim against Apple.

I assume you are from the US? You should still have a claim against them, it's an apple product and apple bricked it. Assuming the 3rd party seller is legit, take it back to them and if they go "well apple" then go after apple and add ur name to that sweet class action.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

28 minutes ago, Azerafel said:

third part as in retailer,

or third party as in used. 

if it is not a refurb from retailer you can just tell them and they will handle it and send it back to apple or whatever they end up doing

14 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

They must be holding it wrong. 

You're Supposed to hold it with your *Insert completely stupid body part*

✨FNIGE✨

19 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Yet people keep buying their products. If people would stop worshiping everything they do then this crap wouldn't happen.

I don't buy their products for the Apple logo. I buy them for the software.

She/Her