Apple is charging $300 for replacement to fix iPhone 7 microphone malfunction affecting iOS 11.3 or later

Speedyv

Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/12/17/iphone-7-microphone-defect/

The iPhone 7 was released in September 16, 2016, making this phone just over two years old. However many iPhone 7s have been made mostly obsolete at no fault of the owners due to a major malfunction that has taken away all ability to use the microphone (for calls, facetime, etc.)

Apple's only current solution is to offer a refurbished iPhone 7 replacement to customers for over $300 with no guarantee that the replacement won't come down with the same issue. Prior to that Apple offered free repairs for just 2-3 months between May to July 2018. It's still not completely clear whether this is a software or hardware issue though some people claim that updating (to iOS later than 11.3) caused the issue. It still remains a problem after the newest iOS 12.1.1 update. 

In May of 2018, Apple acknowledged a microphone issue affecting some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models running iOS 11.3 or later in an internal document made available to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers. MacRumors obtained the document from a reliable source earlier this year. 

An excerpt from Apple's document:

Some customers might report that after they've updated to iOS 11.3, the microphone on their iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus doesn't work and the speaker button is grayed out when they make or receive a call. 

Symptoms: 
- The speaker button is grayed out during calls 
- Other people are unable to hear the customer on cellular or FaceTime calls 
- If a customer plays back a video or voice memo that they've made after installing iOS 11.3, there is no sound

Apple's document then provided troubleshooting steps for its service providers to follow, including disconnecting any Bluetooth headsets or accessories connected to the iPhone. If the issue persisted, and the iPhone was out-of-warranty, Apple advised service providers to "request a warranty exception" with the company. 

For a short time, Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers were able to proceed with repairs at no cost to the customer. 

The exemptions abruptly ended in July of 2018, though, when Apple deleted its internal document related to the microphone issue and prevented free repairs from being processed through its service portal. Since then, many Apple retail and support employees have refused to acknowledge the policy ever existed. 

The microphone issue appears to remain a problem as of iOS 12.1.1, but Apple's document never identified a cause. Based on the number of users affected, it is almost certainly a hardware defect, so it's unclear why Apple is no longer offering free repairs and forcing customers to pay out of pocket for a fix. 

Apple's out-of-warranty repair fee for this issue is over $300 in the United States, according to affected customers on the MacRumors forums and Twitter. iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices still within Apple's limited one-year warranty period or covered by AppleCare+ remain eligible for a free repair. 

"I had this issue a month ago and paid $349 for a replacement," said one MacRumors reader in an email. "Two weeks ago my brother in law started having the same issue with his iPhone 7 Plus and today my wife's iPhone 7 started doing the same thing. It's a new phone and barely 15 months old." 

"Unfortunately, I like hundreds have been told by Apple that 'we don't know what you're talking about,' and Apple wants $319 to send me a refurbished phone that they can't tell me won't have the same problem," another reader emailed. 

The original article about the issue and Apple's acknowledgement of the issue in May 2018: 

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/05/04/apple-aware-of-iphone-7-mic-issue-ios-11-3/

System: Thinkpad T460

pppft
that's ridiculous.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, Speedyv said:

Repair of the Audio IC requires microsoldering just FYI

I did not know that. 

9 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

It's a new phone and barely 15 months old."

confusedmathlady.png

Some customers might report that after they've updated to iOS 11.3, the microphone on their iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus doesn't work and the speaker button is grayed out when they make or receive a call.

Can you rollback to an older iOS version to see if that fixes it, or does it not let you install an older iOS version?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

$300? For a f*****g microphone?! 

This is why I have an Android.

You can buy a used 7 Plus for $300 so for even that sort of repair it's an insane price.

Just now, 1kv said:

You can buy a used 7 Plus for $300.

PREACH

AndroidMasterMobileRace

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

You can buy a used 7 Plus for $300 so for even that sort of repair it's an insane price.

The fix that Apple is offering is a replacement refurbished iPhone 7 for $300+

2 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

The fix that is Apple is offering is a replacement refurbished iPhone 7 for $300+

That's fair enough but ehh, I'd rather not spend $300 on a replacement phone that could potentially have the same issue in the future. 

Also I find it funny how it's $300+. Kinda rings alarm bells in my head since they could charge you more than $300 and you wouldn't notice.

Its cheaper just to trade in the iPhone 7 and then buy the New XR. WTH?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

16 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

Prior to that Apple offered free repairs for just 2-3 months between May to July 2018.

Old news then. I have an iPhone 7 and 11.3 was long gone, onto 12.1.1. Never had microphone issue. 

But still good from Apple, and I'm not just fanboying here, which I do a lot. 

Acknowledged the issue when it came about --> Gave away a fix for free (Which was a whole new phone!) for 2-3 months, by then users affected would have noticed --> Still offering discounted fix after this time period. 

This just isn't a widespread issue and has already been dealt with IMO. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Old news then. I have an iPhone 7 and 11.3 was long gone, onto 12.1.1. Never had microphone issue. 

Acknowledged the issue when it came about --> Gave away a fix for free (Which was a whole new phone!) for 2-3 months, by then users affected would have noticed --> Still offering discounted fix after this time period. 

Its good that they are charging to fix a $300 defect?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Except for the simple fact that it still continues to affect people and their solution is a new phone prone to the same issue.

And Apple refuses to address what causes the issue and the issue itself.

If that's all good for you just hope it doesn't affect your phone. 

19 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

A free fix that was only for 2-3 months,it should still be a free replacement, or even better give people affected by it an upgrade to an iPhone 8. Most people aren't following these issues, and it really hasn't been dealt with when they will only offer you a used phone for $300 which could still have the defective audio IC.

19 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

IT'S A FEATURE!

"They're using it wrong"

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

25 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its good that they are charging to fix a $300 defect?

Not good, but they addressed it months ago and did not charge for quite a while. $300 is a fair price, you get a refurbished phone with a brand new warranty. 

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A free fix that was only for 2-3 months,it should still be a free replacement, or even better give people affected by it an upgrade to an iPhone 8. Most people aren't following these issues, and it really hasn't been dealt with when they will only offer you a used phone for $300 which could still have the defective audio IC.

The 2-3 month period was for out of warranty iPhones, if the iPhone is still within the 1-2 year free Apple Warranty, or in Applecare then it is still fixed for free. No company has to even think about fixing their products that are out of warranty for free.

1 hour ago, Speedyv said:

Repair of the Audio IC requires microsoldering just FYI

That isn't hard....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

That sucks for owners of the iPhone 7. Apple should extend the repair program out but if people still don't take advantage of it that is kinda on them. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I guess their reasoning is "Hey it's less than 1000 for a new phone which you should be buying by now so don't complain you plebs" *laughs in capitalism*

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That sucks for owners of the iPhone 7. Apple should extend the repair program out but if people still don't take advantage of it that is kinda on them. 

i didn't know about it... 

She/Her

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Not good, but they addressed it months ago and did not charge for quite a while. $300 is a fair price, you get a refurbished phone with a brand new warranty. 

The 2-3 month period was for out of warranty iPhones, if the iPhone is still within the 1-2 year free Apple Warranty, or in Applecare then it is still fixed for free. No company has to even think about fixing their products that are out of warranty for free.

And without the problem actually fixed.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

PREACH

AndroidMasterMobileRace

I know right! Apple should just do what Android manufacturers do, EOL the phones and leave the customers SOL.