Amazon robot sprays workers with bear mace, 24 sent to hospital

Syntaxvgm

A robot at an Amazon warehouse in New Jersey punctured a bear mace can, causing the warehouse to be filled with capsaican. 24 sent were sent to the hospital, one it critical condition. 30 additional workers were "treated on site", likely after having their first piss break in hours. 

image.png.a89a60d4b410439b7795cd6f8d6d3de4.png

“Today at our Robbinsville fulfillment center, a damaged aerosol can dispensed strong fumes in a contained area of the facility. The safety of our employees is our top priority, and as such, all employees in that area have been relocated to safe place and employees experiencing symptoms are being treated onsite. As a precaution, some employees have been transported to local hospitals for evaluation and treatment,” an Amazon spokeswoman told ABC News in a statement.

I wonder if this will lead to any additional rules regarding what kind of hazardous materials Amazon is willing to sell?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/24-amazon-workers-hospital-bear-repellent-accident/story?id=59625712

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Man... Bear mace makes me think of "Shark Repellent" from the Adam West Batman movie from the 60's 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

A robot at an Amazon warehouse in New Jersey punctured a bear mace can, causing the warehouse to be filled with capsaican. 24 sent were sent to the hospital, one it critical condition. 30 additional workers were "treated on site", likely after having their first piss break in hours. 

image.png.8cf9a799435f9261ab5b22fde53406d9.png

I wonder if this will lead to any additional rules regarding what kind of hazardous materials Amazon is willing to sell?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/24-amazon-workers-hospital-bear-repellent-accident/story?id=59625712

Unless there was a allergic reaction or the can exploded he got hit with shrapnel I just don't see how someone was in critical condition from this.

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Man... Bear mace makes me think of "Shark Repellent" from the Adam West Batman movie from the 60's 

makes me think of dog the bounty hunter

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Unless there was a allergic reaction or the can exploded he got hit with shrapnel I just don't see how someone was in critical condition from this.

likely someone asthmatic. Keep in mind, it wasn't getting sprayed with it for anyone really close, it was the entire can becoming airborne at once. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

likely someone asthmatic. Keep in mind, it wasn't getting sprayed with it for a couple close, it was the entire can becoming airborne at once. 

If you can't stand to be hit with a can of mace you probably shouldn't leave your house.... like ever.

36 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If you can't stand to be hit with a can of mace you probably shouldn't leave your house.... like ever.

Most can't stand it, that's what it's for.

muh specs 

All parts black

22 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

What type of logic is that lol. Mace was design to incapacitate someone. That's like telling someone that if they can't stand up while being hit with a taser you shouldn't go outside. 

Edited by Brooksie359
Autocorrect back at it again.

So robots aren't WHMIS trained.. lol. Literally the rules of almost every workplace here in Canada.

Maybe those robots should pass those first.

/s

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

8 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Google images of chemical burns then get back to us....

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

What type of logic is that lol. Mace was design to incapacitate someone. That's like telling someone that if they can't stand up while being hit with a Razer you shouldn't go outside. 

It exist to burn like hell and take the fight out of someone. It isn't to incapacitate, it is to dissuade further problem actions.

A razor can kill you. Mace is a non-lethal item.

i guess these robots were not programmed to follow the 3 rules of robotics

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

6 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

It exist to burn like hell and take the fight out of someone. It isn't to incapacitate, it is to dissuade further problem actions.

just curious-

-have you ever breathed mace, even indirectly as the sprayer?

-do you think you shouldn't be able to "leave the house" because inhaling a whole airborne can of this crap make you unable to breathe?

They had to air out the entire warehouse

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

the problem is:

first it was designed for bears not humans

also it wasnt a short spray it was a whole can which could get all over them and into their lungs and stuff

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

Oh boy, an entire can of any chemical being explosively ejected into the air has the ability to cause serious injury. It can range from respiratory problems through breathing in a large quantity to chemical burns right up to injury through shrapnel.

Also you spray the wrong person with any incapacitation spray and you can kill them. Allergies or underlying medical conditions are real concerns.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

As someone who has been voluntary maced and tazed, it hurts like a bitch but nothing I close to hospitalized. 

Mace did slow me down but I wasnt incapacitated and the breathing wasnt like gasping for air. 

I feel like this can exploded more than just opened and there were physical injuries from shrapnel 

This is from: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/238262.php

Capsaicin is an inflammatory agent in the oil. This is the same chemical that adds the characteristic heat to chilli peppers. However, capsaicin is present in pepper spray at a much higher concentration.

The heat of a bell pepper measures 0 on the Scoville Heat Units scale, which is used to measure the "heat" of peppers. A jalapeño pepper scores 2,500 to 5,000 on the same scale.

The heat of pepper spray, however, ranges from 2 million units in commercial pepper sprays, marketed for use in self-defense, to 5.3 million Scoville units for police-issue spray.

This same ingredient also forms the basis of bear spray, which reduces attacks during human encounters with bears.

However, the concentration of capsaicin in bear spray is only 1 to 2 percent. Pepper sprays used in law enforcement reportedly have a capsaicin content of between 10 and 30 percent.

As a result, its deployment has often been controversial, particularly when civilian protestors experience pepper spray use, such as during the Occupy Wall Street protests of 2011.

Authorities classify pepper spray as a riot-control agent. Article I.5 of the Chemical Weapons Convention bans its use in war.

I check out the bold text in Red. This particular spray is much LESS potent than that of law enforcement and what you can generally buy in a store.

I check out the bold text in Red. This particular spray is much LESS potent than that of law enforcement and what you can generally buy in a store.

Shit sends people to the hospital all the time

http://vocm.com/news/students-sent-to-hospital-after-bear-spray-reportedly-used-in-altercation/

And that's with people who are briefly hit, and can breathe normal air after, and may have it on their clothes or skin, which is enough to cause breathing problems.

now imagine all the air you breath is bear mace for several seconds or longer, until they could get away which is hard to do when you can't breathe. Every single breath is more mace. They had to air out the entire place for reason. If 24 people were sent tot he hospital, and more than 50 were hit, this was a large area where every breath was bear mace. Have you ever been near a chemical leak in an enclosed space? I've been exposed to stuff that's way less harsh and it was still very, very bad. Hard to run when you can't breathe. I imagine they couldn't see either.

The MIGHT send some people to the hospital if a regular spray send s people to the hospital as well?

muh specs 

All parts black

Do you even know that the word incapacitate means........

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

And? So the guy in a critical condition was stood right next to it and took a huge lungful.

It's pretty simple, you're not a medic and you don't know what happened so you cannot say that nobody can be seriously injured.

Mechanism of injury is it's own very complex subject that experts spend years training in.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Do you even know that the word incapacitate means........

9B642927-5C96-451C-8C5B-7F4F5AED81D5.jpeg

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I was thinking to myself "damn that's a hell of a title" but sure enough, it happened

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

just curios-

-have you ever breathed mace, even indirectly as the sprayer?

-do you think you shouldn't be able to "leave the house" because inhaling a whole airborne can of this crap make you unable to breathe? 

I have been hit with Mace before. Was actually when I was younger at a protest. My eyes wouldn't stop watering, my nose wouldn't stop running, it burned where it contacted my skin and it made my throat itchy so I coughed a decent bit.

That being said the bear mace is MUCH weaker than what law enforcement uses or even what you can normally buy as a civilian.

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh boy, an entire can of any chemical being explosively ejected into the air has the ability to cause serious injury. It can range from respiratory problems through breathing in a large quantity to chemical burns right up to injury through shrapnel.

Also you spray the wrong person with any incapacitation spray and you can kill them. Allergies or underlying medical conditions are real concerns.

Chemical burns would be very very very unlikely. Irritation yes, burns no. Yes, you would definitely be coughing your ass off in this stuff, but covering your face with say your shirt and getting to fresh air would solve that problem.

They said this can was punctured and not that it exploded. If it exploded that would be a cause of critical injury if shrapnel was present.

Things like asthma or an allergic reaction could cause issues. I think an allergic reaction would be the most serious. Then again any emergency response vehicle should have an epi-pen and/or a nebulizer.

I just think someone being in "critical" condition from this is highly unlikely.