Amazon robot sprays workers with bear mace, 24 sent to hospital

Syntaxvgm
4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I wasn't aware that I did that either. As I rather enjoy that part of the anatomy, I don't know why I would go around calling other people that. Doesn't seem like much of an insult to me.

You basically called them an invalid. 

I like how your title insinuated that the great battle has begun with Robots taking a giant 24 point lead(with 30 additional assist points pending) from the start; rather than the machine puncturing a can cause its a daffy POS causing all the squishy meatsacks to uncontrollably writhe in agony.

I understand that people want to point the finger at amazon here, but may want to take a moment and consider blaming Stephen Colbert for constantly buying bear repellent instead.

@FPSwithaWacomTablet raises an interesting thought bring up WHIMS.  People do have to be trained to handle chemicals, perhaps there should be some special considerations for when machines handling them as well.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

You basically called them an invalid. 

The fact you are taking half of what I am saying today seriously is the problem. This is a very comical topic imo, so I am just having fun with it.

20 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Fulfillment ~ Enrichment

Bear spray ~ Neurotoxin

?

glados.png.2d6680bcbbe1b071b347251fa161ad51.png

this is way better than my pic

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

The fact you are taking half of what I am saying today seriously is the problem. This is a very comical topic imo, so I am just having fun with it.

Yeah I guess I don't think calling someone unfit to go outside because they were sent to the hospital by a can of mace exploding in front if then funny. It didn't seem like much if a joke tbh. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah I guess I don't think calling someone unfit to go outside because they were sent to the hospital by a can of mace exploding in front if then funny. It didn't seem like much if a joke tbh. 

If I woke up in the morning and I knew my day involved bear mace I'd stay home, just sayin

/s

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

likely someone asthmatic. Keep in mind, it wasn't getting sprayed with it for anyone really close, it was the entire can becoming airborne at once. 

The entire can becoming airborne is called a rocket.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Punctured from the article meaning there was no shrapnel. I just think this article has been vastly exaggerated which is normally the case.

Puny humans meatbags should know better than to tempt their betters. Long live robot master race.

damn, reading the title i thought the thing had a can of bear spray in it's robotic arm & went chasing after people on its wheels spraying them. it's an f'n accidental puncture .

Details separate people.

I just think this article has been vastly exaggerated

24 hospitalized, 1 critically, 30 additional people affected... IDK if exaggerating is being done here, its already pretty bad on its own.

Punctured from the article meaning there was no shrapnel. I just think this article has been vastly exaggerated which is normally the case.

I think it's a little of both. A lot of people were affected by the large airborne spicy spray, one possibly had an allergic reaction and has a tube to breathe, union goes
"YOU COULD HAVE KILLED 80 PEOPLE"!
This doesn't sounds like robot negligence. Pretty sure it was one of these

image.thumb.png.fa665e8fd43837bae4ced0132433bfa0.pngor maybe a pallet mover. The "no dangerous robots" version of this is a forklift puncturing like 10 of these by skewering a pallet of them 

muh specs 

All parts black

I think the next robotic accident should be this:

Household Roomba's dropping legos at night instead of vacuuming. Hundreds dead from sharp pain in the foot while making a bathroom run at night.

Have you ever stepped on a lego? Worst pain known to man.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Yeah I have.  I've also stepped on a rusted nail that went all the way through my foot.  stepping on Legos, though far from pleasant, pale in comparison.

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

Yeah I have.  I've also stepped on a rusted nail that went all the way through my foot.  stepping on Legos, though far from pleasant, pale in comparison.

I sliced off the end of a finger and had to get it sewed back on... prefer that over the damn legos

1 minute ago, Arokhantos said:

So robots aren't perfect for everything who would have thought about that ?

Looks like they are getting closer to being able to handle population control.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

I think the next robotic accident should be this:

Household Roomba's dropping legos at night instead of vacuuming. Hundreds dead from sharp pain in the foot while making a bathroom run at night.

5 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I sliced off the end of a finger and had to get it sewed back on... prefer that over the damn legos

I once dropped a box of thumb tacs. I didn't find them all, but my friend managed to step on every single one of them over time.

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

It exist to burn like hell and take the fight out of someone. It isn't to incapacitate, it is to dissuade further problem actions.

A razor can kill you. Mace is a non-lethal item.

Non-lethal my Aunt Fanny! Read here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2016/03/16/lethal-in-disguise-the-health-hazards-of-pepper-spray/#2a1ccbf72979

Keep in mind these people receive the entire contents of the can at once in a more concentrated form that had it be merely sprayed on them. Something that is able to drive off a bear from a distance is going to do a lot of damage tto a human. Where I live, using bear spray against a human is legally treated the same as using a gun (I got to speak to a lot of cops when I worked third shift at a convenience store).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Non-lethal my Aunt Fanny! Read here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2016/03/16/lethal-in-disguise-the-health-hazards-of-pepper-spray/#2a1ccbf72979

Keep in mind these people receive the entire contents of the can at once in a more concentrated form that had it be merely sprayed on them. Something that is able to drive off a bear from a distance is going to do a lot of damage tto a human. Where I live, using bear spray against a human is legally treated the same as using a gun (I got to speak to a lot of cops when I worked third shift at a convenience store).

The same can be said for any Mace though(Treated like other weapons). If you keep reading you will see that bear mace and other civilian purchasable mace is much weaker than what the police and military have access to. Police mace can be 15-30X stronger.

Also bear mace isn't stronger than other civilian sprays it just has the ability to be projected a farther distance. Point of fact regulations on these types of items are more stringent for animals than they are for humans most of the time.

I be this will be the next terrorist plot.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

If you can't stand to be hit with a can of mace you probably shouldn't leave your house.... like ever.

Haha, oy. So, the LD50 of capsaicin is 150mg/kg - 170mg/kg in rats. It's generally close to the same in humans.

Say the can was 225g. At 1%, that's 2.25g. 2%, 4.5g If the person was 66kg, the LD50 is 10g. Now, this is just an estimate. Maybe they were 100 pounds. In which case they're very close to the LD50, and it would be considered a medically serious event. Maybe they have other conditions. Maybe they fell when trying to get away from it, and were injured that way.

It exist to burn like hell and take the fight out of someone. It isn't to incapacitate, it is to dissuade further problem actions.

A razor can kill you. Mace is a non-lethal item.

Nothing's non-lethal. Water is lethal.

I have been hit with Mace before.

It wasn't an entire can all at once though, now was it?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is the first, and possibly only, time that I'll mark a TN OP as funny... and I'm loving it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 robot arm sent 24 people to the hospital. Imagine, a human robot can send how many people to the hospital. 

9 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh boy, an entire can of any chemical being explosively ejected into the air has the ability to cause serious injury. It can range from respiratory problems through breathing in a large quantity to chemical burns right up to injury through shrapnel.

Also you spray the wrong person with any incapacitation spray and you can kill them. Allergies or underlying medical conditions are real concerns.

Oh stop with the chemical fear. No, a can of ANY chemical being explosively ejected into the air does not have the ability to cause serious injury (unless you're talking about the can itself hitting someone.)

A can of nitrogen? Nope, won't hurt you unless it hits you. A can of oxygen? Nope, no injury there. A can of water? Nope, won't hurt you. Can of mineral oil? Nope, won't hurt you.

Chemicals aren't bad. Stop fear-mongering. 

Signed: A chemist.