Microsoft introduces New Office icons

an iconic refresh

1*k3I0rXtvYVxw_TQIpjAFxA.jpeg

Microsoft has revealed all-new Office 365 app icons with bolder, lighter hues, combined with simplistic visuals and instantly recognizable symbols. each icon was designed to decouple the individual letters and symbols to maintain familiarity while keeping a focus on simplicity. Depicted as Human-centered designs that emphasize content and reflect the speed of modern life

The new icon designs for Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Skype, Teams and more, will be pushed out to nearly one billion Office users across the world over the next few months, replacing the existing icons which were released in 2013.

1*Y12LiOMu-9R9WZrvkh7HXQ.png

Microsoft tends to update the look of its Office icons every three to five years. the company last changed its design way back in 2013.

We also used gestalt principles to further emphasize key product changes. Simplicity and harmony are key visual elements that reflect the seamless connectivity and intuitiveness of Office apps. While each icon has a unique and identifiable symbol, there are connections within each app’s symbol and the collective suite.

msoff.thumb.jpg.9e61d716a8516bdb83ccd172661fc316.jpg

new faces

Our design solution was to decouple the letter and the symbol in the icons, essentially creating two panels (one for the letter and one for the symbol) that we can pair or separate. This allows us to maintain familiarity while still emphasizing simplicity inside the app.

Separating these into two panels also adds depth, which sparks opportunities in 3D contexts. Through this flexible system, we keep tradition alive while gently pushing the envelope.

The new icon designs for Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Skype, Teams and more, will be pushed out to nearly one billion Office users across the world over the next few months, replacing the existing icons which were released in 2013.

1*W50NwOOybw55ePEwe97zpg.jpeg

We all know modern life is faster and more connected: we’re living in it. Office supports this by making it fast and easy to express ideas, collaborate with others, and stay focused and in the flow.

To reflect this in the icons, we removed a visual boundary: the traditional tool formatting. Whereas prior Office icons had a document outline for Microsoft Word and a spreadsheet outline for Excel, we now show lines of text for Word and individual cells for Excel. By focusing on the content rather than any specific format, these icons embody the collaborative nature of the apps they represent.

1813684453_msoff2.thumb.jpg.90b5bfc8a0926c3223b89d38cc36b6ea.jpg

1*NkOnTNlO2pp_OI3_Zy7dnQ.png

In my opinion this does look very refreshing & new. although a bit bold & opaque , it seems light & open & inviting at the same time , What do you guys think of these designs? leave a comment down below.

Source:

main>

https://news.microsoft.com/europe/2018/11/29/say-hello-to-microsofts-new-office-icons/

https://medium.com/microsoft-design/redesigning-the-office-app-icons-to-embrace-a-new-world-of-work-91d72608ee8f

news outlets >

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsofts-redesigned-office-icons-signal-big-changes-tech-giant-171004075.html

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-gets-new-office-icons-meh-at-best/

Details separate people.

1 minute ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

leave a comment down below.

The latest patch for Windows wipes data, corrupts things, and generally makes a hash of your OS, and their solution is to make new icons?

This is called "polishing brass on the Titanic"

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

finally my word logo wont look like an empty book

it looks like one of those paint samplers at home depot instead!

thanks Microsoft!

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

finally my word logo wont look like an empty book

it looks like one of those paint samplers at home depot instead!

thanks Microsoft!

Yeah, by making the text portion smaller, identification becomes more dependent on shape and color.  So, why is the Outlook icon the same shape AND color as Word?!

Art people just failed industrial design.

They look alright. I don't mind them but they are becoming quite apple-esque in their design language. I prefer the 2000, 2007 and 2010 type design tbh. Sometimes I wish it was 2011.

And from this announcement, it looks like Microsoft is planning to change Windows icons as well.

Notice also, on the Start menu, the removal of the background square on the All App list.

From the video:

new-windows-10-icons-3.thumb.png.c9626f607454c1d0e82e1b3aa4064279.png

Notice the File Explorer icon, News app, Calculator app, Calendar, Photos and Teams icons.

i am sure they are still in the works and will reveal once done. But nice to see some color, and allow the icons to be more identifiable to quickly, well, identify apps.

1 minute ago, Blasteque said:

Yeah, by making the text portion smaller, identification becomes more dependent on shape and color.  So, why is the Outlook icon the same shape AND color as Word?!

Art people just failed industrial design.

cant mistake that envelope tho, people will get used to the shape difference & go for the right logo naturally  .  even when placed side by side at low res there is a visible difference in shape to not mistakenly go for the other.

Details separate people.

Wow ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Ew. I really don't like these. 2016 logos were the best IMO.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

the reason they make a big deal out of this is because if they said nothing NOBODY would have even noticed 

1 minute ago, Johners said:

You do understand that large companies can have multiple departments and teams that work on different products, right?

Oh fully, but if your patching is such a Charlie-Foxtrot, it might be a good idea to get your house in order before releasing pointless shit like this. It makes you look bad...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

How about bringing back the menu bar? The ribbon imo is still a hot mess because it takes five steps to something when back in the days of Office XP/2003, it’s just two to three steps. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

This all looks horrible to me, the 2007 one was the best, followed by the 2010.

MacOS has always been the best speaking of icons. Also the Ubuntu 18.10 ones aren't that bad

2 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

U2S928C.jpg

Office 97 FTW!

ce99ed69890df0c54a41c1f4a2ea5ad5.png

just yanking your chain....

I actually liked the 2007 file set the best, even though I didn't like the office 2007 program.

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

This all looks horrible to me, the 2007 one was the best, followed by the 2010.

MacOS BeOS has always been the best speaking of icons. Also the Ubuntu 18.10 14.04 LTS ones aren't that bad

I'm sure that's what you meant to say 

?

15 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Art people just failed industrial design

Nothing in the consumer technology world follows industrial design.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

How about bringing back the menu bar? The ribbon imo is still a hot mess because it takes five steps to something when back in the days of Office XP/2003, it’s just two to three steps. 

I think you have it on reverse. You now have options easily accessible, while before you had to dig through menus and sub menus, with little 16x16 icons that can't describe what each feature means due to their small size. The ribbon bar has been shown to make Office easier to use.

I think the 2013 ones are fine. Don't hide 1803 and 1809 from me microsoft, I know what you've done. I'm in your developer group

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

The ribbon bar has been shown to make Office easier to use.

Said by who? Microsoft? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, GoodBytes said:

So that explains all the issues.....

No, not the actual developer group. I'm in the insider group