Why is EVERYONE Buying This Sound Bar??

Buy Vizio Sound Bars
On Amazon: http://geni.us/gM8C
On Newegg: http://geni.us/fCSsLJ4

Buy Sonos Beam on Amazon: IbOjzbh

Sound bars are a growing category in the home theater space. Some can do multi-room audio. Some can do virtual surround sound. Some, like the new Sonos Beam, even have the Google Assistant or Alexa built in. But what about this best-selling value sound bar from Amazon?

Just now, JCBiggs said:

im not buying it. sound bars are trash.

but if that's true....WHY IS EVBERDONE BUYINASDGLAK MITTTTTTT??

Hell Ya Brother!

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Meh. A proper surround-sound receiver plus real speakers ftw.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I have a nice 7.1 sound system in my entertainment room, but tbh it takes up a lot of space and was a pita to run all of the wires for so that they aren't visible not to mention the total cost was probably over 5k.

Now in my living room where is where most of the family show watching happens... we use a 5.1 sounds bar with wireless rear speakers. Which is a lie tbh, it is a wireless sub that plus in to the wall and then you can run the wires from it to the rear speakers, but not having to get the wire from the front of the room to the rear is nice.

So yes my 7.1 sound system is amazing and has a lot of different spatial advantages, but honestly the 5.1 from the soundbar system is really really good. It makes you feel immersed in your show and it isn't really that far off from the 7.1 minus a little extra directional control.

I understand why people knock the sounds bars, but if you go with a 5.1 sound bar they are pretty hard to beat and are MUCH cheaper and take up a lot less space.

I have a similar one on the TV in our three season porch,  behind the TV is a screen wall and you could barely hear the stock speakers because there's nothing for the sound to reflect off of so a front facing sound bar was the answer.

people who buy "sound bars" be like

tenor.gif

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

6 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

people who buy "sound bars" be like

tenor.gif

Really? You can get sound pretty close to a receiver and speaker setup.... plus it is much cheaper overall.

So how are they throwing away their money? Even a 2.1 surround bar is decent especially if their only other option was tv speakers.

Or just 3D print your own sound redirectors. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

At 5:40 there is bit of technical inaccuracy - @LinusTech

The sound bar uses 5 VOLTS (V) not Watts (W)

As you probably now remembered - volts is just the required electricity current to use it, rather than the speaker wattage. As in, 220V is the standard current in the household. The sound bar just converts the 220V AC to 5V DC. Yet I have no idea what is the wattage of the speakers.

Bought that model (or similar) for my parents, because while they like "good sound", they don't want to spend the money or effort for an actual system. 

1. It works great, looks nice when mounted to the wall under their TV. 

2. It has a subwoofer output, so, we just plugged in the powered sub from their old "HT In a box" system, and instantly got an even better sound. A trip to a local thrift store can score you an adequate sub for $20 or less. 

Just stay away from pretty much anything other than Vizio unless you are spending $200 or more. It seems that most other brands in the < $200 range suck compared to Vizio (Bought a $150 Sony bar, and then a $125 panasonic before returning both and getting this vizio for $75).

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

17 minutes ago, ShortyfromLV said:

At 5:40 there is bit of technical inaccuracy - @LinusTech

The sound bar uses 5 VOLTS (V) not Watts (W)

As you probably now remembered - volts is just the required electricity current to use it, rather than the speaker wattage. As in, 220V is the standard current in the household. The sound bar just converts the 220V AC to 5V DC. Yet I have no idea what is the wattage of the speakers.

Usually, yes - but Watts = Amps x Volts, so, in this case it is actually going to draw a maximum of 5W total. Which still doesn't = what the speakers are, but, the point the video is making still stands. 

Vizio doesn't readily give any wattage rating on their website - probably not a selling point when most of the target audience came from the "I just bought a 1500W home theater system for $250 for my rear projection TV" era and would laugh at "5W Speakers". 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

But like why didn't yall test a few more soundbars?

Like the Amazon Basics one, or the one Razor makes?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 hours ago, DatOneLefty said:

Is there any link to the video at https://youtu.be/if9_S_bn2b8?t=2m32s? I know it contains the Channel Super Fun video, but it seems to be a compilation of videos used to test monitors. The video was also in the LG TV video. 

Thanks

I too would like to know if this video is available. 

5 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Really? You can get sound pretty close to a receiver and speaker setup.... plus it is much cheaper overall.

So how are they throwing away their money? Even a 2.1 surround bar is decent especially if their only other option was tv speakers.

Got to agree.  TV speakers....yick.

I don't have a sound bar myself (have monster tower speakers in a 7.1 setup), but I can see the appeal of them as it eats up less space and easier to setup.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

my receiver is an early 90's yamaha with two alesis monitor 1's my dad bought in the early 90s.

he gave it to me for free after 20 years of service. so yeah if you blow 80$ on a soundbar that sounds similar to free speakers then it pretty much is just shoveling money into a fire.

Actually sounds interesting to get one, it’s weird but my tv freezes with certain tones and it’s pretty annoying. Would that work?

Soundbar is a poor man home theater system setup replace the built in TV speakers. Its sound and bass are decent, but if you have the cash, you should get a true home theater system instead. 

8 hours ago, DaPhuc said:

Soundbar is a poor man home theater system setup replace the built in TV speakers. Its sound and bass are decent, but if you have the cash, you should get a true home theater system instead. 

Are you lumping in 5.1 soundbars in that statement? I meant 700ish is cheap compared to the 5k I dropped on my 7.1 setup, but I would hardly call it cheap for some.