Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

weeeeeeeeeee

kels best gril

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I didn't realize you can literally get mildly used hybrid car that gets 59 mpg on the highway for like $13k now.  (2017 hyundai ioniq)

I mean yeah it's a boring car, but that's impressive. You can literally drive new york -> san francisco for a little more than $100 (USD) (2907 mi)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

weeeeeeeeeee

kels best gril

That thing is nuts lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just a question of mine : Why do all car enthusiasts hate electric cars. If it doesn't make enough noise, just get one with a noise generator. They even have faster 0-60 the petrol cars, so why are they hated so much

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

4 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Just a question of mine : Why do all car enthusiasts hate electric cars. If it doesn't make enough noise, just get one with a noise generator. They even have faster 0-60 the petrol cars, so why are they hated so much

Idk if it’s hated so much as it’s just less enjoyable than the classic engine roar we know and love.

like driving my Miata is a totally different experience from a Tesla. The Miata is slow yes; but hearing the engine, the classical hydraulic steering, the lightness, etc. it all gives the car some sort of “character” that is just not something we’ll ever have again. 

the Tesla is fast but it’s just kinda quiet and a bit dull. It’s just /fast/ that’s all it’s got going for it really. Sometimes the experience is more than just going fast. 

electric cars do have their place and are amazing in their own ways though. I do think we need to keep moving forward with them, but I’m ok if combustion cars still exist solely as a hobby/past time. Because I feel like that’s where they truly belong. That said your grandma’s combustion CR-V is worthless to me

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Why do all car enthusiasts hate electric cars

We don't.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 minutes ago, 3 Lions said:

We don't.

Whenever I mention electric cars to anybody who likes cars, 99% are against the idea of them and hate them no matter how they perform

Just now, RTX 3090 said:

Whenever I mention electric cars to anybody who likes cars, 99% are against the idea of them and hate them no matter how they perform

It's mainly down to the infrastucture (or lack thereof). The infrastucture for EV's is pretty poor currently and hasn't improved much since they became more mainstream.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Lions said:

It's mainly down to the infrastucture (or lack thereof). The infrastucture for EV's is pretty poor currently and hasn't improved much since they became more mainstream.

In the UK there is an electric charge point literally 10 miles away from each other. And it's basically free petrol

Just now, RTX 3090 said:

In the UK there is an electric charge point literally 10 miles away from each other. And it's basically free petrol

Yes but there are far too many faulty charging points.

زندگی از چراغ

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

That thing is nuts lol

I miss the choncc-tastic quaife sequential shift lever in the middle but it's a damn impressive feat for a chassis that old. Unsurprisingly he's faster than the top percentile of 911 GT3 cup cars (+3s approx, he's also tuned them for teams) but because its built primarily as a touring car and not outright unlimited time attack, it's noticeably slower than a pure sprint chassis (-6s approx on current record). Would love to see what she can do on a proper set of tires (ditch those ancient PZero hards) and after a proper button up.

Would have loved to be there to shoot it.

Spoiler

ONTA-19-R4+38.jpg?format=2500w

3 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

I wouldn't say all as that's quite unfair. People have different priorities, and theres countless very well thought out discussions on youtube. Coincidentally Sasha, the guy behind the crazy 350Z above, also makes track-oriented suspension mods for the Model 3. Misha (nurburgring god) has also considered buying one for himself. The performance is there if you're willing to compromise, but ownership might not be suitable for everyone

As a city-dweller, outright range and general build quality are the primary concerns (and cost I guess). Buy what you can afford to live with, or splurge on what you want. As a novelty item, the G's in acceleration that a Tesla can achieve are really its only party trick. As a road car that can perform dynamically, the Taycan and etron GT have already shown their upper hand.

This was a great chat. The e is a great car but its range limits it exclusively to urban use (not too different from what the Leaf tried to do). As a bundle proposition (car+infrastructure), any tesla suddenly becomes extremely enticing value-wise. 

If you are combustion-or-bust then there's not much to say to sway you to go BEV. They are fundamentally very different driving experiences.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, RTX 3090 said:

Because they don't like driving cars. They like jerking off over 'performance features'.

cc @terrytek

Did the front brake pads for the first time on my Honda motorcycle. 25k miles seems like a good service life, the rotor was fine, and bedding-in went fine; It's nice to have a fresh set of pads.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

6 hours ago, RTX 3090 said:

Lots of car enthusiasts love electric cars because they are faster and have more torque and that torque is instant, electric 0-60 is far better then gas cars. The biggest downfall is range anxiety and charge time which is why I stick to gasoline cars because they are cheaper and easier to fix. Elon Musk doesnt want you to fix his cars.

29 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

Lots of car enthusiasts love electric cars because they are faster and have more torque and that torque is instant, electric 0-60 is far better then gas cars. The biggest downfall is range anxiety and charge time which is why I stick to gasoline cars because they are cheaper and easier to fix. Elon Musk doesnt want you to fix his cars.

tesla is prooving to literally  be the apple of cars. 

only electric car with a proprietary connector, strict DRM, clean minimalistic interfaces and a cult following

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Orange1 said:

Actually the biggest downside and the main reason a lot of enthusiasts are cold on electric cars is weight. Many, if not most, don't really care about 2 second 0-60 as that gets old pretty fast. But small EV saloons are pushing two tonnes and that 1/3 weight penalty is a lot to overcome in making a car that's actually enjoyable to shepherd along a B-road.

Tesla have come great strides in making electric cars that feel lighter than their kerb weight suggests but  put me in a car park in the Brecon Beacons with a Model 3 Performance and an Alfa Romeo Giulia QV and tell me to pick one to wring the neck of for three hours and there's only one choice really. Then there's also the question of noise. I don't think we've yet acclimatised to the idea of how electric cars sound after over s century of petrol engines.

I'm not cold on electric cars in principle, in fact I'd gladly daily an EV. I just don't think I'd want one as my weekend car. Actually the closest analogy I can think of is Audi S and RS models which offer fantastic all weather performance and big power but are inherently point and squirt and not very engaging or interesting.

Then again I picked an M140i, a car I willingly acknowledge is rather flawed, over an A45 AMG even though the latter is objectively better in most ways so maybe I'm just weird.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

12 hours ago, RTX 3090 said:

We dont. They just arent as appealing. Theres only so much excitement a car that sets off quickly can bring. I drive I-Paces on the daily and yes theyre quick but thats where the excitement stops really, they severely lack in character and you can't really use them for long journeys either due to range limitations and charge times. 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

7 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

Actually the biggest downside and the main reason a lot of enthusiasts are cold on electric cars is weight. Many, if not most, don't really care about 2 second 0-60 as that gets old pretty fast. But small EV saloons are pushing two tonnes and that 1/3 weight penalty is a lot to overcome in making a car that's actually enjoyable to shepherd along a B-road.

Tesla have come great strides in making electric cars that feel lighter than their kerb weight suggests but  put me in a car park in the Brecon Beacons with a Model 3 Performance and an Alfa Romeo Giulia QV and tell me to pick one to wring the neck of for three hours and there's only one choice really. Then there's also the question of noise. I don't think we've yet acclimatised to the idea of how electric cars sound after over s century of petrol engines.

I'm not cold on electric cars in principle, in fact I'd gladly daily an EV. I just don't think I'd want one as my weekend car. Actually the closest analogy I can think of is Audi S and RS models which offer fantastic all weather performance and big power but are inherently point and squirt and not very engaging or interesting.

Then again I picked an M140i, a car I willingly acknowledge is rather flawed, over an A45 AMG even though the latter is objectively better in most ways so maybe I'm just weird.

Wait, could either even make it round for 3 hours without breaking or overheating or going into limp?

I'd be into a Tesla Roadster and I wish there were more electric sports cars in that vein, hopefully with batteries getting higher power density and some lighter materials for batteries coming down in the next decade it'll become more feasible. An electric Caterham would be a lot of fun, or even an electric assisted one with some regen braking and torque assist to complement a naturally aspirated smaller gas engine or to take up for turbo lag on a smaller turbo gas engine. A Caterham 160 with some electric assist would make for a bunch of fun as you'd have torque on tap to rip out of the corners and then could re-charge the assist via regen elsewhere on the circuit when you'd normally be engine braking off throttle. The 160 is already super light, the minor weight penalty imposed wouldn't be that much of a drag and may actually help it's stability if the battery pack is placed in the right location.

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Wait, could either even make it round for 3 hours without breaking or overheating or going into limp?

Most of the QV issues seem to be with infotainment and the like so not likely to be that bothersome on mountain roads unless I get lost. Mechanically they're pretty sturdy!

I can see assist working as there's limited need for storage but on the flip side I'm not sure how much energy capture potential you'd have in something so light. Given the weight of most EV powertrains I'd suspect you might end up ruining one my making it all electric.

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

47 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I'd be into a Tesla Roadster and I wish there were more electric sports cars in that vein, hopefully with batteries getting higher power density and some lighter materials for batteries coming down in the next decade it'll become more feasible. An electric Caterham would be a lot of fun, or even an electric assisted one with some regen braking and torque assist to complement a naturally aspirated smaller gas engine or to take up for turbo lag on a smaller turbo gas engine. A Caterham 160 with some electric assist would make for a bunch of fun as you'd have torque on tap to rip out of the corners and then could re-charge the assist via regen elsewhere on the circuit when you'd normally be engine braking off throttle. The 160 is already super light, the minor weight penalty imposed wouldn't be that much of a drag and may actually help it's stability if the battery pack is placed in the right location.

The whole point of a Caterham is that it's light weight, so a BEV would entirely miss the point. The Honda E, not a large car, is over 1500Kg! And that before you consider where you could put the batteries in the Caterham, it's proper tiny.

Nor in a light weight sports car do you want abundant, instant torque, you'll just break traction. You want a low torque engine that produces power though high revs to give the driver the necessary level of control. EVs need traction control that cannot be turned off, which is not very sports car. Sure in a big heavy saloons/sedans or SUVs, EV drivetrains are a good match, but not in sports cars. 

On 11/6/2020 at 10:03 PM, RorzNZ said:

Still going with the 407 - haven't been on the thread for a long time because I was at university, but getting back into fixing up my car. Really nice to be out working in the summer. I've fitted a Joying HU, moved the amplifier to the boot, fixed and soldered the cabling, ran the cables under the carpet (so hard and gross).

Fixed up a couple scratches and clear coat with some touch-up. My car isn't expensive enough for a good paint job unfortunately. I'm really happy because my car hasn't looked this good in a long time. So excited on what to do next.

Also did not know my rear seats folded like that. So found a lot of yucky junk under it. I don't think any other owner found out you could do that either lol. 

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0028.thumb.jpeg.eb9e6f38b9832a04d17b4955b843de36.jpegIMG_0041.thumb.jpeg.c43f58dff2db7d04b93f4f445d092ccb.jpegIMG_0026.thumb.jpeg.209c58106dbe5ab761c3de1dff4edda3.jpegIMG_0028.thumb.jpeg.eb9e6f38b9832a04d17b4955b843de36.jpegIMG_0037.thumb.jpeg.5099649d29baed2f0cbd20726da36fc7.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0039.thumb.jpeg.9e5615e03452161904f311e630d089f8.jpeg

I approve the choice of the car. Father just swapped his Laguna III for descendant of your 407, 508 II. 

Anyway, yesterday it was summer set cleaning day, the are now back in the storage for about 6 months 😞

img20201003101242.jpg

img20201004102657.jpg

IMG_20201107_133705.jpg

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

5 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

The whole point of a Caterham is that it's light weight, so a BEV would entirely miss the point. The Honda E, not a large car, is over 1500Kg! And that before you consider where you could put the batteries in the Caterham, it's proper tiny.

Nor in a light weight sports car do you want abundant, instant torque, you'll just break traction. You want a low torque engine that produces power though high revs to give the driver the necessary level of control. EVs need traction control that cannot be turned off, which is not very sports car. Sure in a big heavy saloons/sedans or SUVs, EV drivetrains are a good match, but not in sports cars. 

for your second point about breaking traction, can't you just have awesome Traction control so you get the absolute limit of acceleration at any given speed (up until the motor can't do it anymore)? 

I thought that was like the whole idea. Otherwise the fast teslas would be doing burnouts off the line too

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

for your second point about breaking traction, can't you just have awesome Traction control so you get the absolute limit of acceleration at any given speed (up until the motor can't do it anymore)? 

I thought that was like the whole idea. Otherwise the fast teslas would be doing burnouts off the line too

You can...but then you're moving away from the ethos of an ultra raw racecar for the road which is the whole USP of stuff like the Caterhams.