Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, 711jrp said:

95/96 xp  Best bike Seadoo ever made was a beast in it's time still fun today.

110HP in a 450LB watercraft? With a high performance and durable two stroke engine? I'll take two, please!

It's one of best out there, if not the best... for the fun meter, it's hard to beat. That's why I bought a second 96 XP. 

With worx sponsons and a skat trak swirl impeller and R&D nozzles, it's very difficult to beat in hole-shot or in a closed course. 

The newer seadoos are all couches as far as I am concerned.  

The arctic cat sitting next to them is a 96 Arctic Cat thundercat 900 triple. No replacement for displacement, right? :)

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

has anyone known anything about this global time attack record car?

just curious what exterior parts makes this civic illegal for street use in your country (other than headlights that i've seen in other times have been swapped by a carbon remake)? are any of the aero parts making it illegal?

downloadfile-1.bin

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

just realized the picture wasn't displayed right away...

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

4 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

has anyone known anything about this global time attack record car?

just curious what exterior parts makes this civic illegal for street use in your country (other than headlights that i've seen in other times have been swapped by a carbon remake)? are any of the aero parts making it illegal?

downloadfile-1.bin 24.28 kB · 2 downloads

If this is the car that you are talking about... then basically everything... cause fuck europe ... am i right? 

1. engine wont pass emissions or any ecu reading test... or visual inspection of being stock(in some places)
  2. roll cage
  3. 4,5,6 point harnesses are not road legal here, only 3 point seatbelts are
  4. no headlights
  5. no airbags
  6. no wipers
  7. All of the not TUV approved parts
  8. do i need to continue? 

image.png.e685c1e9f9acb38f7b442c635ebfa220.png

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

If this is the car that you are talking about... then basically everything... cause fuck europe ... am i right? 

1. engine wont pass emissions or any ecu reading test... or visual inspection of being stock(in some places)
  2. roll cage
  4. no headlights
  5. no airbags
  6. no wipers

“Time attack” sounds like piles peak.  Looking at your list it wouldn’t be legal in most of the US at least most of the time. basically not street legal anywhere near including the US.  There are a few things that would work in some states but not others.  The emissions test for one.  The belt thing would work in my state but perhaps not others.  Roll cages I think are not  legal everywhere but Actually required, though modern cars have them internally.  Usually.  Those “slam up when tipped” ones are apparently legal now. Seen beetle convertibles with them.  Weren’t for a while.  Couldn’t drive it unless buckled though.  Lack of headlights means it can’t be driven except in daytime, lack of wipers would be state by state.  It’ll earn a citation in mine unless there’s no windshield at all.  They can be hand operated though.  Some old model ts around with hand crank wipers.  I don’t know what TUV is

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

110HP in a 450LB watercraft? With a high performance and durable two stroke engine? I'll take two, please!

It's one of best out there, if not the best... for the fun meter, it's hard to beat. That's why I bought a second 96 XP. 

With worx sponsons and a skat trak swirl impeller and R&D nozzles, it's very difficult to beat in hole-shot or in a closed course. 

The newer seadoos are all couches as far as I am concerned.  

The arctic cat sitting next to them is a 96 Arctic Cat thundercat 900 triple. No replacement for displacement, right? :)

Preaching to the converted I'll get some pictures of my miller 1020 stroked and sleeved twin spark I used to run, that was close to 190HP on 100ll  its still under the stairs at my shop.

Pete

3 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

2. roll cage
  4. no headlights
  5. no airbags
  6. no wipers

wow much restrictions, at least if for any reason i have a Civic like that i wouldn't be doing anything illegal for my aero parts, and just leave the main features of a car like point number 5, 6 be it

the 5 zigen piston and rod in these things are astonishing too, a sleeper version of these could be a well hid firepower

Screenshot_20200406-054730.png

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

so i took the cluster out of my mustang today. ok i did say there was some jank in it.... OH BOY...

20200405_161931.thumb.jpg.abd8e95634befb99c1e5ddfa1f50f03e.jpg

looks like a previous owner did an led mod and then proceeded to electrical tape all of the original bulb contacts, then wired them all to the headlight switch as seen in the other pic below.

OH then it gets slightly more funny. i take it the leds were too bright so they sharpied the actual gauge faces lol, also below inside the spoiler

Spoiler

20200405_162313.thumb.jpg.7b683db4400dc671ca6c5c51cf160402.jpg20200405_163428.thumb.jpg.d8605e76fa016ea1b2999f62822ef1d2.jpg

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

5 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

2. roll cage
  4. no headlights
  5. no airbags
  6. no wipers

1. makes sense but even here in California if it is old enough that doesn't matter.

2. odd restriction they are a safety feature 

3. wtf the better safety system isn't allowed? I know I'm putting in 4 or 5 points in my modded civic

4. daytime legal

5. you don't need those if you had a 5 point oh wait

6. ticket

7. I thought that was Germany only no?

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

the 5 zigen piston and rod in these things are astonishing too, a sleeper version of these could be a well hid firepower

Na J type 10/10 is the way to go. you can drop them into a late 90s to early 2000s civic. there are kitted out J types in odessys that make 1400hp+ but I don't know the civics have enough space under the hood to go that far.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Im not that good with cars but I like the BMW i8. I dont understand if it is petrol or electric

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

1 hour ago, AMD1234 said:

Im not that good with cars but I like the BMW i8. I dont understand if it is petrol or electric

It's a bit of both

Pete

3 hours ago, AMD1234 said:

Tis both

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Anyone who has experience with those early 2000s 55 AMG cars (like the ML55, E55 and CLK55), what's the ownership experience with one of those? I'd love to pick one up in the not-so-distant future, but I'm genuinely curious about reliability and ownership on one of them, especially since I've heard they're decently reliable.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

18 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

“Time attack” sounds like piles peak.  Looking at your list it wouldn’t be legal in most of the US at least most of the time. basically not street legal anywhere near including the US.  There are a few things that would work in some states but not others.  The emissions test for one.  The belt thing would work in my state but perhaps not others.  Roll cages I think are not  legal everywhere but Actually required, though modern cars have them internally.  Usually.  Those “slam up when tipped” ones are apparently legal now. Seen beetle convertibles with them.  Weren’t for a while.  Couldn’t drive it unless buckled though.  Lack of headlights means it can’t be driven except in daytime, lack of wipers would be state by state.  It’ll earn a citation in mine unless there’s no windshield at all.  They can be hand operated though.  Some old model ts around with hand crank wipers.  I don’t know what TUV is

16 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

wow much restrictions, at least if for any reason i have a Civic like that i wouldn't be doing anything illegal for my aero parts, and just leave the main features of a car like point number 5, 6 be it

15 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

1. makes sense but even here in California if it is old enough that doesn't matter.

2. odd restriction they are a safety feature 

3. wtf the better safety system isn't allowed? I know I'm putting in 4 or 5 points in my modded civic

4. daytime legal

5. you don't need those if you had a 5 point oh wait

6. ticket

7. I thought that was Germany only no?

Gonna answer to all 3 posts here together and it does differ between countries in europe so i dont know everything accurately for the whole of europe.

There are multiple emissions standards in Europe as well .. and the cars need to hit the emissions standard it was made for not the current one.

TUV is this and is not just car related... and they are in most if not all of Europe. They basically tell what is and what is not counted as legal.

Main issue is that TUV demands the car to have all the OEM equipment that was in the car when it left the factory .. to be there .... nothing less nothing more ... unless its an OEM option (engine, gearbox and drivetrain swaps need to be engineered and approved by the government) or TUV approved. you can technically drive without lights or wipers or airbags (this one is doable before a certain model year car) .. but you cant pass the inspection .. plus the cops will write you quite a huge ticket if they see you.

Basically .. if you mod your car ... TUV approved stuff or keep it off the roads

What people do over in europe rollcage and harness wise ... is they use bolt in cages and just remove them and the harnesses for the yearly inspections... yes we have mandatory yearly inspections. The better safety system i agree is quite dumb ... but on the other hand it makes sense. Any injuries from a roll cage and lack of airbags can be countered with harnesses and a helmet but what if the crash is between you and an ordinary car? your car is most likely a hell of a lot more rigid in that situation ... 

What i think @Bombastinator meant with the Those “slam up when tipped” ones are different to rollcages... these are basically there to make the car not kill the passengers in a rollover and they come from the factory since its a safety requirement. there are static aftermarket rollover bars that are popular with cars like the miata as an example... i have no clue how legal they are cause i never really cared for roofless cars but, I guess if its TUV approved its legal? but what i meant is the full cage (like in the civic) to make it rigid and not buckle in the event of a bump on the wall or another car ... or also a rollover.

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

your car is most likely a hell of a lot more rigid in that situation ...

right but it would be a similar case if say a honda fit got hit by a X7 that isn't going to be a fair fight.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 4/5/2020 at 10:53 AM, Ordinarily_Greater said:

just realized the picture wasn't displayed right away...

ICYMI @PandaCopyRight

Bonus: OG build from 5 years ago

But also I've shot the other car, which is from Canada. Unfortunately that iteration is no longer with us but the full rebuild is underway. For reference, many of these are full competition vehicles hence their classification in Unlimited class. Lightly modified cars that compete in Street or Street Modified are in most cases still legal for street use or double duty as HPDE.

SIZZLE-18+268.jpg?format=2500w

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

28 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

right but it would be a similar case if say a honda fit got hit by a X7 that isn't going to be a fair fight.

The same as having a car from the 90s in the same accident as a similar class car from 2020, obviously the new one should do a hell of a lot better.
I mean the cars are built to pass certain crash test standards, so yes comparing 2 completely different cars is not really fair, but thats what people always do.

28 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

ICYMI

But also I've shot the other car, which is from Canada. Unfortunately that iteration is no longer with us but the full rebuild is underway. For reference, many of these are full competition vehicles hence their classification in Unlimited class. Lightly modified cars that compete in Street or Street Modified are in most cases still legal for street use or double duty as HPDE.

Have seen that DT video when it came out 😂

On 4/5/2020 at 5:16 PM, 711jrp said:

Preaching to the converted I'll get some pictures of my miller 1020 stroked and sleeved twin spark I used to run, that was close to 190HP on 100ll  its still under the stairs at my shop.

That's a highly sought after engine :) 

Good to know they still exist in the wild... I know I always wanted one!

Im toying with the notion of getting a two stroke RX model from the early 2000s.

Can be had for $1000-$1500 and it's a great platform to mod because the potential is already there for some serious speed. And at this point, you know the motor must have already been updated to the later exhaust manifold o-ring design. You also know the dreaded grey fuel lines have likely been replaced as well. 

That is, if I don't spend all of my extra money on computer parts first.... lol 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

New steeringwheel came in today. All fitted, about 30 minutes total to remove the old one, transfer the electronic and then fit the new one. 

IMG_20200407_133156.thumb.jpg.e087025183fdeccb97cc805961dbd504.jpg

IMG_20200407_133221.thumb.jpg.fa6b7a0a3e6f12a3827aba6638102de5.jpg

If anyone in the UK is looking for a retrim/new steeringwheel, I'd recommend https://royalsteeringwheels.com/ They dd a great job.

RIP the world loses another Mirage GT

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a32067039/gemballa-mirage-gt-wrecked-in-manhattan/

Tried to flee the scene too

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

19 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

RIP the world loses another Mirage GT

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a32067039/gemballa-mirage-gt-wrecked-in-manhattan/

Tried to flee the scene too

Wouldnt surprise me if it doesnt end up getting rebuilt tbh

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

18 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Hard to tell but looks like 60mph?

Also not his first mishap.

Needs to never be allowed to drive again.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

7 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

That's a highly sought after engine :) 

Good to know they still exist in the wild... I know I always wanted one!

Im toying with the notion of getting a two stroke RX model from the early 2000s.

Can be had for $1000-$1500 and it's a great platform to mod because the potential is already there for some serious speed. And at this point, you know the motor must have already been updated to the later exhaust manifold o-ring design. You also know the dreaded grey fuel lines have likely been replaced as well. 

That is, if I don't spend all of my extra money on computer parts first.... lol 

No way!! I have a 2000 Rx last of the carb skis, just did a fresh rebuild last summer great bike, just standard though... love it to bits, you can see it in this picture quite clearly and just about make out m300 and 230 in the background. Plan on doing a full on race rep X4 when I get some time, the miller is out of my old race bike from nearly 20 years ago.

IMG_0459.JPG

Pete